User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Denny -

Will the ARES system work with an ARMS SIR?  I have a 458 build requesting that config ...
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there anywhere that Has these kits in stock?
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
What happened??  Denny fall off the face of the earth?  I looked at some basic items (triggers) on his website and it was all sold out?  Anyone minding the store.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]

talked to the guy @ ares .... no rife kits are available ... dang it !!!!!

oh well ... I hate when these guys offer a product and can't
deliver ...

Talon
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

deliver ...

Talon

Be patient.
I would imagine they are busy working on the revisions to the old parts. Being a weekend worrior in the machine shop has taught me alot of things. One of them being that machine work, JUST-TAKES-TIME.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

deliver ...

Talon

Be patient.
I would imagine they are busy working on the revisions to the old parts. Being a weekend worrior in the machine shop has taught me alot of things. One of them being that machine work, JUST-TAKES-TIME.

well a more direct quote of his statement was.. they were to busy building carbine
kits to build rifle kits .. and they were trying to get another mill on line to help with
the load .. and to check back in a few months and they might be doing the rifle
kits again ...

well I guess if your into making money and that was your main thing then they should
drop the rifle kits all together,, rather than make them as an after thought ...

I guess I think my rifle is just as important as some ones carbine ...

but if I want the product I'll have to wait till they get around to us bottom shelf guys ..

Sorry to rant ... ya'll can spank me later for it
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Any word on availability on the carbine kits?????

Cant find then anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update.  I hate to bring this up but,  any word for those of us who have the orginal version?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy Crap!  I didn't know this existed!  I want one!

Gotta find some shit to sell on ebay!
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
This may be a dumb question, so be polite when responding, but has anyone considered or tried to place one of the ARES conversions onto a Bushmaster Carbon15?

Do you think that a Carbon 15 would hold up to it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
This may be a dumb question, so be polite when responding, but has anyone considered or tried to place one of the ARES conversions onto a Bushmaster Carbon15?

Do you think that a Carbon 15 would hold up to it?

I have no experience with that material composition. One of the things I have noticed about this piston kit and from what I understand, all piston uppers. When the op-rod comes into contact with the bolt carrier the carrier rocks up in the front and obviously down in the back creating a slight rocking action. I dont beleive this is a large cause for alarm if the weapon stays properly lubed. Though I cant say for sure weather this could adversely affect that particular material differently than the typical aluminum receiver. One thing piston AR manufacturers have done to alleviate most of the rocking action is to machine the aft of the bolt carrier with a bulbous end as to create sort of a bushing to come in contact with the walls of the buffer tube in the recoil or charge action of the weapon immediatly after a round is fired. In which I beleive to be a quite ingenius idea. I hope all that makes sense and most of all I hope it helps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anybody know if the AR Lite Rail from Daniel Defense will work with the Ares Gas Piston?
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does anybody know if the AR Lite Rail from Daniel Defense will work with the Ares Gas Piston?

Negative. It will not clear the Gas Piston and the Lite Rail is a one piece free float rail system.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative. It will not clear the Gas Piston and the Lite Rail is a one piece free float rail system.

No chance at all?
Was thinking about using a low profile Vltor gas block with set screws.
My line of thought was that I could simple slide everything off towards the front.
Believe I remember a thread that discussed the merits of Larue and Daniel Defense Foreends. These two brands have a fair amount of space on the inside due to the excellent machining.
You really think it will not fly?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
This looks like a neat system, but one thing kind of concerns me...

The op rod and spring look pretty exposed (especially with that custom rail Denny milled up)...how is this thing going to stand up to dirt and mud in the field?  It seems like junk on the rod would just wear against the receiver bushing, eventually either grinding to a halt or letting material past to get packed into the receiver...
Link Posted: 8/23/2007 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I apologize if this has already been addressed...

Will these work with flip-up gas blocks? The YHM model to be specific.  Also, will this have enough clearence with a M10 'Multi-Roll' barrel contour from CMMG?
Thanks.

Damon
Link Posted: 8/24/2007 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I apologize if this has already been addressed...

Will these work with flip-up gas blocks? The YHM model to be specific.  Also, will this have enough clearence with a M10 'Multi-Roll' barrel contour from CMMG?
Thanks.

