User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2023 12:10:08 AM EDT
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Wish I had waited 6 months and got one of these instead of an ATI. They seem to get good reviews and are built on decent receivers. ATIs main problem seems to be their receivers are crap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:07:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLANTIC-FIREARMS] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
They’re okay. But buy a kit and receiver and get on the hillbilly firearms list.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATLANTIC-FIREARMS:
These are nice builds with a Milled Tortort receiver and Nitride treated barrel , They are perfect SBR ready rifles .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/galil-sar-rifle-battlefield-pick-up-4.jpg
Southern Tactical
View Quote

Pricing things out, they must be building these things for free.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]

I wish ST would offer one with a 14.5’ish barrel and permanent FH. I have no desire to SBR one, but would like one shorter than my IMI (and also one to beat on), without giving up some velocity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I got one from Atlantic. Did a function test of brass 5.56 and some steel Russian. Total of 70 rounds. Ran good, no misfires. But the trigger on mine had bad tigger slap. So I changed it out to an ALG. Solved that issue. Although I’m not impressed with the laser etchings. They are muddled. But that’s nothing, main thing is it runs good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they have any plans to offer an ARM?  I’d gladly ditch my JRA for one. But want an ARM.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
Do they have any plans to offer an ARM?  I’d gladly ditch my JRA for one. But want an ARM.
View Quote

I second this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:17:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#13]

We are searching for ARM Kits but have not been able to locate enough to start a production run at this time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
Do they have any plans to offer an ARM?  I'd gladly ditch my JRA for one. But want an ARM.

We are searching for ARM Kits but have not been able to locate enough to start a production run at this time.

Based on what apex considers an ARM kit, goodluck. The only thing that was ARM was the gas block

Also noticed ATI lowered their price on their galeo. Can I get a partial refund?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered one. Will update when I receive it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got my Galil yesterday! Did not come with night sights, but there is a guy on gunbroker that has the night sight mounting hardware. The meprolight nights sights can be found in stock on Amazon.

Fit and finish seem great for money! Handguard is a bit wobbly, but not awful.

Hopefully range report coming Friday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Updated range report. Only shot at 25 yards today. Groups with M193 were typical of AK accuracy. Windage had to be adjusted to the left, about 75% of available windage adjustment left of center. So not maxed out, but close.

The stock on my rifle is still extremely hard to open and close, even after multiple openings and being lubed.

The worst part is the HORRENDOUS trigger slap. Actually uncomfortable to shoot. I’ve experienced trigger slap on various AK rifles over years, but nothing this extreme.

Best news, rifle ran 100%. This is my first Galil, but the rifles seems to be a tad over gassed, more so than a normal AK, brass goes into the next county.

Not sure of the gas port size necessary to run a Galil SAR, but the one drilled into this barrel is enormous.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RogerRoger:
Updated range report. Only shot at 25 yards today. Groups with M193 were typical of AK accuracy. Windage had to be adjusted to the left, about 75% of available windage adjustment left of center. So not maxed out, but close.

The stock on my rifle is still extremely hard to open and close, even after multiple openings and being lubed.

The worst part is the HORRENDOUS trigger slap. Actually uncomfortable to shoot. I’ve experienced trigger slap on various AK rifles over years, but nothing this extreme.

Best news, rifle ran 100%. This is my first Galil, but the rifles seems to be a tad over gassed, more so than a normal AK, brass goes into the next county.

Not sure of the gas port size necessary to run a Galil SAR, but the one drilled into this barrel is enormous.
View Quote

May want to invest in a kns adjustable gas piston. They make a galil specific one. My Jra galil was over gassed to the point the bolt would cycle so fast it couldn’t eject the casing. Have my kns set to the lowest possible setting and it runs now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:30:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fuatos] [#19]
I finally had some time to unbox the rifles and take a quick look. I first picked up an ARM from James River Arms (JRA). Then a day later, Atlantic posted the SAR from Southern Tactical (ST), so I had to get both. Both were refinished, not the battle field pickup finish.  Both have near equil evidence of being built from issued parts kits with the bumps and bruises you'd expect. I haven't fired them and it doesn't look like I'll be able to until next weekend.

Sar from Southern Tactical:
Good:
Nice even finish
Great length of barrel
Tortort recevier
Internals look excellent
Handguard is not loose
Dust cover with rear sight is snug
Not good:
Front sight hood is smashed and bent
The engraving is poor.
Folding stock is difficult to manipulate, my just take time to work in.

ARM from Jame River Arms
Good:
Internals look excellent
Handguard is not loose
Dust Cover w/ rear sight is snug
The engraving is clean and crisp
Not Good:
Finish isn't as even or uniform.
Pistol grip isn't my favorite, but can be easily replaced.

The SAR will be on top or the right in the pictures. The ARM will be on the bottom or the left in the pictures.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Russ with Southern Tactical has been in touch with me and is resolving the issues I brought up. Classy organization. I hope to see future offerings from them!
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

This is an honest question- Do you own one of these, and have you priced out a Hillbilly Firearms build lately?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Personally, I am a fan.

