Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A concern I have with these buffers is reliability.

Changing anything on your moving mass can affect rifle operation.  If you have a borderline gas system, on the undergassed side, you could introduce problems by adding mass (weight).  FTF, FTE, FTEX, etc. can all occur if you add too much to the system.  Add the collection of mechanical tolerances to the mix and it could make things worse.  Most rifles won't have this issue, but some will.

Having said all of that, I'm very interested in these buffers and others, as I will start some type of competetive shooting this year or next and speed will be a concern for me.

My only issue is the testing.  Ideally, I'd like to have two or three exactly identical rifles side by side for the testing.  That would cost some $$$$.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot the MGI buffer in my new POF gas piston upper today. It really made the smooth operating gas system run even smoother. It is noticable. Muzzle climb was almost nonexistant! The weapon stayed right on target!!
We also tried it in my Dads 10'' M-16. On semi it helped keep the muzzle down and on full auto it was night and day. The buffer slowed the rate of fire down considerably ( as advertised) and the weapon was a lot more controllable! The MGI is well worth the money!
I also recieved my enidne buffer in the mail today but wont get to try it out until next weekend. Both buffers are very well made! I dont think that you will go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You know what would be shnazzy? A enidine pistol buffer tube that instead of having a buffer slide through it, WAS the buffer. Have the bolt carrier push directly on the buffer like the M249.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Went for the endine becasue the mgi one was developed as a part of the counterpoise system, which imho, sucked.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I went for the AAC (Advanced Armament) Rate Reducer and it's worked out great for me. Very nice and smooth...came with a buffer spring too...$79 direct from AAC.

http://www.advancedarmament.com/products/ar15.asp

Scroll down to the bottom...really nice looking too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag to review tomorrow morning
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#10]
not trying to hijack, but what weight 9mm buffers are commonly being used in the 5.56 carbines, or is it  just the H buffer?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Im curious as to what the 9mm buffer weighs myself?
A standard "H" buffer weighs 3.76oz.  A standard car buffer weighs 2.94oz
My advance armament buffer weighs 5.28 oz
My enidine buffer weighs 4.3 oz
My MGI buffer weighs 7.1 oz
Without testing the enidine yet, My MGI is by far the best buffer that I have. I makes the biggest difference.
I will be testing the enidine tomorrow pending the weather. ( Nothing scientific. Just range shooting)
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i would pick either buffers in this thread over the aac, the aac takes place of the spring and buffer so when it goes the rifle is rendered useless.

Exactly what are you talking about? I don't understand how the failure of the AAC buffer would affect the gun any differently than then MGI, Endine, or any other buffer failing...

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:04:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i would pick either buffers in this thread over the aac, the aac takes place of the spring and buffer so when it goes the rifle is rendered useless.

Exactly what are you talking about? I don't understand how the failure of the AAC buffer would affect the gun any differently than then MGI, Endine, or any other buffer failing...

www.advancedarmament.com/images/products/cyclic.jpg

thats probably a newer design all the ones i have seen took place of the whole buffer and spring.  use to be like a shock/strut for vehicles but in your buffer tube and if it went so did your rifle.

looks like they redesigned it to work/look like the two that are here already though
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Well according to their website, it was designed by firearms inventor Maxwell G. Atchisson. It also states that it has survived a 6000 round military endurance test and I can tell you by first hand experience that the workmanship is top notch on the AAC unit. In usage, the felt recoil definitely went down and my AR stayed on target after every round much better than before...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#17]
The AAC carbine buffer has never taken the place of the recoil spring, though it does include a lighter recoil spring (only good for 9mm use, often times not strong enough to strip .223/5.56mm off a mag) which you can choose not to use.  Perhaps you are mistaking something else for the AAC buffer.  The AAC buffer is very good at reducing ROF, though it does not reduce recoil (if it does, it must be very little because I can't tell -- By contrast, I can tell the MGI reduces rate and recoil).  The AAC buffer does aid in reliability in that it compresses the buffer spring and keeps the bolt carrier behind the magazine for a longer duration, giving the magazine more time to get the next round in place.  The official endurance test is 6,000 rounds (I suspect they stopped there because the mil-spec test for rifles is 6k rounds), but many use them in their FA guns and have many, many more rounds through them.

