User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The one battle pack that was opened (and one box out of that battlepack only) was the "dirtiest".  Just tarnished and dull.  No corrosion though.  I opened a few boxes out of each of the other three and it looks very good.  Almost as good as my "grade a" stuff.  I'm satisfied!

Lote 11/88
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
opened mine when I got home last night.  Not much worse then the case I got a couple a weeks ago.  A little dirty, but in the 3 boxes I opened from the pack that AIM opened no corrosion and very little tarnish.  Just not bright and shinny.  Nothing a few minutes in a tumbler won't cure.  I was very happy!
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going broke from finding this site.

But I'm ready for the zombie hordes!
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
After getting 2880 rounds of Radway from Aimsurplus I ordered 3 battle packs of Aim's Grade 2 Guat. and recieved them on July 31st. All 3 had been opened I guess for inspection. The 1990 had some red color tarnishing. I shot about 200 rounds and all went bang. The 1995 Lot 1 looks nice and shinney. I havn't shot any of the 1995 but hope to tomorrow along with order some more while it's still around.
I've never had a problem with Aim or anything they sell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine showed up yesterday and I went through it last night.  I didn't get lucky, I paid for grade 2 and got grade 2.  I thought some of the grade one looked bad but this stuff was nasty.  

case 1:   Lote 13/93 = the worst case I have saw yet, dirty - tarnished and rusty primers anywhere the sealant wasn't visable.

case 2:  Lote 3/90 = better than #1 but looks like everyone elses white tarnish spots.

I got what I paid for and am not upset. I was just rolling the dice and hopeing to get lucky with some nice packs that didn't get opened.  Both battle packs on top had been opened but the bottom row didn't even come in plastic (just brown boxes lined up).
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Both battle packs on top had been opened but the bottom row didn't even come in plastic (just brown boxes lined up).

I hope that's not a sign they are almost out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both battle packs on top had been opened but the bottom row didn't even come in plastic (just brown boxes lined up).

I hope that's not a sign they are almost out.

My guess is that they are down to the bottom of the barrel.  It's  down to the worst of the bad and then it's all gone.  I know it's cheap but I think I'd go another route now be it  a: pay more for grade 1 elsewhere or b: radway.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Crap.  I paid for mine 2 days ago and they still haven't sent me a shipping notice.  With my luck I'll have blow $230 on a a mess of rusted shit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mine showed up yesterday and I went through it last night.  I didn't get lucky, I paid for grade 2 and got grade 2.  I thought some of the grade one looked bad but this stuff was nasty.  

case 1:   Lote 13/93 = the worst case I have saw yet, dirty - tarnished and rusty primers anywhere the sealant wasn't visable.

case 2:  Lote 3/90 = better than #1 but looks like everyone elses white tarnish spots.

I got what I paid for and am not upset. I was just rolling the dice and hopeing to get lucky with some nice packs that didn't get opened.  Both battle packs on top had been opened but the bottom row didn't even come in plastic (just brown boxes lined up).

Plowboy, when did you placed your order?
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered aug. 5, shipped aug. 6, arrived aug. 9

ETA:  After reading all the reviews by guys getting clean ammo I ordered another on aug. 7th and have NOT recieved a shipping email either.  I got one the day after ordering the last one.  We may not even get "CRAP" but I wouldn't consider that a big loss.

ETA again: I'm not afraid to shoot it but I haven't taken time to go shoot any with the corroded rusty primers yet. That is my biggest question since I have light springs in all my AR's.  I would say if your after something to go blast with the price is worth the chance of getting one nice pack with three bad ones.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I ordered aug. 5, shipped aug. 6, arrived aug. 9

ETA:  After reading all the reviews by guys getting clean ammo I ordered another on aug. 7th and have NOT recieved a shipping email either.  I got one the day after ordering the last one.  We may not even get "CRAP" but I wouldn't consider that a big loss.

Yeah, I was suprised when my order did not process in 24 hours.  At this point I am almost tempted to cancel the Gaut and re-order 1500 rounds of WOlf .223 as at least I know that stuff is new production and will run fine (if a little dirty and underpowered) in my guns.  

[ETA]  Plowboy, do you feel the stuff you got is shootable?
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Got 1440 on order. The guys and gals at AIM are my heroes.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We do not save the worst for last. We just pull it as we go. It is pretty random, some is just nicer than some.

We still have a decent supply, though we are moving through it quickly.

I have personally shot some stuff we would not even ship out as grade 2 with zero problems. Kinda stinky though.

