Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2019 8:50:54 PM EDT
Fellas,

Why would an AK perfectly eject steel cased ammo but mangle the ever-loving shit out of brass-cased ammo? I'm talking about the "brass is in
pieces" mangled here.

Way, way overgassed? It is an Egyptian Maadi with a US-made barrel.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
AKs have historically been rough on casings. They were intended to be used with steel case single use rounds... not brass.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
AKs have historically been rough on casings. They were intended to be used with steel case single use rounds... not brass.
View Quote
Yes, Sir, I know that. But until I can find some freaking place I can shoot outside, I'm stuck abiding by the indoor ranges prohibition on using steel-
cased ammo. My SAM7 SF will shoot brass-cased ammo all day long, but I also really like my AKM and haven't been able to shoot it but once or twice this year.

So, if my AKM can be fixed to shoot brass-cased ammo, I'd be happy; it is an otherwise superb rifle.

So...maybe overgassed?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Papaw:

Yes, Sir, I know that. But until I can find some freaking place I can shoot outside, I'm stuck abiding by the indoor ranges prohibition on using steel-
cased ammo. My SAM7 SF will shoot brass-cased ammo all day long, but I also really like my AKM and haven't been able to shoot it but once or twice this year.

So, if my AKM can be fixed to shoot brass-cased ammo, I'd be happy; it is an otherwise superb rifle.

So...maybe overgassed?
View Quote
By design, the AK is over gassed. You can try swapping out the recoil spring with a heavier one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Your indoor range has a prohibition on steel casings, or steel core?

My indoor range doesnt give a crap about your casings as long as the bullet is lead and copper.

Seems strange, but some places have strange rules I guess.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Your indoor range has a prohibition on steel casings, or steel core?

My indoor range doesnt give a crap about your casings as long as the bullet is lead and copper.

Seems strange, but some places have strange rules I guess.
View Quote
Steel casings, yes. They can't collect those and re-sell them, dontcha' know.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Steel casings, yes. They can't collect those and re-sell them, dontcha' know.
View Quote
Oh man .

Magnets, how do they work

Sorry to derail. I'd go with the posts above, try a stiffer spring.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you notice more felt recoil when you are firing the steel case vs the brass case?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Fellas,

Why would an AK perfectly eject steel cased ammo but mangle the ever-loving shit out of brass-cased ammo? I'm talking about the "brass is in
pieces" mangled here.

Way, way overgassed? It is an Egyptian Maadi with a US-made barrel.
View Quote
I take it the extractor claw is almost separating the case head from the case?

https://rifledynamics.com/venom-tactical-gas-block/

If you go with a heavier recoil spring you might experience short stroking.
If it's dented to hell, and you're only shooting indoors... can always take the top cover off to shoot brass.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
brass colored paint on steel cases.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Can we see pics of the brass? It’s hard to believe that it would be nearly chopping brass in half
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Car door edge protectors can be cut to fit on the sharp forward edge of your AK dust cover ejection port. It will help, but not eliminate the damage.

Valmet used to sell ejection port buffers that worked, good luck finding one and make sure to take your heart medication before asking for the price.

I owned a Valmet M76 .223 in the mid-1980's that would throw brass over the top of a ranch style house an into the front yard. Needless to say that brass was toast.

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top