User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
cannibalizing a PSA 101 (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2024 4:48:28 PM EDT
Would it be worth the money to cannibalize a PSA AK101 and send it to CW or Iron Curtain Customs as a parts kit?

It seems like overkill but I'd rather the little things like headspacing a new bolt and rivets be done right the first time. or second time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Why does it need a new bolt? Are the rivets not holding up?

Otherwise, why bother?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What issue are you trying to to fix?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By m0n1k3r:
Would it be worth the money to cannibalize a PSA AK101 and send it to CW or Iron Curtain Customs as a parts kit?

It seems like overkill but I'd rather the little things like headspacing a new bolt and rivets be done right the first time. or second time.
View Quote

The odds of your PSA AK shipping after being built improperly are very slim. The issues that arise from the 101s and 102s are not related to build techniques as far as I've seen.

The issues, to the extent they exist, are from out of spec parts, which rebuilding the rifle is not going to fix.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Why does it need a new bolt? Are the rivets not holding up?

Otherwise, why bother?
View Quote

He probably watched that video from m26_Lemon_Grenade where he stated that PSA doesn’t use the proper rivets and they don’t properly dimple the receiver into the countersinks in the trunnions. In the video he also didn’t trust PSA’s bolts stating that their firing pins and/or firing pin channels aren’t cut properly; in the video he was rebuilding a friend of his’ PSA GF3 AK by dimpling the receiver and replacing the PSA bolt with a surplus Norinco bolt.

Not saying I agree with the guy or if what he stated/found in the video is true. It is amusing how he turns off the comments in most of his videos, though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#5]
It would not be worth it until you shoot out the barrel but I'm under the impression that PSA would fix that.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
bang on the money. given the all the flak PSA gets on workmanship I'd figure throwing the whole kitchen at it might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PainefulCommonSense:

The odds of your PSA AK shipping after being built improperly are very slim. The issues that arise from the 101s and 102s are not related to build techniques as far as I've seen.

The issues, to the extent they exist, are from out of spec parts, which rebuilding the rifle is not going to fix.
View Quote

That has crossed my mind, I suppose at that point just keep it in one piece and rely on the warranty
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
bang on the money. given the all the flak PSA gets on workmanship I'd figure throwing the whole kitchen at it might be the way to go.
View Quote

^^^this was meant for Willisinnawoods
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I don't really see a good purpose in buying a budget gun, sending it somewhere to upgrade it and wait 6 months to get it back.  You may as well just buy something nicer out of the gate.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:

I don't really see a good purpose in buying a budget gun, sending it somewhere to upgrade it and wait 6 months to get it back.  You may as well just buy something nicer out of the gate.
View Quote

I'm looking for specifically an ak101. i supose i can look for a around for a sporter siga floating around but i have my doubts
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:44:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#11]
Maybe KUSA’s KR-101 will be a pretty good AK-101 clone; it would already be a more ‘clone correct’ AK-101 out of the box than the PSA 101 if that’s what you’re shooting for.

It just feels like PSA’s AKs are hit and miss on QC. I’ve got two of their 7.62 AKs that are still running string but my 101 is being a nightmare. I will give some credit to PSA that their warranty is what they say it is; I had someone from there call my personal number (from the order details on my PSA account) and ask for more details about the debacle I’m going through with my 101, and they’ll continue honoring their warranty even after I’ve filed the tail of the bolt down on mine to meet dimensional specification for correct OAL (mine may have been cut .012” oversize affecting the firing pin’s function).
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:
Maybe KUSA’s KR-101 will be a pretty good AK-101 clone; it would already be a more ‘clone correct’ AK-101 out of the box than the PSA 101 if that’s what you’re shooting for.

