Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 21
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just received 7 boxes of Remington's R68R1 batch and I am a little dissappointed in what I see.

COAL based from the ogive using a Sinclair International comparator ranged from 2.775" to 2.811".  Is this normal?  COAL without the comparator ranged from 2.210" to 2.235".

Not sure if I should pull the bullets and set the COAL to something closer to the lands
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI, I have 100 pieces of Rem 6.8 SPC brass on the EE, if someone needs some LMK.Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just received 7 boxes of Remington's R68R1 batch and I am a little dissappointed in what I see.

COAL based from the ogive using a Sinclair International comparator ranged from 2.775" to 2.811".  Is this normal?  COAL without the comparator ranged from 2.210" to 2.235".

Not sure if I should pull the bullets and set the COAL to something closer to the lands

While that is disappointing in terms of basic consistency, I'd see how that translates into real accuracy and velocity SD before doing anything drastic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got 100 rounds of factory Remington 115 Sierra's from Ratworx.  So far, it looks like Remington still has some room for improvement.  The factory stuff doesn't shoot as good as handloads with V-Max's and H322 and chrono results are around 2,550 fps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know if this is working, as I am not very good with forums, but will try anyway.  I will receive 1000 Remington 6.8 cases from Midway on 7-19.  Just a short note regarding reloads for the 6.8 in reformed .30 Remington brass.  A reasonable load in factory 6.8 Remington SPC brass produces a severe overload (expanded primer pockets, gas eruption, etc.) in reformed .30 Remington brass.  This has been mentioned by J.D. Jones in other places.  Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

after i read this i had to test for myself , so i loaded 3 new 6.8 rem. brass with 29.0grs of h322 with a fed. 210 match primer a110 vmax col. of 3.302 it shot fine.there was barely any flating of the primer, it  looked normal. then i loaded the same load in 3 new reformed 30 rem. brass, everything looked the same on pressure , primers had very little flating.both loads shot to same place on target about a1" group for 6 shots ,i weighed both types of brass only .2grs differance. so the 44 sp. to 44 mag comparason is not accurate.i loaded some reformed cases 8 times with max loads before primers felt to loose HAVEIN FUN NOW
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if this has been linked before:
www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/68mm-rem-spc.php
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is response I got today from Remington concerning 6.8 Ammo

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
6.8 SPC

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Chris) - 07/21/2005 02:58 PM
Dear Mr. Morrow,

Remington has made some recent breakthroughs in the design and development of 6.8Remington SPC ammunition. We have not however been able to consistently meet our production goals. We will be filling backorders as production quantities permit but we do anticipate shortages of 6.8 Rem SPC for at least the next 90 days.

Customer (Gary Morrow) - 07/20/2005 05:03 PM
What is the hold up getting 6.8 SPC ammo out to the market place ? It seems that the date and reasons for its delay keeps changing every month ?

Does Remington plan on supporting the this caliber ?

Sincerely

Gary D Morrow
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
cangun:
Please do not assume that because the cases are close to the same weight that the case walls are the same thickness at the head area. When you form a case brass flows toward the shoulder and  case mouth and may move the weight forward. Because of this you may need to ream and or outside trim the neck. If you do not  there may be to much neck tension and it also may pinch the neck in the chamber. This can result in a over pressure condition and if high enough will cause the case to vent at the weakest point.

The best way to check how two cases compare is to section each and measure the wall thickness.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
cangun:
Please do not assume that because the cases are close to the same weight that the case walls are the same thickness at the head area. When you form a case brass flows toward the shoulder and  case mouth and may move the weight forward. Because of this you may need to ream and or outside trim the neck. If you do not  there may be to much neck tension and it also may pinch the neck in the chamber. This can result in a over pressure condition and if high enough will cause the case to vent at the weakest point.

The best way to check how two cases compare is to section each and measure the wall thickness.

