User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have heard lots of reports of the 22s firing OOB (I just made that acronym up)

I just purchased a Ceiner .22 conversion kit for my AR.  Ran 10 (10 round) magazines through it yesterday and it ran flawlessly.  Pretty accurate too.  I'm using a Bushmaster CAR 16".

Now my question, if I do have a .22 fire OOB (I like your acronym) is there any potential in damaging my rifle.  I am most concerned about my lower.  You see, I live in California and my lower is registered with the CA DOJ (Dept. of Justice) as an assault weapon.  If it gets damaged, I am screwed and can not replace it.

Thanks.

Tim
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I have heard lots of reports of the 22s firing OOB (I just made that acronym up)

I just purchased a Ceiner .22 conversion kit for my AR.  Ran 10 (10 round) magazines through it yesterday and it ran flawlessly.  Pretty accurate too.  I'm using a Bushmaster CAR 16".

Now my question, if I do have a .22 fire OOB (I like your acronym) is there any potential in damaging my rifle.  I am most concerned about my lower.  You see, I live in California and my lower is registered with the CA DOJ (Dept. of Justice) as an assault weapon.  If it gets damaged, I am screwed and can not replace it.

Thanks.

Tim

If i were you. which im not id sell your conversion kit and get a 10/22. and then u dont have to worry about messin up your AR shootin 22 shells out of it

PS

I really dont understand Cali!!! you can get a mini 14 but you cant get a AR other than that gay ass system you have to open up to load. You can get a SKS but you cant get a AK, You can buy a M1 or a BAR but not a Hk. In each of the groups i mentioned they are the same cal. just different guns.... its retarded. but then again some of the laws in other states like MD, NY,NJ dont make much "common" sense

did you know hollow points are illeagle in NJ even before the ban. it is a $100 fine per each hollow point. maybe more now im not up to date on that

or this law for NYC

Handgun licenses issued elsewhere in New York State are not valid in New York City. New York City licenses are valid throughout New York State. However, a New York State license to carry or possess will be valid in New York City provided that the handguns are transported by the licensee in a locked container, and the trip through New York City is continuous and uninterrupted.

city law overrides state law how does that work??
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quit with the blaser is going to blow you up.  

THe link cited is to one (READ ONE) report of a guy blowing up his mac - its not from atf.  There is no known testing that proves blaser will blow up you gun - just one guy's mac.

Think about it for a minute - neither brass nor alum. cased ammo does very well when fired out of battery.  They'll all blow up.

It's not about firing out of battery, it's about the straight blow back nature of the rifles. The brass is more resistant to problems when the gun unlocks while chamber pressure is high. By the same token, Winchester 9mm +P+ Ranger Talon says "don't use in rifles".

I dont work for blaser, Im just a satified customer and I hate to see crap perpetuated.

rant off - glad youre ok.  Im sure bushy will get you squared away.

It's a matter of ratios really. If Blazer detonates 1 out of every 1000 times fired in a blowback, it doesn't mean you're doomed to use it, but it's beyond acceptable ratios. It doesn't mean you WILL have a problem.

I'm sure Bushmaster and Keltec (who also says "no Blazer" for the Sub2000) noticed that the guns that were blowing up, a majority were caused by Blazer, so they issued a warning.

I agree that the internet perpetuates falsehoods, but that doesn't mean that you automatically dismiss something just because it's on the internet either.

(Magsafe had a sticker on their 45 +p that said "do not use in Glock". Guy I knew figured the same as you, that the warning was a CYA, and didn't affect him. When his gun exploded, who should he have blamed?)
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Tim

Hey Tim.  I wouldn't really worry about it.  I have had a couple of OOB's in my Ciener Kit.  I have over 18,000 rounds through it now.  Aside from being loud, and scareing the hell out of me, there was absolutely no damage to the kit, magazine, or lower receiver.  All that happened was the loud bang, and a lot of smoke coming out of the gun.  The OOB's that I had with my Ciener Kit were in the first 1000 rounds when I was breaking it in and a newbie to conversion kits....I was not keeping it lubed enough.  That had to have been over 5 years ago now.  3 of my shooting buddies have Ciener Kits, and none of them have had any OOB's.

I have read that with a DPMS conversion kit an OOB could cause an extractor to blow off, but I don't know as I have not had an OOB with my DPMS kit as of yet (2700 rounds through that one).

I pretty much shoot the cheapest .22LR ammo I can find:  currently Federal Champion Bulk Pack.  I've also used Federal Lightning, Champion (non bulk pack), Winchester Wildcat, Remington Golden Bullet, Thunderbolts (would not recomend, too many failure to fires), CCI Blazers (run great in Ciener, not so in DPMS), and American Eagle.

Hope this helps!

Brad
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nightowl,

If I could see/find/read any credible proof that blaser was blowing up blowback or open bolt guns anymore often than other ammo, I'd bite.  But it aint out there.  Im not the only guy running blaser thru open bolt mgs or using it in blowback guns either.

