Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/14/2022 5:56:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs]
https://atlanticfirearms.com/galil-type-galeo-pistol-polymer

Back in 1986 or 1987 I held an original IMI Galil as a small boy at the local gun shop. Have wanted one ever since.  

Questions:
I know it's 223 but it basically is a milled AK. Will this take standard 7.62x39 fire control groups - Tapco G2, Romanian, Yugo, etc?

How about a master mount side optics mount? I know potential problems with the charging handle being vertical.
https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/AK-Master-Mount-Gen-3-AK-Master-Mount.htm

I read there might be some fitting issues with metal 35rd Galil mags. Are the receivers tight? Can I open them with sandpaper / a dremmel?

I see some deformed bolts. Are replacement bolts available? Is it just a matter or work hardening?

I would like to put a standard Galil folding stock on it. Instead of SBR'ing it, I would like to pin and weld a long flash hider on it.
Any recommendations?  

Would this work or can someone recommend something better?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393953382300

In the short term I plan to swap the buffer tube for a standard tube and use a SBA3 brace.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#1]
There are galil specific fire controls.  The safety is definitely different.  Ak triggers can be filed and fitted into galils.

A master mount will mount up.  Its a lot more work just getting everything installed, but it'll fit.  The issue i had is the galil selector does not want to hop over the screw head for the master mount.  So i could only hit safe and full auto, but not the semi position.  I thought about milling a shallow slot in the safety to clear the screw head.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
There are galil specific fire controls.  The safety is definitely different.  Ak triggers can be filed and fitted into galils.

A master mount will mount up.  Its a lot more work just getting everything installed, but it'll fit.  The issue i had is the galil selector does not want to hop over the screw head for the master mount.  So i could only hit safe and full auto, but not the semi position.  I thought about milling a shallow slot in the safety to clear the screw head.
View Quote

Thanks I appreciate the feed back. I'll have some playing to do when I get it in my hands probably Saturday or Monday.
Plan to take it completely apart - removing the fire control group and comparing it to my AKM's (built 4 from kits back the in the day).
I'm not afraid to open the magazine well if it's too tight for steel mags.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#3]
The issues i saw with mags was not that the mags didn't fit, but the gun wouldn't feed reliability from surplus mags.  And they are only warrantied to run from the included crapco magazine.  Those were the initial reports years back, so maybe they fixed the build process by now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#4]
That brings up a question, are the metal surplus mags different than AK 223 mags?

How about Fire Control Group's will a 223 AK FCG work?

I have a feeling this is new old stock @ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
As stated before the Galil guts are little different. A standard AK FCG will probably work but may require some fitting.

I have an SAR built on one of those receivers. Mine likes surplus mags. Run great. Accuracy is meh though. I do need to confirm zero on it and shoot it more or just drop an optic on it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I had no major issues using surplus mags in my Galeo rifle. Some mags needed minor fitting on the latch but most worked as is. Don’t let that frustrate you. I also added a surplus bipod and wood foregrip to mine easily.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Ran 4 surplus mags through it. It runs fine BUT it's going back to ATI. The 3rd position works if you know what I'm saying.
Y'all might want to check your 3rd positions...
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By drobs:
That brings up a question, are the metal surplus mags different than AK 223 mags?
View Quote

They won’t fit.
I modified some to fit but a few didn’t want to lock securely into the magwell
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Frens:

They won’t fit.
I modified some to fit but a few didn’t want to lock securely into the magwell
View Quote

Surplus mags work in it. But see above.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Ran 4 surplus mags through it. It runs fine BUT it's going back to ATI. The 3rd position works if you know what I'm saying.
Y'all might want to check your 3rd positions...
View Quote

Why send it back? Grind the tail off the disconnector.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#11]
Warranty work.

I just mailed mine back today. And another member recently sent his back.

Might want to check your bullet guide. The "work hardening" seems to be from it. Someone in another thread mentioned it, and after I looked at mine and compared it to other pictures it looks like mine was installed incorrectly. There's a gap on the right side. If I had to guess that's why my headspace seems to be on the edge of being ok but really isn't. It's high on the left side and not letting the bolt function correctly and beating the shit out of the carrier like in the other thread. They're suppose throw cases like 20 feet, mines more like 50.

If iz you I'd probably but a few hundred rounds through it and see what it looks like.

If they send the shit back to me without fixing it I'm buying a case of ammo and doing mag dumps until it fucks up and quits functioning, then send it back and they can replace the bolt and carrier and might actually fix it. Pretty sure that's what would happen by looking at it. The channel on the carrier would get so worked out it wouldn't cycle properly. I see used bolts online and they look nothing like what me and the other member has going on.

