BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm definitely interested in 80% ones; especially w/the buffer threads done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely interested in 80% ones; especially if the buffer threads are done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Would ATF consider it further completion if all the holes were located by a very shallow proper diameter hole, not deep just a little deeper than you'd see engraving done.  Sort of a locator for the holes so you could lock it up square in a vise and not need to buy a drilling fixture.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't be an issue as the KT Ordnance 80% lower has the hole premarked with a shallow drill spot for all the holes.

www.ktordnance.com/kto/products.php
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the 3rd operation  finished over the weekend.  I've just now had time to post my progress.  On the 3rd operation I machined the top plane of the receiver (the fire control area and mag well).  It's kinda hard to tell anything from this pic, but maybe after the next operation I can take a few good pics to show the progress.  Just thought I'd share a little eye candy with you guys.

Check out the progress here... www.cncgunsmithing.com

Later,
Justin

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
What steps are necessary to complete an 80% reciever?

Is this something that someone with fairly decent tinkering skills could do?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Definitely interested in 80% ones; especially if the buffer threads are done.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry I haven't posted updates lately, I've been putting all my time into getting this project compete.  So that hasn't left much time for me to update my website.  But my website is up to date now.  

Good News.... The AR45 project is finished!!!!  I even test fired it this afternoon.  After I shot the AR45, one word comes to mind.... SWEEEEEET!!!!!!  I put over 100 rounds through the rifle, and I didn't have any problems at all.  I still need to black anodize the lower and I hope do that next week.  

The AR45 rifle is pretty basic right now, but later on I'll get some good sights/optics for it and fancy it up

Below are some pics of AR45.  Check out my website for the full update.... www.cncgunsmithing.com

Justin

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
That is just flippin' AWESOME!!!!

I love how you did the magazine catch/release.

Now if you could only offer them in 100% finished.

eta: ooops....wrong smilie....
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry I haven't posted updates lately, I've been putting all my time into getting this project compete.  So that hasn't left much time for me to update my website.  But my website is up to date now.  
]

sweet
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
hurry up and get your SOT, I want to buy one sooooooooooooooo bad. I will SBR mine with a 7 inch bbl.

PHUCKIN' HARDCORE
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
one word:

wooooooooooooaaaaaaaaa...

you got some skills with the CNC dude..
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a work of art....great thinking on the mag catch. You got skills!

And yes, please do whatever you must to sell them as 100% finished lowers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Justin, that is a work of art.

You have no idea how many of those receivers you could sell.

I am drooling on my keyboard as we speak just looking at the pics.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice indeed.....

So how come no one was thinking of this stuff up during the ban!

eta-
I guess this is what I get for not looking in here that much....
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Justin, that is as usual, awesome.... PURE ART !
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]
that is impressive

I've been pondering a pistol caliber SBR for some time.... that would do the trick for me
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice very nice, I got to get me one of them
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats just plain sweet.  I would like to have one of those but am clueless on how to do an 80% lower and my mechanical skillz are seriously lacking.  Would it be within the realm of possibiltiy to go to someone like CMT and have those made for the general public.  I think you could make some serious sales with something like that.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Great work.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#22]
TAG I want one!  Or more!
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#23]
lol damn and you do this stuff full tim or on the side??   I mean look at this an A1 detach carry handle,  how cool is that?

took this off your site,   I needs one
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#24]
That is exactly what I want, and it looks great!!!!!

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You need to put these into full production!  I want 3.  I'm sure you could sell thousands of these easily.

+1

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks guys for the nice comments on my AR45.  I'm glad you all like the work I've done.  The only thing I don't like so far, is that some of my grease gun mags are really tight in the mag well.  Some of them will fall right in, and then some you have to force.  Non of my mags are new, so I'm thinking they probably aren't to the spec of a new grease gun mag.  Also, I don't know what kind of tolerance they held when they made these mags.  I don't really want to open the mag well up any more in the receiver, since that would cause some of the mags to be really loose.  So I think I'm just going to take the tight fitting mags and sand down the excess material and refinish them.  I measured the mags, and they are only out about 0.010" from the good mags, so it won't take much sanding.  

Also, I remember seeing post on here about people having to use different buffers with their .45 uppers.  Seems like they said they had to use a heavier buffer or something.  I'm using a standard spring and buffer for a collapsible stock as in the pic on my website.  I didn't have any problems at all....of course I've only shot a little over 100 rounds so far.  I want to say some people said the bolt would beat the crap out of the buffer.  As you can see in the pic below, the buffer was hardly touched.   Am I missing something here?

BTW, I'm anodzing the AR45 receiver today.  I hope to take some new pics tonight of the finished rifle.

After reading the replies you guys have been giving me, makes me want to do more and more projects

Thanks,
Justin

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd love to have something like this.  The machining looks superb too.  My question is cost, since you are doing this out of billet rather than a forging.  I'm scared of this.

What other projects would you consider undertaking?  Something like the AR47 lowers would be really sweet, but I doubt they would be kept affordable with no forgings either.  Oh well, just tossing ideas out there.  

