BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry bro, but the AR should not have enough recoil to cause that. Especially after so few rounds. Even my 9 year can take more abuse than that.

Link Posted: 6/15/2008 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any advice for a guy with a dainty wife that wants her to be able to defend herself?

Buy her an M1 Carbine.

+1
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're a bleeder.

And I hate bleeders.  Trivia; what movie?  Starts with a "V" and it's about wrestling.  I forget the opponents name.  I should be working out with a log like that guy.

Couple things here.  

I was shooting mostly prone, which is why the marks are where they are.  Which I already covered.

That IS an A1 stock, it's not about fit for me.  Yes, that stock will be too long for my son.  My son shot it with a different lower and an adjustable buttstock.

Quib, your family can beat up my family, no doubt about it.

I was thinking about a 9mm, but I've heard others say the recoil is almost as stout, because it's a blowback operation.  Not gas.  An M1 carbine is a gas system and that softens some of the recoil.

I'm going to order a 9mm buffer and put my telestock back on there, but the buffer in there with the fixed stock is the heaviest you can get.

I guess the shoulder thing isn't the best way to approach this subject.  I have a garand and M1A and always felt them to be manageable.  To me, those have more of a heavy push.  Where as this carbine has more of a sharp snap.  Kind of like the difference between a .45 and a .40.  Or so I'm told.  (I don't own a .40)  Either way, it's fine for me, but I know my wife would have a hard time with it.  But I've got some good ideas to help with this.

Do those rubber butt pads that you slide over your tele stock do anything?  It always annoys me when rubber is so sticky it kind of gets hung up when positioning on your shoulder.  But, I could see if you're shooting alot of rounds, it may give you a little relief.

What is Vision Quest for 400 Alex?

Ding, ding, ding, you win a cupie doll!!!!!!!!!!  

Obviously some of you can't read.  I know, you just looked at the pics.  But this was more about my wife and kid.  If it does that to me, my wife aint gonna like it.  I'm not as worried about my son.  He's still a little too young anyways.  

I know I'm not as hard as I used to be.  I gotta do more vision quest training.

I'm popeye the sailor man, and I eat a lot of spinach, that's why I'm so skinny.  LOL!
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If it leaves Bruises like that,
Try one of the new endinine type Buffers, Brownelles has them. Not sure how to spell it.
MGI has one too, though they are not all they cheap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Harv24.  The collapsible is already back on there.  I did that more to see how I liked it.  I actually liked it that way but I like the lighter weight of the M4 Stock.  I may try one of them rubber thingies though.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
JJREA, I aint even gonna say it...

I realized I was really opening myself up for some good ribbing.  Thought I'd spice up the place for a day.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
At least he is another shooter and not some liberal wuss half retarded gun-hater. We don't have to give him such a hard time, though I can tell some of you were just joking around nothing wrong with that :-). I bet you'll know each other pretty well since you'll have so many posts, but to a newb it looks just like any other forum with haters.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
At least he is another shooter and not some liberal wuss half retarded gun-hater. We don't have to give him such a hard time, though I can tell some of you were just joking around nothing wrong with that :-). I bet you'll know each other pretty well since you'll have so many posts, but to a newb it looks just like any other forum with haters.

There's a few that I have no clue who they are and are obviously "tough guys" that didn't even read my post, just looked at the pics.  But alot of us kind of know each other and I know I'd get a lot of crap for those pics.  But it is what it is.  It helped me thing about solving my problem.  I still have to figure out how to get my M1 Carbine to run really well.  Thank you for the concern and welcome to the site!!!!

You have to wade through some B.S. if you want the gems.  But they're here.  The challenge is learning to know what is B.S. and what isn't, when you might not know much to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't see anything about a m1 carbine problem, I've had my hand in building 6 of them, whats the problem with it? 2 of the 6 have cycling problems, probably poor head space. They got put aside after my dad passed, we were working on them together, but still might be able to help.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
A favorite firearm I shoot is my Mossberg 500A Persuader 12ga shotgun.  I go though a couple boxes of slug shells with no problems.  My Entry Tactical is like shooting a .22LR after that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I didn't see anything about a m1 carbine problem, I've had my hand in building 6 of them, whats the problem with it? 2 of the 6 have cycling problems, probably poor head space. They got put aside after my dad passed, we were working on them together, but still might be able to help.

Aaaaaah.  You didn't read everything either.