As far as mags, I picked up some of the new imi rock and lock, and they fit great, also picked up a 50 rounder that is kinda sketchy as far as inserting it. Most of my shooting so far as been with the tapco just because of the warranty thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I figured out my issue. When they put it together they didn't trim the tab on the safety. When the safety is in the "middle" position on the receiver it pushes the sear or disconnector to the left, allowing the hammer to follow the bolt, with ignition. Oddly controllable ignition...

I need to trim the tab on the safety so it clears the sear.

Also finding the chamber is tight. Had 3 Winchester M855 cases torn leaving the head of the brass in the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Why send it back? Grind the tail off the disconnector.
View Quote

I think it's the safety that needs to be ground a smidge.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]

I think it's the safety that needs to be ground a smidge.
View Quote

Can't hit a tail if it's not there.

Got any pics of inside?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Can't hit a tail if it's not there.

Got any pics of inside?
View Quote

Good point.

Everything looks normal / Ak-ish. No rate reducer 3rd pin. I thought they sent me the wrong gun... The springs seem small compared to Romanian G springs.

I'll get some pics later.

One of the AK building steps, 20 years ago, was to trim the safety. I trimmed all 4 of mine on my Romanian G builds w/ Tapco G2 FCG's. Wondering if I would've had this same issue back then had I not trimmed them and used the original FCG's.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I figured out my issue. When they put it together they didn't trim the tab on the safety. When the safety is in the "middle" position on the receiver it pushes the sear or disconnector to the left, allowing the hammer to follow the bolt, with ignition. Oddly controllable ignition...

[color=#ff0000]Also finding the chamber is tight. Had 3 Winchester M855 cases torn leaving the head of the brass in the chamber.
View Quote

[/color]

Are you saying the rim of the case ruptured and the case was stuck in the chamber?

That sounds more like the gun is way over gassed (Aks are usually a bit over gassed but ripping off case rims is excessive) - allowing it to open so abruptly it isn't letting enough time for the case to stop expanding in the chamber and its being ripped off by rapid forces.

Have you tried it with other ammo?  what are the results?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:44:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#17]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

[/color]

Are you saying the rim of the case ruptured and the case was stuck in the chamber?

That sounds more like the gun is way over gassed (Aks are usually a bit over gassed but ripping off case rims is excessive) - allowing it to open so abruptly it isn't letting enough time for the case to stop expanding in the chamber and its being ripped off by rapid forces.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

[color=#ff0000]Also finding the chamber is tight. Had 3 Winchester M855 cases torn leaving the head of the brass in the chamber.

[/color]

This is what is being left in the chamber. 3x in "full semi-auto" with 62gr Winchester M855:

Attachment Attached File

Tried some Wolf Steel Case - no issues.

Tried some Tula Steel Case - 20rds fired and ejected. Next mag, the bolt tore the rim off a fired cartridge case, leaving the complete cartridge case in the chamber. All of my AR15's do the exact same thing with this ammo.

I'll try some PMC today. Plus post receiver pics a little later today.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]

This is what is being left in the chamber. 3x in "full semi-auto" with 62gr Winchester M855:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Cut_case_JPG-2456051.JPG

Tried some Wolf Steel Case - no issues.

Tried some Tula Steel Case - 20rds fired and ejected. Next mag, the bolt tore the rim off a fired cartridge case, leaving the complete cartridge case in the chamber. All of my AR15's do the exact same thing with this ammo.

I'll try some PMC today. Plus post receiver pics a little later today.
View Quote

I'd check the headspace if you can easily get some no go gauges- It may be excessive, allowing the case to not fully seat forward and the case expand / rupture.

I am leaning towards excessive/over gassed - either way I would want the factory to take a look at it. The only way it could be over gassed is the gas port is excessive size (hole drilled in the barrel).  The larger the hole the more gas comes out of the barrel and hits the piston - too much gas can push the bolt carrier back with excessive power to rip a case off.  Steel cased ammo might be fiaring better because steel is stronger than brass to hold together the empty case.

If it is excessive headspace they will have to move the barrel backwards a few thousandths to get it to headspace correctly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#19]

I'd check the headspace if you can easily get some no go gauges- It may be excessive, allowing the case to not fully seat forward and the case expand / rupture.

I am leaning towards excessive/over gassed - either way I would want the factory to take a look at it. The only way it could be over gassed is the gas port is excessive size (hole drilled in the barrel).  The larger the hole the more gas comes out of the barrel and hits the piston - too much gas can push the bolt carrier back with excessive power to rip a case off.  Steel cased ammo might be fiaring better because steel is stronger than brass to hold together the empty case.

If it is excessive headspace they will have to move the barrel backwards a few thousandths to get it to headspace correctly.
View Quote

How does that work? I mean the gas port has already been drilled. Is the only option to install a new barrel?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Waiting for some parts to come in - replacement disconnector.
Then will trim it.

