BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Update on my replacement mags. Got 50 CProducts mags. The finish looks as good as or better than the old Center/Adventureline prebans. Welds look tighter. Feedlip area looked fine initally but turned out to be different from my GI mags...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 15 of these mags dated 9/05 with green followers and 30 of them dated 10/05 with the brown magpul followers. So far I have tested 5 of them and they feed fine in my Bushy M4 and my LMT.  I have not tested all of them. I never dreamed there would be a problem with these mags with all the good reviews they have gotten. The problem I have with every one of them is they scatch the hell out of the bullet and brass on every round that comes off the right side feed lip and into the chamber. Pretty much just like the shells in the photo at the top. It seems to me that a scratch this size on the bullet itself would also scrathch the hell out of my barrel (chrome lined). Can anyone say for sure that this could ruin a barrel or a chamber? I always keep very good care of my weapons and this just down right Scares the Hell out of me to put a round in the chamber like that. I think I should send them back.

NOTE: All 45 of my mags are marked with DSG floorplate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Since there are 2 of these posts that are similar I will report my initial findings here also:

Note: Perhaps DSG mags are not having the same problems as D&H??? I thought they were both made by D&H with different floorplates?

Just returned from the range. Tested 2 DSG mags with dates of 7/05 and 11/05. I could have taken one of my few marked 12/05 but to me they all look exactly the same. Yes, they have the gently curving inward section which is more pronounced on the right side, but there are no burrs and the inside edges are no sharper than any other mags I have. I loaded the mags up and hand cycled from a closed bolt and then fired one round. Drop mag, eject the chambered round, and then load back to capacity and repeat. I did this several times and then gave up and just shot the mags out. I experienced no failures of any kind. My mags were purchased from Rusty and Talon Arms. I have corresponded with DSG via email about these threads and they would very much like to see any mag that will not function returned to them. At this point I can see no reason to do so- they function perfectly.

ETA: I also inspected the fired casings and found no scratches at all. I can see how that would happen if the bolt was ridden forward slowly, but in my case, charging the first round and firing the rounds did not cause scratches.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I did end up with problems with my replacement mags...sheeze. I'm about to go absolutely nuts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I did end up with problems with my replacement mags...sheeze. I'm about to go absolutely nuts.

What kind of problems are you having?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of problems are you having?

Check your IM. I didn't want to make a fuss and name names til I was positive it's a magazine problem (which I'm about 95% sure it is)...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also to be sure everyone is one the same page -

Here is what we know - This relates to DSG branded magazines specifically - questions about D&H branded mags should be posed to your dealer or distributor. We have no information about what other dealers may or may not be doing...

1. DSG's mags have not experienced any widespread problems as threads like this would lead you to believe. Customers of other dealers selling magazines on this site could be seeing a significantly different product I suppose - but I would certainly question how that could occur.

4. I will confess that we do not hand cycle weapons with live ammo to determine function. Testing is live fire only.

5. We have seen a demonstration by a customer of how a new mag with 30rds loaded can stumble on dry feeding  - especially on a non-feed ramped weapon. This can be exxagerated by a well used buffer spring competing against a new mag spring. So maybe a sharp edge is the answer to these posts, but again our live fire tests and overall customer feedback do not indicate a function problem. The sharp edge issue has been addressed to our mfr. If we receive any useful info we'll pass it along.

6. the original poster - billclo - has now reportedly received replacement mags from his dealer of a different brand - after basically trashing D&H - and now has a similar post started here discussing problems with this new brand as well - he's leaving out the brand name this time to avoid more misinformation. A good idea IMO.

Rusty, I'd like to address some of your points.

#1. I'm glad you haven't been seeing widespread problems. It's not in our best interest that there are. I understand you're just trying to protect your business interests; perfectly reasonable that you'd want to be SURE there was a problem before talking to D&H.

#4. Normally I don't manually cycle the mags either to test function. I just load them and go to the range. But when one is at the range, and encounters problems even getting the mags to load the first few rounds (and therefore can't live fire test properly), it tends to raise eyebrows.

#5. Unfortunately, not everyone has a M4-feedramped gun. Bushmaster doesn't make them to the best of my knowledge, and both of the rifles I tested the mags in are Bushmasters. One has about 1500 rds through it, and the other has about 1000. Not exactly old worn out guns or crapola quality Frankenguns. I have on the advice of some folk, ordered up new buffer springs and will report back after I get to test them. One gun I could see, but 2 guns is stretching things a bit as far as co-oincidence goes, IMO.

#6. I have done my best to be strictly factual, and am certainly NOT on a rampage to trash D&H.  If you would, please show me where I've not been factual.  I've never said that ALL D&H mags suck, just that their QC may be stumbling some, and that I don't trust the product right now.