It just feels like PSA’s AKs are hit and miss on QC. I’ve got two of their 7.62 AKs that are still running string but my 101 is being a nightmare. I will give some credit to PSA that their warranty is what they say it is; I had someone from there call my personal number (from the order details on my PSA account) and ask for more details about the debacle I’m going through with my 101, and they’ll continue honoring their warranty even after I’ve filed the tail of the bolt down on mine to meet dimensional specification for correct OAL (mine may have been cut .012” oversize affecting the firing pin’s function).
View Quote

I heard a while back there was a kerfuffle with KUSAs warranty. never caught wind of it myself but lots of hurt feelings, but I do hear PSAs customer service has been out of this world.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]

That has crossed my mind, I suppose at that point just keep it in one piece and rely on the warranty
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I got a PSA 102, I know it might have to go back, I have confidence that if it does, PSA will make it right, though it may take multiple tries.

I decided the worst case is an acceptable price to get the rifle I want. Only one range session (about 200rds) so I can't really comment on quality yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#14]

I got a PSA 102, I know it might have to go back, I have confidence that if it does, PSA will make it right, though it may take multiple tries.

I decided the worst case is an acceptable price to get the rifle I want. Only one range session (about 200rds) so I can't really comment on quality yet.
View Quote

godwilling first time from PSA will be the last time. not very comfortable to have a gun in the safe that might not go bang every time, but that warranty should be better than none.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want someone to build a gun with their parts you can by most parts a la carte and ship them off to someone.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe KUSA's KR-101 will be a pretty good AK-101 clone; it would already be a more 'clone correct' AK-101 out of the box than the PSA 101 if that's what you're shooting for.

It just feels like PSA's AKs are hit and miss on QC. I've got two of their 7.62 AKs that are still running string but my 101 is being a nightmare. I will give some credit to PSA that their warranty is what they say it is; I had someone from there call my personal number (from the order details on my PSA account) and ask for more details about the debacle I'm going through with my 101, and they'll continue honoring their warranty even after I've filed the tail of the bolt down on mine to meet dimensional specification for correct OAL (mine may have been cut .012" oversize affecting the firing pin's function).
View Quote

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/warranty/

KALASHNIKOV USA  FIREARM LIMITED WARRANTY
Kalashnikov USA  firearms are manufactured to the highest quality standards. Each firearm is tested and the quality is assured before the firearm leaves the factory.

This limited warranty has been drafted in compliance with Magnuson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, which is effective for goods manufactured on or after December 31, 1975.

All firearms manufactured by Kalashnikov USA  have a limited 2-year warranty to the original purchaser. The original retail purchase date is verified by your sales receipt and ATF Form 4473. If needed, you can extend your firearm's warranty an additional 3 years via our Warranty Request.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]

He probably watched that video from m26_Lemon_Grenade where he stated that PSA doesn’t use the proper rivets and they don’t properly dimple the receiver into the countersinks in the trunnions. In the video he also didn’t trust PSA’s bolts stating that their firing pins and/or firing pin channels aren’t cut properly; in the video he was rebuilding a friend of his’ PSA GF3 AK by dimpling the receiver and replacing the PSA bolt with a surplus Norinco bolt.

Not saying I agree with the guy or if what he stated/found in the video is true. It is amusing how he turns off the comments in most of his videos, though.
View Quote

Huh. They should probably check more of the "big name" builders from the past. I've seen plenty of builds that missed things like that. Hell, I've seen factory guns from other countries that missed that. I have yet to see one of them have rivet issues.

Wait until the OP finds screw and weld builds!

Hell, it's not that hard to replace rivets, especially if everything is already drilled. Little lathe work for the forming tool. Check headspace with another bolt. All at home things with some simple tools.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxxII] [#19]
My PSA AK 101 has been exemplary.
I only have 900 rds through it, so it's just getting broken in.

900 rds of mixed steel and brass. Multiple manufacturers on steel and brass.
To date - one round failed to fire and it just happened on 3-30-24. Round was rechambered, struck again, and still failed to fire.  I'm going to blame that one on the round itself.
With Federal TRU 55 gr, I shot a five-shot group that measured 1.31 inches edge to edge from the bench at 100 yds.

If you told me an AK could shoot a 1.31 inch group, I would have been surprised, but would have assumed it was a very expensive AK.
If you'd told me an American AK would do that, I would have laughed, but might have considered a Sharps Bros AK as being the source.
If you'd told me a $799 PSA AK (10 mag package) would shoot a 1.31 inch 5 round group at 100 yds from the bench, I'd have said you were high.