I've had an M1 Carbine for a while.  I love the thing to death.  I was actually going to make it my Go to Gun for defense and maybe do a little hunting with it.  BUT:

I can never get the thing to run anywhere near as good as an AR.  Every range session I've had it chokes.  Same with my Dad's  I've rebuilt my bolt, after that, the ejecter plunger busted and I had to replace that a second time.  I've rebuilt 3 magazines with a brownells rebuild kit and I had one NIW mag and only use them.  At first I was having double feeds galore, but now that only happens with the crappy mags.  Especially these 30 rounders that probably aren't usgi.  I get a stovepipe almost every time.  I've replaced the op slide spring.  The trigger return spring, and the safety bar fell out once and I had to replace that.  It's a standard products.  I love the carbine to death, it's accurate enough and powerful enough, but I don't trust it, therefore I'm not going to give it to my wife and trust it to serve her.  IF I could get it to run, it would be the ideal carbine for my wife and son, and even I like it alot.  Maybe I should by another one from the CMP and give it a go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A favorite firearm I shoot is my Mossberg 500A Persuader 12ga shotgun.  I go though a couple boxes of slug shells with no problems.  My Entry Tactical is like shooting a .22LR after that.

Well, I definitely used to get bruises after shooting a round of trap.  But I only wore a Tshirt then too.  But yeah, an AR feels like nothing compared to that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Try the Nagant m-44 recoil isnt too bad on those. Only prob is the 5rd internal mag.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
But really guy when i was in basic the DS shot an m16 off his chin and nuts. I think those bruises are from family violence or maybe you burned yourself with the curling iron again
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
JJ, It looks like you place your stock high on your shoulder.  I'm not saying it's wrong, do whatever works for you.  

I place the top corner/edge of the buttstock lower and closer to my chest, in the area just under my collarbone.  Take note of the arrow on your pic:

I probobly still get marks from it, but they don't hurt, so I don't care.
It is more comfortable than if I placed the stock against bone though.  

Placing the stock lower may require "tucking" your head down some, but I tuck my head down a little shooting pistol also.  So it feels normal to me..
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If your looking at something that can effectively kill recoil, this is it.
I used this in a shotgun class with 1200 rnds, no bruising.
It tames my .358 Norma

Well worth the money.

disclaimer I have never used it with an AR.

www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1985.html
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Recoil!!!!  

I get bruises like that from the shoulder strap on a duffle bag!

+1 Someone needs to toughen up.
Pat
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
dude are you really bitchin about the recoil of an ar? I have a full spine fusion from my pelvis to the base of my skull and can shoot it all day long and have no issues. Seriously grow some balls then come back
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I definitely used to get bruises after shooting a round of trap.  But I only wore a Tshirt then too.  But yeah, an AR feels like nothing compared to that.

Speaking of Mossy's....I sold an M500 Persuader 18.5" to a friend from ROTC. It has the Knoxx Compstock installed (the one with the M4 type stock). We compared/shot his side by side with my M590 (which has the factory Mossy shoulder stock) 20". We shot 00 Buck and mixed High/Low Brass shot. You could tell a big difference in the recoil using the Knoxx stock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Grow some muscles.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Tulip.

My son, age 5.  No whining (also no finger on the trigger till I was in position to help).

Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You might consider working out an putting some meat on your frame.  Those bruises are caused by the buttstock smashing thin muscle tissue against solid bone.

This is what I was going to post almost word for word..

Muscle on top of bone would greatly reduce bruising IMO.

If your wife is more muscular than you, she'll be OK!
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I get marks like that after a couple hundred 12 gauge shots at clay targets.  Usually its due to a wrinkle in my shirt causing more pressure in one area.

I would bet if you tried an under armour stretch shirt or a tight fitting tee shirt you would see less of that. sure you might still have a little redness, but it will go away before you get your rifle cleaned and put away.

btw, how long after shooting was this taken?
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I get marks like that after a couple hundred 12 gauge shots at clay targets.  Usually its due to a wrinkle in my shirt causing more pressure in one area.

I would bet if you tried an under armour stretch shirt or a tight fitting tee shirt you would see less of that. sure you might still have a little redness, but it will go away before you get your rifle cleaned and put away.

btw, how long after shooting was this taken?

Next Day.  

It's really just a hickey from my wife and I wanted to show it off.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
dude are you really bitchin about the recoil of an ar? I have a full spine fusion from my pelvis to the base of my skull and can shoot it all day long and have no issues. Seriously grow some balls then come back

No, I'm not bi@#@$#$ about the recoil of an AR.  Reading is fundamental.  I thought shooting it was quite enjoyable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Well you're right its not a .22 LR. It really has no recoil compared to even a .270 bolt gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
happy fathers day, quib..... you da man.

