Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2023 11:41:48 PM EDT
Hey guys, new user here, so please excuse the formatting. Made an account here finally because I heard that the man Jamin himself peruses the forums, and I have a complaint.

I ordered a premium line PSA 103 side-folding barreled receiver (SKU: 51655114205) from Atlantic Firearms which is the one with the FN Herstal CHF chrome-lined barrel and costs $849 before shipping.

However, I just came back from my FFL where I didn’t touch a single piece of paperwork because, upon inspection of what I received, I’m 99.9% sure I received a PSA GF3 103 side-folding barreled receiver (SKU: 51655120011) which does NOT have a CHF chrome-lined barrel, and has a retail value of $599.

I know this because the bolt carrier and front trunnion are marked GF3, and the barrel does not have any FN Herstal markings whatsoever. Interestingly, the serial number matches the box’s label which shows the correct SKU number of what I ordered.

This (along with a big assumption of the order of operations at PSA’s retail packing dept.) leads me to believe that someone at PSA logged and packed and labeled a GF3 with a Premium SKU and packaging, since they look almost identical to the untrained eye. However, not having that premium CHF barrel and the obvious price difference cannot be overlooked.

I’ve reached out to both Atlantic’s and PSA’s customer service teams in hopes of getting this resolved. I sent PSA the serial number of what I received in hopes that they can verify its specifications with what I ordered.

Photos to illustrate my claims:

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#1]
Ok, so if you reached out to customer service (not sure why you contacted PSA instead of Atlantic,  but whatever)....

What's the point of this post?

2nd question,  do you have a picture down the barrel to look for the chrome lining?  As I understand it, chrome lined and CHF are 2 different things.... yet you use the terms interchangeably.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#2]
It's on Atlantic to make it right, you ordered from them, they shipped an item. It's up to them to find out who put the wrong item in the box, and they in turn can deal with PSA about it.

Are you even allowed to have this evil thing in Commiefornia?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You can see the chrome in the barrel. It will look shiny...

Did you look down the bore?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#4]
When you say you reached out, did you call them?
First thing you should have done while you were at your ffl was pick up the phone and call atlanticfirearms and work thus out over the phone with a love person.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I contacted both PSA and Atlantic to cover all of my bases. Atlantic has responded first and is working on getting in contact with PSA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, didn’t look very shiny to me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:21:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alectrifiied] [#7]
It was 5:30 PST on a Saturday so I had no hopes of reaching anyone on the phone at that time. Best thing was to cancel the transfer with the FFL and write some detailed and well-worded emails to CS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alectrifiied:
I contacted both PSA and Atlantic to cover all of my bases. Atlantic has responded first and is working on getting in contact with PSA.
View Quote

Seriously. Why did you not call atlantic while you were at the ffl? I do not understand people these days lack of usage of the phone  and customer support then jumping on forums to try and ask for advice or to try and get results or even to complain about things when they have not even done the most simple of things to solve the issues.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:25:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alectrifiied] [#9]
I’ve contacted both customer services and posted on their subreddit to cover all my bases. So far I’ve been contacted by Atlantic CS and a Warranty Dept guy on Reddit, so I’d say I did my due diligence.

Point of the post is to get it seen by PSA staff, as I’ve heard they’re know to peruse around here.

The only two barrels in question here are the non-FN barrel which is gas nitrided and steel treated, and the other barrel which is FN manufactured that is CHF CL’d. Writing out the whole thing every time is a waste of time and characters.

Edit: no picture taken down the barrel but it was inspected and wasn’t shiny like any other CL’d barrel I’d seen. It was close to closing and I didn’t wanna waste time trying to wrestle my phone down there so I’ll be taking a photo when I go back in on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
It was 5:30 PST on a Saturday so I had no hopes of reaching anyone on the phone at that time. Best thing was to cancel the transfer with the FFL and write some detailed and well-worded emails to CS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve contacted both customer services and posted on their subreddit to cover all my bases. So far I’ve been contacted by Atlantic CS and a Warranty Dept guy on Reddit, so I’d say I did my due diligence.

Point of the post is to get it seen by PSA staff, as I’ve heard they’re know to peruse around here.

The only two barrels in question here are the non-FN barrel which is gas nitrided and steel treated, and the other barrel which is FN manufactured that is CHF CL’d. Writing out the whole thing every time is a waste of time and characters.