Joe

I know about the differances in the cases, the neck is a little tighter in the refomed brass , still no problems with them.  From what i have seen so far i dont think you can get  enough H-322 in either type of case to cause a failure, with a 110gr. bullet. I had trouble getting 29.0gr. in, with a 110 TSX ,the compression was so tight the bullet would stick in the die.So i backed the load down to 27.0 to make the bullet stay in the case. The COL .was 2.290. No problems getting  the 110 vmax to fit with 29.0grs. This sure is a fun project.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i dont think you can get  enough H-322 in either type of case to cause a failure, with a 110gr. bullet. I had trouble getting 29.0gr. in, with a 110 TSX ,the compression was so tight the bullet would stick in the die.So i backed the load down to 27.0 to make the bullet stay in the case. The COL .was 2.290. No problems getting  the 110 vmax to fit with 29.0grs. This sure is a fun project.

I need to respond to this.   It is possible to at least blow out primers with H322 (done it) and I'm guessing RL10X also.

The crux of powder selection for 6.8SPC especially is that you want the most of the slowest powder you can fit in the case and still have it produce enough initial pressure to burn most efficiently.   In 6.8SPC, powders like W748 and VV-N135 are just too bulky to be able to fit enough in to get in trouble.   But that also means that by switching to a denser and faster powder, we might be able to reach more velocity.  That's why H322 and RL10X are well suited to 6.8SPC.

In short, you still got to work up your loads.  Don't assume nothing bad will happen regardless of how much you cram in the case-- especially with H322 and RL10X.

FWIW, I can load 29.0gr H322 with the 110gr VMAX in Rem 6.8SPC cases to 2.285" OAL with no pressure issues and only minor compaction.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Zak that is really the only point I was trying to make do not assume forming brass from the early 1900's to modern day pressures is no problem. Knock on wood but in over 30 years of reloading have not had anything of a bad nature happen with my reloads and would like to keep it that way.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i dont think you can get  enough H-322 in either type of case to cause a failure, with a 110gr. bullet. I had trouble getting 29.0gr. in, with a 110 TSX ,the compression was so tight the bullet would stick in the die.So i backed the load down to 27.0 to make the bullet stay in the case. The COL .was 2.290. No problems getting  the 110 vmax to fit with 29.0grs. This sure is a fun project.

I need to respond to this.   It is possible to at least blow out primers with H322 (done it) and I'm guessing RL10X also.

The crux of powder selection for 6.8SPC especially is that you want the most of the slowest powder you can fit in the case and still have it produce enough initial pressure to burn most efficiently.   In 6.8SPC, powders like W748 and VV-N135 are just too bulky to be able to fit enough in to get in trouble.   But that also means that by switching to a denser and faster powder, we might be able to reach more velocity.  That's why H322 and RL10X are well suited to 6.8SPC.

In short, you still got to work up your loads.  Don't assume nothing bad will happen regardless of how much you cram in the case-- especially with H322 and RL10X.

FWIW, I can load 29.0gr H322 with the 110gr VMAX in Rem 6.8SPC cases to 2.285" OAL with no pressure issues and only minor compaction.

I concur with Zak...29.gr of H322 with the 110 V-Max at 2.280 (for me) and NO pressure signs and groups at 1/2 - 3/4" at 100m and average velocity of 2,640fps out of my MSTN 18" upper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#14]
MidSouth has 6.8 available in packs of 100 for $22 and change:  Link
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I just received  a  6.8 SPC trim die( It fits my Dillon 1200) and a 6.8SPC case gage  from the fine folks at C-H Tool & Die.I checked the 500 round lots of new brass I received from Midway and from Lock Stock & Barrel and found that almost all  were over the case gages O.A.L and will require trimming  and resizing to straighten out the case mouths. I normally do this anyway as well as deburr the flashole and uniform the primer pockets. I checked out a few rounds of the Remington 115 OTM ammo  and it would not chamber completely in the case gage although I have not had any functioning problems  with it in my M-468. Now that the brass situation is somewhat better I'm looking forward to using my Barret  during one day of a two-day carbine class the wife and I will be taking in mid August.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
For those who want to try something different and use a ball powder that works well in the 6.8 try working up a load for your rifle with AA2520.  I have used up to 31.7 MAX  and WLR primers under a 115 hornady at 2.295 OAL. for a true 2600 fps from a 16" barrel. 31.7 of AA2520 the fills the case to the base of the neck so there is no spillage when using dillon loader. My best group has been .41 inch at a hundred yards so it is an accurate load. It works with 110 gr barnes X and V-max as well .This load also works well in my other two 20 inch 6.8's. You get nearly 2700 fps out of a 20" barrel.
This load works well  for me but make sure you start at least 5% lower and work up loads in your  paticular firearm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MidSouth has 6.8 available in packs of 100 for $22 and change:  Link