If I were deliberately trying to stir up trouble, I certainly could do a better job. I can't control what follow-up posters have to say. If others weren't seeing the problem too, then my thread would be pretty short, or every response would be "you're crazy, they work fine in my guns". As you point out, the number of people saying they have problems is fairly low. But when they're YOUR personal mags (and spent over $500 for them), one tends to get a bit testy about the whole thing.

And if it were 2 50-mag batches bad with one particular gun, I could see one thinking it's the gun, but with 2 guns, same manufacturer?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And if it were 2 50-mag batches bad with one particular gun, I could see one thinking it's the gun, but with 2 guns, same manufacturer?

But now you are on your second batch of mags, this time from a different manufacturer, correct?:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=275178
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But now you are on your second batch of mags, this time from a different manufacturer, correct?:

Yes. I just got back from the range. Per a suggestion to test whether it's the mags or perhaps a weak recoil spring, I took 10 preban known good mags apart, put in fresh springs/green followers (the ones that came with the replacement mags). I shot 10 mags in the 20" rifle, and 10 mags in the 16" carbine. Before firing each mag, I hand-cycled the top 5 rds. Out of 20 mags, I had exactly 1 fail to feed. It was the top round on a FN mag, and I wasn't able to repeat it; probably a fluke.

All 600 rds fired, zero fail to feeds, zero problems of any kind. There was also no shavings in the chamber area, and I inspected the first 5 rounds that were hand-cycled. Very little marking on the slugs, unlike the replacement mags.

I'm going to see about getting my money back from the vendor, and just move on. I'll order up some Post-ban Center mags, maybe some Okays and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. I just got back from the range. Per a suggestion to test whether it's the mags or perhaps a weak recoil spring, I took 10 preban known good mags apart, put in fresh springs/green followers (the ones that came with the replacement mags). I shot 10 mags in the 20" rifle, and 10 mags in the 16" carbine. Before firing each mag, I hand-cycled the top 5 rds. Out of 20 mags, I had exactly 1 fail to feed. It was the top round on a FN mag, and I wasn't able to repeat it; probably a fluke.

All 600 rds fired, zero fail to feeds, zero problems of any kind. There was also no shavings in the chamber area, and I inspected the first 5 rounds that were hand-cycled. Very little marking on the slugs, unlike the replacement mags.

I'm going to see about getting my money back from the vendor, and just move on. I'll order up some Post-ban Center mags, maybe some Okays and see what happens.

Did you try the used springs and followers from the known "good" mags in the new mag bodies?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I kind of got lost reading this thread again, what appears to be the problem with the new mags?
If its the scratching of the brass, I have seen this in the past and its normal IIRC. Some bullets like the 45 gr JHP WWB will catch on poorly made mags like the T-65 steel mags.

I've only tested a few of the DH mags using a-zoom dummy rounds and I did not have any problems feeding the cartridges into the chamber. The sides of the case can get scratched up but it hasn't been a real concern.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I kind of got lost reading this thread again, what appears to be the problem with the new mags?
If its the scratching of the brass, I have seen this in the past and its normal IIRC. Some bullets like the 45 gr JHP WWB will catch on poorly made mags like the T-65 steel mags.

I've only tested a few of the DH mags using a-zoom dummy rounds and I did not have any problems feeding the cartridges into the chamber. The sides of the case can get scratched up but it hasn't been a real concern.

the new mags saga moved here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=275178

Bottom line is that neither brand works properly in my 2 Bushmaster rifles. (D&H, discussed in this thread, and the other brand, discussed there).

I got the okay to send the defective new mags back (at my cost, which is okay) and get a refund. Hopefully that'll all go smoothly, and this thread can die off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you try the used springs and followers from the known "good" mags in the new mag bodies?

I'm not sure what that would accomplish. I was trying to figure out whether it was a weak recoil spring unable to strip off mags properly from a mag with new springs. Old known good mags with new springs/followers = OK. New mags with new springs/followers = not at all OK.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I just tried manually feeding two A-Zoom snap caps using a 12-05 DH mag with the Magpul gen 2 followers (gray teflon). None of my mags have noticeable burs or weird bends. However, I did notice a scratch on the side of the "brass" that went from the bullet, past the neck, and all the way down to the rim. It looks like it was scratched by the barrel extension and not the mag.

Both snap caps fed properly and ejected properly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just tried manually feeding two A-Zoom snap caps using a 12-05 DH mag with the Magpul gen 2 followers (gray teflon). None of my mags have noticeable burs or weird bends. However, I did notice a scratch on the side of the "brass" that went from the bullet, past the neck, and all the way down to the rim. It looks like it was scratched by the barrel extension and not the mag.

