Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 5:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hhsmiley]
I watched a video the other day and the guy in the video was saying that the gas tube should come back to the point where it ends right in the middle of the cam pin cutout in the upper.

I bought a Faxon barrel and their rifle length gas tube thinking that would ensure that everything will line up right. The gas tube only comes back to a point about 1/3 of the way back in the cam pin cutout. It seems there is no "standard" for how long the gas tube should be for AR-10 rifles according to this dude. Mine is about 15.1875" long.

Is this actually an issue? If so, who makes a gas tube that's just a little longer?

Thanks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hhsmiley] [#1]
Well I answered one of my own questions. I found this:

https://truenortharms.com/ar15_default_store_view/gas-tubes-for-ar-15-ar-10-stainless-1.html

I think it being .200 longer would put it right in the middle of the cam pin cutout. The question remains though, do I even need to worry about it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It will probably cycle like that, but a gas tube is so easy to swap, it makes little sense not to have the correct size. Armalite, Fulton Armory, Wilson Combat, and a few others sell the longer length tube.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You have an AR15 rifle length gas tube. The Faxon barrels I've used required the Armalite AR10 rifle length gas tube which is about 3/8" longer. They are getting harder to find anymore. Fulton Armory  sells one the length you need.

Using the shorter gas tube may or may not cause some cycling issues. You won't know for sure until you shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
It will probably cycle like that, but a gas tube is so easy to swap, it makes little sense not to have the correct size. Armalite, Fulton Armory, Wilson Combat, and a few others sell the longer length tube.
View Quote
I never checked Wilson Combat for the AR10 length gas tubes. Good to know they have them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lew:
View Quote

Anderson sells it also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, good to know there are multiple sources for the ~15.5" tubes. If the longer tubes will work, I'd rather go that route than have to pay twice as much for the 15.375" True North tube.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Faxon barrels in particular need the longer gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:19:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#9]
Originally Posted By lwbyo1:
I never checked Wilson Combat for the AR10 length gas tubes. Good to know they have them.
View Quote

Problem with Wilson is that they place their barrel gas tube length halfway between AR15 and AR10 specs. This is supposed to make them work well with either length but in reality makes them under gassed with AR15 length and the AR10 length tubw sticks in the gas key due to excess length.

My advice?  When you find a gas tube that works for your barrel... buy a second as a spare.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have that issue with my last AR 308 build. Functions fine with everything from old 70s surplus ball to FGMM. I thought when I first assembled it, it would be temporary and I’d get a correct length gas tube to replace. Still haven’t because it works. I think Faxon has something on their website about it and how/why it shouldn’t make any difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#11]
As soon as the carrier travels ~1/4" the gas is venting from the carrier and the bolt is at full stroke.
As long as the gas tube is still in the gas key until that point it will make almost zero difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in a similar boat. I have a Faxon mid-length 16" barrel on my Aero M5 308. Was coming up short like you were with mid-length gas tubes. I had to get an Armalite "Carbine" length AR10 gas tube. my ejection definitely improved after the swap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
As soon as the carrier travels ~1/4" the gas is venting from the carrier and the bolt is at full stroke.
As long as the gas tube is still in the gas key until that point it will make almost zero difference.
View Quote

Theoretically, I agree. However, putting the 15.5" tube in after I swapped in a Faxon barrel cleared up ejection issues I was having when the shorter tube was in. Same thing on my brother's build. No changes to either other than the gas tubes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DevL:

Problem with Wilson is that they place their barrel gas tube length halfway between AR15 and AR10 specs. This is supposed to make them work well with either length but in reality makes them under gassed with AR15 length and the AR10 length tubw sticks in the gas key due to excess length.

My advice?  When you find a gas tube that works for your barrel... buy a second as a spare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DevL:

I looked on their site before posting and they do list a specific, 15.50" length, AR10 gas tube for sale.

https://wilsoncombat.com/gas-tube-rifle-length-ar-10.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:09:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#15]

I looked on their site before posting and they do list a specific, 15.50" length, AR10 gas tube for sale.

https://wilsoncombat.com/gas-tube-rifle-length-ar-10.html
View Quote

Yes, the gas TUBE is the correct length. Their barrels use a gas PORT distance that is in between AR15 and AR10. With my Wilson Combat barrel, the AR15 length Wilson gas tube won't function without a suppressor, but the AR10 length gas tube is so long it jams into the  interior of my carrier gas key and sticks, causing about a 40% failure rate. If the gas tube was about 1-2 mm shorter, I would not have a problem. If you find the gas tube you buy works, buy a second, just in case.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#16]
I built mine on an Awro M5 frame with an Aero bolt and Criterion rifle length gas barrel.

I used the Aero rifle length gas tube which is the same part for either an AR15 or an AR10.

I guess it would depend on what frame, bolt, and barrel are used to determine the proper gas tube length.

As far as I understood it, the DPMS high platform used standard gas tubes, no in-between sizes…at least for the standard gas port placements.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top