Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy:  I don't mind discussing things here.  I don't take anything personally and I don't put others down for their opinions.  Just a friendly discussion and I hope you don't take anything in a bad way.  I know you have a lot more knowledge than I do, but I know enough to discuss things with people.

You arote:  Well, they (the V-Max bullets) were purposely designed to shoot varmints. Years later they were added to Hornady's police loads to satisfy the demands of departments whose leaders are more interested in peripheral legal issues than the safety of their officers or the public.

I totally agree.  Matter of fact, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.  To me, it just isn't as bad of a round as made out to be.  And I do understand how fragmenting type bullets work.  I personally prefer the bullets that Mushroom out because I believe they are very reliable.  I could be wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wondering why this thread got untacked?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't this be a sticky?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this out

Here it shows the gelatin tests where some Ballistic Tip style bullets made the 12" penetration mark.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Check this out

Here it shows the gelatin tests where some Ballistic Tip style bullets made the 12" penetration mark.

Yeah, as long as they are wearing heavy clothing or standing behind plywood it would seem like a decent load.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Check this out

Good information - Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check this out

Good information - Thanks!

Funny how the AE223 seems to hold its own against the other ammo.

ETA, thanks for the info and the hard work Troy!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check this out

Good information - Thanks! hr

ETA, thanks for the info and the hard work Troy!!

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's like an underloaded M193.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's like an underloaded M193.

I know what it is, it just seems counterintuitive that a FMJ can perform anything like a SP, HP, BT, what have you.  I think it is part of the stigma that some folks have against the AR platform.  

I mean there is a HUGE difference between FMJ and HP in handgun ammo, and it is hard not to extrapolate that to Rifle ammo.  

Not to mention all the stories and gun store theoreticians telling me that 5.56 just poked little holes like an icepick etc. when i was first getting into guns.

I have known the reality of it for a while, but it still amazes me.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
To Troy or anyone that can answer this:
    I have been checking out the Winchester 64 Gr Power Point and the Federal 64 Gr Soft Point.  THe data is almost the same, except the Winchester has a slight edge in penetration in gelatin.  I also checked out the prices on these and there is an amazing difference.  I can get the Winchester for approximately $13 for 20 rounds and the Federal for about $7.50 for 20 rounds.  I purchased a box of each and also a box of the Federal 60 Gr Nosler Partition to check out, but it will be a couple of weeks until I can check the accuracy, which is a major concern for me.  I want to test them out against the Hornady 5.56 75 GR TAP.  Do you have any opinions on the soft point ammo?  I read the posted stiff here that indicated the Power Point is very good, but I was looking for information on accuracy and comparison with some of the other soft point ammo I indicated above.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks and Tag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there any avaiable data for the Cor Bon 53 gr DPX load?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
    I have been checking out the Winchester 64 Gr Power Point and the Federal 64 Gr Soft Point.  THe data is almost the same, except the Winchester has a slight edge in penetration in gelatin.  I also checked out the prices on these and there is an amazing difference.  I can get the Winchester for approximately $13 for 20 rounds and the Federal for about $7.50 for 20 rounds.  I purchased a box of each and also a box of the Federal 60 Gr Nosler Partition to check out, but it will be a couple of weeks until I can check the accuracy, which is a major concern for me.  I want to test them out against the Hornady 5.56 75 GR TAP.  Do you have any opinions on the soft point ammo?  I read the posted stiff here that indicated the Power Point is very good, but I was looking for information on accuracy and comparison with some of the other soft point ammo I indicated above.

The only reason to use SP is for penetration and it will smoke 75 grain ammo as barrier ammo.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The only reason to use SP is for penetration and it will smoke 75 grain ammo as barrier ammo.

How will the Soft Points react in flesh?  Will it also go straight through a human body?  Which one will do more damage, a round that fragments or a soft point that mushrooms out?  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you, very informative.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I thought I seen WINCHESTER P.P. in 5.56mm awhile back? Maybe Troy knows?
I bet it would mush pretty good ?

I would like to try the solid copper bullets that Barnes makes or even DPX
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Soft-point bullets will mushroom, increasing the frontal diameter of the bullet and thus increasing the amount of tissue they will crush, compared to a non-expanding bullet.  The shifting of mass that occurs from the mushrooming also keeps the nose of the bullet forward, preventing bullet yaw.  This makes for a very predictable wound profile, which is why these bullets are so popular in hunting.

Generally, a fragmenting rifle bullet will cause much more tissue damage, though with a fragmenting bullet, you must also consider the depth of the large wound cavity.  If the bullet fragments too quickly to cause wound damage to at least 12" (typical of varmint bullets), or if the bullet fails to start yawing until 6 or more inches, then the area of maximum tissue disruption is not going to be where you need it.  This is what eliminates most bullets from consideration as suitable combat loads, though it should be understood that most of those bullets were designed for other purposes besides combat, and usually meet the requirements of their original design goals.  It shouldn't be a surprise that bullets designed for varmint shooting have a wound profile that makes them best suitable for shooting varmints (and not for combat), or that bullets designed for shooting larger game are best suited for shooting larger game (and not for combat).

It's all about matching the bullet to the application.

-Troy

I like the idea of a round that mushrooms out because it is usually more predictable, but at the same time, I don't want to give up too much accuracy.  I'm going to test out the Winchester Power Point, Federal 64 Grain Soft Point, and the Federal 60 Gerain Nosler Partition against the Hornady 75 Grain TAP and if the accuracy is comparable, I'll see if I want to switch.  I can get the Federal ammunition dirt cheap from a guy here in NJ, but I just want to make sure it is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check this out

Yeah, as long as they are wearing heavy clothing or standing behind plywood it would seem like a decent load.