Erik,

Great to know, and thanks for posting on this thread!  

I have always had great luck with my orders from you guys, so I figured you would not ship anything that was truly unshootable.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We do not save the worst for last. We just pull it as we go. It is pretty random, some is just nicer than some.

We still have a decent supply, though we are moving through it quickly.

I have personally shot some stuff we would not even ship out as grade 2 with zero problems. Kinda stinky though.

Thanks for the post!!  I was a little concerned because I plan on getting a little more of this stuff.  

1 request - WE NEED SOME 9MM SUBSONIC!!!  

Ok, I'm done...
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered mine two days ago.

I just got off the phone and the nice lady told me it was shipping today.  Should be here on Tuesday!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#19]
After checking 3 of my 4 crates, I decided to go ahead and open up #4. It's 3/92, and was bought in the first bunch. I'm happy to report that I found 1440 perfect looking rounds.  I almost wish I'd left it in the battle packs, but the not knowing would have killed me eventually.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#20]
My shipping notice was sent today..

This will be 4 crates for me..

I look forward to the next ones!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Just ordered two cases, but shipping is a beach to here, $39 a case.
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Uh oh, something seems to have gone kittywhampus with the last post in this thread...anyone else seeing a HUGE blank post above this one?
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Uh oh, something seems to have gone kittywhampus with the last post in this thread...anyone else seeing a HUGE blank post above this one?

Nope?
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine today -- Looks GREAT!

A little off-colored, but two of the packs still had a vacuum seal -- I probably won't open them for a while.

Thanks AIM!

Rob

Link Posted: 8/11/2006 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my case today also, one pack was camo and the other three were olive drab.  Camo pack was opened and the ammo looked great!  I opened the two worst-looking olive drab packs and the ammo in them looked even better!  I didn't open the last pack.  I'm HAPPY!!  Thanks AIM!  ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up 2 cases of 1440 rdns this morning... dated 84.   The pack they split open had some slight corrosion on the brass but nothing I thought that was any big deal.   I haven't opened the other one yet, but I'll probably empty them into cans tomorrow so I'll update then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]
DARN YOU!!!!  Vile and despicable creatures!!!!! THanks to you, I just spent 902 on 4 cases of this stuff.....................

My wife is SSSOOOOOO gonna kill me!!

Doc
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
DARN YOU!!!!  Vile and despicable creatures!!!!! THanks to you, I just spent 902 on 4 cases of this stuff.....................

My wife is SSSOOOOOO gonna kill me!!

Doc

Dibs on the four cases.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I ordered only one case on friday..... hope its good!
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My case arrived today

2 battle packs were slit and one box from each had been opened

Some of the bullets are a little discolored

But the brass is nice and shiny

Can't wait to shoot some
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My case arrived today

2 battle packs were slit and one box from each had been opened

Some of the bullets are a little discolored

But the brass is nice and shiny

Can't wait to shoot some

+1 to your description...just got mine, other than some of the bullets being BLUE(?!) everything looks in good condition.

All my packs were March 25th, 1989 "Lot 2" production in the camo battlepacks.  Might just order another case!

Link Posted: 8/14/2006 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Received my 2 crates!!
Barely looked at them,but the "green" BPs and appear to be a bit more shiny,but have more "discoloration".. 91 and 97?

I am sure they are fine for the AR...

Now-should I order another??

Link Posted: 8/14/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Received my 2 crates!!
Barely looked at them,but the "green" BPs and appear to be a bit more shiny,but have more "discoloration".. 91 and 97?

I am sure they are fine for the AR...

Now-should I order another??

NOPE!!  You should order 2 or 3!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 2:02:56 AM EDT
[#34]
My case is Lot 1, '89.  

The bullets have a blue/green tinge, and the headstamp shows tarnish.  A few headstamps show the beginnings of corrosion on them.  The main body of the shell casing is still clean brass.  This strikes me as odd.

I selected several rounds of the worst looking ammo and cleaned them with Brasso.  I will use a case tumbler on the rest of this stuff to make the cleaning a quick process.

If I had to, it could be shot as is.  I plan to shoot some later this week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Why would you guys clean/tumble this ammo when it doesn't affect function?

Just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

I'm not worried about tarnish, but two of my cases the ammo was actually dirty - kind of like a film of dust or maybe even soot. That's not the best thing for a chamber, IMHO. The piece of mind is worth the effort to me.  The other two cases need no cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Range Report--

After shooting about 300 of M855 I ran some of the guat straight from the box through my Bushy M4gery --  The guat appeared to be in good shape, no obvious corrosion -- just a little discolored.