Edit: no picture taken down the barrel but it was inspected and wasn’t shiny like any other CL’d barrel I’d seen. It was close to closing and I didn’t wanna waste time trying to wrestle my phone down there so I’ll be taking a photo when I go back in on Monday.
View Quote

No you are airing dirty laundry on the internet. To get in contact with psa you simply pick up the phone and call customer service. But there really is not much they can did not purchase the firearm from them and need to deal with Atlantic.  The transfer wasn't complete. If you just wanted to give them a heads up then call or email them.

Again your due diligence would have been to call Atlantic from the ffl not to post on reddit or post on here..
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Well then why post on reddit or on here? You should have waited for a reply then or followed up by a call on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#13]
PSA has an industry forum here.

You should have given Atlantic a shot at resolution before posting on the Multiple internet locations.

OP likes the drama and uses "due diligence" as an excuse.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Getting the wrong gun in the box, specifically getting a GF3 when they should’ve gotten a Premium, is apparently a common issue, and if it weren’t for people posting about their experiences online, other customers who don’t know to check for identifying markings and features would have taken their guns home not knowing they’re missing a crucial component critical to the longevity of it’s service life.

I don’t fault Atlantic or PSA, or the guy at the PSA packing warehouse for getting me the wrong barreled receiver. However, it’s important for other potential customers to know this mixup is possible, especially when the two products are almost identical to the untrained eye, yet internally very different.

It seems like the person most affected by this issue has been you lmao
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

Well then why post on reddit or on here? You should have waited for a reply then or followed up by a call on Monday.
View Quote

"You should"......

Maybe take your own medicine captain gatekeeper?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:51:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#16]

View Quote

New account, CA location, whining like a redditor all over the wrong places on social media. Is it a troll? Or a retread? The world may never know
IF it's genuine, I'm amazed people like this can make it through a day of ordinary life

This is the 4th or 5th retread-tier post like this here in the last couple months - I'm convinced it's an astroturfing campaign against PSA
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I have nothing against PSA, I want them to succeed and make good AKs. If you read the post carefully, you might notice that I even bought one lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Getting the wrong gun in the box, specifically getting a GF3 when they should’ve gotten a Premium, is apparently a common issue, and if it weren’t for people posting about their experiences online, other customers who don’t know to check for identifying markings and features would have taken their guns home not knowing they’re missing a crucial component critical to the longevity of it’s service life.

I don’t fault Atlantic or PSA, or the guy at the PSA packing warehouse for getting me the wrong barreled receiver. However, it’s important for other potential customers to know this mixup is possible, especially when the two products are almost identical to the untrained eye, yet internally very different.

View Quote

PSA has excellent customer service. They never fail to make things right in the event something goes sideways. Had you contacted Josiah or Jamin first (which you can do through this forum) your problem would have already been solved.

PSA sells over a million dollars worth of products A DAY with less than a 1% return rate. It stands to reason mistakes are occasionally going to happen but they always make it right.

At any rate, as already stated, you should have contacted Atlantic from jump street.

Agree with previous poster about op being a drama queen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:03:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alectrifiied] [#19]
If you had read the post carefully (the first paragraph) you’d see that I made an account to reach Jamin, not knowing I could have just contacted him directly instead of making a post in hopes he sees it.

I don’t want any drama, I want PSA to make good AKs. I you read the post again, you’ll notice I even bought one lol. This is my first PSA product and I want it to be the first of many.

Edit: also, if you read the post carefully , you’ll notice that both PSA and Atlantic were contacted. It’s amazing how many of your questions can be answered if you pay attention.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:

"You should"......

Maybe take your own medicine captain gatekeeper?
View Quote

Trying to instill common sense and normal buisness etiquette is not gatekeeping. People these days forget how to handle simple things and run straight to airing dirty laundry prematurely to gain attention, defame companies, or just lack common sense, or a combination of all the above. This really isn't a psa issue and should have been dealt with through atlanticfirearms especially since the transfer wasn't complete.

I take my own medicine. When I have an issue with a company, I pick up the phone and deal with that company. I usually don't mention it on the internet, especially if I have not received a reply from the company.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:12:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#21]
If you had read the post carefully (the first paragraph) you’d see that I made an account to reach Jamin, not knowing I could have just contacted him directly instead of making a post in hopes he sees it.

I don’t want any drama, I want PSA to make good AKs. I you read the post again, you’ll notice I even bought one lol. This is my first PSA product and I want it to be the first of many.

Edit: also, if you read the post carefully , you’ll notice that both PSA and Atlantic were contacted. It’s amazing how many of your questions can be answered if you pay attention.
View Quote

Everyone is dogpiling the OP without reading what hes saying. If he actually did recieve an AK with the incorrect barrel, which is what appears to have happened, then he is correct I'm believing others may have received the wrong barrel as well.