I've owned several AK's by several different manufacturers:

Mak 90 Slant back
Zastava M70AB1
Arsenal SLR101s (Milled)
Arsenal SLR107FR
Zastava M92
PSA AK 101

I still have the SLR101s, the M92, and the AK 101....the AK 101 has become my favorite rifle lately.
I've been using the Arsenal SLR 101s at Kalashni-Con for the past 7 years without issue...then ammo got expensive.
I took the PSA AK 101 to the winter K-Con this year without issue. Weather was minus 10F (w/o windchill), and the gun didnt miss a beat. Took it all the way out to 500 w/o problems. I will be bringing it to the Summer K-Con and expect nothing less than excellence from the gun.

It's early in it's life, but I will cheerfully and happily explain and document what issues may come up with it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
My PSA AK 101 has been exemplary.
I only have 900 rds through it, so it's just getting broken in.

900 rds of mixed steel and brass. Multiple manufacturers on steel and brass.
To date - one round failed to fire and it just happened on 3-30-24. Round was rechambered, struck again, and still failed to fire.  I'm going to blame that one on the round itself.
With Federal TRU 55 gr, I shot a five-shot group that measured 1.31 inches edge to edge from the bench at 100 yds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Pic_2-2893838.jpg

If you told me an AK could shoot a 1.31 inch group, I would have been surprised, but would have assumed it was a very expensive AK.
If you'd told me an American AK would do that, I would have laughed, but might have considered a Sharps Bros AK as being the source.
If you'd told me a $799 PSA AK (10 mag package) would shoot a 1.31 inch 5 round group at 100 yds from the bench, I'd have said you were high.

I've owned several AK's by several different manufacturers:

Mak 90 Slant back
Zastava M70AB1
Arsenal SLR101s (Milled)
Arsenal SLR107FR
Zastava M92
PSA AK 101

I still have the SLR101s, the M92, and the AK 101....the AK 101 has become my favorite rifle lately.
I've been using the Arsenal SLR 101s at Kalashni-Con for the past 7 years without issue...then ammo got expensive.
I took the PSA AK 101 to the winter K-Con this year without issue. Weather was minus 10F (w/o windchill), and the gun didnt miss a beat. Took it all the way out to 500 w/o problems. I will be bringing it to the Summer K-Con and expect nothing less than excellence from the gun.

It's early in it's life, but I will cheerfully and happily explain and document what issues may come up with it.
View Quote

I'll sleep on it, but im slowly warming up to getting a PSA 101 and leaving it unmolested.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#21]

I'll sleep on it, but im slowly warming up to getting a PSA 101 and leaving it unmolested.
View Quote
When I was a kid, my momma used to say "Don't borrow trouble". IOW, don't worry about things that may never happen.

Buy your rifle and enjoy it. It you have any problems at any point in your ownership, you have a lifetime warranty. PSA will fix it.

Chances are, you won't have any problems.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Lemon Grenade is a weird guy, but talk about an effeminate, passive aggressive comment. Are your feelings hurt by him turning off his comments? Why do you care? That’s weird bro.

Furthermore, it sounds conspiratorial when you say he might be lying for some reason. It was obvious in the video that the receiver was a PSA and that it wasn’t dimpled. Everybody wants cheap American AKs to succeed, and he’s not a paid guntuber so he really doesn’t have a dog in this fight. Yet the average american will watch GT or a 5k burn down from Rob and conclude incorrectly that the gun will last forever and is “just as good” as an Arsenal or FB product.

People love white knighting for PSA (maybe you are, maybe you aren’t, don’t care), even if just giving them the benefit of doubt. That’s the conspiracy. If you don’t mind your gun falling apart after a few thousand rounds go ahead and buy one, but nobody should condone contributing to the internet dishonesty that surrounds PSA’s cheap products. They simply aren’t military quality guns. Doesn’t matter to me if people buy range toys so long as they make an informed decision.

