User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
an ARMS vs. LaRue debate always brings out the best of AR15.com..

What's even more amazing is the number of arfcom safe queens that have experienced ARMS failures. It's more about fashion than function for most of these folks. Let's face it, the QRP was good enough kit for the US military. I'd say LT improved the breed in some aspects, but that doesn't mean ARMS isn't quite acceptable for any use on the sport utility rifle.

Good enough doesn't mean best though. And after ARMS showing today, I know they won't get any more business from me.

Plus, you admit that the LT gear is better, so why do you just say it's fashion?
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
So far, in this thread alone...

ARMS has been owned by...

1) Mark Larue
2) Jeff of Tango Down
3) Pat Rogers
4) Wes
5) The Colonel himself...Coldblue

If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does.  That completely made my night.  

Theres a reason that all of my working rifles have Larue mounts and Tango Down VFG's and battle grips.  Now if only I could complete the trifecta by using them at a Pat Rogers class...

Link Posted: 6/15/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am shocked i tell you, shocked...........

Holy fucking hand grenades Batman!!! Pat Rogers posting on AR15.com?

I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket.

Clint

Dude, this is just too good.

Many thanks to Mark LaRue for his great products and customer service.  I've sold all my A.S.S.S. mounts and replaced them with real hard use gear.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
an ARMS vs. LaRue debate always brings out the best of AR15.com..

What's even more amazing is the number of arfcom safe queens that have experienced ARMS failures. It's more about fashion than function for most of these folks. Let's face it, the QRP was good enough kit for the US military. I'd say LT improved the breed in some aspects, but that doesn't mean ARMS isn't quite acceptable for any use on the sport utility rifle.

Yeah ipschoser, your right, ARMS has now been relegated to "sport-only" status.  Make sense. Good call.  

Well, even if that weren't a BS statement, it would mean ARMS is suitable for 99.9% of arfcommers. I use mine for competition, hunting and plinking. That's tough use compared to sitting in a gunsafe. I guess the fact that ARMS is proven in combat is just icing on the cake.

BTW, what other fashions are you into?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, even if that weren't a BS statement, it would mean ARMS is suitable for 99.9% of arfcommers. I use mine for competition, hunting and plinking. That's tough use compared to sitting in a gunsafe. I guess the fact that ARMS is proven in combat is just icing on the cake.

BTW, what other fashions are you into?

I know one fashion he's not into: trolling. . . .

Speaking of trolls, where's techfacts?  Still smarting, probably, from the multiple "hard" mounts he received in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had no problems with my ARMS#22M68.  It has spent all of its life on a BFI upper, and is as snug as the day I bought it.  I like that little flap where the throw wheel contacts the receiver; it probably helps spread out the pressure a bit and doesn't scuff up the upper like other throw lever mounts.  I like the simplicity, but if something didn't fit right I would probably like some more complexity.h.gif

That being said, I recently bought my first LT mount, and I appreciate the quality of the machining and the attention to detail.  I have wondered if riding on rough roads would loosen up the screws, but have not had it long enough to know for sure.  Even if that was a problem, a little loc-tite is an easy fix.  Just like the ARMS#40 requires.

I'm sorry, but I do not have anything bad to say about either company's products.hock.gif

glock24:  I'd view that play as unacceptable.  It does not take much movement to effect zero.  I'd try the mount on a few different receivers, and if it looks like the mount is the problem I'd send it to Brian immediately.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have had no problems with my ARMS#22M68.  It has spent all of its life on a BFI upper, and is as snug as the day I bought it.  I like that little flap where the throw wheel contacts the receiver; it probably helps spread out the pressure a bit and doesn't scuff up the upper like other throw lever mounts.  I like the simplicity, but if something didn't fit right I would probably like some more complexity.

That being said, I recently bought my first LT mount, and I appreciate the quality of the machining and the attention to detail.  I have wondered if riding on rough roads would loosen up the screws, but have not had it long enough to know for sure.  Even if that was a problem, a little loc-tite is an easy fix.  Just like the ARMS#40 requires.

I'm sorry, but I do not have anything bad to say about either company's products.

glock24:  I'd view that play as unacceptable.  It does not take much movement to effect zero.  I'd try the mount on a few different receivers, and if it looks like the mount is the problem I'd send it to Brian immediately.

