Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2024 1:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin]
Took this out recently from getting it back from the builder. Put a mag or two through it, zero malfunctions but extremely overgassed. Installed a KNS piston and took it back out yesterday. This kept happening while trying to adjust the piston. Seemed to do it with both a lot of gas, and with little gas. I believe i had more issues with a full mag than empty. I only brought 1 magazine and I am unsure if it's the same mag I originally had zero failures with.

You can see it picked up a new round which is nearly chambered, but the little edge on the front of the carrier has also picked up a round and ran it into the reciever. Attachment Attached File

Update post below
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#1]
It's stripping 2 rounds meaning the magazine or rounds are sitting too high?

Might make sense why it's doing it with a full mag, all the pressure it pushing them up?

Lips are stretched/messed up?

Bet someone on here knows for sure, maybe they'll reply
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd suspect the magazine. I'd try another mag first.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a live round in the chamber or a spent round?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
Is that a live round in the chamber or a spent round?
View Quote

Live
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Extractor condition?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Had this same malfunction multiple times with a proven reliable 556 AK.  Was 100% the magazine in that case.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you look for in the magazine that indicates stretched feed lips? Is there a measurement you need to verify or is it a visible sign? I have a bunch of surplus magazines and few have feeding issues at the end of the magazine and I would like to be able to check them. Could it be a mag spring issue, or just rough inside magazine finish/dirt?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:
What do you look for in the magazine that indicates stretched feed lips? Is there a measurement you need to verify or is it a visible sign? I have a bunch of surplus magazines and few have feeding issues at the end of the magazine and I would like to be able to check them. Could it be a mag spring issue, or just rough inside magazine finish/dirt?
View Quote

In your case I would look at this first. As far as the other, visual inspection and you could measure/compare to known good magazines.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#9]
I was able to aquire 2 new production galil rock and lock mags. I shot a hundred rounds or so of some reman junk and had 0 malfunctions.

KNS piston tamed this beast beautifully
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
I was able to aquire 2 new production galil rock and lock mags. I shot a hundred rounds or so of some reman junk and had 0 malfunctions.

KNS piston tamed this beast beautifully
View Quote
Glad you found your issue.  If I ever see this, I'll know what I am looking at.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
A different mag may have fixed the symptom, but the root cause is a sharp edge or bur on your bolt.

See pic.  That corner edge needs a very slight radius on it to prevent it from dragging the #2 round forward.

Tony

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top