Good AKs aren’t the blue collar gun option anymore and some people need to just get over that. The old days are long gone. Some people will not be able to justify the money or flat out can’t afford the ones that are made correctly.

Normies are always slapping stripes on this donkey and calling it a zebra. It ain’t a zebra…
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#23]

I heard a while back there was a kerfuffle with KUSAs warranty. never caught wind of it myself but lots of hurt feelings, but I do hear PSAs customer service has been out of this world.
View Quote

No offense, but so what? For example, I’d rather buy an HK and have terrible customer service, than buy a Taurus and have amazing customer service. Just something for you to consider in my opinion.

Easy to have a great track record in customer service when you set yourself up to be the hero…

And to all of you people saying “mine works” or “other companies mess up rivet dimpling” that literally proves nothing and you’re just muddying the waters here. Unless you have 10k-20k through your PSA and everything’s textbook, you shouldn’t be commenting on their longevity. Most people will never shoot that much through a single gun, but most people like to know their gun will make it long enough to see a second owner such as your heirs. This is pretty simple to understand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#24]

I'm looking for specifically an ak101. i supose i can look for a around for a sporter siga floating around but i have my doubts
View Quote

You are going to need to find a Saiga and get the conversion parts then.  The PSA isn't close if you are looking for a clone.  The KUSA version will probably be the closest you can get in that regard.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By kirjath-sepher:

Lemon Grenade is a weird guy, but talk about an effeminate, passive aggressive comment. Are your feelings hurt by him turning off his comments? Why do you care? That’s weird bro.

Furthermore, it sounds conspiratorial when you say he might be lying for some reason. It was obvious in the video that the receiver was a PSA and that it wasn’t dimpled. Everybody wants cheap American AKs to succeed, and he’s not a paid guntuber so he really doesn’t have a dog in this fight. Yet the average american will watch GT or a 5k burn down from Rob and conclude incorrectly that the gun will last forever and is “just as good” as an Arsenal or FB product.

People love white knighting for PSA (maybe you are, maybe you aren’t, don’t care), even if just giving them the benefit of doubt. That’s the conspiracy. If you don’t mind your gun falling apart after a few thousand rounds go ahead and buy one, but nobody should condone contributing to the internet dishonesty that surrounds PSA’s cheap products. They simply aren’t military quality guns. Doesn’t matter to me if people buy range toys so long as they make an informed decision.

Good AKs aren’t the blue collar gun option anymore and some people need to just get over that. The old days are long gone. Some people will not be able to justify the money or flat out can’t afford the ones that are made correctly.

Normies are always slapping stripes on this donkey and calling it a zebra. It ain’t a zebra…
View Quote

No offense, but so what? For example, I’d rather buy an HK and have terrible customer service, than buy a Taurus and have amazing customer service. Just something for you to consider in my opinion.

Easy to have a great track record in customer service when you set yourself up to be the hero…

And to all of you people saying “mine works” or “other companies mess up rivet dimpling” that literally proves nothing and you’re just muddying the waters here. Unless you have 10k-20k through your PSA and everything’s textbook, you shouldn’t be commenting on their longevity. Most people will never shoot that much through a single gun, but most people like to know their gun will make it long enough to see a second owner such as your heirs. This is pretty simple to understand.
View Quote

Man, that's a lot of words to say "I'm a KUSA fan boy and don't like PSA".
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

when he is posting from a Troll account, it is important to make every post count.  Just don't get mixed up what account you are logged in under...

does KUSA have an industry account?  and demanding someone NOT post their input and experience unless they "Claim" 20K plus round count...