Jam-o-matic -- three rounds, jam -- three rounds, jam -- with the second requiring a cleaning rod and brass hammer to tap it out of the chamber.  

I'll be running mine through the tumbler --- even after the authority at the range looked at me in shock at the mere mention of it -- "It will change the chemical composition of the powder"!  hour
BTW, it was '93, lot 1 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Why would you guys clean/tumble this ammo when it doesn't affect function?

Just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

The case of grade 2 that I got last week certainly would have affected function if I would have ran the whole case through as is.  I didn't have my camera handy before I started tumbleing, I should have taken some photos I guess.  It was nasty, there was serious corosion around the headstamp and primer.  Since I already have a tumbler I feel it is a no brainer to clean it up a little bit before running it through my AR's.  If 30 min. in a tumbler will make it look considerabley better why not? And if it comes off that easy in a tumbler why should I not think that some will come off in my mags and in my gun? It's worth cleaning first in my opinion but maybe mine was just a lot worse looking than yours was.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'll be running mine through the tumbler --- even after the authority at the range looked at me in shock at the mere mention of it -- "It will change the chemical composition of the powder"!    

Yep, typical range "authority".
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Would you recommend the Guat or the RG from AIM? Thinking of making a purchase soon. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I'll be running mine through the tumbler --- even after the authority at the range looked at me in shock at the mere mention of it -- "It will change the chemical composition of the powder"!  hority".

He was also in shock that I was running Wolf through the Bushy --- moly coated, not lacquer ---

Rob
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Would you recommend the Guat or the RG from AIM? Thinking of making a purchase soon. Thanks

I think the RG is better, but it's more expensive and it's SS109 (in case your range prohibits steel core ammo). The RG is in perfect condition, unlike the Guat. I have a bunch of both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The case of grade 2 that I got last week certainly would have affected function if I would have ran the whole case through as is.

How do you know?

It's worth cleaning first in my opinion but maybe mine was just a lot worse looking than yours was.

I tested tumbling mine just to see - and it didnt clean up all that much.  I have ZERO plans to clean any of mine.

Falarak,  Just because I don't have 15,000 posts on an internet board doesn't make me an idiot.  My only mistake is not takeing pictures of two of my grade 2 battlepacks that where bad. I would estimate half of those two bp's had crud (looked like a rusted out old Ford) all around the headstamp and primer areas, that includes the extractor ring. I have never saw anything like this.  Do you not think that a primer corroded over and an extractor ring gunked up would not at some point cause problems?  And lets say it wouldn't affect function but some of that crap is going to break loose and be inside the firearm. I had spots, mild corrosion ect.. on my early stuff but this was something completely different.  As for the tumbleing,  I also tumbled some of the grade 1 stuff I got months ago in corncob media and didn't see any results.  On these I used walnut with Kit Scrath Out compound and it done an amazeing job cutting through the crud.  A buddy of mine stopped by while I was doing it and he couldn't believe the before and after difference.   I'm not trying to start a pissing match here but I don't think you should bash others for doing something or provideing their opinion here.  I could care less if you don't tumble your ammo, yours may not need it and it's yours to do with what you want.   ETA. My 6th case will be here in a few hours and this time if there are bad rounds pictures will be taken for clarity but hopefully it's nice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Mine is here!!!

...sitting at a friend's place waiting for me to pick it up...

dammit
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:

Very interesting!  You will be one of the first to report any issues.  The fact you ran 300 rounds previously tells me there is likely nothing at all wrong with your weapon.  I'd like to hear how your experiences are after tumbling.

Can you describe what your "jam" was?  Jam is something you put on toast.  hort

Sorry -- it was a FTExtract -- stuck in the chamber.  I also believe the weapon was ok -- after clearing the jams, I ran some wolf through it with no issues at all.

Rob

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the heads up!
$0.164 for .223 shipped is a bargain these days.

I ordered another case.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got thru opening one my crates I received yesterday..(97)
Smells very damp..Most every box has some degree of discoloration,some on the primer end-but not bad..

I would not feel bad about shooting this crate as is..

This being said-I believe I will tumble a few of the "uglier" ones to see what happens..I have never done so,and what the hey,might as well try it..

So walnut media and some kind of polish then?

I have another crate that by all appearances,looks to be similiar,anyone looking to buy some good surplus range ammo-can't go wrong IMO..
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top