User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just took a long hard look at my Trophy MP and mine too has a crooked reticle.

I had thought it was the uneven legs on the mount that was the problem, but when you reference the T against the rest of the scope, it's a few degrees canted to the right.

Wish I had noticed this before I started modding my Mossberg mount to accomodate what I thought was a tricky mount :(

Guess I get to try out Bushnell's customer service line tomorrow, as Opticsplanet has a "too bad, contact the manufacturer" policy on scopes.

can you show a pic of this through the scope  just curious what is crooked, the only reason is if I look directly at my barrel from the front it looks like the iron sight is slightly crooked, but the red dot looks level when viewing it normally.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why choose the MP Trophy over the Bushnell Holosight (EOTech clone)?  I've never used either.  I'd be plinking outdoors between 25 and 100 yards, mostly.  How are the two different?  Both sights can be used with both eyes open, correct?  

The price, if the holosight was the price of the trophy mp I would of rather had that one.

Both are within my budget.  Why choose the Holosight over the MP Trophy?
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
can you show a pic of this through the scope  just curious what is crooked, the only reason is if I look directly at my barrel from the front it looks like the iron sight is slightly crooked, but the red dot looks level when viewing it normally.

Alas, my camera doesn't like to take that sort of pic, I've been trying all evening.

It isn't an illusion caused by the front sight, as the front sight is folded down right now and when I noticed it.  If I use the horizontal area of the mount just underneath the body of the scope as a reference, the reticle is visible skewed.  I'll break out the tripod tomorrow and try to get a pic, but no promises.  Macro mode on my digicam is pretty ropey.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why choose the MP Trophy over the Bushnell Holosight (EOTech clone)?  I've never used either.  I'd be plinking outdoors between 25 and 100 yards, mostly.  How are the two different?  Both sights can be used with both eyes open, correct?  

The price, if the holosight was the price of the trophy mp I would of rather had that one.

Both are within my budget.  Why choose the Holosight over the MP Trophy?

More compact size and I think it has a bigger overall view and might block less surroundings because its smaller. But mostly smaller size.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of Rings are on the Trophy 1.75x4x32?
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anybody been successfull in mounting a rear sight that is functional with the sope mounted without a riser?  Or is there just not enough room?

If I mount it under the scope I may and try to change the scope mount to a set of lever quick releases.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got mine today and I can't wait for the rifle to get here on Friday. I am very happy with the quality. The brightest setting is almost to bright, I like it on the first or sec level, and the green is awesome. I will post a range report when I get it dialed in. This one is going on a DPMS Sweet 16, I would still like to see one mounted on a gooseneck rail.
NCH
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Has anybody been successfull in mounting a rear sight that is functional with the sope mounted without a riser?  Or is there just not enough room?

If I mount it under the scope I may and try to change the scope mount to a set of lever quick releases.

on mine it barely fit.  The rear sights just missed the glass by1/2 inch when folded up.

Link Posted: 2/27/2008 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
on mine it barely fit. The rear sights just missed the glass by1/2 inch when folded up.

I see that now (I was at work which blocks a lot of photos I didn't know about) who makes your rear sight Chunky?
Thanks for the response too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

on mine it barely fit. The rear sights just missed the glass by1/2 inch when folded up.

I see that now (I was at work which blocks a lot of photos I didn't know about) who makes your rear sight Chunky?
Thanks for the response too.

Go to page 14  4th from the bottom explains it all. My post.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Mounted mine on my Bushmaster.  It just clears my Wilson Combat BUIS.

Link Posted: 2/27/2008 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine cleared my Matech but I wanted the co-witness lower,hence the riser.[YHM-227]
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Before the riser did the Matech require a bunch of over hang by the scope base over the flat top?
height=8
Quoted:
Mine cleared my Matech but I wanted the co-witness lower,hence the riser.[YHM-227]
i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/jackinil/IMG_0484.jpg
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]
It was as far forward as it could go and still be stable[in my mind]. The Matech cleared by a ^%^ hair then.
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I had to hang it off the front a smidge, but it locks up just fine.  The single lug is on the back part of the mount, so it's still got a decent grip.