The average firearm purchaser is not all that well versed in the guns they are buying. There is a sizeable difference in cost between the two. If what OP is saying is true then him warning other to check their barrels at the FFL is a good thing, right? To prevent others from accepting a cheaper gun then they bought?

This guy is also new. Doesn't know how to find Jamin.  Said in OP he was only trying to find him. I've had to reach out to Jamin because at times I have been unable to reach them by phone or email.

It's embarrassing that this is a tech forum and you guys are failing to read anything he has posted. The name calling should earn a couple of you temp bans. Unfortunately tech is hardly moderated these days.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#22]

This really isn't a psa issue.
View Quote

If what OP says is true, than it sounds like PSA shipped the wrong rifle in the correct box to Atlantic. Which means it is a PSA error. Now he should be going to Atlantic for resolve. PSA will likely tell him that. But PSA still scuffed it.

I love PSA as a company but I'm also one of their harshest critics because I want them to keep improving. I've seen many errors on their end and what OP is describing wouldn't surprise me.

He gave them his money. He doesn't owe them anything. If they don't want bad publicity it's on them to get the order right.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#23]

View Quote

First of all saying that it's missing a crucial component critical to the longevity of its service life is grossly overwhelming exaggerated. Just because it's a fn barrel doesn't mean you are getting a greater service life out of the barrel. While you are not getting what you paid for, Both barrels will most likely outlast the shooter.

Atlantic should resolve this and get you what you paid for or refund the difference but give you the choice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#24]
With the volume PSA produces, it would make sense if there's one mis-packed item, there are going to be multiple.

@PalmettoStateArmory
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By UncleGAK:
With the volume PSA produces, it would make sense if there's one mis-packed item, there are going to be multiple.

@PalmettoStateArmory
View Quote

Yeah, in addition to contacting Atlantic CS, I reached out to PSA’s CS with the serial number of what I received so it can be identified. I’m hoping that the products are logged in a way that the GF3 is identified as bearing an incorrect SKU and replaced with the appropriate Premium model.

That is, of course, assuming I actually do have the wrong item. Alternatively, a GF3 forged trunnion and BCG may have been installed using an unmarked FN Herstal barrel resulting in a product which looks suspiciously identical to a GF3 AK103.

This is my first PSA product so I’m amused that I’ve potentially gotten a lemon on my first try lol. However, like I’ve said to other posters on this thread, I’m not upset or trying to start drama, just wanna get it resolved and bring awareness to the issue so other potential buyers know to check their products before initiating the transfer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]
So you’re complaining because they haven’t got back to you on a non business day? Am I understanding that correctly?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
So you’re complaining because they haven’t got back to you on a non business day? Am I understanding that correctly?
View Quote

You are not understanding that correctly, no. Sorry bud.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]

First of all saying that it's missing a crucial component critical to the longevity of its service life is grossly overwhelming exaggerated. Just because it's a fn barrel doesn't mean you are getting a greater service life out of the barrel. While you are not getting what you paid for, Both barrels will most likely outlast the shooter.
View Quote

^^^ This guy thinks barrel quality doesn’t affect service life.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alectrifiied] [#30]
Originally Posted By d16man:
Josiah has been tagged....let's tag Jamin @Jman_JJE and Cameron for good measure.  @cameront23
View Quote

Thanks man.

Again, I’m new to this platform and only made an account because I was made aware on Reddit that Josiah and Jamin were known to peruse these forums. According to another reply on this thread, I could have reached out to them directly. I didn’t know that, hence the creation of this thread.

Atlantic’s CS has replied to me stating they’ll reach out to their contact at PSA regarding the issue, but won’t expect a response by Monday or Tuesday, which is completely understandable. I’m honestly just surprised, impressed, and grateful that someone even reached out to me on a Sunday morning.

A PSA warranty rep also replied to my thread on Reddit regarding the same issue, and offered their help in case my correspondence with Atlantic and their PSA rep happens to be delayed. Again, very grateful for such a prompt response.

With the full expectation of not receiving a response until the next reasonable business day, and the benefit of the doubt that this was just a mixup, I wrote an email to PSA’s CS with the serial number, hoping they can verify the specifications of the product I received with what was sold to Atlantic, and thus, myself.

This post was in no way made to throw anyone under the bus or cause drama. And, with the exception of the snarky fudd-comments I received on this platform, and ONLY this platform, my experience has been exceptionally positive in every other avenue that I’ve reached out for help.