May polish the chamber.

I guess I ought to order a couple head spacing gauges.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

How does that work? I mean the gas port has already been drilled. Is the only option to install a new barrel?
View Quote

Perhaps a barrel change if over-gassing alone is the root cause - that would be the most proper way.  

There are more ways that are not as "professional" for a factory job such as removing the gas block, plugging the old holes and cuts, rotating the barrel and re drilling another hole - and new headspace -  That is not the best or easiest way but could work if another barrel isn't easy to source.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Waiting for some parts to come in - replacement disconnector.
Then will trim it.

May polish the chamber.

I guess I ought to order a couple head spacing gauges.
View Quote

It wouldn't hurt, the barrels could be a little rough or tight in the throat holding the brass while ejection takes place and rips the case.

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Nice looking gun - that is for sure.  The Bonesteel Brace would look the part on that - looks similar to a real Galil stock in shape.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Nice OP!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#26]
My LGS has the ATI pistol with a brace and 10 tapco mags for $1100. They are willing to trade my straight up for my Smith 1911 with some wilson upgrades. The tapco mags being very hard to find seems like a good deal. Think I am going to pull the trigger....pun intended.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By lsufan1971:
My LGS has the ATI pistol with a brace and 10 tapco mags for $1100. They are willing to trade my straight up for my Smith 1911 with some wilson upgrades. The tapco mags being very hard to find seems like a good deal. Think I am going to pull the trigger....pun intended.
View Quote

I cant find Tapco mags anywhere.

Pop the top cover, remove the bolt and carrier, & check the disconnector. Does it have a tail seen in the below pic? You'll want to grind that off...

https://www.apexgunparts.com/galil-disconnector-spring-vg.html

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:36:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#28]
Picked up a JRA. They also use the original FCG. However they cut more of the tail off the safety selector. The disconnector still has it's full tail in the Jame River Armory Galil. Looking at my ATI, it just needs a smidge more cut off the tail.

Attachment Attached File

Crazy - all you need is 1 part...
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked up a JRA. They also use the original FCG. However they cut more of the tail off the safety selector. The disconnector still has it's full tail in the Jame River Armory Galil. Looking at my ATI, it just needs a smidge more cut off the tail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Galil_safety_tail_JPG-2497335.JPG

Crazy - all you need is 1 part...
View Quote

Smart to get a JRA. ATI installed a new barrel and lapped the piss out of my whole gun. Almost all of the finish is off my bolt and bolt tail. Half of the underside of my carrier and where it sits on the rails, also some wear on the rails. But didn't actually get much of where the lugs make contact just hoping since there isn't as much space the left lug will start to wear more and even everything up some.

Differently wouldn't buy one again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#30]
@drobs

How is this working out?  Any bolt peening?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#31]
@CPT_CAVEMAN

Did they fix yours?  Any more issues?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#32]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
@CPT_CAVEMAN

Thanks!
View Quote

@firedog51d

So ya, after looking at it they had to push the barrel so far back it pushed the gas tube about 1/8-1/4 of an inch past flush. I sent it back, told them exactly what needed to be done and they just cut a new dust cover and sent it back to me. I just decided to fix it myself and had them mail me a new dust cover. I filed and sanded the gas tube and now everything fits decent. The left lug looks to be wearing ok now, so hopefully everything lasts.

Definitely wouldn't buy another one. Receivers are really out of spec from what little I know and see from working on mine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]

@firedog51d

So ya, after looking at it they had to push the barrel so far back it pushed the gas tube about 1/8-1/4 of an inch past flush. I sent it back, told them exactly what needed to be done and they just cut a new dust cover and sent it back to me. I just decided to fix it myself and had them mail me a new dust cover. I filed and sanded the gas tube and now everything fits decent. The left lug looks to be wearing ok now, so hopefully everything lasts.

Definitely wouldn't buy another one. Receivers are really out of spec from what little I know and see from working on mine.
View All Quotes
@CPT_CAVEMAN

Thanks!

@firedog51d

Dang! What a hot mess that is.  Looks like I will pass on the used one here locally.  Under 1K with some extras but not worth the hassle.

thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't noticed any bolt peening. I ran 6 surplus mags through it this afternoon. Had 3 failures to eject. I'm going to have to start marking mags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Haven't noticed any bolt peening. I ran 6 surplus mags through it this afternoon. Had 3 failures to eject. I'm going to have to start marking mags.
View Quote

How many rounds total do you have through it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#36]
Mine took a shit after 220 rounds.  Headspace was out of spec after I submitted Form1.  SBR approval came back in 7 days.   Gun was sent back to ATI.  Came backed fixed but with more HS that I would like to see.  

I would not do it again.  Now I have SBR that is suspect at best.  I’m afraid to put too many rounds through it.