I measure the AAC unit @ ~5.4oz and the MGI @ ~7.1oz
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#18]
there was one of them that took place of the whole buffer system.

when i remeber/find it ill post again

but i swear it was the aac.

eta: well i googled it and the only thing i found was the olympic arms hyd buffer which takes place of the buffer and spring and found this one too

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I finally got to compare the enidine buffer to the MGI in my POF gas piston upper M4. Shoooting xm193 55gr bullets, I fired 10 rounds with the enidine and then swapped to the MGI. In all honesty, I would have to say that this is truely a toss up! It seemed that maybe the MGI helped a little better with recoil and the enidine was slightly better on muzzle rise. Both are very smooth and make a noticable difference when compared to the standard H buffers. I ended up shooting another 300 rounds with both of these buffers and could hardly feel a difference. Both are very close in performance.
What I decided to do was to keep the MGI buffer in my POF M4 and to put the enidine in my SPR.  The enidine will contribute to less muzzle rise and help stay on target with my long distance shooting in the SPR.
The MGI just seems to fit my piston operated M4. Recoil is reduced considerably. (Not that the recoil is bad).
All in all I dont believe that you can go wrong purchasing either one of these buffers. Both are very well made and work as advertised!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#20]
You are thinking of the old Colt ACR buffer.  Not AAC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You are thinking of the old Colt ACR buffer.  Not AAC.

thats it!  

i stand corrected
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Where can I get an endine buffer?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
How about some more range reports?

I haven't been able to take mine out yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the heads up on the enidine buffer.  Picked one up from G&R Tactical (favorite dealer along with Denny) and should get it any day now.  I will let you know how she works out in FA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Grant, the thing is FANTASTIC!  I thought it was a gimmick until I crossed this thread.  I am going to ask Paul LW to try it on the .499!

I shot before and after installation, and it seems to cut felt recoil (which is about nil to begin with) but most importantly along with my LWKP, I can write my name with it on the target (exaggeration, but not not by much) as it really reduces muzzle rise.  I figure it works as a normal buffer does until it hits the back of the tube.  At that point, the little hydraulic piston softens the blow.  That terminal blow is likely responsible for most of the wandering your muzzle does in a mag dump.  It also reduced ROF some.

Damn, I am glad I ran across this thread!

Thanks for the quick and excellent service Grant/Roxanne once again.  BTW, awesome prices on the eotechs.  Will be contacting you soon about getting a few of those.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's a glimpse into the buyers mind.   I can afford your buffer, but did not buy it because the other 2 provided comparable results (from what I read here) at a reduced price.  Its already disturbing paying nearly a hundred bucks on a buffer.  Even if all three were in the same ballpark, it still would have been a toss up.

I think I will eventually obtain the other 2 and see for myself.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I am with 48thHighlander on the price issue. Although I really want to try the MGI buffer I can't justify the $150 price tag . Especially when some of the more knowledgeable dealers say the Enidine buffer is great. twl, let us know when you offer your buffers at the group buy rate again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a couple of MGI RRB's on the group buy offered by twl. I was looking at the Oly pnumatic buffer & hadn't heard about the Enidine offering until later. I like the MGI buffer because it's strictly mechanical, no seals to go south on you at the worst moment. Seals are problematic on any piece of equipment. The MGI could fail too but I have more faith in it's construction than I do with something that uses a seal. Also I don't look at it as buying a high dollar buffer, what I paid for was the features I was looking for, not the buffer itself. The MGI does everything it was claimed to do the way I want it done. The nice thing is that one buffer works on everything, AR15 in whatever flavor you like as well as my LR308.

Bushwack
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Having both, I can say that they are pretty equal in performance. They both reduce felt recoil and keep you on target from almost completely eliminating muzzle rise. The enidne is $50 cheaper and I think that its very robust. The MGI is a lot heavier and like some others have said being completely mechanical gives me a little more piece of mind. It helps eliminate recoil just a little more than the enidine.
Both are well worth the money and if you get the chance to compare them to regular buffers, you will see why!
I also just put the extra power recoil buffer spring from Wolf Springs in both my SPR and POF M4. These things work too!! The springs help felt recoil but mainly are nice for slamming the bolt back into battery. When you load a round  its going into the chamber. I recommend these also!!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Worrying about a hydralic buffer is overkill.  Enidine seems to make hydralics for aircraft and other applications.  If hydralics are good enough to keep a plane in the air, they are certainly good enough for my civvie weapons.  If the cylinder lost all of its fluid, the rifle would not fail to work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]
That's a very sensible argument, 48th.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Your point is well taken 48th, even if an airplane is a collection of compremises flying close formation. I'm sure anyone buying either buffer will be happy with what they bought.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Actually, the MGI RRB has been in limited use by certain groups of active duty U.S. military operators for a number of years now.
It is just not in general issue, nor is it probably likely to become general issue.