Jeff and I had a lot of discussions on my build.  When I needed some tuning, he was there for me.  I have a rock solid gun.

Now, (dammit) am thinking of having him build me one more before it's too late.

I do not like AKs as a rule....but my Galil is pretty sweet.  If I could only find a CRISP AK trigger.  ( ALG sucks...and I am a solid Geissele man.  Have Bill call me! )
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have very peculiar CAI Golani AR version. Low round count. It came with a chrome lined barrel.          .   It also came with night sights and box/Paperwork.  Caspian receiver GLNO3379.   I have never heard of them coming with a chrome lined barrel???   Has anyone here.   Gun looks wonderful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
I have very peculiar CAI Golani AR version. Low round count. It came with a chrome lined barrel.          .   It also came with night sights and box/Paperwork.  Caspian receiver GLNO3379.   I have never heard of them coming with a chrome lined barrel???   Has anyone here.   Gun looks wonderful.
View Quote

Are you sure it's actually chromelined and not just labeled as such instead of chrome moly? If so, is it possible someone had the barrel replaced, either shot out the original, wanted a more authentic rifle, or century messed up and they just had it replaced?

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Are you sure it's actually chromelined and not just labeled as such instead of chrome moly? If so, is it possible someone had the barrel replaced, either shot out the original, wanted a more authentic rifle, or century messed up and they just had it replaced?

View Quote
I am positive it's chrome lined.  It's not a shot out gun either. It's actually super clean with low round count.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KrazyBlade] [#25]
I need one of these in my life!  Any idea when more may drop? - DELETED -
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#26]

I've got one on the way from Atlantic. I'll post pics and a review when it comes in. Maybe do a YouTube video or something.

I built a SAR Galil back in the day and eventually sold it off. Its the only gun I've ever sold and regretted.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Weather delays set it back a bit, but it finally came in today.

The safety was super stiff. Couldn’t get it to move at the gun shop when I was picking it up. I did a little adjusting on it and it’s a lot better now. The thumb lever is now usable. The grip screw was sloppy loose, tightened that up. The mag it came with won’t lock in. I bought 10 more from Centerfire. They all fit but some are extremely tight on the final roll of the locking. I suspect the geometry of the front of the magwell. I’ll get out the dykem later when I can dig into it further.

Heading to the range soon to see what it will do.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#28]
Wish I had waited 6 months and got one of these instead of an ATI. They seem to get good reviews and are built on decent receivers. ATIs main problem seems to be their receivers are crap.
View Quote

what is crap about them?  I have over 900 rounds through mine with zero issues.  The only thing I noticed was the FS get slightly loose when it heats up

ETA: I have the ATI Galeo and along with no issue with the function, also Zero trigger slap as well. The only thing I like better about the ST is the bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mustangduckk:

Weather delays set it back a bit, but it finally came in today.

The safety was super stiff. Couldn’t get it to move at the gun shop when I was picking it up. I did a little adjusting on it and it’s a lot better now. The thumb lever is now usable. The grip screw was sloppy loose, tightened that up. The mag it came with won’t lock in. I bought 10 more from Centerfire. They all fit but some are extremely tight on the final roll of the locking. I suspect the geometry of the front of the magwell. I’ll get out the dykem later when I can dig into it further.

Heading to the range soon to see what it will do.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/236406/IMG_9483_jpeg-3098884.JPG
View Quote

First rounds out, I just shot a mag. Daylight was running out.

Trigger slap was substantial. I have an ALG trigger on the way. I think you have to modify them for a Galil but a friend has done this. Plan on swapping the trigger if they are all like this.

It was impacting about 2” left at 25yd. I didn’t have a screwdriver tiny enough to adjust windage.

It shot smooth. Ammo was some brand of M193 I’m trying to finish out from my stash. I think it’s Swiss.

I’ll post pics of fit and workmanship later. I have some comments on this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

what is crap about them?  I have over 900 rounds through mine with zero issues.  The only thing I noticed was the FS get slightly loose when it heats up

ETA: I have the ATI Galeo and along with no issue with the function, also Zero trigger slap as well. The only thing I like better about the ST is the bayonet lug.
View All Quotes

They were(are?) Soft from probably not being heat treated correctly would be my guess and other people's.

I sent mine back twice because the headspace increased. It runs fine now that the bolt has peened the receiver and it hasn't increased enough to cause issues. But when they "fixed it" the second time they had to install the barrel so far in the gas tube pushed back about 1/8" and they cut the dust cover wonky. I took a file to the back of the gastube. Runs fine now, but kinda ghetto.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#31]

They were(are?) Soft from probably not being heat treated correctly would be my guess and other people's.