Not anymore!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried to find the answer to this question in the two different 6.8mm threads, but couldn't;

I decided to try the Hornady 115gr OTM with the cannalure.  To get the cannalure to line up with the case neck the COAL is only 2.230 This seems WAY short.  I had been loading the Hornady 110gr OTM to 2.270.  

Anybody have any reloading advice for AA2230 with the 115gr bullet and the shorter COAL of 2.230 or should I switch to a different powder?

Stephen
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
My *guess* is that they put the cannelure there to conform the OAL to the 223 spec, but since we're all using PRI mags we seat them out further.

Unless you really want to crimp into it, just seat them further out.

If you have a load to the 110gr VMAX, just reduce it slightly and re-work up for the 115gr.    The 110gr is actually longer which should "make up" for the 5 fewer gr in terms of pressure.

-z
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My *guess* is that they put the cannelure there to conform the OAL to the 223 spec, but since we're all using PRI mags we seat them out further.

Unless you really want to crimp into it, just seat them further out.

If you have a load to the 110gr VMAX, just reduce it slightly and re-work up for the 115gr.    The 110gr is actually longer which should "make up" for the 5 fewer gr in terms of pressure.

-z

Well, that makes sense.  Thanks for the help Zak.

Stephen
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone else receive a product availability email from MidwayUSA today stating that they have Remington 115gr. Premier Match 200rd. cases in stock? I did, and I checked their website only to find that it was out of stock/back-ordered I called and spoke with an operator who told me that it came in yesterday morning, and was gone in a couple of hours. Oh well, at least there is more and more becoming available lately
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#22]
In earlier posts there was a discussion on what the blue mag pul followers were for. I just received two extended capacity mags for my 6.5 Grendel and they have the blue followers. Two questions. Are the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC mags with the blue followers interchangable and are the blue followers available from magpul as replacements for the metal follower on my 6.8 Pri mag?  BTW I also have some of the red and brown magpul followers to round out this rainbow deal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anyone else receive a product availability email from MidwayUSA today stating that they have Remington 115gr. Premier Match 200rd. cases in stock? I did, and I checked their website only to find that it was out of stock/back-ordered I called and spoke with an operator who told me that it came in yesterday morning, and was gone in a couple of hours. Oh well, at least there is more and more becoming available lately

I checked the Midway website last night and noticed it listed one case of Premier Match left in stock. In a few minutes that was gone.

I didn't receiive the product availability e-mail until this morning.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In earlier posts there was a discussion on what the blue mag pul followers were for. I just received two extended capacity mags for my 6.5 Grendel and they have the blue followers. Two questions. Are the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC mags with the blue followers interchangable and are the blue followers available from magpul as replacements for the metal follower on my 6.8 Pri mag?  BTW I also have some of the red and brown magpul followers to round out this rainbow deal.

Check out PRi's website. They have the Magpul followers: http://www.pri-mounts.com/
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got back from a wildland fire in Nevada near Elko. Has the Hornady TAP 6.8 SPC ammo been released yet?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#26]
OK reloaders I have a rookie question, but I want to first say that I'm a 12ga reloader and I like my little MEC600jr reloader.

I too am getting tired of never having a chance to buy 6.8spc (I've had an upper for over a year now) and want to start reloading my own .223 as well as 6.8.