Even the bare gelatin penetration was 11.5"...whoopydy doo.

Heavily clothed?....Are you expecting to shoot only naked intruders?
Look at the "neck" of these wounds?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Troy,
Is there any load data for those heavy rounds?  I thought I read them here, the Oracle or the FAQ but I can't find them now.  Interested in the 68gr OTM.  Sorry if it's right in front of me, I'm temporarily down to one eye.
Thanks much!
Matthew
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Troy mentioned in the original post that .223 Hornady TAP 75 gr may work in some 1:9 twist barrels.  I have a Rock River with a chrome lined 16-inch barrel and 1:9 twist.  I was wondering if anyone has tried this ammo with the same barrel length and twist and what kind of results you got.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Troy,

Any recommendations for ammo (aside from M193) for rifles with 1/12 twist barrels?  

Im from the Philippines and most of our rifles are M16A1's with 10, 14.5, and 20 inch barrels.  What would be the heaviest bullet we can accurately use with this rate of twist? Any suggestions for OTM or soft point bullets for our rifles?

Great contribution and great work as always!

Thanks.

Frontsight  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a 16 inch chrome lined bushmaster barrel with a 1-9 twist. I load 75 bthp and 75 amax using VV powder. I do very well with these loads and shoot about .5 moa at 100 yds. Best advice would be to try different loads and see which one performs the best.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Troy,

Thank you for the info.  So a 1/12 twist barrel can stabilize up to a 60 grain bullet?  I will try the ammo you suggested.

How about the 52 grain OTM bullets?  Are these any good?

Thanks

Frontsight
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Troy,

Thank you for the info.  So a 1/12 twist barrel can stabilize up to a 60 grain bullet?  I will try the ammo you suggested.

How about the 52 grain OTM bullets?  Are these any good?

Thanks

Frontsight

Are you sure about that?  1 in 12" sure doesn't stabilize a 62 grain bullet.

The problem with lighter weight stuff is that it doesn't want to penetrate well, and 52 grain OTM, 53 grain match HP, all of those bullets share the same problem.  193 ball is probably about as as good as it could get.  Other good loads, but pricey, would be Corbon 53 grain DPX and Federal 55 TBBC.  

These have an adavantage over OTMs anyway when barriers are in play.  OTMs really don't do very well against auto glass or sheetmetal, not sure if that's a consideration for you.  About all you can say in those scenarios is that heavy OTM sucks less than other loads, but none of them do well.  Those are tough scenarios though, that's not a knock on 5.56, that's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Troy,

Thanks for the good work.

I'll hang onto my varmit ballistic tip bullets just in case the Somalians or similar zombies want to come to my house for payback.  Six inches of Somali-type targets = pass through!

John
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#38]
This is just what i was looking for. Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Troy.  Quick question.  Is the Federal T223E (55 Grain BTHP), a good duty round?  My department was thinking about going to it since they could get them for $350 per 1000k.  It seems that some departments here in the East use it because they fragment at a low velocity.  I tried to convince them to use the Hornady 75 grain 5.56 TAP, but they didn't want to pay that kind of money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Troy.  Quick question.  Is the Federal T223E (55 Grain BTHP), a good duty round?

Not particularly.  If it fragments, it underpenetrates.  And it actually doesn't fragment at especially low velocities.  Assuming you aren't stuck with 1:12-twist rifles (many departments use surplus M16/M16A1s), you would be better off with one of the other loads in this thread.

-Troy

I thought that the T223E penetrated 11.25 inches.  That is according to the Federal Site.

Federal Rifle Data.
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Troy,

What do you think would be the best bet for a 9.2 inch 1-in-9 twist barrel (Kel-Tec PLR-16)?  Does it have any potential at all to be anything other than a range toy?
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Troy,
Do you know what the diffferances are, if any, between the Federal Tactical 55gr TBBC (.223) &
Federal Premium 55gr TBBC (.223) other than availability?

Thanks for all the great info!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Troy,

What do you think would be the best bet for a 9.2 inch 1-in-9 twist barrel (Kel-Tec PLR-16)?  Does it have any potential at all to be anything other than a range toy?

Not really.  I mean, don't get me wrong; it could easily kill someone, but no load is going to pass FBI testing specs from that short of a barrel with a 1:9 twist.  The only bullets that stand a chance need a faster twist rate, and even then, they'd be quite limited in fragmentation range.  Besides, weren't most folks finding that velocity was a little low in those guns compared to an AR, barrel inch per barrel inch?

-Troy

I don't know what people are getting in the real world, but Kel-Tec says 2600fps with M193.

Link Posted: 4/26/2006 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Troy,

Not really.  I mean, don't get me wrong; it could easily kill someone, but no load is going to pass FBI testing specs from that short of a barrel with a 1:9 twist.  The only bullets that stand a chance need a faster twist rate, and even then, they'd be quite limited in fragmentation range.  Besides, weren't most folks finding that velocity was a little low in those guns compared to an AR, barrel inch per barrel inch?

-Troy

I don't know what people are getting in the real world, but Kel-Tec says 2600fps with M193.

Where did you get those figures?

All I found were their figures with M855:
Kel Tec says 2650fps with thier 12" barrel, their 9" only gets 2500fps with M855
(http://www.kel-tec.com/su16d.html)

Edited to add
Nevermind I found it in their pistol section!
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Might be off subject?

Federal TBBC 55gr

VS

Federal Nosler Partion 60gr.

In the catalog I have it says the Nosler is like 60FPS faster?

I want a Bullet that just mushrooms and dont loose its weight.

I need a little stock of SP on hand since I have none period
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top