Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2023 4:43:36 PM EDT
Just curious...
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#1]
In reality probably because the garand thumb video
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The gen 1 aces look like the old school Galil.  The gen 2 lol like shit.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
The gen 1 aces look like the old school Galil.  The gen 2 lol like shit.

View Quote

You can do a plastics delete kit on a gen 2 and it looks really good at the receiver end.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a micro galil and get a longer barrel?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#6]
For me the only positive on the Gen 2 is the right side safety.  It can be added to the Gen 1, everything else I have found pointless.  
With the lightest AR stock (B5 CAR15 replica) and Occam Defense sights the Gen 2 still is 2 ounces heavier than the Gen 1.  Magpul stock that came with the Gen 2 added 3 or 4 ounces if I recall.
The Gen 1 has an old school Galil stock on it.  If I could have found another Gen 1 I would not have gotten the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder why IWI stopped production of the Gen 1 and moved to the Gen 2...
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
For the same reason that the classic Galil is more sought after than any ACE.

People go Galil so that they can feel the history and get the flavor.

Nobody seriously thinks that a Galil can hang with even the most basic AR of any type- they don't want to shoehorn it into being a poor approximation of the AR look without the ergonomics, reliability, or performance.

Commercial users want the classic Galil, and they can get it thanks to the bazillion parts kits that have arrived.

Professional users want AR, so they try out for the varsity squad of whatever entity they belong to so they can ditch the Galil (or Tavor), the Galil (or FAL), the ACE, etc and get an AR.

And it's not a ding on the Galil either- nobody wants to have to fight with an AK or a Quetzalcoatl rifle either.  

Those are the facts.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

My understanding is the Galil ACE is still being sold to international military and police units  and to keep it modern and competitive it needed folding sights and a free float rail.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I'll bet that any new deliveries you see are Colombian Indumil ACE/ Cordova rifles sold cheaply.

IMI probably isn't making the ACE, or any sales.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:51:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#11]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikev101:

Nobody seriously thinks that a Galil can hang with even the most basic AR of any type- they don't want to shoehorn it into being a poor approximation of the AR look without the ergonomics, reliability, or performance.

Commercial users want the classic Galil, and they can get it thanks to the bazillion parts kits that have arrived.

Professional users want AR, so they try out for the varsity squad of whatever entity they belong to so they can ditch the Galil (or Tavor), the Galil (or FAL), the ACE, etc and get an AR.

And it's not a ding on the Galil either- nobody wants to have to fight with an AK or a Quetzalcoatl rifle either.  

Those are the facts.

View Quote

The galil/ak are more reliable in cold weather, that's just a fact. Would pick one over just about any AR. And doubt you'd be able to take advantage of the AR range in a windy cold environment
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Those are the facts.

View Quote

I agree with most of your opinion except the "Professional user" part.  Go to the AKFiles/Galil subforum.  MAKAK47 has a huge thread depicting Galil Ace users from around the world.  I'd venture to say these are "professional users" as well.  

Those are also the facts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: berserker19] [#13]
It's not flashy but it's a great gun that just performs. The free floated barrel on my gen 2 is way more accurate than I expected. It's not 1990 anymore so I'm not losing sleep over losing fixed irons. I would take this gun into the jungle/desert/arctic or any extreme conditions theatre over any of my other rifles any day. The plastic mag well of the 5.56 may not appeal to the edge lords that have to have a "classic look" but it works great as an actual mag well for reloads.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:

But the GEN 2 still doesn't have the front and rear sights of the old school original galil, and that is what most people want.

When you delete the sights, you basically have a really, really heavy AK with no sights, and a weird plastic lower kludged onto it, and no way to backdate it to look like the original galils.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

The Gen 1 ACE wasn't bad, but...Only classic Galils at my house.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#15]
Like Sven said, the Gen 2 lacks the classic styling/profile of the iconic Galil. The rail is ugly and ungainly, the sights are omitted, and the stock sucks.

The Gen 2 has a better safety lever but that’s the only improvement

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikev101] [#16]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

The galil/ak are more reliable in cold weather, that's just a fact.
View Quote

Only according to the sheriffs of hee-haw town, near the North Pole.

The only way to best the AR in cold weather is to pour water directly into the rifles and then freeze them for an hour or so.

Then you can say that the suboptimal AK safety has an advantage in breaking the ice... and the suboptimal AK mag change has an advantage in breaking the ice... and then, OH SHIT... your mag spring is frozen inside an ice cube too because of this goofy and unrealistic test, and none of that matters.

It's not just a low percentage scenario- it's a never happened scenario.

The fact that one must conjure such ridiculousness to even mount a challenge is actually further testament to the superiority of the platform.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikev101] [#17]
Originally Posted By kenzo:

I agree with most of your opinion except the "Professional user" part.  Go to the AKFiles/Galil subforum.
View Quote

Those guys are all JV- I said Varsity.

Every country on earth has a locally manufactured rifle for Buy America Act/ Berry Act type reasons that they give to conscripts and JV.

When you make the Varsity squad you get the professional tool- the AR pattern rifle.