Does any know if the LEE LoadMaster works well (it looks like a shotgun press) or should I just buy the RCBS Rock Crusher Supreme Master Reloading kit for a $20 difference?

Thanks in advance.

TheOutlaw
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OK reloaders I have a rookie question, but I want to first say that I'm a 12ga reloader and I like my little MEC600jr reloader.

I too am getting tired of never having a chance to buy 6.8spc (I've had an upper for over a year now) and want to start reloading my own .223 as well as 6.8.

Does any know if the LEE LoadMaster works well (it looks like a shotgun press) or should I just buy the RCBS Rock Crusher Supreme Master Reloading kit for a $20 difference?

Thanks in advance.

TheOutlaw

Most guys don't seem to care much for Lee stuff.  I have used a Pro 1000 with pretty fair results but it's pretty light duty.  I can't give first-hand experience with the Loadmaster.

I'd recommend either a Dillon 550 or 650 or the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want to reload small volumes of rifle ammo, a single stage press is fine.

To crank it out, get a Dillon 550 or 650 and use it in "stages".

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree with Zak - I have an RCBS Rockchucker that does the job fine.  Since I have been taking my time loading for my 6.8, a progressive reloader won't help any.  Now, if you want to quickly load practice pistol and small rifle cases, a Dillon 550B is hard to beat!

Mark
68 SPC Yahoo! Group
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#30]
It takes me about an hour to load 100 rounds on my single stage press.  And that is going fast.  If I'm building accuracy loads it takes two to three times that long.

Stephen
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's how to load "near match" on a 650..

1.Rresize/deprime, trim, and prime all beforehand, using a SS press and a hand prime tool.  This removes a lot of the issues with progressive press and rifle cartridges (e.g. mispriming, all that ka-chunking for resizing, lube, etc)

2. Use either no resize die, or a neck only with no expander ball.  Do not prime.

3. Carefully calibrate the powder measure to throw within 0.1gr

4. Run the primed, ready to go cases through the case feeder (or just its feed tube).   The press does basically nothing on stages 1 & 2.

In effect, you are using the progressive press to simply charge, seat bullets, and optionally crimp the rounds.

This speeds things up a LOT.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#32]
It sounds like Remington ammo is hitting the distributors and local shops.

In order to post accurate data on the FAQ, could I get people with different barrels types and lengths to post chrono data from the Rem factory ammo?

THANKS
Zak
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#33]
If you are just wanting to get into reloading for a rifle
any single stage press is fine.  The best bang for the
buck is the Lee challenger anniversery press kit, just add
dies and expendables.  Have used this for many years to
reload 308 for my bolt gun.  Sub MOA and a happy smile.
This is a great way to get into reloading on the cheap.

And yes boys, I oen my fair share of Dillon products.......

D
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
THANKS
Zak

I can confirm Zak is correct, factory ammo is starting to hit the distributors and local shops.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#35]
This chronograph data came from the Remington 115 OTM ammo that I received with my Barrett M-468 with 16" barrel- High = 2604 , Low = 2552 , Avg. = 2556 , SD = 31.6 , ES = 81.3 This was for (5) shots fired over a Pact Professional Chronograph 2' screen spacing @ 12' from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THANKS
Zak

I can confirm Zak is correct, factory ammo is starting to hit the distributors and local shops.

members.cox.net/pcirco/DSC00195.JPG

You are a cruel cruel man!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Here's how to load "near match" on a 650..

1.Rresize/deprime, trim, and prime all beforehand, using a SS press and a hand prime tool.  This removes a lot of the issues with progressive press and rifle cartridges (e.g. mispriming, all that ka-chunking for resizing, lube, etc)

2. Use either no resize die, or a neck only with no expander ball.  Do not prime.

3. Carefully calibrate the powder measure to throw within 0.1gr

4. Run the primed, ready to go cases through the case feeder (or just its feed tube).   The press does basically nothing on stages 1 & 2.

In effect, you are using the progressive press to simply charge, seat bullets, and optionally crimp the rounds.

This speeds things up a LOT.