Awesome work!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#29]
The problem with the buffer is that you will notice it is bottoming in the buffer tube.   It acts like a slide hammer.   An aluminum receiver will fail at the loop where the buffer tube attatches but it will take several thousand rounds before it snaps.    With all that work in the lower I'd install a heavy buffer.   You want to get around 8 ounces, this heavy will also reduce recoil dramatically, it wont feel so snappy.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I know it is not an AR15 .45 carbine, but this is a pretty sweet carbine conversion from Wilson Combat for 1911's. On sale too. Only $230.00 www.wilsoncombat.com/a_carbine_conversion.asp

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/465.jpg
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice work....

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The problem with the buffer is that you will notice it is bottoming in the buffer tube.  

Does the AR15 buffer not bottom out in the buffer tube after every shot????  I don't know if it does or not.  If it does bottom out, I don't see what the difference would be between the AR15 receiver and my AR45 receiver.

Justin
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#33]

After reading the replies you guys have been giving me, makes me want to do more and more projects        

Justin, you don't need anymore projects. Get set up to start selling these receivers,
and you will make a gazillion dollars.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I know it is not an AR15 .45 carbine, but this is a pretty sweet carbine conversion from Wilson Combat for 1911's. On sale too. Only $230.00 www.wilsoncombat.com/a_carbine_conversion.asp

www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/465.jpg

thats not exclusive to wilson. Mech Tech carbine conversion unit(CCU) are made for several guns mostly 1911's and glocks.

[strange wisper on]buld it and they will buy[strange wisper off]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Justin, you don't need anymore projects. Get set up to start selling these receivers,
and you will make a gazillion dollars.  

I'd be up for a 100% reciever.

+1 on the Gazillion bucks.  You sir, could be a rich man...
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#36]
+1 on getting these approved and selling 100% receivers. that's if you're a FFL of the correct #.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm glad Justin got it done. I put the bug in his ear late last year about this project but he came up with the idea for the mag release. All I wanted was a way to use unmodified mags. His mag release design is way better than mine and shows some keen "outside the box" thinking. He told me he never produced the AR45 receiver to sell. He just wanted to see if he could take my idea and make it work. 'Course he did all the leg work and the final design is his.

My question is, how/why is this so hard for the big names in the business to execute? This took one guy with an idea and one guy with the skills and equipment to produce and about 6-8 months for R&D on the weekends.

My hats off to Justin for making what no one else could/would.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#38]
That's pretty darn cool!!

Can that code that Justin wrote be used with other CNC machines? (Take it easy on me, I'm not a machinist)

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That's pretty darn cool!!

Can that code that Justin wrote be used with other CNC machines? (Take it easy on me, I'm not a machinist)

CHRIS

That is an excellent question. If Justin does not want to sell 100% receivers,
couldn't he sell the CNC program to a gunmaker that would manufacture them?

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The problem with the buffer is that you will notice it is bottoming in the buffer tube.  

Does the AR15 buffer not bottom out in the buffer tube after every shot????  I don't know if it does or not.  If it does bottom out, I don't see what the difference would be between the AR15 receiver and my AR45 receiver.

Justin

I dont know if it will bottom or not, the point is that you've gotta soften the blow.   If you know someone with a heavy buffer laying around just stick it in there and you'll immediately see the difference.   It's not so damned violent.   Think rubber mallet vs sledghammer.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I want one now too.  Dammit.  Make one and sell it to me!!!  All the work on the CNC Gunsmithing site is wicked.  Wish i had skills and equipment like that.  probably cost a pretty penny for one of those lowers tho.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Mr45auto: Oh ok.  I'll try to see if I can find a heavier buffer.  Will a buffer from a A2 buttstock work?  Where do you buy those heavy buffers at?

As for the CNC code you guys are asking about.  Yes, you could put my code in another CNC (with a little tweaking), but you'll have a hard time finding a shop where they will just slap somebody else's code in their $100k+ machining center and push the green button and just hope it works.  Most machine shops will want the drawing file or solidmodel so they can program their own CNC code.

I got the AR45 receiver black anodized and the mag catch parkerized today.  I've updated my website with some new pics.  The pics of the complete rifle aren't the best, but I'll try to take some better ones  this weekend.  At least you can get the idea

Thanks
Justin

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn that looks nice!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I kinda dig the silver lower, before it was anno'd.  I know that you need to coat aluminum with something or the Alu would corrode and fail fairly soon.  But I really like the way that the raw Alu contrasts with the black bits here and there.  not the best for the stealth factor, but pleasing to the eye none the less.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#46]
very nice !!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm in for 2.

I'm in the same area you are, I'll buy the ammo when you get ready to test it out

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#48]
That  finished receiver looks great Justin! Congrats on the great build!

Now if only I could get one just like it. hint, hint  
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Oh, I have got to get me one of those.

That looks great Justin. Now find a way to sell them to us,
or partner up with a manufacturer that can.

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Any idea on price yet...ball park?

80% $
100% (I like to dream) $
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top