AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is this thing made?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
so anybody have anything to say about the eye relief? parallax?

is it like hte aimpoints and eotechs where the point of impact does not shift, or does it shift like a normal riflescope
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One of the things I'm leary about is that its only 1x.  But I suppose using it at 50 yds. wouldn't need anymore magnification.  Right?

No offense, but 50 yds is really close.  I regularly shoot offhand at 200 to 300 yds with open sights and the 1X (no magnification) is exactly what I was looking for.  Last weekend I had the M4gery and the MP out and fired at an approx. 10" x 10" whitish rock embedded in the 200 yd berm, offhand, using the green reticle set at power 4.  I hit the rock 19/20 with the first magazine full of RG, and another shooter there who was interested in the MP was watching the hits through his 30X spotting scope confirmed the shots were hitting in the top 1/2 of the rock.  There were so many dust puffs that the rock looked as if on fire.  If I can do that with 53 yr old eyes, anyone can.

Quoted:

is it like hte aimpoints and eotechs where the point of impact does not shift, or does it shift like a normal riflescope

Eye relief is infinite, there is no magnification.  I can choke up on it or place my head at the buttplate, no matter.  If I understand your 2nd question correctly, once the reticle is aligned on target and the weapon held there, the reticle stays on target regardless of where you shift your head.

army_eod:  It's made in either Japan or Korea, I can't recall at the moment.

Noah
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
noah:
I forgot to mention that I only have a 50 yd. range.  

I'm seriously considering this because its appearing that the cost vs. quality ratio is very good.  The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the front sight- does it get in the way of the dot?  If so, what riser did you need?  1.2"?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
noah:
I forgot to mention that I only have a 50 yd. range.  

I'm seriously considering this because its appearing that the cost vs. quality ratio is very good.  The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the front sight- does it get in the way of the dot?  If so, what riser did you need?  1.2"?

Thanks.

I used YMH mini risers (1/4") on mine which is just enough to allow the rear lens cap to clear my ARMS 40L.  At that height the reticle sits just above the front sight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  Where did you get them?  Mind if I ask how much?

Also, someone I know said that with a 1x scope, you don't see the front sight- any truth to that?  If so, would I still need risers?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also, someone I know said that with a 1x scope, you don't see the front sight- any truth to that?  If so, would I still need risers?

Got the risers at Jensen's.  I'd have preferred an ARMS one piece 1/4" riser but the YMHs were all they had in stock when I stopped by.  I've had the opposite experience with scopes, the front sight is visible on 1X but dissappears at higher powers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Who sells the ARMS one-piece?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got the risers at Jensen's.  I'd have preferred an ARMS one piece 1/4" riser but the YMHs were all they had in stock when I stopped by.  I've had the opposite experience with scopes, the front sight is visible on 1X but dissappears at higher powers.

this is correct.

With a 1x you will see the FSB.  Hence the ability to cowitness with Eotechs, Aimpoints, etc.

the FSB usually "disappears" or appears to be a shadow with magnified optics.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking economy optic. It may not be ideal for combat use (or it may be, I dunno), but I am sure it will work well for a fun item. Not everyone needs a $800 optic on every rifle they own. I know I don't. You can only shoot one at a time anyway. If you want a combat weapon, build a combat weapon. If you want a fun gun, then build a fun gun. For a fun gun, one need not invest thousands of $$$ into it to get all you want from it. My Bushmaster 16" carbine with EO Tech is my serious purpose gun.  But I wouldn't mind having a couple of these at all to stick on my other guns.

I wonder how one of these would work mounted on a carry handle? I know flat-top mounting works better, but I have seen ACOG's used on carry handles before. For some of my older guns, this might be an option if it mounts at a similar height on the handle as an ACOG would.

BTW, I too wish they would have made them look just different enough from an ACOG as to avoid the appearance of being a "copy-cat". Now all of the high priced gear whores will be calling them "Airsoft ACOGs". LOL.

Oh, and has anyone found a way yet to co-witness this optic with a BUIS and fit it all up there on top?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who sells the ARMS one-piece?

eaglefirearms.com  for one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't find it on their website.  Any recomendations for risers?  What does it need to be over the front sight- 1/2" or 1/4"?

Damn, tough choice now- this or an EOTech!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Korea
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

China

I checked mine.  It says Korea.

Noah
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Korea...good.  China...bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I've handled one a few times but have yet to pick one up.  Please keep the opinions/range reports coming.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]
does anybody make a QD mount and a riser for it like ARMS 22M68 for Aimpoint?

--John
DFW,TX
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eye relief is infinite, there is no magnification.  I can choke up on it or place my head at the buttplate, no matter.  If I understand your 2nd question correctly, once the reticle is aligned on target and the weapon held there, the reticle stays on target regardless of where you shift your head.

army_eod:  It's made in either Japan or Korea, I can't recall at the moment.