Zak, here is where I differ in my process. I figured it out reloading for a M1-A shooting hi-power.

1.  Resize/deprime, trim, then run through tumbler to remove lube. Prime using the 650 as normal.

2.  Use a universal decapping die to be sure no junk is left in the flash hole.

3. Good to go!

4.  Load your ass off

For the long range loads I threw them with a measure, weighing every third and filling the case. I would then feed them in at station 4 just seat the bullet, very mild crimp to iron out the mouth and aid feeding, and dump them out in the bin at the end. Yes it saves a bunch of time over a single stage.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I've just had problems priming stubborn cases in the 650, and I can hand prime while watching TV and ensure consistent depth.  Same basic idea.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey 1Outlaw, I for one know absolutely nothing about the dillon presses so I cant say anything about reloading with them other than the little dillon catalogs I get have outstanding cover models pictured on the front  I would like to give Dillon a big +1 for their cover models!!!

I do reload .223 rounds with a single stage press and my experience has me using an RCBS single stage press.  I use Hornady Dies in the red box.  Use a Hornady case trimmer.  RCBS powder scale.  A BIG Hornady brass tumbler.  And one of my favorite tools for reloading is from RCBS too.  I use the RCBS hand priming tool that holds a pile of primers, is it 100?  I only do fifty rds at a time when I reload cause I mainly reload for accuracy...not supreme accuracy mind you as I dont have a runout gauge, but I do a lot of measuring and I hand measure every powder charge down to the grain so fifty is about all I can stand.  It takes a while for me because I try to follow a certain routine that helps to prevent me from errors.  A small error in reloading can equate to big things you know  Anyway, I suppose this may not add to a 6.8 forum but I do want a 6.8...just gimme some time and more money dammit  Ok, back to RCBS, they have outstanding customer support and outstanding warranty coverage.  They even sent me replacement parts for the press I have that I bought from a friend.  I told them I would be happy to pay for the parts but the service rep insisted I take the replacement parts free of charge!!!  She said RCBS presses are covered by a lifetime warranty, regardless of who is in possesion of it and that they strive for total customer satisfaction!  I do have a limited experience with Lee products too.  Why limited experience?  Cause in my opinion Lee products are cheap made and will not handle even normal usage, especially with larger cartridges.  Lee will back up their products, but then, if the thing is always breaking how can you use it?  My RCBS part I needed by the way was a few worn pivot pins, happens with lots of use over years and punching out crimped primers didnt help either.  Anyway, I wish you best of luck with whatever you decide.  I'd say at the least stay clear of the Lee presses.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks Lord_Vulcanizer,

For the $20 difference (vs. the Lee LoadMaster), I can get the RCBS Supreme Master Reloader kit from Natchez and that should be a good entry level kit to start with.

Even amongst the shotgun reloaders I've talked to and know, I've only come across 1 that uses a Lee press (but he likes it and says he's had no problems.)

I'll look on Zaks web site and get the part #'s needed to reload 6.8, and if you'd care to share your recipe for .223, I'd be interested in looking at it.  

You can IM me.

TX, Outlaw
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree with you regarding RCBS and their Customer Service.  A few years ago, I bought an old powder measure from eBay that was pretty worn out.  I sent it back to RCBS with a letter explaining the issues and they sent me back a brand new unit!

I have loaded a few thousand pistol rounds with my Rock Chucker including 450 6.8 cases, and have had no issues with it.  Since I generally take my time anyway, I have had no reason to get a Dillon, although I also like theit products and their catalogs!

Mark
6.8 SPC Yahoo! Group
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like remington is finally getting serious about the 6.8.  It was 2 weeks since they sent out the last bunch of brass.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the tip.  Just ordered mine today!

I am new to this site and I probably posted this question below to the wrong board.

Maybe somebody here can help.

I have a new Model 1 6.8mm SPC upper on my Bushy lower. Just ran some reloads through it yesterday and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Both loads were from IMR and Hodgdon sites.