The main reasons for this post and my Reddit post, were to gain attention from any PSA rep who monitors these social media channels, and to share my experience and hopefully gain some insight from others who have experienced the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#31]

View Quote

I have more time behind firearms than you can dream.. both  down range as well gunsmithing them and testing them. I am well aware of their capabilities. Maybe you should have stuck to reddit...

Unless you are in a very slim % of the population of the firearms community that puts 10k -100k of rounds through their firearm a year every year, then the barrel will outlive you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The part about either outlasting the shooter is correct and applies to almost every gun made. I hope they get you figured out which seems likely with those two companies. The reason you are catching flak is because it's generally considered bad form to put problems out before there has been a chance for resolution. That coupled with the fact that you joined the forum just to post the issue makes it worse because that is often what trolls do.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Everyone is dogpiling the OP without reading what hes saying. If he actually did recieve an AK with the incorrect barrel, which is what appears to have happened, then he is correct I'm believing others may have received the wrong barrel as well.

The average firearm purchaser is not all that well versed in the guns they are buying. There is a sizeable difference in cost between the two. If what OP is saying is true then him warning other to check their barrels at the FFL is a good thing, right? To prevent others from accepting a cheaper gun then they bought?

This guy is also new. Doesn't know how to find Jamin.  Said in OP he was only trying to find him. I've had to reach out to Jamin because at times I have been unable to reach them by phone or email.

It's embarrassing that this is a tech forum and you guys are failing to read anything he has posted. The name calling should earn a couple of you temp bans. Unfortunately tech is hardly moderated these days.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Refreshing to find an actual constructive comment in here. It’s appreciated, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

The part about either outlasting the shooter is correct and applies to almost every gun made. I hope they get you figured out which seems likely with those two companies. The reason you are catching flak is because it's generally considered bad form to put problems out before there has been a chance for resolution. That coupled with the fact that you joined the forum just to post the issue makes it worse because that is often what trolls do.
View Quote

Thats fair. This post was made in hopes of catching attention from PSA reps (I’ve been made aware there are more direct ways of doing so), but also to share my experience and gain insight from anyone else who experienced a similar issue, which is apparently a common one.

Assuming a barrel will outlast a shooter is assuming a lot about how many rounds they’re shooting, especially if it’s their only gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Unless you are in a very slim % of the population of the firearms community that puts 10k -100k of rounds through their firearm a year every year, then the barrel will outlive you.
View Quote

Nice job adding that qualifier after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#36]

I have more time behind firearms than you can dream.. both  down range as well gunsmithing them and testing them. I am well aware of their capabilities. Maybe you should have stuck to reddit...
View Quote

You can be whoever you wanna be behind that keyboard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Thats fair. This post was made in hopes of catching attention from PSA reps (I’ve been made aware there are more direct ways of doing so), but also to share my experience and gain insight from anyone else who experienced a similar issue, which is apparently a common one.

Assuming a barrel will outlast a shooter is assuming a lot about how many rounds they’re shooting, especially if it’s their only gun.
View All Quotes

I'll take you at your word it was in good faith I was just pointing out why you are catching flak. Lot of us have seen it a million times which is why I mentioned the etiquette as well. As for the barrel life comment it's not an assumption which is why I worded it the way I did. There's a reason guns rust out before they wear out 99.999999999% of the time. People who wear barrels out usually don't talk much about them because it's just a fact of life. The rest of us think wayyyy too much about it. I've been guilty of it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#38]

You can be whoever you wanna be behind that keyboard.
View Quote

Except this is a website that actually verifies credentials to get our flair. This is not like reddit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#39]

I'll take you at your word it was in good faith I was just pointing out why you are catching flak. Lot of us have seen it a million times which is why I mentioned the etiquette as well. As for the barrel life comment it's not an assumption which is why I worded it the way I did. There's a reason guns rust out before they wear out 99.999999999% of the time. People who wear barrels out usually don't talk much about them because it's just a fact of life. The rest of us think wayyyy too much about it. I've been guilty of it.
View Quote

Fair points, all of them. Thank you for one of the very few constructive comments on this thread.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By d16man:

A reminder....this is part of the tech area and mods treat the tech area stricter than GD.  Don't get a warning on your first day here.
View Quote

Had no idea this was a “Tech Area.” I must’ve wandered here because I clicked the sidebar, hit “AK47”, followed by “PSA AKs”. Like I’ve said, new user, still getting a hang of it. Sorry if I wandered into the wrong neighborhood— I obviously pissed off some overzealous dudes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By PalmettoStateArmory:

PM Sent.

Josiah
View Quote

Replied
Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top