Thanks for a common sense accessment. Both product lines are good gear.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Common sense? I had a #22M68 STRIP out on me which is a KNOWN issue. I had a pair of #22M rings BREAK (the lever) on a M1A (too much recoil??). My buddy had the same thing happen on his .308 PSS.  ...those are the facts as far as I'm concerned. I still have a set of #22M rings on my SPR (which is a 5.56) and I'm not too worried about that due to the low recoil. I also have a ARMS SPR-PEQ rail on my SPR and a #40L rear sight.

If Larue would come out with a set of seperate 30mm scope rings or a Medium SPR mount, I'd switch in a minute. I've had NO problems with my LaRue products and I use them...no safe queen shit.

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Common sense? I had a #22M68 STRIP out on me which is a KNOWN issue. I had a pair of #22M rings BREAK (the lever) on a M1A (too much recoil??). My buddy had the same thing happen on his .308 PSS.  ...those are the facts as far as I'm concerned. I still have a set of #22M rings on my SPR (which is a 5.56) and I'm not too worried about that due to the low recoil. I also have a ARMS SPR-PEQ rail on my SPR and a #40L rear sight.

If Larue would come out with a set of seperate 30mm scope rings or a Medium SPR mount, I'd switch in a minute. I've had NO problems with my LaRue products and I use them...no safe queen shit.

Well, I guess your experience is just contrary to my own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#11]

All mounts want to move forward in firing, they don't go backwards, or back and forth.

I'm curious about this statement. Can anyone confirm or repudiate?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

All mounts want to move forward in firing, they don't go backwards, or back and forth.

I'm curious about this statement. Can anyone confirm or repudiate?

To my knowledge, that's a true statement.

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps that is why it is recommended to push your chosen mount forward when you tighten the throw-lever or screws...
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Where is 3rdtk when you need him?

I've used ARMS products for years.  The 22M68 and 19S have served me well on the range, although I had one that was near impossible to close on a Colt upper.  But I like the Larue adjustable feature as well as the ring design, so I've been migrating my mounts as cash permits.  I am still a big fan of #40 series of BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am still a big fan of #40 series of BUIS.

So am I.  I do like the #40 series.  When it comes to optics mounts, LaRue is clearly the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread is priceless.

I have one ARMS product, on my pentagon light set up and more recently a LaRue product, a rear BUIS. The two systems are worlds apart.  Now that I have experienced LaRue, there is no way I would choose ARMS.  Just waiting for Mark to come up with a flip up because I am sure it would beat my Troys.

Seydou
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I like them both and will continue to buy both.  My 19S mount is loose on all of my uppers, I replaced it with a 19LD with two levers, it sits lower and closer to the rear, I'm happy with that.  
Once I forgot which rails my scope was mounted on, this was on a Remy 700, I had to rezero because I mounted it one rail space back.  I'm not sure if the slight longitudinal movement would affect my 19S mount, I had taken it to many classes and never had to rezero, long before I realized it was loose, I still don't want it to move though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, this could be the best thread on ar15.com in a very long time.  

Let me just say, In Before The Lawsuit, because some guys get their business by intimidation and lawsuits rather than integrity and competition. . . .
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah, no surprise, but about time ARMS 'management' was outed. I can't count all the fake personnas
that have been used over the last few years to bash reputable mfg's. and spread disinformation.

I think this puts the ARMS credibility issue to rest for all time. And yes, Mark LaRue makes the finest mounts you can buy. Period.

I respect the proper heads-up to everyone. Thanks, Aimless.

Jeff Cahill
TangoDown LLC

Wow!
It took a couple of years to figure out 3dtk was actualy dick, but only one day to figure who his new protege Brian was.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, this could be the best thread on ar15.com in a very long time.  

Let me just say, In Before The Lawsuit, because some guys get their business by intimidation and lawsuits rather than integrity and competition. . . .

Funny you say that,  because it is rumored that a certain mount maker, with a reputation for suing, may have already sued Smith&Wesson over S&W's using Troy handguards on their new line of black rifles.

Hehehe, anybody got an accurite account of all the lawsuits filed by A.R.M.S.?

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 24, the originator of this thread. is in my class this week.I replaced his made as a soft mount with a Larue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I use both. I like some of the ARMS products because of how they were designed but I dislike how they use MIM in the levers and no adjustability.

However, I hate cheerleaders with a passion, and one side certain has more than its fair share of blind cheerleaders.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Glock 24, the originator of this thread. is in my class this week.I replaced his made as a soft mount with a Larue.