Noah

thank you very much noah, thats exactly what i needed to know!
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine says made in Korea on the box and the base of the scope.  Just got it from a guy on another board for $125 shipped.  I thought that was a pretty good price to try it out.  He never mounted it and I don't have time to play with it this WE.  I think I'm gonna try it first on an optic only gun (no sights) and then get into the co-witness stuff later.

One other thing I noticed already.  No matter what power setting or color, I can see a shadow of the reticle just down and left of the reticle.  Barely noticeable, but there.  Anybody else had this prob.  Is it the scope or my eyes?  Never noticed this before with any other type of scope/dot optic.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
One other thing I noticed already.  No matter what power setting or color, I can see a shadow of the reticle just down and left of the reticle.  Barely noticeable, but there.  Anybody else had this prob.  Is it the scope or my eyes?  Never noticed this before with any other type of scope/dot optic.  

UPDATE - Went to a gunshow today and looked at one of these.  I saw no reticle shadow in it, no matter which color/power setting.  Looks like mine may be going back  - CRAP!

Just thought you guys might want to know about this potential issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]
BTW, I wonder if there is anyway one could mount these on a carry handle and get a decent fit? Though I am fully aware it isn't an ideal spot for an optic, I do have some older carry handle models that I need to do something with. I really like red dots. If this Bushnell will fit at least as well as a fullsize ACOG, I may end up picking up several of these to use on my older rifles and carbines. The reason I ask is that the mount looks like it was designed for flattops and that it might sit too high on a handle. If that turns out to be the case, I may just end up sticking a $165.00 Burris 1x35 3 MOA Speed Dot up there on those rifles and just use that. At least they look pretty small and would fit as low on the handle (which is already higher than ideal to start with) as possible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
BTW, I wonder if there is anyway one could mount these on a carry handle and get a decent fit? Though I am fully aware it isn't an ideal spot for an optic, I do have some older carry handle models that I need to do something with. I really like red dots. If this Bushnell will fit at least as well as a fullsize ACOG, I may end up picking up several of these to use on my older rifles and carbines. The reason I ask is that the mount looks like it was designed for flattops and that it might sit too high on a handle. If that turns out to be the case, I may just end up sticking a $165.00 Burris 1x35 3 MOA Speed Dot up there on those rifles and just use that. At least they look pretty small and would fit as low on the handle (which is already higher than ideal to start with) as possible.

I wouldn't even think about mounting this on top of a carry handle.  First it's quite large, long, and heavy.  Then, the intergral base is going to need to be mounted to another carry handle mount, which will make it very high indeed.

I'd go with one of the better Aimpoint clones if I were you.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Got the scope and it will not clear the front sight mounted on a flat top. Looks like I will need to buy a riser for it like this YHM picatinny risers.

Link Posted: 1/22/2007 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#25]

First let me tell you where I'm coming from. I'm an 'Optics Snob', all my rifles carry expensive high quality scopes. It's unlikely I would ever buy one of these for one of my rifles.

That said a friend of mine bought one for a rifle he put togethter for shooting indoor three gun matches were the ranges would always be 25 yards or less and usually in medium to low light settings. I played with it for a wile and I must say that for the money I think it is a very nice sight, maybe even the best red (and green) dot in the sub $200.00 price range. It was very solid and did not feel cheap at all. Field of view is fine if you shoot both eyes open, if you close your weak eye you loose a lot as the rear lens is fairly small in diameter. The built-in mount is very solid but if you wish to use irons at the same time you will need to mount it on a riser block as others here have shown.

In the end my friend ended up getting a great deal on a slightly used C-More and took the Bushnell off his rifle. As he only has one AR and I don't want it I'm selling it for him in the Optics section of the EE for $130.00 shipped. It looks brand new, only two trips to the range with it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2007 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]
EvilBert:

Good, I need another.  I'll take it.

Nice write-up, BTW.  

IM/EM sent.

Noah
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the report EvilBert. I really, really like that reticle that they use, so I will probably eventually pick one of these up. They seem to be a very good value based on everything I have heard thus far.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Got the scope and it will not clear the front sight mounted on a flat top. Looks like I will need to buy a riser for it like this YHM picatinny risers.
yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/Picatinny_Risers.jpg

I got these same riser at "the nations gun show" and they do the trick, no more front sight in the way.. I paid $14/each for them..

I havent had much shooting time with the sight, but so far its been a good sight..

thanks

Brian
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Had mine out in the cold a few weeks ago and it worked without a hitch.

Bought a second one, used from a board member for another M4gery that I have.

Noah
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#30]
YHM make a 1/4" riser. I think it was made for the holosite / EO Tech. This may help with this sight too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I got one of these scopes, and i bought a set of the YHM risers for it. The risers put the scope too high in my opinion and i noticed that it seems like the dot dances around (paralax?) if I move my head when I have the front sight installed. If i take the sight off paralax?  dissapears.   I have it mounted right on the rail now and I like it where it is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone gotten this to co-witness with BUIS yet?  Our work rifles aren't allowed to have optics only.  We have to have irons to qualify with and they are required to remain on the rifle, however, you can add optics.

