Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 6:55:19 PM EDT
What suppressor or suppressors are preferred?

What mounts will I need?  

Think I'll start with my PSA Krink.

Is there a suppressor that would work with both 7.62x39 AKs as well as 5.56 AKs?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Dead Air Wolverine and the Resilient Putnik are both purpose made for AK's

The Wolverine is probably the better choice for the krink, the stelite baffles should stand up to the short barrel abuse a little better than 17-4.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norsk] [#2]
TXZen is kinda the expert on that around here. I know he runs some Sandman cans on his rifles, but he has a little bit of everything.

One solution is the Dead Air Wolverine - you can get different thread adapters for it so it will mount on a 24x1.5 or a 14x1 LH (akm) threads, and others.

The pros are:
- It's made to look like the real deal Soviet PBS1 and may be the only can for a historically oriented collector
- Designed to attach to most any AK and has baffle holes that get bigger towards the muzzle to prevent baffle strikes in case your muzzle threads aren't concentric. (Euro threads haven't always been concentric - shouldn't be an issue on your PSAs..)
-  theoretically has lower back pressure due to the larger holes in the baffles, but not as low as a flow through can like what OSS makes
- No rocksetting any QD mounts on a commie rifle, so when you take off your Wolverine you could throw your booster back on your krink - easy peasy.

Cons are:
- Heavy
- Not that quiet
- Slow to take on and off your rifles, you won't be switching it between rifles in seconds, especially if the threads are different as you'll have to change out your thread insert.

Is it the best solution? That's up to you. There are better cans out there, that's not debatable, but this is definitely an option and the can I would choose, but I'm disposed to the more traditional AKs.

Hope this helps - you may have been asking for solutions other than the Wolverine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
good stuff thanks.

Looks like I have much to learn

Would it help simplify things if I chose to only suppress AKs made by PSA?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norsk] [#4]
I think it would take some worry out of the equation, but you can get alignment rods in whatever calibers you want to suppress as well. It's cheap insurance and easy to do.

First ones I found
https://accuracy-solutions.com/products/bore-alignment-rod-to-check-223-5-56-cal
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:02:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gamboolman] [#5]
I ordered these for a couple of our Saiga 308's
Order was about 3 years ago.
Do recommend Capital Armory - have done quite a bit of business with them over the years and always good to work with.
Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1 X 2
Dead Air Wolverine Thread Insert  X 2

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm happy with my Wolverine, it's a bit heavy though

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Norsk:
TXZen is kinda the expert on that around here.

View Quote

For sure. Nictra too.

Were you wanting to suppress cicada-killer rounds or 7.62 soul-takers? Makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#8]
Originally Posted By mak0:
Dead Air Wolverine and the Resilient Putnik are both purpose made for AK's

The Wolverine is probably the better choice for the krink, the stelite baffles should stand up to the short barrel abuse a little better than 17-4.
View Quote
The DA Wolverine and the Putnik are made for AKs with concentricity issues.  PSA AKs (or most AKs with US made barrels) do not generally have a problem with concentricity.  Even a lot of the newest imports have resolved those issues.

There is no reason why you need a specialty and very heavy suppressor for an AK (both of the above cans are very heavy).  Anything that works on another rifle should work OK.

Both my Saigas have slight concentricity issues. These are my only problem children. I really like my Energetic Arms ARX on my 5.56 Saiga. It has a slight overbore (6mm I think) and it's also a very light can which is great out on the end of that long 16" barrel. A 30 cal can is another option for 5.56. On my 7.62x39 Saiga I have to use my 9mm Wolfman for the same reasons. When I check alignment it will touch on a 30 cal can, but 9mm clears.