Pat!  Wish I were there training with you.  Glock 24 must have been thrilled to get some reliable gear for the blaster.

Oh, and about "Soft mount", isn't that a synonym for limp dick?  Or is it whiskey dick? with a lot of cigarettes and attitude. . .
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I use both. I like some of the ARMS products because of how they were designed but I dislike how they use MIM in the levers and no adjustability.

However, I hate cheerleaders with a passion, and one side certain has more than its fair share of blind cheerleaders.

Speaking of cheerleaders, black meet kettle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who do I cheerlead for, Boom?

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Four pages to say, LaRue is better, but if you have an ARMS don't rush out and replace it unless it fails.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't rehash the last three years or waste the banwith. You win.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I thought.

Did you ever figure out who I was? I thought you were going to expose me?

Ian
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I thought.

Did you ever figure out who I was? I thought you were going to expose me?

Ian

Ian I decided that you were not worth the time and effort. Sorry to upset you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... NOT WHAT I WOULD CALL A NORMAL EMOTIONAL REPSONSE TO A DISCUSSION OF GUN PARTS.

IF OUR ENTHUSIASM UPSETS YOU SO BADLY, IT IS PROBABLY WISE FOR YOU TO AVOID DISCUSSIONS OF LARUE PRODUCTS. ADD NOVESKE PRODUCTS TO THAT LIST.

BTW, BLIND WE ARE NOT, NOR ARE WE ONE TINY BIT IMPRESSED WITH YOUR RHETORIC.

WES

Do you really want to discuss LaRue vs. Arms parts? Pro's and cons?

I have no problem doing so but I have a feeling you, Grant, Boom, and a bunch of others will get all hurt and start pouting.

There really are ups and downs to both LaRue and ARMS. Both have compromises in design (probably due to patents). LaRue really shines in execution and CS but has a couple of draw backs. ARMS uses sub-par materials and its PR is atrocious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... NOT WHAT I WOULD CALL A NORMAL EMOTIONAL REPSONSE TO A DISCUSSION OF GUN PARTS.

IF OUR ENTHUSIASM UPSETS YOU SO BADLY, IT IS PROBABLY WISE FOR YOU TO AVOID DISCUSSIONS OF LARUE PRODUCTS. ADD NOVESKE PRODUCTS TO THAT LIST.

WES

I have no problem doing so but I have a feeling you, Grant, Boom, and a bunch of others will get all hurt and start pouting.

There really are ups and downs to both LaRue and ARMS. Both have compromises in design (probably due to patents). LaRue really shines in execution and CS but has a couple of draw backs. ARMS uses sub-par materials and its PR is atrocious.

Please share your LaRue short comings. If they are I am positive that Mark LaRue will be happy to change his designs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WES

Please share your LaRue short comings. If they are I am positive that Mark LaRue will be happy to change his designs.

Steel on aluminum interface. Lets discuss that. Which will wear faster, the aluminum or the steel?

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WES

LET ME EXPLAIN MY THOUGHTS REGARDING YOU AND YOUR OPINIONS.

YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIBILITY. THEREFORE, WHAT YOU THINK HAS NO REAL SIGNIFICANCE.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Well there you go, a nice ad homonym attack. So much for a friendly discourse.

Should I post pictures where the LaRue mount removed the finish and made a noticeable dent in the aluminum where it contacted the rail? Mind you, I'm not an ARMS fan but I have no real problem showing the short comings of my equipment. Like I said, LaRue makes a good product but it is not perfect.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#39]
That the LaRue mounts mar the finish isn't news,  to me it's slightly better than having to fiddle with the ARMS pad.

I do have a tiny, probably unfounded concern about the finish being taking off, once the anodizing goes away, does continous back and forth movement start eating away at the rails?  My mounts usually stay on the weapons and don't come off, but say if one is to throw the lever forward and back a thousand times...
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Are the Larue mount levers supposed to feel constant tightness when you snug them down?

My levers are hard to close, hard to close, then when almost to the closed position need almost no pressure to close them the rest (1/4) of the way. I know they are adjusted tight enough because I can barely get them off -
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#41]
What's the point in soft mounting if it don't get the job done

Anyone wanna bet that Techfacts is either:

A: Feeding the hogs (not such an inside joke anymore)...
B: Rolling around in all of his 3rd TK crap and STILL laughing about that picture in his wallet.
C: Attempting to sue every single person that's posted in this thread.

