BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What about the Brit Radway Green from AIM?  Any good or not?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
UPDATE: THE ARCHIVE SERVER IS UP!

I was able to go through a lot of the archived posts, gather the relevant information, and post a condensed version in the "replacement" posts. I'll still have to manually account for the poll numbers, but that's OK. The only thread I will not resurrect is the Wolf with the lacquer coating. It's not on the market anymore, so it really doesn't make any sense to post about that again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently picked up a case of Q3131 made in 94 in the USA.  Haven't shot it yet.  How's it stack up against the new stuff?
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Who sells XM855 thats not the PD version?  I only see PD on the AR15 price guide. and want something that reliable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was given a box of 50 rounds last week.  The box is plain brown cardboard, with little or no printing on it.  I don't have it here to give details, but the headstamps  are CJ or JC 93.  Does anyone know what ammo this is?

I just looked up "CJ" headstamp a few minutes ago (I found a bag of them in my ammo box) and it is Norinco. Mine is CJ 92.
Anybody know if it is any good?
Also what about Armscor or Squires Bingham? Is the Filipino ammo any good?
I have probably about 100-200 rds of each.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
re: ammo with box marked '20 butir'

This is Portugese. I bought some in the early 90s. It shot well -- a little more powder fouling than with WW or IMI, but reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Oops posted my Silver Bear review in the wrong thread.  I'll repost there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1500 rounds of Silver Bear 62grn HP

Armalite M15A4 Carbine

1 case rim torn off by extractor, only malf. I have ever had with it, and all this for $120 per 1000

I had the same experience at the range a few hours ago.  Firing Silver Bear 55gr HPs....had fired about 60-70 rounds when I got a FTE and the rifle tried to feed another round.  Got the rifle home and tapped out the empty cartridge case -- case rim torn off by the extractor.had
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys - please don't post your personal reviews in this thread directly - Click on the link of the relevant ammo and add your review there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I could not post into the Silver Bear thread. The system just put me back into the base "Ammunition" thread.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I could not post into the Silver Bear thread. The system just put me back into the base "Ammunition" thread.

Same with me, when I click the link to Reminigton UMC it just takes me back to the Ammunition page.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#12]
CRAP! That means those threads have been archived.

Sorry guys - I usually try to bump them to the top of the page to prevent that from happening. I'll try to fix that by Wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Bad news: A BUNCH of review threads got trashed in the archive, so I had to manually recreate a lot of the data that was in those posts. Sorry for all the new threads I had to start...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Also used the American Eagle ammo in my 30 carbine, no problems and prices are good..
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, what do you guys think about the Black Hills ammo, Blue box and red box?  I love their pistol ammo, just curious about the 223 stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
avoid center fire systems wolf 223, its the old shitty laquer crap, not the good polymer stuff. grrr, i just got 2000 rounds of it today and was NOT happy at all to find out that its old stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#17]
ALL of the Military markmanship programs use Black Hills.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
My buddy and I went shooting yesterday and we both have DPMS AR-15s....

So here is an FYI on some ammo and mags. I am posting as an FYI as we used this sight to determine what ammo and mags to buy and shoot. Take it for what it's worth as this was not scientific but thought the info would help.

We shot about 1100  rounds of various .223 ammo we had bought over the past 2 months.  

1) The guns had never been fired before
2) The weather was cool and 60 degrees
3) We shot 25 yards, 100 yards, and just for the hell of it yardage.
4) It was fun
5) Ammunition was loaded into mags the night before
6) Used a mag/stripper clip loader from cheaper than dirt and it worked great, saved time and kept thumbs from hurting.
7) All rounds fired.  There was never a misfire or a round that failed to ignite.
8) The only rounds that did not fire were ones that were purposely discarded due to clearing a shell or the next round in a magazine when clearing the rifle due to a shell not ejecting properly.  (These were all RAdway and green issues)

Below is our findings:

AMMO GUN A:

100 rounds of federal xm855 in cardboard boxes
500 rounds radway green from aim on stripper clips
20 rounds of hot shot bosnian ammo

The federal had a little more kick than all the others we shot.  Very accurate at 25 and 100 yards.  
The radway green would jam every first or second shot out of every mag. It was accurate also but frustrating because of the jamming.
The hot shot was accurate and seemed to have the same kick as the federal.

MAGS GUN A:

Gun A used 4 Orlite clips, 2 DPMS provided mag and 1 aluminum mag from Cheaper than dirt and 3 Taiwan imported aluminum mag.

Orlites --performed flawlessly and it helps that they have a raised mold mark halfway down the clip that goes around the clip so you know the mag is in.
The DPMS clips --worked fine too.
The aluminum Cheaper than dirt clips-- were ok.  
The Taiwan clips-1 was defective as it did not feed properly but the others worked fine.