Both snap caps fed properly and ejected properly.

That's possible if the rounds aren't being fed into the proper position. I ran across this with my second batch of mags; serious brass scraping, major scratching of the copper slugs with lots of debris in the chamber area, and lots of copper marking on the feedramps. When I retested with known good preban mags, no marking at all, no scrapes on the brass, and no copper flecks. For what it's worth...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone who knows anything of the subject knows D&H makes great Mags.
With that said - I have posted here about an issue I have with 11/05 D&H Mags, I will return them, describe that there is a bur or extra material on the front right lip that doesn’t allow the round to go home when the bolt is released, and hopefully the vendor will send me out replacement D&H Mags preferable with a different date stamp.
I own many D&H mags - they all run flawless - this is not at all typical of D&H mags just a fluke,
kinda like purchasing a Toyota that has an engine problem 99.8% of the time your safe.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I do not presume to know what your problem is, but a large number of a 50 mag lot purchased that will not function in a weapon is an odd thing - in any brand. Doing it a second time with a different brand is even more odd.

Its not that I think you are intentionally starting trouble, but I do think you have another problem of some sort - possibly over thinking your mags - and your cross posting into every other thread insinuating that D&H mags are selling bad lots of mags just fuels the BS. Users that have less experience will sit at home and hand cycle a mag and think its bad - they read it on the internet.

You don't need feedramps - BM includes the same mags you returned in every weapon sold.

These are mass produced metal stampings that cost .mil less than $10 so to think there's never a problem is wrong, but as I told you in another D&H thread you jumped on - to assume D&H puts out an inferior product is also incorrect.

I see FALARAK tagging up - maybe he can let us know if he's test fired his yet...

Rusty, I don't know what else I can say. I posted my experiences with the 2 brands. I didn't see you at either thread helping me diagnose the problem. If you're so knowledgeable, why not share it with those who need diagnosis of our problem - instead of insinuating that we're basically not right in the head?

Is it normal for one to not be able to get rounds to feed into the gun. On the range now, not in the basement hand-cycling? Is it normal for the second brand to leave huge marks on the feedramps, hang up, and leave major brass shavings in the chamber.

I posted good pics of the situation with the second brand, and even followed the advice given there. I can only conclude the second brand isn't up to par. As soon as I switched the supplied fresh springs/followers from the new mags into known good GI mags, the problem went away. It isn't the buffer springs on both rifles. Gotta be something with the mag bodies, as that was the only variable. I even contacted the maker of the second brand, sent pics of what I was seeing, sent pics of the feedlip are that I thought wasn't right, sent pics of a typical GI mag's feedlips. I asked him point blank are the feedlips supposed to be this way? If so, why are these lips rubbing like hell and causing misfeeds? Or if they aren't right, what shall I do about it? Never got an answer after asking twice. He danced around that issue entirely.

It's kinda like buying a car because the company has a great rep. You have nothing but trouble with it. Everyone says "nah, they have a good rep, you must be doing something wrong". But I bet it sours you on that brand and you wouldn't buy one again. Same situation here.

From my only experience with D&H, they aren't so hot. Compared to all my other mag brands: Center, Adventureline, Parsons, FN, they ARE inferior. I've had over 60 of those brands run right out of the package, no tweaking needed. No dremeling, no filing, nothing.

Since you seem to want to get personal, insinuating that I'm"overthinking" the mags, and are perhaps nuts, how about this: Other people than I are reporting actual problems with the mags at the range. My 2 guns run great on regular GI mags, and not these 2 brands. Just because they run 100% in your modified guns doesn't mean shit. FALARAK showed you that in person.

I think the issue is that because you have a vested interest in D&H mags (since you sell them), you tend to overlook the issues others report - they don't fit your experiences with them - and it threatens your bottom line. I gain nothing by bashing either company frankly, except hassle and expense having to deal with their product.

I'm going to stop participating in these threads now, since I've gotten alot more flak than support it seems. I don't know why I even bother raising questions anymore. I must just be nuts, yeah that's it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have a pic of their mag after a file or dremel job? I never got a chance to do anything with mine yet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I have seen bills mags(in person) and they are indeed as described.  He has been playing this game for a long time and knows if something as simple as a mag works or it doesn't.  

The man just has bad luck getting two  batches of bad mags from two different manufacturers.

With as many mags as these guys have been putting out lately its bound to happen!

Quoted:
I have no way of diagnosing your problem over the internet and my comment about 'over thinking' is a common saying around here and means only what it says - some things are not that complicated. No personal offense intended I assure you...