I'd guess the answer would be "D"... All of the above

Darn, did I just type that???

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 3:07:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That the LaRue mounts mar the finish isn't news,  to me it's slightly better than having to fiddle with the ARMS pad.
home.earthlink.net/~whitman/marks.JPG

I do have a tiny, probably unfounded concern about the finish being taking off, once the anodizing goes away, does continous back and forth movement start eating away at the rails?  My mounts usually stay on the weapons and don't come off, but say if one is to throw the lever forward and back a thousand times...

Yeah, I've seen the same with my Larue mounts and those owned by others. I was initially very concerned about this, since after about a dozen mountings to the same receiver slots the throw lever tension had loosened noticeably. I had to re-adjust the levers to get a solid feel. However, after that one adjustment, everything has been 100% for over a year now. I can't even count how many times I've mounted and dismounted the optics since then, but I dare say it's somewhere between one and two hundred. I dismount the optics for transport and cleaning of the rifle, that's a minimum of one mounting and dismounting per range trip.

The optics will not move back to forth on the rail. The recoil will push the optics forward against the rail slots, and that's it. When I mount optics, I make sure to push it forward against the rail slots. This way there will be no movement and the optics retain zero extremely well.

To stay on topic, I also have an ARMS #22M68 and it has served me well over the past two years. It has front to back movement, but it does hold zero.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I see faint finish wear on the upper where the cam meets the rail.  No concern at all.  My criteriaa for tightening is to tighten only enough so the mount does not shift on the rail. Some of the levers seem tough to close and open but the wear on the rail is the same as the ones that do not require as much force.

The only rail I ever gouged was on a Steyr picatinney rail for an AUG.  The ARMS 22M68 could not close at all.  The adjustment screw for the cam on the Larue mount was backed out to the point where the threads sunk below the nut.  There were gouges on my rail now.  At this point I determined something was way wrong with the rail and went back to using the Trijicon TA-51 mount at that can tolerate out of spec rails.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#44]
This is the way I look at the ARMS Vs Larue debate:

The ARMS mounts are like a Honda.
The Larus Mounts are like a BMW.
Nothing wrong with a Honda, but if you can afford a BMW, get the BMW.

If the Larue products were a little bit less expensive, they would dominate.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If the Larue products were a little bit less expensive, they would dominate.  IMHO.

paulosantos,

We're doing our damndest to price-compete against you-know-who...but our stuff is CNC hogged-out of solid billet ...ala Jesse James.    The joke here is - "We're doing aerospace quality for blacksmith pricing...and so you should drink cheap beer to make up the difference".

No fooling, we do appreciate everyone's feedback from this site - and I do mean everyone ian187.   :-)

Mark LaRue

Mark glad to see your posting. You know I have been trying for two years to break your stuff. Very happy to say that I have been unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
home.earthlink.net/~whitman/marks.JPG

In my experience, rails/receivers that get show wear from a LT lever do not have a class III HA finish (which the Military requires). BT is not known for producing rails have a class III HA finish so it comes as no surprise that the LT lever left a mark on them. To my knowledge, only a couple companies spend the extra money to properly anodize their receivers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

paulosantos,

We're doing our damndest to price-compete against you-know-who...but our stuff is CNC hogged-out of solid billet ...ala Jesse James.    The joke here is - "We're doing aerospace quality for blacksmith pricing...and so you should drink cheap beer to make up the difference".

No fooling, we do appreciate everyone's feedback from this site - and I do mean everyone ian187.   :-)

Mark LaRue

Mark,

I appreciate that. I've never said you made a bad product, this type of debate just seams to get really heated up. You guys do an outstanding job and I have never received a LaRue product that didn't do what it was designed to do.

Here is my opinion (just my opinion and nothing more), I think there should be some type of mechanism to separate the steel on aluminum interface. That is my only source of contention.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Mark,

I appreciate that. I've never said you made a bad product, this type of debate just seams to get really heated up. You guys do an outstanding job and I have never received a LaRue product that didn't do what it was designed to do.

Here is my opinion (just my opinion and nothing more), I think there should be some type of mechanism to separate the steel on aluminum interface. That is my only source of contention.

Holy Mother of GOD. Did I just read that correctly??????????

That's it the world is coming to an end.

Glad to see you switching over to the darkside Ian.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top