Link Posted: 2/29/2008 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I’m afraid my issue could be just me, my wife didn’t see the blur but I did, but outdoors it was fine .
I hope I’m not loosing it yet. I have a Tasco pro point on order also with just a dot

I've experience the same phenomena with other dot type sights.

You are not alone
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#17]
got mine but have not shot with it yet. I did notice the reticle to be tilted out of the box tho. I actually took the unit apart trying to see why. Well the center tube that your looking through which holds the "projector" of the image is off center. Its glued or attached to the front just behind the front lense and can not be rotated. It would be as simple as rotating that tube to straighted it out but I felt anymore dicking with it would destroy it. I did notice its well built tho and everything that comes off or has to move as a nice o-ring on it to keep mosture out.  the image through the optic is very clear and i dont have many problems viewing with both eyes open however like others have stated its a little small.

I have a couple pics on both my 10/22 and my AR. I think this actually might end up on the 10/22 at least for now until the next AR is built. It might just stay and Ill sack up for a eotech,aimpoint, or rear acog. Ill see how it does outside during actual shooting.

I still think this is a cost effective way to save a few bucks and one of the better "cheap" red dots out there
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I have not yet had a chance to bring it to the range, but the rectical is dead on, nothing is off as others have mentioned. I am using the YHM eotech riser on mine. I am so hyped to pop of some round with it!!!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/Santange/DPMSMOD006.jpg
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
I have not yet had a chance to bring it to the range, but the rectical is dead on, nothing is off as others have mentioned. I am using the YHM eotech riser on mine. I am so hyped to pop of some round with it!!!

]

yours is also the older version. Mine just so happens to be the new...seems like any of the tilted reticle is on the new version
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm guessing they stepped up production to meet demand and QC went downhill.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]
My Gen2 version is just fine, no tilt ... no blur.  I finally got to do some serious shooting with it today, and it performed very well.  It was just an inch low and left from the start with no adjustments.  I zerod it for 2" high at 50 yards and got a couple sub 2" groups shooting Guat surplus through a RRA 16" tac-entry gun.

The dot also holds perfectly if you move your head around a bit, just like it should.  

With a GG&G rear sight I get a perfect full co-witness, and the optic sits back far enough that there's none of the mount hanging off the end of the flat-top.  Glass is clear and bright, I tried aiming toward the sun (not directly at it obviously) and it did well there too, no glare to speak off and the illumination didn't wash out.

I'm not sure what more you could ask for considering the price!
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]
in stock for $139 shipped CLICK HERE  
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The only thing more you could ask for is durability and I'm SURE you won't get it. hinking.gif

I have a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot I paid 80 dollars for. It lasted a few hundred rounds before the reticule went bye-bye.

I had to include a 10 dollar money order when I sent it back to Bushnell for warranty service. It also cost me 8 bucks to ship it. So now my 80 dollar Red Dot has cost me a 100 dollars and the status of my RMA at Bushnell is "Replacement Ordered" "Warranty repairs can take 4 - 6 weeks" I also went through the same deal with a BEC scope a couple months ago.

When I get the Red Dot back, I'm mounting it on my Oly 9mm but the next time it wets the bed, I will use it as target practice rather than spend another twenty dollars and send it in for repairs again.

Of course YMMV...

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The only thing more you could ask for is durability and I'm SURE you won't get it.

I have a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot I paid 80 dollars for. It lasted a few hundred rounds before the reticule went bye-bye.

I had to include a 10 dollar money order when I sent it back to Bushnell for warranty service. It also cost me 8 bucks to ship it. So now my 80 dollar Red Dot has cost me a 100 dollars and the status of my RMA at Bushnell is "Replacement Ordered" "Warranty repairs can take 4 - 6 weeks" I also went through the same deal with a BEC scope a couple months ago.

When I get the Red Dot back, I'm mounting it on my Oly 9mm but the next time it wets the bed, I will use it as target practice rather than spend another twenty dollars and send it in for repairs again.

Of course YMMV...

So was this a used scope for that price? If it was how old was it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:

So was this a used scope for that price? If it was how old was it.

That was a new one. It was a Bushnell Trophy not the Bushnell Trophy MP.  