Gun A's mags were all loaded with 30 rounds each at start of day.  6-7 of the clips jammed when using the radway and green ammunition. I then loaded 25 rounds into a few clips, this helped a little, but the radway still jammed.

CLEANING AND OVERALL FINDINGS GUN A:

When I cleaned the gun it was cleaner than Gun B which shot Wolf and Silver Bear.
It might take time to break the gun and mags in but I'll stay with Orlite clips and Federal Ammo.  I beleive the charge in the radway may not be enough to throw the bolt back so the shell can be extracted.

AMMO GUN B:

100 rounds of federal xm855
200 rounds of Silver Bear Zinc casing from Cheaper than dirt
200 rounds of Wolf steel casing from cheaper than dirt
30 rounds Radway and green
20 rounds of hot shot bosnian ammo

The federal had a little more kick than all the others we shot.  Very accurate at 25 and 100 yards.  
The radway green  jammed every first shot.
The hot shot was accurate and seemed to have the same kick as the federal.
Silver Bear worked fine with no jams. Not as accurate as Wolf.
Wolf worked fine and was almost as accurate as the federal.  No jams. For the cost, this is his choice of ammunition.

MAGS GUN B:

Gun B used 6 Orlite mags, 2 DPMS provided mags and 2 Taiwan imported aluminum mags.

Orlites --performed flawlessly and it helps that they have a raised mold mark halfway down the clip that goes around the clip so you know the clip is in.
The DPMS clips --worked fine too.
The Taiwan clips were fine.

Gun B's mags were loaded with only 25 rounds each and only jammed with radway and green.

CLEANING AND OVERALL FINDINGS GUN B:

The gun was far dirtier than GUN A.  We speculate that the wolf and silver bear were dirtier.  Can't pinpoint which one because they were both shot equally. My buddy says he will always load clips with 25 as he had no jamming problems.  He says he will use wolf because of the cost, then Silver bear, hot shot, the federal and definitely no radway.

FINAL WORDS:

If cost was not a factor, the ammunition we would chose would be:
1) federal-very accurate and clean.  
2) hot shot-very accurate and clean. Just as good as federal but is kept out of first place due to only 40 rounds were shot.
3) wolf-dirty but good for plinking
4) silver bear-dirty but good for plinking
5) radway and green-very dissapointing and will not use again.  Too many jams.

Magazines
1) Orlites--We both agreed that we will only buy Orlites from now on.
2) DPMS
3) Cheaper than dirt aluminum
4) Taiwan

We both beleive that the AR-15 is a delicate rifle.  If you want to keep her for a long time use the best or at least watch and research what you put in her.  The AR is not like an ak or nagant that you can drop in mud, don't clean for a month, use all types of ammo or use as a tent pole in a pinch. It's a rifle that will let you know what's right.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth and hope the info is useful to some shooters.

ENJOY!

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm starting to see the following ammo for sale quite a bit.  Could we add some new catagories?

-Natec polymer cased  55/69gr
-IMI SS109 and  std 55gr
-Prvi Partizan 55gr SP
-Ultramax

and last and least  

"American Ammunition" (worst ammo known to man, but cheap cheap CHEAP!  don't give in! 2 ft spread at 75 FEET!  in 4 seperate ARs)
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]
A bad day in ammo-review land, boys and girls. A bunch of threads got archived, which required resurrecting all the info from the archive server. Grrrrr.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#22]

I'd like to see Georgia Arms Canned Heat added to the table.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Please list BlackHills Ammo...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Please list BlackHills Ammo...

Zukhov,

Your efforts for the tacked threads are a great asset to the Ammo forum. It along with other sources have kept me from spending alot of money on problem ammo and has helped me stockpile nothing but quality ammo that I can count on when I need it most. Now enough of this asskissing and on with my request.

It would be nice to have threads started for Black Hills and Georgia Arms. Every other day there are requests for info about this ammo. It seems like a logical step, if you are not already overwhelmed with what you have going now.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Just want to add my thanks
This list is very helpful
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Good post
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Is Winchester ss109  accurate, reliable, and clean?
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Could we add Ultramax 55-grain FMJ .223 to the list for review?  It's cheap and easy to find (online and even locally if you have  Dick's Sporting Goods superstore near you).  Plus, I see a lot of "I love it" and "I'm afraid of it because Mickey Mouse had his AR kaboom because of it" posts, with nowhere to tie them all together and no master review thread for it.

There is very little first-hand info anywhere on it, a lot of 15th-hand "some guy's buddy's cousin told him that it is junk" comments, and it's only 20 cents/rd in my local Dick's Sporting Goods.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top