Since the design resulted from a partnership between Mack Gwinn and Jim Sullivan, with Sullivan being one of the most significant parties in the original design of the AR15, along with Gene Stoner,  this RRB buffer has been very closely matched to the characteristics and needs of the AR15 carbine as assessed by one of the members of the original design team for the weapon.

I haven't tried the Enidine, but if it is doing as well as PK Firearms says, then it must be a nice unit.

At this time, the RRB is the benchmark to beat.

Last I heard, Jim Sullivan was busy working on a family of weapons based on the constand recoil principle.

Anybody have some news on that?

Justin
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Worrying about a hydralic buffer is overkill. Enidine seems to make hydralics for aircraft and other applications. If hydralics are good enough to keep a plane in the air, they are certainly good enough for my civvie weapons. If the cylinder lost all of its fluid, the rifle would not fail to work.

True, but 3 of the Colt hydraulic buffers I had (all 3) leaked. I don't know who made them (Young MFG?), but I would want to hear some long-term test results before I'd (personally) want to try another one. I'm sure Enidine's mfg experience counts for something, but still I'm a little leary.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Enidine has tested the new M4 buffer to 500k simulated impacts.  

Endine is not a firearms company that plays with hydraulics, they are THE hydraulic company.  These folks know hydraulics.  Enidine is the supplier for the M249 Hydralic buffer and also make the M2 recoiling mounts for the military.  

Then next project is a buffer for the full stock M16.  We will be at the DPMS Shoot this weekend and will have demo guns on site.  Stop by and say hi.

We are the primary distributor for the Enidine M4 buffers and have many dealers here on AR15 who stock this product.

Larry Bullock
Buffer Technologies
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Enidine has tested the new M4 buffer to 500k simulated impacts.  

Endine is not a firearms company that plays with hydraulics, they are THE hydraulic company.  These folks know hydraulics.  Enidine is the supplier for the M249 Hydralic buffer and also make the M2 recoiling mounts for the military.  

Then next project is a buffer for the full stock M16.  We will be at the DPMS Shoot this weekend and will have demo guns on site.  Stop by and say hi.

We are the primary distributor for the Enidine M4 buffers and have many dealers here on AR15 who stock this product.

Larry Bullock
Buffer Technologies

Good to know. Thanks for the info; I'll keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Then next project is a buffer for the full stock M16.

Another nice thing about the MGI buffer - it's good for both carbine and full size stocks as is with the use of the delrin insert, no need for a different unit.  If I'm not mistaken, it will also work for 9mm as well.  Very versatile.

I would like to see how the rate reduction in the M16 stands up to the MGI.  So far the MGI has had the best rate reduction, at least compared to the AAC.  It will be tough to beat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then next project is a buffer for the full stock M16.

Another nice thing about the MGI buffer - it's good for both carbine and full size stocks as is with the use of the delrin insert, no need for a different unit.  If I'm not mistaken, it will also work for 9mm as well.  Very versatile.

I would like to see how the rate reduction in the M16 stands up to the MGI.  So far the MGI has had the best rate reduction, at least compared to the AAC.  It will be tough to beat.

yep the mgi is one size fits all!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm tempted to get an MGI buffer but, considering that I didn't like the feel of a 9mm buffer in a carbine, I'm hesitant to do so. I guess I could get one and, worst comes to worst, I could use it in my 9mm AR but still, $150 is a lot of money for something I'm not sure I will like.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Matt_B,

We have a money-back guarantee of satisfaction.

If you want to try it, you can send it back if you don't like it.

It is very different than the 9mm buffer, because it has the recoil reducing feature that the 9mm buffer does not have.

Literally hundreds of AR15.com members have purchased this buffer in just this year alone.
I have not gotten one sent back to me.

Thank you for the response TWL. I did not know about the money back guarantee. That changes things a bit.

I've read up on the MGI buffer and knew it doesn't have the same "thump" as a 9mm buffer but I also seemed to be the only one that knew of that didn't like a 9mm buffer in a 5.56mm AR.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Some interesting testing going on by AZLarry posted on Lightfighter.  Too early to make claims, but if it is true, MGI and AAC should undertake similar testing ASAP as I am sure the results would be similar.  Here is a cut and paste.  It is posted in the Lightfigher stud board.

