Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2023 10:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416]
Have a PSA 5.45 AK and a WBP 7.62 on order ahead of a potential AWB in my State. Never owned an AK before.

The ban may actually extend to parts so what I want to understand is what spare parts I should have on hand to replace over time, basically what are the wear parts?

Are they pretty standard like with an AR or do they vary by make and model?

Sorry it's a stupid question. I will have a lot to learn over time but may not have a lot of time to order what I'll need.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolts
Recoil.springs.
That's it in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The spare part for an AK is another AK.

You could keep an extra firing pin, extractor, and springs if it made you feel better.  PSA has a lifetime warranty.  If anything does break, they send you a tag and it ships right from you to them, gets fixed, and ships right back to your door.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My take is; there isn't anything an AK that's particularly expensive. Buy a couple basic trigger groups, buy a couple spring kits, at least another bolt. Hell, put Gucci parts in your gun now and make sure you shelf the OE parts.

Take it from a guy that lived in NJ most of his life, to inude the 94-04.   Buy it all now, as much as you can afford. It's an personal and financial investment as various bans hit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
ALG (Geissele) has excellent trigger groups and springs available.

As stated before, extractors and firing pins.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool, it looks like PSA has a field parts kit containing most of what I need. Next really stupid question, are any of these parts common to 7.62 and 5 45 ak's? I assume probably not but I'm completely ignorant here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about that.

Make sure the extractors are compatible there are a few different typesl
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
So an extractor and recoil spring are the 2 main ones?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 2:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Infiltrator] [#8]
My thought on this topic is; two is one, and one is none. If for whatever reason parts availability ceased today, what small parts would render a rifle useless if they were damaged and/or lost? Small parts are relatively cheap and plentiful, so one might as well stock up while we can. I take comfort in knowing that aside from the main components, I have sufficient parts completely re-assemble a rifle if need be.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top