This is the Trophy Red Dot:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/Mike____Smith/Miscellaneous/AR/BushnellRedDot.jpg

I don't see much difference the Trophy which retailed for 90.00 and the ACOG clone which retailed for 160.00 The innards are probably identical. I don't expect the replacement from Bushnell to last 500 rounds. I expect it to fail.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#26]
for those who want to see one on a a2 carry handle here you go
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/rockbronco/P2280057.jpg
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:

You gonna need a cheek riser...
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Range report: I sighted both in at 25 yards and at 50 yards and prefect.  Once I was done playing around just for kicks I took the Bushnell MP off my AR and placed it on my Ruger 10/22 with no modifications it was also dead on

Quoted:
What the hell I went the cheaper rout and got all 3, and love them all Optical planet.com
Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4x32
Bushnell MP
Tasco powerpoint red Dot

All for under $300.00

i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/IMG_1139.jpg
i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/IMG_1136.jpg
i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/IMG_1140-1.jpg

i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/IMG_1142.jpg
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok, I managed to snap a pic of my wonky reticle.

My camera was tilted (freehand pic, no tripod) so I have rotated the whole picture to level out the image, but I haven't done anything else to adjust the angle or clarity of the reticle.

What's really annoying is I spent an hour "adjusting" a perfectly good mount on my shotgun with a Dremel before I noticed this sucker was wonky.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

You gonna need a cheek riser... hhttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/rockbronco/P2280056.jpg

It might see the next AR if I dont end up with a aimpoint or eotech first

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I contacted Bushnell to send my MP Trophy back due to "reticle kink" today and I'm not going to be singing their praises any time soon.

Firstly, they told me I'd need to ship the scope to them at my expense, along with $10 to ship it back to me to fix a manufacturing defect.  I disagreed.  Apparently, I'm such a great guy when I disagree, they'd be "generous" enough to waive the shipping back, out of the goodness of their hearts.

I mentioned that if I paid out one dime to fix their error, I'd never send another nickel their way again.  Shockingly enough, now they can send me a UPS label to send the scope back to them.  It will take a week (10 minutes to print, a couple of minutes to stuff into an envelope, three days sitting on a desk, two days in an out tray, two days USPS mail?) but they've deigned to not charge me for their shoddy quality control, which is terribly gracious of them don't you think?

Assuming the label ever actually arrives, I'll only have to wait that week, plus shipping time there plus an additional 4-6 weeks to get the correctly aligned scope I paid for!

Next time I open my wallet to buy optics, I'm buying the sodding EOTech like folks said I should.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:
I contacted Bushnell to send my MP Trophy back due to "reticle kink" today and I'm not going to be singing their praises any time soon.

Firstly, they told me I'd need to ship the scope to them at my expense, along with $10 to ship it back to me to fix a manufacturing defect.  I disagreed.  Apparently, I'm such a great guy when I disagree, they'd be "generous" enough to waive the shipping back, out of the goodness of their hearts.

I mentioned that if I paid out one dime to fix their error, I'd never send another nickel their way again.  Shockingly enough, now they can send me a UPS label to send the scope back to them.  It will take a week (10 minutes to print, a couple of minutes to stuff into an envelope, three days sitting on a desk, two days in an out tray, two days USPS mail?) but they've deigned to not charge me for their shoddy quality control, which is terribly gracious of them don't you think?

Assuming the label ever actually arrives, I'll only have to wait that week, plus shipping time there plus an additional 4-6 weeks to get the correctly aligned scope I paid for!

Next time I open my wallet to buy optics, I'm buying the sodding EOTech like folks said I should.

Good for you. When my Bushnell got farked, I was just disgusted and resigned to my fate so I sent in my ten dollar money order and paid to ship it back. hought

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#33]
yeah kinda blows, im not going to dick with sending it back. Ill just let it reside on the 10/22 and call it good.  Ill pick up an aimpoint for my ar build
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Mine has a similar cant, just not as aggressive.  I always have a slight cant in my stance anyway so I find it accomodating.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Firstly, they told me I'd need to ship the scope to them at my expense, along with $10 to ship it back to me to fix a manufacturing defect.  .

Heh...  Sounds like the worthless "lifetime warranty" the comes with a lot of the cheap chinese red dot sights these days.  The last one I picked up a few days ago has one of these, and to get warranty work done, you have to send them the full purchase price of the sight, minus one dollar.  No, I'm not making this up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Can anyone confirm these are now made in China??  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Can anyone confirm these are now made in China??  Thanks!