All my other AKs (Beryls, Galils, PSA AKs, even my SAR1 surprisingly) are fine with standard bore cans. I use Griffin Explorrs, EA ARX, YHM Turbo K, and they all work fine on AKs.  However, I prefer my OSS/Huxwrx flow-through cans because AKs are usually overgassed.  If I were to start all over again, I'd buy a couple HuxWrx Flow 7.62k cans to use with my AKs and call it good. You could use these on both 556 and 762 AKs.  Huxwrx has proper muzzle indexing mounts for both 14x1LH and 24x1RH.  

Of course you can always use KNS Pistons to reduce the overgassing. I've done that on a few of my AKs and need to do a few more.

My Beryls with an EA ARX using Griffin Plan A mount on the long barreled 556 and a Griffin Explorr on the 762 using a JMac X37 mount.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:06:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#9]
I think it would take some worry out of the equation, but you can get alignment rods in whatever calibers you want to suppress as well. It's cheap insurance and easy to do.

First ones I found
https://accuracy-solutions.com/products/bore-alignment-rod-to-check-223-5-56-cal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

First ones I found
Agree. Alignment rods are kind of necessary with AKs.  I use Surefire rods.   If you buy cheap drill rods, verify they are straight. Sometimes they are not.

Originally Posted By gamboolman:
Do recommend Capital Armory - have done quite a bit of business with them over the years and always good to work with.

Same here. Highly recomend. They also ship the can directly to your house!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#10]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
What mounts will I need?
View Quote
Face mounts work the best. They index against the muzzle. On nearly all AKs, there is no barrel shoulder to index a mount. (Another reason concentricity can be a problem)

Huxwrx uses face mounts. They are very AK friendly.

JMac also has their X series mounts. They can be adapted to a lot of different suppressors (X37 fits any Hub threaded suppressor for example). I like the JMac X series a lot.

https://www.jmac-customs.com/muzzle-devices/suppressor-mounts/x-series-hub/

Griffin makes a facemount adapter for 14x1 or 24x1 to 5/8x24 or 1/2x28. It will work, but it adds expense weight and length. Plus it looks ugly.

With AKs,  you have to research mounting options very carefully before you choose a suppressor. These aren't like AR15s were you can just fit anything.  If you buy a Hub threaded (1.375-24) suppressor it will make your life a lot easier.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you overwhelmed yet, DoorKicker?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you overwhelmed yet, DoorKicker?
View Quote

YES
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#13]
It is a whole new area of firearms. Like someone who is just getting into AKs and doesn't know anything about them. There's a lot to learn and digest. Some stuff that was true 5 years ago, may not be true today.

We have a really good suppressor forum on the site. Great people there. Very knowledgeable. A lot of the manufacturers pop in, and everyone is willing to answer questions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Silencers/20/

Also a good General NFA section for asking questions about the Form 4 process, dealer issues, etc.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/General-NFA-Questions/17/

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Agree. Alignment rods are kind of necessary with AKs.
View Quote

Agreed. I don't run suppressors, but I did buy an FH with a very tight bore one time and tried it on my WASR, got to the range and all of a sudden a rifle that puts up very respectable groups starts stringing vertically about 7-8 inches up-n-down. Stopped and pulled the FH since it was the only thing that had changed, and sure enough was getting sideswipes on the FH, yikes, that could have been a whole lot worse. I would definitely check alignment if I were to run a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#15]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Agreed. I don't run suppressors, but I did buy an FH with a very tight bore one time and tried it on my WASR, got to the range and all of a sudden a rifle that puts up very respectable groups starts stringing vertically about 7-8 inches up-n-down. Stopped and pulled the FH since it was the only thing that had changed, and sure enough was getting sideswipes on the FH, yikes, that could have been a whole lot worse. I would definitely check alignment if I were to run a suppressor.
View Quote

Wow.  Yeah that's a serious concentricity issue.