I did 2 tours in COMBAT and I doubt I fired 20K rounds from my 240, I guess I have zero experience.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Lol. The entire discussion is about "incorrect" rivets and not longevity. If it was about how long it lasted the opening post would have been something like "how are high round count PSA rifles holding up" and not " who should I send a bucket of money to to swap out a bolt and a couple rivets before I Even shoot my rifle".
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

if you really want to get into the weeds of it the KUSA101 has a 1:8 barrel whereas the PSA101 has a 1:7. for some that might be a trivial point, but considering my average daily temperature is significantly colder that tighter twist will not be so trival.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Lol. The entire discussion is about "incorrect" rivets and not longevity. If it was about how long it lasted the opening post would have been something like "how are high round count PSA rifles holding up" and not " who should I send a bucket of money to to swap out a bolt and a couple rivets before I Even shoot my rifle".
View Quote

if an object is only worth the sum of its parts wouldn't the small details like construction effect the life of the gun? incorrect rivets/receiver construction may in fact impact the long-term health of the gun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#30]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

when he is posting from a Troll account, it is important to make every post count.  Just don't get mixed up what account you are logged in under...

does KUSA have an industry account?  and demanding someone NOT post their input and experience unless they "Claim" 20K plus round count...

I did 2 tours in COMBAT and I doubt I fired 20K rounds from my 240, I guess I have zero experience.
View All Quotes

Lot of assumptions coming from people who think combat tours and product loyalty have anything to do with this. I would never own a KUSA product personally.  What’s with the obsession with fanboyism on this site, or conspiracies about someone being disingenuous? You sound like a nutcase. I don’t care at all who makes what. I’m not trolling, I’m just tired of seeing this bad information posted over and over again by people like you two, enough to finally jump in and call you people out for stroking PSA and other similar companies too much. Lol.

For the record I’m not sure that KUSA would be any better, marginally perhaps, which is why I kept my mouth SHUT.

If you take your brain out of two tours, two world wars mode for a second, you’ll realize that civilians don’t have an armorer and guns can be banned. I would personally want to pay 10-20% more for something that’s not a Rube-Goldberg machine. Quit being silly.

If you wanna know, I’m in healthcare and I’m pretty well educated, not in the gundustry at all, and I like FB and Arsenal products in this sphere. I’ll give you a hint, they’d immediately throw captain rank at me if I joined any service branch. So you can call me a snob, that might be a better angle of attack. And if you were smarter you would’ve immediately jumped to that. Care to try to insult me again pointlessly?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Incorrect rivets lead to longevity issues. Are you trying to be serious and failing, or are you trolling me? He wants to correct the issues with the rifle. Besides, when it comes to that point, im not responding directly to the OP, I’m talking to you people spouting bad info because the general reader deserves better. I’ve been on here for years, since 2011, and people like you probably shouldn’t post so much. Lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve been on here for years, since 2011, and people like you probably shouldn’t post so much. Lol
View Quote

I'm confused, it says you joined in 2020, not 2011?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#33]

if you really want to get into the weeds of it the KUSA101 has a 1:8 barrel whereas the PSA101 has a 1:7. for some that might be a trivial point, but considering my average daily temperature is significantly colder that tighter twist will not be so trival.
View Quote

That’s interesting bro, I wouldn’t know anything about that, but you do you. Is it for stabilizing a particular bullet weight or does that contribute to reliability for your situation? And good luck with your project.

Personally, I wish the Beryls were 1:7 but I honestly don’t care about heavy pills and I’ve got enough 1:7 stuff already, and I would take a 308 for distance anyway.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#34]

That’s interesting bro, I wouldn’t know anything about that, but you do you. Is it for stabilizing a particular bullet weight or does that contribute to reliability for your situation? And good luck with your project.

Personally, I wish the Beryls were 1:7 but I honestly don’t care about heavy pills and I’ve got enough 1:7 stuff already, and I would take a 308 for distance anyway.
View Quote

colder ambient temperature can effect fps. slower fps=slower bullet=different point of impact. having a tighter spin put onto the bullet should compensate for this. so yes it does effect the reliability of putting consistent rounds down range.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#35]
Yea bud I’ve been lurking since 2011, never wanted to post, maybe I was right not to. I just made an account to sell stuff four years ago. I’m extremely bored right now, hence why everybody assumes I’m using some burner account. Lol. Next people will claim I’m actually a reptilian working for Hillary. No changing the hive mind at this point.