Mine says made in Korea, if they are now made in China I'm glade I got one when I did.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Bushnell says Made In Korea still.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#39]
i was wondering if this thing will cowitness with a rra dominator mount
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I am a patrol officer/entry guy.  I was wondering if anyone would it be better to use this bushnell or a traditional red dot, like the burris speed dot.  DPMS 16" M4 removable carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I temporarily had a red dot on a new Bushy flat top carbine, replaced it with the Bushnell.  Very much more like the Bushnell over the traditional reddot.  My only issue with the Bushnell is that in mine, I think the red is TOO bright.  Green is perfect.  Even on 1, the red seems a bit much.  I am sure that will tone down as the battery gets a bit weaker.
I really like the site for a carbine, but agree, a 2x or 3x would be nice.
Hank
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I am a patrol officer/entry guy.  I was wondering if anyone would it be better to use this bushnell or a traditional red dot, like the burris speed dot.  DPMS 16" M4 removable carry handle.

I really would not recommend the Trophy as a duty scope.  I know I wouldn't trust my life to this thing!  Spend the money and get something trustworthy.  If you want a regular red-dot, I hear Aimpoint make some suitable ones :)  If I wasn't budget constrained, I'd have bought an EOTech in a heartbeat, but for the present it was the Bushnell or nothing else worthwhile.

On a lighter note, my UPS label arrived today, so I get to send the wonky thing back to them and start the clock on just how long 4-6 weeks really is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really would not recommend the Trophy as a duty scope.  I know I wouldn't trust my life to this thing!  Spend the money and get something trustworthy.  If you want a regular red-dot, I hear Aimpoint make some suitable ones :)  If I wasn't budget constrained, I'd have bought an EOTech in a heartbeat, but for the present it was the Bushnell or nothing else worthwhile.

On a lighter note, my UPS label arrived today, so I get to send the wonky thing back to them and start the clock on just how long 4-6 weeks really is.

I'd trust mine....
but then again mine hasn't given me any reason not to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe if someone is brave enough to drag one behind a bike for a few feet then slap it back on and see if it works and still holds center, then I would be impressed. For any type of combat situations I would get a combat proven device.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyone order one of these from Opticsplanet lately?  Are they back in stock?
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I recently purchased a "Bushnell Trophy" for my RRA entry tactical. This is my first AR, so I'm new to all of this. I've been at the range twice in the last week trying to zero this scope in. I'm having a hell of a time. At 25 yards I can consistently keep'm in the inner circle. I move the target to 50 yards and that’s when the problems start. I can aim at the center and the bullet will impact high (4-5 inches) and to the left or to the right. I make some adjustments and sometimes it wail impact where I was aiming other times it will not. I'm not sure if its me, or I have a defective scope. I was thinking that I might be doing something wrong (aiming) with the red dot. I have many regular scopes on other guns and have no problems zeroing them. Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I recently purchased a "Bushnell Trophy" for my RRA entry tactical. This is my first AR, so I'm new to all of this. I've been at the range twice in the last week trying to zero this scope in. I'm having a hell of a time. At 25 yards I can consistently keep'm in the inner circle. I move the target to 50 yards and that’s when the problems start. I can aim at the center and the bullet will impact high (4-5 inches) and to the left or to the right. I make some adjustments and sometimes it wail impact where I was aiming other times it will not. I'm not sure if its me, or I have a defective scope. I was thinking that I might be doing something wrong (aiming) with the red dot. I have many regular scopes on other guns and have no problems zeroing them. Thanks in advance for the help.

First off, generally speaking because of the trajectory of the 5.56 round, it is better to zero nonmagnified "red dot" sights at 50 yards.  I'm including two links.  Take a look at the info located at these two links.  They should help.

25 Yard Zeroing Method
Zero Trajectories
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
Anyone order one of these from Opticsplanet lately?  Are they back in stock?

i sighted mine in on 5 in splatter target and it took about 10 rounds and arter 100 rounds it is still dead on the money
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone using a riser?  I just got one because... well, I don't really know why I got it.  
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top