Since I have them, I use my alignment rod to check, every time I mount a suppressor on an AK. It's cheap insurance considering the potential alternative.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Resilient Putnik AK Suppressor: First Look and Unboxing

I’m really enjoying the Putnik so far on my PSA AK-P. It’s got some “braking” features built in which really knocks down the recoil. It’s HUB threaded and comes with a 24x1.5 direct thread mount. And it’s got the Zentico look going for it too
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Griffin direct thread adapters and then direct thread my SilencerCo Saker and Hybrid to the adapter. I have tools to check alignment and they are good enough. The Griffin adapter stops on the muzzle to better ensure concentricity. Works great with my AKS-74U and AK-74s.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#18]
It is a whole new area of firearms. Like someone who is just getting into AKs and doesn't know anything about them. There's a lot to learn and digest. Some stuff that was true 5 years ago, may not be true today.

We have a really good suppressor forum on the site. Great people there. Very knowledgeable. A lot of the manufacturers pop in, and everyone is willing to answer questions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Silencers/20/

Also a good General NFA section for asking questions about the Form 4 process, dealer issues, etc.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/General-NFA-Questions/17/

View Quote

I agree with everything you have said.

The beauty and the downfall of the Wolverine is that its got such a large bore that it will work on AKs with concentricity issues. Although I did have 1 rifle it still wouldn't pass the rod check on, some dirty 7.62x39 rifle.
Because the bore is so big, that doesn't allow it to suppress very well. Although when behind and firing the gun, it seems pretty decent, but compared to others out there it's far from great, but it's better than nothing. I have 2 Wolverines BTW (1 still in jail).

I've had decent luck with my YHM suppressors too. They even make a 14x1 LH adapter. Otherwise, I have a keymo collar for them also and can run a faced mount quick release for it. Typically though, I've been using my Wolverine for the 24x1 rifles, and the YHM mount and R2 for the 14x1 AKs.

I will say this, I've bought 1 5.56 suppressor, and the rest are all .30 cal suppressors. I'd recommend buying a .30 cal over a 22 cal suppressor, as it will allow you to use on multiple weapons (if you're going to have 1 to rule them all), even though that is a debate for later on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Wow.  Yeah that's a serious concentricity issue.

Since I have them, I use my alignment rod to check, every time I mount a suppressor on an AK. It's cheap insurance considering the potential alternative.

View Quote

Yep, but it's not the concentricity of the bore that's the issue on that one, it's the threads, the Romy's must have been drinking that day, lol, bore is perfectly drilled but threads got a gangsta lean to 'em. It's not terrible, it's just that particular FH is super tight, very skinny FH that looked really good on the rifle, but in the end didn't work out so I went back to a good ol slot brake.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I suppress a PAP M92. I am using the Jmac X37 and a deadair Nomad 30.  I've had no issues. It was very gassy. I installed a KNS adjustable gas piston and it's been absolutely amazing. Extremely present to shoot and surprisingly quiet.

Highly recommend the piston if you plan on shooting mainly suppressed. .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:05:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a jmac mount on my m92 just got the dead air hub adapter to run my wolverine also have a kns piston installed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#22]
I like my Yhm resonator and qd on my ak. It’s nice to not to have to switch up mounts and stuff for other guns.

If you don’t mind the cost and can tinker or pay a gunsmith the definitive arms adjustable gas block in nice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of good responses in this thread so far

Check out the suppressed AK thread. There's a ton of good info with photos in there too

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#24]
One other con of the Wolverine is that the 24mm locking collar (not the insert) is very hard to find. They occasionally pop up in stock on the Dead Air and other sites (Capital Armory, Silencer Shop, etc.), so best to sign up for notifications. The Wolverine only ships with the 14mm collar. However, you can still use a Wolverine can with the 24mm insert and no collar on your rifles… it just won’t be locked in with the FSB pin, so you need to check it now and then to make sure it’s not coming loose. Use an oven mitt… lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I run a Rex mg7k in 308 on my M92 sbr with a kns piston. Fairly lightweight.  If you think you might have concentricity issues you could get the .338 or.358 mg7k for a slightly larger bore. I use a jmac adapter. Works great.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top