Ar15.com isn’t as cool or useful as it thinks it is, I’ll say that much. As long as industry partners can keep the midwits on here debating minutiae, the industry can continue to make money selling guns. Anybody on here would be wise to be skeptical of everything they read here. It should be understood that just because somebody in the industry said something, or because posters have echo chambered something a million times, doesn’t make it true.

Thanks for the resounding welcome guys!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#36]

colder ambient temperature can effect fps. slower fps=slower bullet=different point of impact. having a tighter spin put onto the bullet should compensate for this. so yes it does effect the reliability of putting consistent rounds down range.
View Quote

Gotcha. Yeah that makes sense. That makes me think of all the people downsizing their gas ports chasing Gucci AR recoil on a 7.62x39 platform intended as a conscript service weapon. I agree with lemon grenade that if you want to make your AK into an AR you should just buy an AR. Pretty hilarious to me. Anyways, sounds like you’ve got your situation pretty well figured out.

Have you considered trying to find a Saiga 100 series sporter? I’m just spitballing so ignore this if it’s not helpful.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Lot of assumptions coming from people who think combat tours and product loyalty have anything to do with this. I would never own a KUSA product personally.  What’s with the obsession with fanboyism on this site, or conspiracies about someone being disingenuous? You sound like a nutcase. I don’t care at all who makes what. I’m not trolling, I’m just tired of seeing this bad information posted over and over again by people like you two, enough to finally jump in and call you people out for stroking PSA and other similar companies too much. Lol.

For the record I’m not sure that KUSA would be any better, marginally perhaps, which is why I kept my mouth SHUT.

If you take your brain out of two tours, two world wars mode for a second, you’ll realize that civilians don’t have an armorer and guns can be banned. I would personally want to pay 10-20% more for something that’s not a Rube-Goldberg machine. Quit being silly.

If you wanna know, I’m in healthcare and I’m pretty well educated, not in the gundustry at all, and I like FB and Arsenal products in this sphere. I’ll give you a hint, they’d immediately throw captain rank at me if I joined any service branch. So you can call me a snob, that might be a better angle of attack. And if you were smarter you would’ve immediately jumped to that. Care to try to insult me again pointlessly?
View All Quotes

This is a tech forum, not GD.
Might wanna slow your roll unless you’re so smart you think you can avoid a ban by outwitting the CoC.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Have you considered trying to find a Saiga 100 series sporter? I’m just spitballing so ignore this if it’s not helpful.
View Quote

do you have a Saiga 100 for less than the price of sending an cannibalized PSA AK101 to a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Wowsers, heckuva thread, lol.

OP lots of nice kits out there for sale if you want a rifle built for you, Atlantic has a bunch of nice ones. Don't see much point in tearing down a new rifle for parts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#40]

do you have a Saiga 100 for less than the price of sending an cannibalized PSA AK101 to a gunsmith?
View Quote

Depends on your budget, not mine, but point taken. There’s a saiga sporter on gunbroker for just under 1500 right now. Sounds like your options might just be the American facsimiles or nothing at all, if you want a 100 series clone. Why don’t you just call Iron Curtain and see what they would recommend?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Incorrect rivets lead to longevity issues. Are you trying to be serious and failing, or are you trolling me? He wants to correct the issues with the rifle. Besides, when it comes to that point, im not responding directly to the OP, I’m talking to you people spouting bad info because the general reader deserves better. I’ve been on here for years, since 2011, and people like you probably shouldn’t post so much. Lol
View Quote

Ever seen a screw build? How about a welded build?

I've probably shot more shoddily built AKs than you have managed to assume exist.  Probably seem more crappy built import guns too that were "incorrect" from the factory. Hell, I've probably built and/or fixed more AKs than you've handled. AKs are quite literally designed to be built by a drunk Russian for drunk Russians to be run longer than either drunk Russian will last in conditions none of us will ever experience.

I don't think you understand how an AK works and how the forces on an AK are applied along the receiver.

Buy an AK and shoot the dammed thing. Like any firearm you keep an eye on it for changes. You won't find one because your receiver wasn't dimpled "properly" unless you are BFLV.