Damon

It is compatible, but I would recommend dimpling the barrel and using a set screw to keep it in place.  The piston banging into the FSB could cause it to walk over time.  I have mine on an M10 barrel with no problems.

Link Posted: 8/27/2007 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]
So how did you dimpling the barrel?
I have same setup. Thx for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2007 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I 'dimpled' mine also.
I'm using a JP gas block which I think uses 8-32 set screws (going by memory here).
I mounted the gas block then used the appropriate sized drill bit for tapping 8-32 holes.
I even used a bottoming tap on one of the holes so the set screw goes into the barrel a little so it would have to sheer the screw for the gas block to move.

Below is a picture of my ARES setup.  On my MGI lower w/ AK mag well installed and unmodified AK drum.
RDIAS installed.

Link Posted: 8/28/2007 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I 'dimpled' mine also.
I'm using a JP gas block which I think uses 8-32 set screws (going by memory here).
I mounted the gas block then used the appropriate sized drill bit for tapping 8-32 holes.
I even used a bottoming tap on one of the holes so the set screw goes into the barrel a little so it would have to sheer the screw for the gas block to move.

Below is a picture of my ARES setup.  On my MGI lower w/ AK mag well installed and unmodified AK drum.
RDIAS installed.

Can you post a video of that awesome gun of yours?

Man, I really would appreciate it. It is the most unique ARE GSR application I've seen so far.
Link Posted: 8/28/2007 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Amphibian,
What barrel length is that and how well does it work?
Also, does it stay pretty clean, even with the 7.62 stuff?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2007 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a 11.5" barrel.
Probably shouldn't have posted that pic since I'm still working on this setup but it's the only pic I've got of it.
It currently doesn't run in FA with the Ares kit.
With the regular gas tube, this upper runs 100%.

I've got a few videos of this upper as well as a 7.5" 7.62x39 upper running in FA
here:
www.livevideo.com/c3junkie

I have been experimenting w/ various buffers but still can't get it to run w/ this 11.5" barrel and the Ares kit.  The gas port was already opened up and as you can see I'm using an adjustable gas block.  No matter how I set the gas, it's a single shot gun right now.  Ejects case sometimes but never goes back far enough to cock hammer.

I've since moved the kit to a factory Colt 16" 7.62x.39 barrel w/ an unmodified gas port.
If it doesn't work with the Colt barrel, I'm going to hang it up.

No fault of the Ares kit since this is not what it was designed for in the first place.

BTW, the Ares kit works perfectly on my 11.5" 5.56 Bushmaster upper in FA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2007 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a 11.5" barrel.
Probably shouldn't have posted that pic since I'm still working on this setup but it's the only pic I've got of it.
It currently doesn't run in FA with the Ares kit.
With the regular gas tube, this upper runs 100%.

I've got a few videos of this upper as well as a 7.5" 7.62x39 upper running in FA
here:
www.livevideo.com/c3junkie

I have been experimenting w/ various buffers but still can't get it to run w/ this 11.5" barrel and the Ares kit.  The gas port was already opened up and as you can see I'm using an adjustable gas block.  No matter how I set the gas, it's a single shot gun right now.  Ejects case sometimes but never goes back far enough to cock hammer.

I've since moved the kit to a factory Colt 16" 7.62x.39 barrel w/ an unmodified gas port.
If it doesn't work with the Colt barrel, I'm going to hang it up.

No fault of the Ares kit since this is not what it was designed for in the first place.

BTW, the Ares kit works perfectly on my 11.5" 5.56 Bushmaster upper in FA.
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Thx for the dimpling instruction. Just finished the job and feel pretty secured.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I just went through 500 rounds of mixed ammo, "Wolf, American Eagle, Winchester, TAP, South African surplus." No mishap what so ever, Its spitted out every round.

My rifle is DPMS M4 with 14.5 with phantom flashhider. Prior to Ares, Average MOA was 1.5 at 100 yard using TAP. With ARES, the average MOA is still at 1.5 at 100 yard with same ammo. My barrel went through about 5000 rounds prior to ares. The barrel is Bushmaster and initial MOA was about 1 moa with match ammo.

