AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YEP! I'll take 2  - I shoot corrosive 7.62X39 in my AR's all the time.  Only part you can't clean real well is the gas tube.  If it ever rots thru, its an easy fix to replace it. -  Looks like CProducts is going to get more of my $$$, would probably be an easy modification for them, to have their new 7.62x39 mag handle 5.45x39. - This thing might come together quicker than I figured.

Who makes the 7.62x39 uppers?

I got one from Model 1 works great.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lets wait and see.

I would think that switching the follower in regular mags might allow 5.45 to work.

I would rather not wait and see, I want to light a fire under someones ass to make one but I guess that isnt possible.  Like others have said, if someone comes out with one, it will be after all the cheap 5.45 is sold so why bother.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Like I said, "I don't know if it means anything"?? - Hope it does! - As far as the cheap 5.45 ammo, if I hold it down to 3,000 rds per year, got enough for the next 10.8 years.  Don't much care if they do raise the price.  -  Buy all you can, NOW! - All my 7.62X39 uppers are Model 1 Sales. Never any problems, good stuff.  JMHO
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Just buy a 5.45 AK, probably cheaper.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would say that you're right, but I haven't been seeing them at gun shows lately.  LOTS of 7.62 AKs, but only a handful of 5.45s.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

WTF?  You always base your buying decisions on what is cheapest?  Maybe some of us want an AR in this caliber.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I would definitely be interested, but depeding on the price, might prefer a source of barrels and bolts so I could put it together gradually on my own.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  You always base your buying decisions on what is cheapest?  Maybe some of us want an AR in this caliber.

Hilarious, as the reason that 99% of the people that want these uppers is for the cheap ammo available.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets wait and see.

I would think that switching the follower in regular mags might allow 5.45 to work.

I would rather not wait and see, I want to light a fire under someones ass to make one but I guess that isnt possible.  Like others have said, if someone comes out with one, it will be after all the cheap 5.45 is sold so why bother.

I'm only basing that on the fact that you can use 5.45 AK mags for 5.56 if you switch the followers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilarious, as the reason that 99% of the people that want these uppers is for the cheap ammo available.

Not that hilarious.  A 10% or 20% differential in price between firearms is not the same as a 300% differential in the price of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That really doesn't help me with the fact I want to shoot cheap surplus ammo with my M16 lower.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Very good idea! - Just bought 2 in 5.45 last month. - Still want an upper though!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a custom made 5.45 AR upper that was made off a NIW 5.45 bulgarian AK barrel.  To answer a few questions:

1.  With my chrome lined barrel the extraction is not an issue.  The real issue with extraction is getting the bolt pocket and extractor hook angle adjusted properly.

2.  Your gas tube will not corrode away to nothing.  Even if it did every 2,000 rounds, it is a $9 part you can easily replace and you are saving $350+ on ammo costs for those 2K rounds of 5.45 surplus vs. 5.56 steel case Wolf.

3.  Corrosion in general is not an issue, just clean it when you get home and it will be fine.

4.  Accruacy in my parituclar carbine ahs been nothing short of specatular, probaly in part to the fact the recoil impulse is less than on a 5.56 gun.

5.  Any AR mag will hold 5-7 rounds with no problem.  I have found the $35-$50 HK mags will hold 25 rounds and feed them reliably

6.  You will need M4 ramps to help with the feed geometry, and possibly a high power Wolf hammer spring.  My custom build also had the firing pin protrusion increased to help fire the military primers.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on what Dawg180 said.
I've got the same setup.
I've only put about 100 rounds through it and no problems w/ extraction yet.

I've got 4 HK mags and I have not had success with them.  Mine are the 1st gens with Chrome followers so I don't know if the 2nd gen HK mags work better.

I've had pretty good look with the old Colt 20 rounders holding 16 or so rounds.  
I've tried putting the black followers in the 30 rounders but only get 16 or 17 rounds so I'd rather just use the Colt 20 rounders.

To those that say just buy an AK, I'm using mine with a RDIAS (Registered Drop In Auto Sear).  So I'm interested in this for full auto capability.

So far, my upper is working great in full auto.  Only problem is the low capacity of the mags.  I also have the MGI modular lower so I may get their AK74 mag well when they come out with it so I can use unmodified AK74 mags.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how much tweaking would be needed to use an Ares piston drop-in kit?

Some guy on here had posted a pic on another 5.45 AR thread of a 5.45 upper on an AR-47 lower (modified for 5.45 mags). It looked cool as hell! I mean REALLY cool.

ETA---search on "5.45" in the AR community and the pics are in this thread:

"Why aren't there more 5.45x39mm uppers and AR47 lowers being produced/on the market?"
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wonder how much tweaking would be needed to use an Ares piston drop-in kit?

That's exactly what I wanted to do but for whatever reason, my Ares carrier wouldn't let bolt go into battery in my setup.
So I tried it with DI and it works so I'll probably just leave it that way.

The bolt I'm using now is an opened up Colt bolt and the carrier is by colt also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd be interested in an upper. We all know that as soon as it starts getting popular though the price of 5.45 will start shooting up too. Bastards!  Oh well, at least it will be fairly cheap to shoot for awhile....
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Good thing nobody else knows about this.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Custom "high reliability" reamer being made
Custom metal treatment to address corrosiveness concerns already discussed
ARES piston in hand to test as well
Currently 8 barrels on shelf awaiting new reamer (need to clean up chamber with new profile)
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Custom "high reliability" reamer being made
Custom metal treatment to address corrosiveness concerns already discussed
ARES piston in hand to test as well
Currently 8 barrels on shelf awaiting new reamer (need to clean up chamber with new profile)

If the setups for the 8 bbls you have now aren't spoken for please shoot me an IM
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top