Thank you!  
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#28]
It IS your technique that's wrong. Everyone knows that EBR's are only meant to be fired from the hip so you can "spray bullets." So sayeth Dianne Feinstein, et al.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have to agree that the AR is not ideal for young ones...........

Below is my daughter at age 8, shooting my sons carbine. During her shooting, I held the hand guards as a safety precaution to keep her pointed down range, but she did the rest on her own.
ETA: Eight years old and no crying, no wining about recoil, and no bruises you pansies!    

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/100_3320.jpg

I think the part you missed is the "not ideal". It's great that you let her shoot it and that the recoil didn't bother her but if you have to stand there and hold it for her then it's not an "ideal" way for her to learn.

My son has always been a big boy for his age and at 8yo, he could have easily held and shot an AR without any assistance but in my mind, why? At that age and point in his life, all he needs to be doing is learning the basics and no round is better for that then the .22LR IMO

I think you missed this part of my post:  "I held the hand guards as a safety precaution to keep her pointed down range, but she did the rest on her own."  
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok I got bored reading this post, but I will thow my 2 cents in, hopefully noone else has commented on this.

I competed in smallbore rifle in my younger years, during practice we would shoot aprox 100-200 rounds.  Prone, sitting and standing....wearing a NRA approved shooting jacket. I got a bruise almost every time.  Its not the amount of recoil but the repeated tapping.  Take your finger and poke yourself 200 times, doesnt hurt at the time, but can bruise.

OMP

Link Posted: 6/15/2008 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
A Maxi-pad on the buttstock will cushin the recoil a little.

Just kidding !!!  It won't help much.

Joking aside...
Looks like the guns holding the gun was holding the gun to tight against the guns shooting shoulder.  The factory buttstock has an agressive grip that will tear your arm up if your only wearing a t-shirt and you pull the gun in tight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
A Maxi-pad on the buttstock will cushin the recoil a little.

+1. Seriously.  Shoot a bb gun if you want no recoil.

For a new shooter, a .22lr is obviously the place to start.

I started on a bb gun, went to a pellet gun, then a .22lr, then straight to 30.06 and 12 gauge.  I never even owned a .223 for over 30 years until the BRD set it.  I really have to laugh when the subject of recoil comes up with the AR.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#33]
In the world of center fire long guns the AR basically has no recoil.  

If I shoot a couple hundred rounds through mine during a day I’ll get the same marks but they are nothing compared to 50 rounds with my 300 win mag. which leaves not only red marks but a blue purple sore area......  Of course with the price of ammo I don’t shoot the 300 50 times, it hurts my pocket far more than my shoulder.  

Don’t sell you significant other short, I’ve taught quite a few women to shoot and once we get past the basics of holding the firearm they generally do really well and I’ve yet to have one bitch about the bruising although a couple of them had some nasty looking cover the entire shoulder bruises when we got done.  

just my .02
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I know this is way late and I didn't read all the posts up to this point but I have this to say.

Get a muzzle break! They help a ton. However you had better make sure you are wearing hearing protection or else you will be deaf in no time.

From my experience...this thing right here feels like a Ruger 10/22. Little to no recoil and I love it!

Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#35]
!!!MEDIC!!!

seriously though
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know much, but I do know that my brother's early-1980's 20" I could hold the butt-plate up to my chin and fire, single-handed;  I wouldn't attempt that with my carbine.

Depends on the load, too - military loads kick noticeably stronger.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I could let my 10 yr old show ya how..his main gn now is a bolt 223. it kick alot harder than a Ar and he takes pdogs at 300yds with it. seriously 60rnds  sorry Dude I am blown away I really dont even know what to say that wouldnt be rude and condensending cause its just never happened to me not even on those ong days on the range..even after a 1200 rnd day I didnt even get a bruise...
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#38]
For some reason I don't want your post to be the last before my thread goes into oblivion.  Maybe we can get some more tough guys to post.  Or some people that actually read.

Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#39]
manup
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#40]
With a little practice, your wife should be able to shoot an AR with no problems. Many other wives, girlfriends, and even young children do. Stop scaring her with a few minor bruises. Let her practice. If she needs a little padding to start...get her some. She'll soon be shooting the AR in T-shirts, bikini tops, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I still think a proper running M1 carbine may be a better choice.  Except the AR has alot better ergonomics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Terminal ballistics on a .30 Carbine rd blows