I sent mine back twice because the headspace increased. It runs fine now that the bolt has peened the receiver and it hasn't increased enough to cause issues. But when they "fixed it" the second time they had to install the barrel so far in the gas tube pushed back about 1/8" and they cut the dust cover wonky. I took a file to the back of the gastube. Runs fine now, but kinda ghetto.
View Quote

well mine is functioning fine, but maybe I need to do a close inspection...
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#32]

View All Quotes

After 900 rounds I'd say you're probably OK. Mine went about 500 when I saw issues. Might not hurt to get a no go gauge or make one with an empty case.

If you got a more recent one it's possible they fixed whatever issue. I just built an AR off an ATI receiver a couple months ago and haven't had/seen anything after 100 rounds so far.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#33]
After 900 rounds I'd say you're probably OK. Mine went about 500 when I saw issues. Might not hurt to get a no go gauge or make one with an empty case.
If you got a more recent one it's possible they fixed whatever issue. I just built an AR off an ATI receiver a couple months ago and haven't had/seen anything after 100 rounds so far.
View Quote

well I hope that is the case then, I just bought it about a month ago.  After all the reading, it seems like a kit build may be the way to go, but I guess if I start having problems, I can send it to a custom builder and just have them fix the problem
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:14:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#34]

well I hope that is the case then, I just bought it about a month ago.  After all the reading, it seems like a kit build may be the way to go, but I guess if I start having problems, I can send it to a custom builder and just have them fix the problem
View Quote

If I was you I would check the headspace(or take it to have it done) before the warranty runs out just as a CYA and for peace of mind.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I just ordered one from Atlantic firearms.

Il do a full review up on my MTS Youtube channel once I get some rounds through it!
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:08:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#36]
Just got my Battlefield pickup in.
I have only shot 4 mags (One all steel case)
but so far functions great.

Trigger slap not really that bad on mine, I will say feels over gassed compared to my ATI Galeo.
One negative: Its missing the wire that holds trigger and hammer spring in place (yes pins started to walk out during shooting).
I am going to install a KNS Galil piston (I have one on hand).
Il do a full review on my MTS channel in about a month when I get some real rounds through it.
" />
" />
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
Just got my Battlefield pickup in.
I have only shot 4 mags (One all steel case)
but so far functions great.

Trigger slap not really that bad on mine, I will say feels over gassed compared to my ATI Galeo.
One negative: Its missing the wire that holds trigger and hammer spring in place (yes pins started to walk out during shooting).
I am going to install a KNS Galil piston (I have one on hand).
Il do a full review on my MTS channel in about a month when I get some real rounds through it.
https://i.imgur.com/X1L5IGP.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/X1L5IGP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0OQdJiW.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/0OQdJiW.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#38]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Just a tease

Southern Tactical Youtube short
View Quote

Another Southpaw
I have a James River Galant on the way. I want the shorty next.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#40]
My ATI rebarreled by a local ARFCOM member:

Attachment Attached File

The head spacing was way off causing broken shell casings on the original barrel. My buddy that rebarreled it to 16 inches said that ATI used spacers between the barrel and the receiver. It now works perfectly.

I should try one of those adjustable gas pistons on my JRA Gallant.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#41]
Update, Im right around 450rds

So far, just one 1 failure to extract which was with Wolf ammo steel case.
Might be gas related, installed KNS piston, had it turned down 24 clicks, no issues very soft.
I went down 2 more clicks to 26, thats when I had failure to extra. Could be just little too light.
" />
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Might be gas related, installed KNS piston, had it turned down 24 clicks, no issues very soft.
I went down 2 more clicks to 26, thats when I had failure to extra. Could be just little too light.
https://i.imgur.com/OJ0ea3P.jpeg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/OJ0ea3P.jpeg
View Quote

OR, your problem could be you are shooting from the wrong side of the rifle
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#43]

https://i.imgur.com/OJ0ea3P.jpeg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/OJ0ea3P.jpeg
View Quote

I like that optic setup.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]

OR, your problem could be you are shooting from the wrong side of the rifle
View Quote

True
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sgt_Fury] [#45]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

This is an honest question- Do you own one of these, and have you priced out a Hillbilly Firearms build lately?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Jeff is a good guy. He does good work and took time out of his schedule to call me at home when I had an issue with headspace on my first galil build. We talked for a good while and he walked me through his process of mating the bolt to the receiver. His prices may not be the cheapest but you definitely get your money's worth and then some with one of his builds. The guy is a wealth of knowledge and a hell of a machinist. Edit to add: I do not own one of his builds I built my galil SAR myself, but have seen a few of his builds and they are very nice.
Also never heard any complaints on any of his work.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norsk] [#46]
These are nice builds with a Milled Tortort receiver and Nitride treated barrel , They are perfect SBR ready rifles .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/galil-sar-rifle-battlefield-pick-up-4.jpg
Southern Tactical
View Quote

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Any ETA on when you'll get more of these from ST?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#47]
Yes this review is named from this thread!

My full review:

Review: Southern Tactical Battlefield Pickup Galil
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Great review.  You did and excellent job.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Great vid and great channel!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 0351:
Great vid and great channel!
View Quote

Thank You
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top