Don’t do it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By unrock:
Mine took a shit after 220 rounds.  Headspace was out of spec after I submitted Form1.  SBR approval came back in 7 days.   Gun was sent back to ATI.  Came backed fixed but with more HS that I would like to see.  

I would not do it again.  Now I have SBR that is suspect at best.  I’m afraid to put too many rounds through it.

Don’t do it!!!!
View Quote

Was it in spec before?

I doubt many of us would rush out and buy gauges and check for a new gun that should be in spec - But curious what happened -

Was it in spec or asymptomatic /no apparent problems and then had some failures related to excessive headspace?

Too bad, I had thought of these pistols when I see the price hovering around what a receiver and kit would cost.

I wonder how it would stretch so much.  The bolts should be good steel, they are threaded barrels,
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I just bought one today and I hope I dont run into issues. Got a good deal on it, I think....delivered sub 1K. Hoping I aint gettin hosed....
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I really don't do round counts but I'd guess just under 500rds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 2:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MSOGDAWG] [#40]

View All Quotes

If I read the thread correctly you have not had issues with yours, other than the minor ones you self corrected, right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#41]
A question for you guys who are having issues, what were the signs?  Any pics or did I miss them?

I looked at that used one again.  It had no obvious bolt peening, lungs looked good w/uniform wear, hand cycled well.  

I would 1K out the door but it might be worth it w/the extras.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#42]
Mine ran fine for about 180 rounds with all the mags.  It started to FTFs and FTEs every 5 to 10 rounds after that.  

It swallowed field gage with the original bolt. I took the bolt out of my IWI ACE and bolt would not close on NO Go.  End up running 40 rounds without any issues.  The gun went back to ATI next day.

The signs aren’t typically visible.  The right receiver lug usually shows abnormal ware.  But very difficult to spot with naked eye.

I would buy for $500 another wise not worth the hassle.  New one run about $1K and you can send back for warranty work.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the info.

I think I will pass on these and build a kit build instead or look for something else.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#44]
A question for you guys who are having issues, what were the signs?  Any pics or did I miss them?

I looked at that used one again.  It had no obvious bolt peening, lungs looked good w/uniform wear, hand cycled well.  

View Quote

It's not the bolt. It's the channels/lugs on the receiver. Mine was exactly like unrock. Right channel wear a crap ton in about a few hundred rounds which caused FTE issues and abnormal wear.

Strip the bolt out of the carrier and lock it into battery in the receiver.  Bet it sits at an angle, like the right lug/channel is too short.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pics after shooting mine the other day. Note the fired casing in the action...
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#46]

Is it pressing up against your ejector? From the pic it looks like there is a bunch of space between the action/right bolt lug and the receiver.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#47]

It's not the bolt. It's the channels/lugs on the receiver. Mine was exactly like unrock. Right channel wear a crap ton in about a few hundred rounds which caused FTE issues and abnormal wear.

Strip the bolt out of the carrier and lock it into battery in the receiver.  Bet it sits at an angle, like the right lug/channel is too short.
View All Quotes

Can that be fixed by hand or does it need to go to a shop?  

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Not an expert, but would think it needs to go back to the shop if it's bad enough. Need to get the opposite channel/lug to wear somehow to balance it out, would think anyway.

My bigger concern for mine is the ejector wearing so much it no longer ejects or isn't reliable.  Can always install another barrel and bolt in the future, but not sure you can fix a worn ejector
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:54:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tomelroy1] [#49]
that is alot of work to fix...  If you are getting contact on the left lug and have a 020-.030 gap on the right receiver lug...remachine the left receiver lug, now the bolt rotation timing likely needs to be advanced (bullet guide moved rearward).  Headspace will now be .020 .030 over nogo, new barrel or old (if you get lucky) will likely need the shoulder turned down to headspace properly.  (Headspace guages are a must for any US galil clone owner....never trust a clone....ever....dont shoot them till you understand how to use them either....the guy that built it likely doesnt, so do not assume he does....and keep checking it as your round count increases)
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:45:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#50]
I ground some more off the flag (above red line) on the selector. Now it's fully semi-auto...
Attachment Attached File

I didn't want to remove the FCG to cut the tail of the disconnector as the spring configuration looks complex. I have problems replacing shepherd's hooks in standard AKM's.

Is it (the bolt) pressing up against your ejector?
View Quote

The bolt stem is resting on the ejector but it's level (not on angle / pressing up):

Attachment Attached File

"From the pic it looks like there is a bunch of space between the action/right bolt lug and the receiver."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'll shoot some more mags though it in the next couple of days. I hate wasting ammo on malfunctioning guns but this one seems to be running ok-ish. My $300 PSA AR15's feed fire and eject better but they have new production magazines.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top