Stick with 5.56mm and get that damn fixed A-1 stock off there and get a Adjustable stock with a but pad.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#43]
What is this world coming to???? Back in basic we would demo the M16A1 full auto with the stock against our groin. Never anyone complained about recoil. and that was full auto. but then again that was in "69" when you would still get a boot in the behind if the DI felt like it. the time to talk things out wasn't around yet. LOL  ask an old grunt or jar head if the recoil caused brusing and they would just laugh at you. Take acouple of rounds with a Barrett 50 cal. and then go back to the M4. you will see the recoil disapeare. miracles do happen
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I've had an M1 Carbine for a while.  I love the thing to death.  I was actually going to make it my Go to Gun for defense and maybe do a little hunting with it.  BUT:

I can never get the thing to run anywhere near as good as an AR.  Every range session I've had it chokes.  Same with my Dad's  I've rebuilt my bolt, after that, the ejecter plunger busted and I had to replace that a second time.  I've rebuilt 3 magazines with a brownells rebuild kit and I had one NIW mag and only use them.  At first I was having double feeds galore, but now that only happens with the crappy mags.  Especially these 30 rounders that probably aren't usgi.  I get a stovepipe almost every time.  I've replaced the op slide spring.  The trigger return spring, and the safety bar fell out once and I had to replace that.  It's a standard products.  I love the carbine to death, it's accurate enough and powerful enough, but I don't trust it, therefore I'm not going to give it to my wife and trust it to serve her.  IF I could get it to run, it would be the ideal carbine for my wife and son, and even I like it alot.  Maybe I should by another one from the CMP and give it a go.

My personal carbine never gave me that much trouble, I just hand selected my parts from about 6 parts kits. If your ejector and extractor are in good shape, I would bet money it is a gas system or headspace problem. Or the slide spring is too strong or too weak.

If it were mine I would shoot it without a clip hand feeding it over and over and see if it still stovepiped. If it does then you know something other than the magazines are causing problems. I would also video tape it cycling to see if I can see how the problem occured. Using Hotter loads might help the problem, and it wouldn't hurt to try weaker loads, you never know what it will like.

I mounted a NV scope on my carbine awhile back and it turned a great gun horrible. I used a basic carbine scope mount that fits into the rear sight. Since my scope is big and bulky it hangs over the bolt. Whenever I fire the rounds hit the bottom of the bolt and get caught back in the bolt causing a jam. So if you are runnnig a scope on it, something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have to agree that the AR is not ideal for young ones...........

Below is my daughter at age 8, shooting my sons carbine. During her shooting, I held the hand guards as a safety precaution to keep her pointed down range, but she did the rest on her own.

ETA: Eight years old and no crying, no wining about recoil, and no bruises you pansies!    

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/100_3320.jpg

Yeah My Daughter as well
who now is 11yrs old

Loves shooting and is good at it as well!

I however after a long day of shooting My BACK UP M4

VLTOR TeleStock.Bushy lower
LMT 14.5 M4 upper
arms 40
551 IFFY TECH

I DO GET A VERY SMALL RED MARK!!!  

But when shooting my Factory LMT M4 with SOPMOD
I dont seem to get a mark

Maybe cause of the combo of a 9mm buffer and the awesome SOPMOD BUTT PAD
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Get rid of that goofy A-1 stock you love so blindly and get a adjustable with a rubber but pad... problem solved.
It fits you, and can be fitted to the Wife and Son...

You got to many sacred cows in need of butchering....

I myself like the A1 stock over the A2

But  a SOPMOD or the NEW VLTOR would be a better option (IF its Legal in the state)
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If it leaves Bruises like that,
Try one of the new endinine type Buffers, Brownelles has them. Not sure how to spell it.
MGI has one too, though they are not all they cheap.

RRA 25 9mmm buffer

I can tell a BIG Difference between my 2 LMT M4`s
one has a H buffer the other 9mm buffer
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 2:18:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Terminal ballistics on a .30 Carbine rd blows

Stick with 5.56mm and get that damn fixed A-1 stock off there and get a Adjustable stock with a but pad.....

I like the M1 also
Its my Fathers Favorite military type weapon
maybe cause he used it in the military, I duno
With the right load the 30carbine can do its job ! according to GEL TEST
 (DPX by corbon)

Plus most REAL shootings are up close range
wich you already know

wich is one reason I dont mind useing a short barrel on a AR15
Even a 10.5 and 75gr OTM
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I put 120 rounds through my 12ga shooting skeet on sat morning.  I followed that up with 85 rounds through my AR.  My shoulder is fine.  Looking at your picture I'll have to challenge your "technique BS" line.  How/why is there a bruise so far on the outside of your shoulder?  I'm not talking about larger/more red part...the little one almost to the end of your shoulder?  Even prone the stock of your rifle should not be so far out.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#50]
My Ishapore .308, Enfield Jungle Carbine and Mosin M44s all have recoil.  My Bushmaster A20 doesn't.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top