FALARAK did come and let me examine his mags - and I was glad to do so. Had you been here I would have done the same for you. I feel confident you would have left with a weapon and mags that would operate and you could be confident in.

Don't misunderstand me - I am not tryng to get personal, but when a user starts a discussion and then posts in other discussions that cast doubt on a product that we know to be functional - and then receives another brand and begins again - there is something else wrong IMO.

Quoted:

Rusty, I don't know what else I can say. I posted my experiences with the 2 brands. I didn't see you at either thread helping me diagnose the problem. If you're so knowledgeable, why not share it with those who need diagnosis of our problem - instead of insinuating that we're basically not right in the head?

Is it normal for one to not be able to get rounds to feed into the gun. On the range now, not in the basement hand-cycling? Is it normal for the second brand to leave huge marks on the feedramps, hang up, and leave major brass shavings in the chamber.

I posted good pics of the situation with the second brand, and even followed the advice given there. I can only conclude the second brand isn't up to par. As soon as I switched the supplied fresh springs/followers from the new mags into known good GI mags, the problem went away. It isn't the buffer springs on both rifles. Gotta be something with the mag bodies, as that was the only variable. I even contacted the maker of the second brand, sent pics of what I was seeing, sent pics of the feedlip are that I thought wasn't right, sent pics of a typical GI mag's feedlips. I asked him point blank are the feedlips supposed to be this way? If so, why are these lips rubbing like hell and causing misfeeds? Or if they aren't right, what shall I do about it? Never got an answer after asking twice. He danced around that issue entirely.

It's kinda like buying a car because the company has a great rep. You have nothing but trouble with it. Everyone says "nah, they have a good rep, you must be doing something wrong". But I bet it sours you on that brand and you wouldn't buy one again. Same situation here.

From my only experience with D&H, they aren't so hot. Compared to all my other mag brands: Center, Adventureline, Parsons, FN, they ARE inferior. I've had over 60 of those brands run right out of the package, no tweaking needed. No dremeling, no filing, nothing.

Since you seem to want to get personal, insinuating that I'm"overthinking" the mags, and are perhaps nuts, how about this: Other people than I are reporting actual problems with the mags at the range. My 2 guns run great on regular GI mags, and not these 2 brands. Just because they run 100% in your modified guns doesn't mean shit. FALARAK showed you that in person.

I think the issue is that because you have a vested interest in D&H mags (since you sell them), you tend to overlook the issues others report - they don't fit your experiences with them - and it threatens your bottom line. I gain nothing by bashing either company frankly, except hassle and expense having to deal with their product.

I'm going to stop participating in these threads now, since I've gotten alot more flak than support it seems. I don't know why I even bother raising questions anymore. I must just be nuts, yeah that's it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#27]
With multiple instances from multiple vendors, did you ever think it could be your weapon?  Things such as the mag catch location during production of the receiver and possible distortions in the magwell during machining can also affect feeding.  I own 10 D&H mags and all feed as well as my old moly coated USGI's.  I dont think your looking at the big picture of all the things that can go wrong and wish to blame the disposable comodities before blaming your weapon.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
With multiple instances from multiple vendors, did you ever think it could be your weapon?  Things such as the mag catch location during production of the receiver and possible distortions in the magwell during machining can also affect feeding.  I own 10 D&H mags and all feed as well as my old moly coated USGI's.  I dont think your looking at the big picture of all the things that can go wrong and wish to blame the disposable comodities before blaming your weapon.  

He already stated that he has tested them in two seperate rifles. I think one Bushy and one Colt.  Both rifles run fine with the dozens of pre-bans that  he has used, just not the new mags.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I am gonna chime in on this myself.  On the first page of this thread Dano posted a link to a thread I started back in January about having issues with my gun not loading ammo when I insert a new mag.   HE stated this was a known issue with these mags.   I had No failures to speak of other than my carrier didn't load ammo when I would release the bolt.  I had 10 new DSG mags and they all acted the same way but if I used my bolt release I had no issues.   Well today I got 5 new Okay Mags in I played with them some and they all did the same thing but ran fine other than that.  Is it an issue with the mags?  I don't think so.  So I have to say imo DSG mags are good as anything else and a great bargin.  I have some Cproducts on the way also to test this week.  Will I have similar issues with them well its likley.  Do I blame any mag manfucatures after testing a couple brands.  Nope not at all.   I also contacted Rusty and he told me if I had any issues to send them to him.  I appriciate his offer but I belive his mags are up to snuff.  

Anyway thats my view take it or leave it but I honestly don't belive their are  tons of bad mags out their like some people would claim.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top