Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2023 5:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apetortribute]
Hey guys i want to buy my first AK and could get a deal on a S.D.M. AK-47 with 1000 rounds of Chinese Surplus (for 1000€ but German prices are not comparable to US). Any thoughts on the quality of the AK and if Chinese Surplus is any good?

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure on the SDM brand , but Polytech and Norinco AK's were and are very good. It's difficult for US guys to comment much , since most Chinese imports stopped sometime in the early 90's. Ammo , both mil and commercial , was always solid in my experience. I'd buy if I had the chance.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Underfolder spiker would be more desirable, but Chicom AK's are solid built guns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh damn i didnt know you guys stopped importing Chinese Guns :/ Sounds good i will give it a try then! Only heard they like to rust easily but ill just keep it nicely cleaned and lubricated.

I really prefer the look of the wooden stock over an underfolder tbh
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Apetortribute:
Oh damn i didnt know you guys stopped importing Chinese Guns :/ Sounds good i will give it a try then! Only heard they like to rust easily but ill just keep it nicely cleaned and lubricated.

I really prefer the look of the wooden stock over an underfolder tbh
View Quote

Looks like the SDM is an AKM copy. I never knew those existed until now. Interesting. Probably a good rifle but any firearm that is made for export only can be hit or miss with the Chinese.

Our pre-bans were various Type 56's (more similar in profile and specs to the Russian Type III AK-47 than the AKM) in semi-auto mode (a couple thousand full auto Norinco's were intentionally shipped to California in 96 sparking the total China rifled barrel firearm and ammo embargo).

Our pre ban (evil features) and post ban (thumbhole stock etc.) rifles were manufactured in the same gov. factories along side their military production arms in the mid 80s to mid 90s so the quality checks and metallurgy were no doubt well enforced . We can only get Chinese shotguns and air guns now and their quality is spotty but at least the price reflects that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:02:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apetortribute] [#5]
Well i decided today to spend a bit more money towards quality. I have bought a polish made (All new parts no surplus) AKM Copy and Hungarian Surplus Ammo. Looking forward to taking it out to the range!
Any tips on what side optic mount to get?

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Not sure on the SDM brand , but Polytech and Norinco AK's were and are very good.
View Quote

SDM is....different.

SDM AK-103 review (ft. 9-Hole Reviews)
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Except for the bayonet lug location it looks very similar to the normal US preban Chinese 56S.  Good rifles.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top