By AZ LARRY:

14.5 upper 2854 FPS average
LW 10.5 upper, standard buffer 2641 FPS
LMT 10.5 upper 2549 FPS, now the kicker
LW 10.5 upper with Enidine buffer 2906 FPS

As much as I like this LW upper I will very shortly have an equal or higher amount of rounds through this upper and will report my findings. As I'm using a full auto lower the round count will accumulate quickly. I also plan (tomorrow) to chrono the LMT and 14.5 upper with just the hydraulic buffer. Hey, if nothing else I'm having a lot of fun experimenting. By the way, I have no relationship with LW or Enidine. I paid full wack for both. I also plan on hitting some armor plate I pulled out of a C-141. This stuff stopped 5.56 out of anything short of 14.5 inches. And it stopped all the 7.62 X .39 and .308 we shot at it. We did get 5.45 X .39 to penetrate it out of an 18 inch bbl. I'll keep evryone updated. But I suspect, the newness of the bbl is not as critical as you think. Rest assured I'll find out!

We'll see. I'm still trying to come to grips with gaining an extra 265 FPS just by adding the Enidine Buffer. The LW upper only gained 100 FPS. Enidine advertizes lower RAF and I can attest to that. I was doing single shots on full auto and 2 shot bursts were super easy. They also advertize eliminating bolt bounce. But they don't advertize higher velocity. This thing acts more like a bolt gun than a carbine. And Darren, correct me if I"m wrong but doesn't this have a 1/7 twist bbl? If so, I'm really confused. I will be burning lot's of ammo and chrono time in the next few days. I'll report back my findings.

The above was cut and pasted relevent info from AZLarry from the thread.  Here is the link if you want to look at the entire thread.  I have not chrono'ed my rifles with the enidine.

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/5901027651

I don't sell Enidine.  I am just impressed with their buffer.  So much so, we are going to test it with the .499 and see what happens.  What a life!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Some interesting testing going on by AZLarry posted on Lightfighter.  Too early to make claims, but if it is true, MGI and AAC should undertake similar testing ASAP as I am sure the results would be similar.  Here is a cut and paste.  It is posted in the Lightfigher stud board.

By AZ LARRY:

14.5 upper 2854 FPS average
LW 10.5 upper, standard buffer 2641 FPS
LMT 10.5 upper 2549 FPS, now the kicker
LW 10.5 upper with Enidine buffer 2906 FPS

As much as I like this LW upper I will very shortly have an equal or higher amount of rounds through this upper and will report my findings. As I'm using a full auto lower the round count will accumulate quickly. I also plan (tomorrow) to chrono the LMT and 14.5 upper with just the hydraulic buffer. Hey, if nothing else I'm having a lot of fun experimenting. By the way, I have no relationship with LW or Enidine. I paid full wack for both. I also plan on hitting some armor plate I pulled out of a C-141. This stuff stopped 5.56 out of anything short of 14.5 inches. And it stopped all the 7.62 X .39 and .308 we shot at it. We did get 5.45 X .39 to penetrate it out of an 18 inch bbl. I'll keep evryone updated. But I suspect, the newness of the bbl is not as critical as you think. Rest assured I'll find out!

We'll see. I'm still trying to come to grips with gaining an extra 265 FPS just by adding the Enidine Buffer. The LW upper only gained 100 FPS. Enidine advertizes lower RAF and I can attest to that. I was doing single shots on full auto and 2 shot bursts were super easy. They also advertize eliminating bolt bounce. But they don't advertize higher velocity. This thing acts more like a bolt gun than a carbine. And Darren, correct me if I"m wrong but doesn't this have a 1/7 twist bbl? If so, I'm really confused. I will be burning lot's of ammo and chrono time in the next few days. I'll report back my findings.

The above was cut and pasted relevent info from AZLarry from the thread.  Here is the link if you want to look at the entire thread.  I have not chrono'ed my rifles with the enidine.

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/5901027651

I don't sell Enidine.  I am just impressed with their buffer.  So much so, we are going to test it with the .499 and see what happens.  What a life!

Darren,

It's posted right here too, remember!

I mean for the love of God, you posted in the damn thread!  I think all of that powder residue is getting to your head.  You should stop testing and let me take over for now.

Link: www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=249960&page=13.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Top Top