I have a Stag arms upper with the standard front sight and the ARMS 40 rear sight.  What would I have to do to get this piece to co-witness?  1/4" riser?
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#33]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got one from digitalfotoclub.com this week for 130 with free shipping. Didn't get to the range today because of the snow to try it out yet. I'll probobly use it with a riser. Very nice for the money, and I like the red/green reticle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Bear, did you ever get out to try the sight out?
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Here are a few pics of my Bushy with the Bushnell red dot.  Overall it's not bad for the money.  

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/amill94/ar319.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/amill94/ar3194.jpg
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#37]
If any of the snobs say anything about it, just say hey Bushnell is where your Eotech came from!
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Amil, nice setup.  I wish I could just ignore the rear sight, but I gotta have it.  Thinking about not worrying about the whole co-witness thing and replacing the FSB and going with a new block and flip up front sight also.  I would like to have it set up to cowitness as is, but it doesnt seem that anyone out there has tried this yet and can comment on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#39]
OK I bit the bullet and bought the YHM eotec 1/4 inch riser.
HOLY SMOKES this is perfect. I get a perfect cowitness, If i look through the sights the dot hovers just above the post, and the post is illuminated by the red bar. If I look through the center of the scope I look just over the sights and the red dot is perfect. this was the  best 30 bucks I have spent yet. It works out perfect with a cut carry handle BUIS, just like it was ment to be. Not to mention it looks uber cool.

I give this product a strong BUY BUY BUY..lol

I tried the mini risers and they suck, the scope is way too high and teh sights are unusable

Link Posted: 3/26/2007 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup I ran the hell out of it today, took off the scope a few times, took of the buis, came back to zero every time. I even smacked it a few times against a tractor tire but it held its zero.
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I got one in from my supplier to tryout and it has a box around the reticle when its turned up.  It looks like a sturdy unit, its heavy enough.  But it looks like its going back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Got the Bushnell MP Trophy for the AR based on this thread and the price was right.  
$150 at opticsplanet.  Was very impressed with the sight out of the box.  Very sturdy construction.  Had some glare issues in the living room but outside, no problems.  Mounted on STAG LH flatop upper with 14 inch ARMS Swan sleeve with flip up rear sight and flip up front sight.  Shot it today.  I believe the Ad online said the dot is 3 MOA, however its pretty small, may be a 1 MOA.  No problems seeing it tho with the lines around it.  Zeroed at 50 yards on some evil paper plates, no troubles.  Fired at said plates at 100, easy to see, dot is very small.  Would easily work at 200 yrds.  Grouped nicely.  Tried some reflex drills, reticle is very easy to aquire.  For the price, i dont think you can go wrong with this one.  Oh, one thing, the FOV is limited.  Not the best for an "entry gun."  
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
OK I bit the bullet and bought the YHM eotec 1/4 inch riser.

I may have to get me one of those risers and try it.  Thanks for the report!

Both of my Trophy MPs have been on and off two of my ARs and they hold zero like glue.  For the ~$150 or so price, this is a heck of an optic.

Noah
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UPDATE - Went to a gunshow today and looked at one of these.  I saw no reticle shadow in it, no matter which color/power setting.  Looks like mine may be going back  - CRAP!

Just thought you guys might want to know about this potential issue.

Update - sent my scope to Bushnell and they sent me a new one.  New one does not have the reticle shadow that the first one had.  Now the issue is that I bought another optic for this gun.  Oh well, now I gotta but another gun for this optic.

I think I'll try the EOT riser from YHM and get another flat-top carbine with sights.
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 2:26:36 AM EDT
[#45]
^^^

Noah
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I love this sight for the price. The YHM Eotec 1/4 inch riser is definately the way to go, the dot sits right on top of the post and you can still use the irons.

BD
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey! Sounds like this is a pretty good little scope for the price and what the vast majority of people will do (i.e.., plinking, target shooting, etc).

One question though - seeing as this is an ACOG clone, is there per chance a 'clone' magnifier for it? A 2-3x magnifier for it would be a hoot :)
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, it appears the questions about how to get this sight to co-witness with irons like an Aimpoint or EO Tech has been definatively answered now.

BTW, will the 1/4 risers be sufficient to get the optic just high enough to clear an ARMS#40L when the optic is mounted farther to the rear (think of how the ACOG/ARMS#40L setups would look)?
Link Posted: 6/21/2007 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I dont know how I missed all of this. I dont own one yet, but, I can comment on Bushnells customer service. Last year I had put a Bushnell scope on a 12 ga slug gun. It said "shockproof" so I thought "great". Well on the third slug, the scope died.  Called Bushnell and they said send it in. A week later I got a box from UPS with a brand new shot gun scope, made just for shotguns. I got a new scope for a scope that I had for years, customer service all ways sells me on a product. You just cant beat good customer service.
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#50]
this might be something for me to look into. I have been looking for an inexpensive optics option, as i don't have the means to spend as much on an optic as i did for the gun. thanks for the info!
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top