ARES positives:
1. Easy cleaning. Simple wipe down. The firing pin was very clean.
2. Very cool. I was able to touch the bolt carrier bare hand after 300 rounds.
3. Very reliable. Rapid fire and slow fire. No problem what so ever.

ARES negatives:
1. The inside of the upper receiver was scraped bad. It showed bare silver finish.
2. ARES bolt carrier was very loose. It fell out of the upper receiver without any efforts.
3. ARES bolt carrier finish was very rough. It is not smooth as other brand bolt carriers.
4. I miss railed forearms.

I don't know how to post pictures. I have photobucket account. So can some one tell me how to post pictures?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#28]
How would this kit work on a 6.8 rem?
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I was wondering if anyone knew if this would work with the Vltor CASV-EL?
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Update:

Ok I just finished another 300 rounds on ARES kit.
This time I replaced the bolt with Young Chrome Bolt from PK firearms.
It was very easy the clean. Simple wipe down. Now I am thinking about Chrome the Bolt carrier too. I still observed a little bit of metal shaving on the bolt carrier from the upper receiver. Maybe my upper is too loose and caused unnecessary play. One thing for sure, Chrome is way too easy too clean.

I also upgrade my CMMG SPR upper with match chrome bolt and carrier. The accuracy got better. Today I shot sub MOA instead of usual 1 MOA. a friend of mine reloaded 62g boattail rounds and it produced .75 MOA at 100 yards (5 rounds). There was mild head wind. He also shot better than me. His best group was .65 MOA (5 rounds). Once again, Cleaning was just too easy. soaked in solvent and simple wipe down.

I am a very happy man.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone knew if this would work with the Vltor CASV-EL?

That info is in this thread somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I skimmed through and saw that someone asked about the Vltor Casv but didn't see a response. Does anyone know if it will work with this system or how much tweak'n there would be?
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Some guy has a photo posted of his ARES converted carbine with a VLTOR CASV-EL handguard over in the piston pictures thread under AR15 Discussions. He said that it required a minor amount of dremel work. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 1:40:06 AM EDT
[#35]

but were any of them for rifle .. not carbine ?????

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
What are the chances that this drop in kit gets noticed by the military or law enforcement?
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone done testing to see if it actually offers up improvements in dusty environments ect when compared to DI. That would be interesting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What are the chances that this drop in kit gets noticed by the military or law enforcement?

I cannot say a lot but there is interest.

I would guess any difficulties would arise from the inability to use the Ares with just about any unmodified rail system, especially the issue KAC.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I read in an earlier post that ares itself is developing a rail system for there product. It would be interesting to see how the ares piston would work in a sandy environment when compared to DI because that is the issue at hand in Iraq ect, I don't know if there would be much difference in function though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Well considering that I have called twice this week leaving one message and emailed once in reguards to the "Significant discounts for law enforcement and military" statement on their add and no reply I guess they dont want it to.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Denny, have you tried one using the DD Omega rail?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Denny I just wanted to say thank you for your help with the detail that I talked to you on the phone last week about. Contact has been made and all is good. Your a man of your word. Thank you again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Denny, have you tried one using the DD Omega rail?

Not yet the Omegas are not shipping yet but I plan to,

Here are the omega specs:

I jacked this from the thread on the omega rail.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#49]
kjc....

Have you experienced any more upper receiver wear?
Have you tried the ARES bolt carrier on any other receiver?
My purchase hinges on your answer....

Jorge in Florida
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
kjc....

Have you experienced any more upper receiver wear?
Have you tried the ARES bolt carrier on any other receiver?
My purchase hinges on your answer....

Jorge in Florida

Well sorry for the delay.
I used my dremel polisher to polished the entire ARES bolt carrier. Initially the bolt carrier's surface was very rough. I suspect the rough surface caused unwanted wear on my upper receiver. I polished the carrier 500 arounds ago (I almost shot 2000 rounds) and have not observed any additional wear on my receiver. I believe the key to prevent the wear is to polish the bolt carrier smooth. My carrier is free from rough edges and surfaces. By the way, I have not try the ARES on anyother rifles. I am very happy customer. I just need to find a replacement handguard. I miss my 4 railed handguard.
Jim
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top