Being stupid should hurt more than it apparently does. Being a member of a website brings no credibility and attempting to bring to light reduces that credibility as well as shows us you don't have your big boy panties on and need to go back to GD where you belong.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#42]
AKs are quite literally designed to be built by a drunk Russian
View Quote

I saw a video years ago, it was a tour through one of the Russian factories, can't remember if it was Izzy or Molot, but pretty much most of the employees doing the assembling were actually older women, kinda weird watching those ladies assemble AK's, lol....didn't look to be drunk but who knows?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#43]

Ever seen a screw build? How about a welded build?

I've probably shot more shoddily built AKs than you have managed to assume exist.  Probably seem more crappy built import guns too that were "incorrect" from the factory. Hell, I've probably built and/or fixed more AKs than you've handled. AKs are quite literally designed to be built by a drunk Russian for drunk Russians to be run longer than either drunk Russian will last in conditions none of us will ever experience.

I don't think you understand how an AK works and how the forces on an AK are applied along the receiver.

Buy an AK and shoot the dammed thing. Like any firearm you keep an eye on it for changes. You won't find one because your receiver wasn't dimpled "properly" unless you are BFLV.

Being stupid should hurt more than it apparently does. Being a member of a website brings no credibility and attempting to bring to light reduces that credibility as well as shows us you don't have your big boy panties on and need to go back to GD where you belong.
View Quote

Im not going to address half of this because you’re just being emotional. I’m sorry, but how does any of what you just posted help anybody reading this? That’s quite the ignorant stereotype about Russians and their technology. Just because the AK can be built poorly and work doesn’t mean it should be built that way if you have the option not to. Who would want to own something like that? Who cares if you build them? What’s your point? I’ve already said if you don’t care if it falls apart, buy whatever. Never claimed to be an expert builder, unlike you. Not everybody on here can fix their own guns, most people want something that works out of the box.

I’m not appealing to the lowest common denominator or somebody who’s upset that I trashed their favorite brand, somebody else will read what has been written here and determine for themselves who is credible and who is not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

I'm confused, it says you joined in 2020, not 2011?
View Quote

he forgot what account he was posting from.  LOL
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Wowsers, heckuva thread, lol.

OP lots of nice kits out there for sale if you want a rifle built for you, Atlantic has a bunch of nice ones. Don't see much point in tearing down a new rifle for parts.
View Quote

I've given it some thought, but I have a soft spot for the 100 line. the 90 degree gas block and oversized muzzle device combo looks real fine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#46]

I've given it some thought, but I have a soft spot for the 100 line. the 90 degree gas block and oversized muzzle device combo looks real fine.
View Quote

Cool. Are you still thinking you’re gonna chop it up and send it off?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirjath-sepher] [#47]
[duplicate post]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

If you want a PSA 101 then get a PSA 101. Mine has been great. Roll the dice and see if you get a great one. Off chance you don’t, send it back. It is the only way you can economically get a 100 series in 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

You should buy it then and shoot it. As has been stated, any AK can potentially have issues, anyone who's ever owned a Romy can testify to that, lol.

Last one I bought had a front sight cant I needed to fix, tool chatter on the bolt carrier, and one wonky rivet that wasn't squished properly, all easily fixed with a very minimum of handtools and a little labor. It's fun to me actually, I like working on guns, it's like fixing up an old hotrod, a labor of love that makes something truly unique and yours, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#50]

You should buy it then and shoot it. As has been stated, any AK can potentially have issues, anyone who's ever owned a Romy can testify to that, lol.

Last one I bought had a front sight cant I needed to fix, tool chatter on the bolt carrier, and one wonky rivet that wasn't squished properly, all easily fixed with a very minimum of handtools and a little labor. It's fun to me actually, I like working on guns, it's like fixing up an old hotrod, a labor of love that makes something truly unique and yours, if that makes sense.
View Quote

I know what you mean, I'll build my own kit whenever I bother to get the tooling. The perfectionist in me wants it done textbook, but nothing is perfect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
cannibalizing a PSA 101 (Page 1 of 2)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top