Like I said, just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

We're also talking about 2 different cartridges with different pressure curves in different guns.  both the guns - mac and your buddy's glock were 45's not 9mm's, that could have something to do with it....I dont know.

The glock/magsafe comparison was more about ignoring a factory warning than a demonstration that guns can blow up.

I do know that when there is a bad batch of ammo or shitty manufacturer we hear about it ALOT from lots of shooters - look at the 308 indian surplus - the net was full of guys that have blown shit up with it.  Its not full of guys with blown up guns from blaser - so I call B.S. on the warning/blame.

Well, this topic IS about a gun blown up with Blazer, hence why it came up at all.

I'm not saying it's a definite problem, I'm just saying I wouldn't encourage people to ignore the factory warnings, just because you haven't blown up a gun yet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh Snap!

Ha ha ha that's what his upper receiver did.

Edit: But seriously, I'm glad you're okay and BM is resolving the problem for you.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Shumba, actually I don't think you're out of luck if your lower is damaged. Usually when that happens you can take it to an FFL who holds an AW permit and they will record the serial # with the DOJ and state that it is damaged beyond repair. They can order you a new lower with a new serial # and it would have to be re-registered into the DOJ database. The old lower is turned over to the FFL for destruction. At least for now they don't  deny someone who already had a registered AR lower the right to replace it if it's damaged. There have been several posts about this matter in the hometown section in the past.
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shumba, actually I don't think you're out of luck if your lower is damaged. Usually when that happens you can take it to an FFL who holds an AW permit and they will record the serial # with the DOJ and state that it is damaged beyond repair. They can order you a new lower with a new serial # and it would have to be re-registered into the DOJ database. The old lower is turned over to the FFL for destruction. At least for now they don't  deny someone who already had a registered AR lower the right to replace it if it's damaged. There have been several posts about this matter in the hometown section in the past.

Wow, I didn't know that.  That makes me feel alot better.  I was worried that I would be SOL if anything happened to my lower.

Thanks!

Tim
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
No problem. I'm in the same boat as you as I only have one registered AR so we do the best with what we have. Us Cali guys have to stick together!
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm glad I did not get hurt in any way.  However, All the warnings you see about firing aluminum cased ammo (none of which was in the Bushmaster manual).  Is the intent of that warning for reliability reasons or don't shoot blazer cause it will cause your gun to up on you?.  

I have tried Blazer in my 9mm AR, and it is not reliable.  Neither is it in my friend's AR.

In locked breech pistols, it seems to run all right, but it definitely does not like blow back actions.

I never considered it to be dangerous, but I might have to rethink that point.

Blazer has been 100% reliable in my 3 9mm pistols, my Uzi, my Oly 9mm AR, and my RRA 9mm SBR.  Total combined round count through all these weapons is on the order of 12-15 thousand.

Plus, hard to beat $4.75/50
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh....btw....glad to see you didn't get hurt!

I would get your money back and buy an aluminum forged standard 9mm AR and never worry when you pull the trigger.  You will have to beefcake up a bit and heft that metal tho.  If my Pinto went up in flames I might not want to try my luck again even if Ford wanted to give me a new one.

good post.good info.my way of thinking too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I got to mess with a Carbon 15 over Thanksgiving weekend.  I have to admit....

It was a bigger PIECE OF SHIT than I could have imagined.  There is a product out there WORSE than OLYMPIC ARMS!
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It was a bigger PIECE OF SHIT than I could have imagined.  There is a product out there WORSE than OLYMPIC ARMS!

you are just mad the the carbon 15 lower does not accept a magpul enhnced trigger guard
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]
what made that carbon fiber receiver split apart would've damaged an aluminum receiver, and even a steel one. Any car guys know a carbon fiber drive shaft will take more punishment than an aluminum or steel one, BUT when it does go, rather than twisting, contorting or shearing, it just shatters
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
what made that carbon fiber receiver split apart would've damaged an aluminum receiver, and even a steel one. Any car guys know a carbon fiber drive shaft will take more punishment than an aluminum or steel one, BUT when it does go, rather than twisting, contorting or shearing, it just shatters

There's a difference between the material used in a carbon fiber drive shaft and the "carbon fiber" material they use in these Bushies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are just mad the the carbon 15 lower does not accept a magpul enhnced trigger guard

That's true too!
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a difference between the material used in a carbon fiber drive shaft and the "carbon fiber" material they use in these Bushies.
by the quotes you use, I assume you are saying it's a shoddy, poorer grade of material they are using?
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
it is plastic with small carbon fibers in the mix
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Calling injection molded plastic mixed with carbon fiber hairs a "carbon fiber product" is like calling your corn riddled poo "corn on the cob".
Link Posted: 12/6/2006 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, that makes the second Carbon 15 9mm i've seen like that. The first one happend at the range i work at. The lower snapped off at the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/7/2006 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Calling injection molded plastic mixed with carbon fiber hairs a "carbon fiber product" is like calling your corn riddled poo "corn on the cob".

I like someone with the same sick sense of humor as I have....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top