This is the same in every country.

See the SOF guys who rescued the kids in Colombia? Colombia fields the ARM and the ACE, right? Not to the major leagues though.

Does any SOF element of the home-of-the-Galil actually field the Galil... where one half of their armed forces are worthless conscripts and the entire other half calls themselves one flavor of SOF or another?

Even Rooskie Spetsnaz guys run ARs when they aren't forced to turn their AKs into poor approximations of ARs and shoot stinky 5.45.

Everyone gets an AR when they make it to the big leagues- all over the world.

For the rest just doing their time and passing through? There is always some weird local brewed ACAR variant of the Steyr AUG, or the "G36 on the outside" Aztec Warrior Rifle, or some other injection molded AR-18 type with swappable ejection, or even leftover Cold War stuff like FNCs or AKs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
Just curious...
View Quote

Lighter, has iron sights

The Gen 2 has no after market handguards for it yet that are lighter

Most important: Gen 1 looks like the real ACE 21/31 etc

https://iwi.net/ace/
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#19]
This is not GD, this is not the forum for this level of discussion-HM
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:56:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#20]

Link Posted: 7/30/2023 12:24:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#21]
Yep, its the missing irons as well as the ugly ass heavy handguard, with no options for aftermarket ones.

The gen2 handguards look like they were designed for the costa-grip crew.  The mega long rail is not everybody's cup of tea.
I wouldn't mind a gen2 if there was some way to get rid of the handguard.

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#22]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#23]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:04:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#25]
It's been addressed-HM
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#26]

Anyway, back to the "tech".

For me it's entirely the iron sights.  I have a couple of AKs, but I would REALLY like the left hand charging and a less AK safety, but would also really love to have real sights.  Hence, the reason I'd LOVE to get my hands on a gen 1 7.62x39.  It's one of those "Damn, I shoulda bite the bullet and bought one when they WEREN'T at a premium" sort of thing.  

Just offhand, I seem to remember seeing an ACE in a BBC pic from somewhere in central America a couple weeks ago and I believe it was a 2 with a flat top and some random MagPul-y looking flip ups on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#27]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 2:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: berserker19] [#28]
Originally Posted By SnaitN:

Anyway, back to the "tech".

For me it's entirely the iron sights.  I have a couple of AKs, but I would REALLY like the left hand charging and a less AK safety, but would also really love to have real sights.  Hence, the reason I'd LOVE to get my hands on a gen 1 7.62x39.  It's one of those "Damn, I shoulda bite the bullet and bought one when they WEREN'T at a premium" sort of thing.  

Just offhand, I seem to remember seeing an ACE in a BBC pic from somewhere in central America a couple weeks ago and I believe it was a 2 with a flat top and some random MagPul-y looking flip ups on it.
View Quote

The occam defense sights are great on a gen 2 and better than the irons on the gen 1. Check them out.  They have multiple options to rotate through including an open topped combat sight through medium and very fine peep for long range.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 3:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#29]
Originally Posted By berserker19:

The occam defense sights are great on a gen 2 and better than the irons on the gen 1. Check them out.  They have multiple options to rotate through including an open topped combat sight through medium and very fine peep for long range.
View Quote

Yep, Occam Defense sights are perfect for the Gen 2.  Still waiting on their backorder.  Website says week of 21 August.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Only according to the sheriffs of hee-haw town, near the North Pole.

The only way to best the AR in cold weather is to pour water directly into the rifles and then freeze them for an hour or so.

Then you can say that the suboptimal AK safety has an advantage in breaking the ice... and the suboptimal AK mag change has an advantage in breaking the ice... and then, OH SHIT... your mag spring is frozen inside an ice cube too because of this goofy and unrealistic test, and none of that matters.

It's not just a low percentage scenario- it's a never happened scenario.

The fact that one must conjure such ridiculousness to even mount a challenge is actually further testament to the superiority of the platform.
View Quote

Your SN is not fitting lol

But the tests are still the tests. I mean if I'm in a cold environment I'm going with the AK based on those vids. The probability of it happening are slim but still nice to have that piece of mind.

Ice thaws and refreezes etc.

Could they have done the tests better? Sure, but they give a general idea overall
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:00:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikev101] [#31]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Your SN is not fitting lol

But the tests are still the tests.
View Quote

I absolutely love AKs and I have piles of them from almost every source (I was a big builder back in the day).

...that doesn't mean they aren't easily bested by a rifle that is vastly superior in every measurable way.

I'm sure the "Garand Thumb" guy that actually made the ice vid loves the Garand too, but is under no delusion about their actual capabilities.

I'm also not saying, "I can shoot circles around you and your AK with my AR..." I'm saying "YOU can outperform YOU with an AR."

Backyard science is just for fun, and should not be taken seriously.

I also can actually imagine something approaching the goofy "sand tornado" thing happening in the real world, but the other whole thing about pouring a bottle of water into the rifle, not allowing it to drain, making it freeze inside the rifle over a period of time without touching it... I just can't picture it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Solid guns , any gen.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
The Gen 1's just flat out look better.  That and they don't import anymore of them to the US.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top