1.  IMR 4198 23.5 grains, Hornady 115 grain OTM, 2515 fps, 50,000 PSI. Very accurate (two holes usually touching, one flyer out to about 1 inch - probably me), but some failed to lock the bolt back on last round and one failed to cycle fully enough to strip the next round from the magazine. NO signs of excess pressure (and this is listed as a max load). I was wondering if anyone has pushed this further with additional IMR 4198 above 23.5 grains?  Also, I have fired new ammunition from Precision Crafted Ammunition with no issues of the bolt not locking back or stripping the magazine.  This leads me to believe that it is not a gas port issue, but rather a gas pressure issue with the load above.

2.  Hodgdon H322 28.2 grains, Hornady 115 grain OTM, 2608 fps, 53,300 PSI. Not as accurate at 1.5 to 2 inches. Again, NO signs of excess pressure.  No failures to lock back or feed.

Any comments at all or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Thanks for the tip.  Just ordered mine today!

I am new to this site and I probably posted this question below to the wrong board.

Maybe somebody here can help.

I have a new Model 1 6.8mm SPC upper on my Bushy lower. Just ran some reloads through it yesterday and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Both loads were from IMR and Hodgdon sites.

1.  IMR 4198 23.5 grains, Hornady 115 grain OTM, 2515 fps, 50,000 PSI. Very accurate (two holes usually touching, one flyer out to about 1 inch - probably me), but some failed to lock the bolt back on last round and one failed to cycle fully enough to strip the next round from the magazine. NO signs of excess pressure (and this is listed as a max load). I was wondering if anyone has pushed this further with additional IMR 4198 above 23.5 grains?  Also, I have fired new ammunition from Precision Crafted Ammunition with no issues of the bolt not locking back or stripping the magazine.  This leads me to believe that it is not a gas port issue, but rather a gas pressure issue with the load above.

2.  Hodgdon H322 28.2 grains, Hornady 115 grain OTM, 2608 fps, 53,300 PSI. Not as accurate at 1.5 to 2 inches. Again, NO signs of excess pressure.  No failures to lock back or feed.

Any comments at all or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I can comment on your H322 and 115 OTM loads...I too have found the the 115's not as accurate as my 110 V-Max.  Look for my data on Part 1 of this thread.  I have used 28.6 grs with the OTM's with the best at 1.5-2" groups. I get consistant 1/2" groups with the 110 V-max's and 28.8 grs. Never had any lock back or feed issues, check your mags.  

Vic
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Just spent $123.00 at Midway for my first 500 rds of brass!

Now, I need bullets!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Should have stayed on midways site for those.

I like these for plinking
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Just an update...
As of Sunday July 31st at 6:15pm west coast time, Midway shows (3) 1000 count boxes left and 'available' (which usually means more then 5) on 500 count, 100 count and 20 count boxes.

Randall
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks Victor,

I actually had no failures to feed or hold open with the H322.  New PRI mags too.  I really liked the accuracy of the IMR 4198 over the H322, I just think it's a little weak.

Has anyone pushed pushed IMR 4198 past 23.5 grains with 115 grain bullets?  Again, with the MAX load listed the primer was perfect with no deformation and the recoil/report was extremely mild.

Also, has anyone figured out how to replicate the Remington published 2800 fps with the 115 grain loads?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Ohio_Rifleshooter:
I had similar problems with lock back and cartridge stripping.  Without thinking the whole thing through very well, I started to increase the load (AL 10X) until I began to blow primers and expand pockets.  The real problem was that the bolt carrier key was slightly loose.  After fixing the loose key, every reasonable load that I tried worked fine.  The lightest load that I tried was 24 grains of AL 10X, 115 grain Hornady HPBT, and Winchester large rifle primer for about 2400 fps.  Even this very light load functions my Model 1 upper just fine.

Zak:
My last five shot string of Remington factory ammo (lot 45248 ?) through my Oehler 35P gave an average velocity of 2590 fps and extreme spread of 24 fps.  This is out of a 20 inch barrel on a 95 degree F day.  Sky screens at four feet separation and 6 feet from the muzzle.
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top