AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
gunbroker.com has the BEAMSHOT 2000 for $499
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife got me an AimSHOT KT-81015 12 mw visible green laser. Man this thing is bright. At night, you can see the beam thru the air. You could easily use it to point out stars for everyone to see.
5 year warantee, and guaranteed to handle the recoil of a 12 gauge. Good thing too,because thats what mine is going on. I have it mounted to my Benelli M4.
The mount doesn't work very well with the Benelli, so I'm going to have to purchase a few items to get a proper mount system. I'm going with a Side Armor rail system. At the moment, I'm using their preasure pad switch under my left hand thumb on the fore end. My optic is an EOTech 552, and I've sighted it in at about 75 yards so the laser co-witnesses the center dot of the EOTech.  Remember, this is set up for shotgun ranges.
The AimSHOT uses one 123a Surefire battery.  The weight of the unit itself is very small. My guess would be under 4 ounces total. When I'm done adding my mounts though, it will grow.
This weapon is setup for home defense. I'm waiting for Surefire to release the modular rail system for the M4. I'm leaning towards putting a forward vertical grip on this weapon. I'd like to then add a Surefire weapon light with a thumb button. I think I'll use the tape switch on the vertical grip for the laser.
I'm unsure of which mount to get to hook it to the Side Armor unit though. I'd like to use a throw lever mount that maintains a zero. When I order the Side Armor unit, I will get the extended top rail so I can mount my EOTech further up on the shotgun.
Biggest overall benefit of the green 12mw laser is the superior visibility in the day time. Compared to my CTC grips with fresh batteries, the dot is visible far further with the green unit.
The adjustment system isn't the best. It has 4 hexnut screws that you adjust to align the diode which is protected under an end cap. It was easy to align though, just no set incriments such as, "quarter turn equals 1 inch at 100 meters."
In high dust or heavy fog, this thing will look like a light sabre. The light bloom will illuminate a dark room. Looking like a light sabre looks cool, but for real world use, it can have its drawbacks. Hoping and preying for shock and awe is a gamble when your life is on the line.
The stated visibility of this 12mw laser is 5 miles. I believe it.
Here is how bright the laser is, with the lights dim in my livingroom, my cat could see the laser traveling thru the air and was swiping at the illuminated dust particles that randomly flew by her head.
This laser, I would caution extreme safety with, I believe this laser could actually cause damage to your eyes fairly easily. Reflections and blow back are common with this high powered unit. I shined it on some x-mas decorations like garland, and I got an instant disco ball effect in my livingroom.
Any suggestions for a mount would be greatly apreciated.
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Eye damage is a scary thing with the high mW lasers!  
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
the pricing for the lasers is rediculous..  you can by a standard 5mW green laser pointer from atlasnova.com for $75 and even cheaper from him on ebay..  Or you can purchase some of the nicer lasers up to 20mW and higher for 160ish..  Last time i talked to him he had a 40mW..  prolly a few hundred bucks..  

A 20mW green laser will immediately cause retnal damage/blindness..  A 5mW will cause spots on the retna with a very short duration of direct light..

Here's a couple of shots of it..  not great, but you get the idea..  at night the beam is fully visible in houston's everyday humidity when pointed in your direction..   its not as easy to see the beam when its pointed away from you...  something to do with the way the light refracts.  however, you can see the beam completely on a humid night from any diretion..

It is very visible in fog..  looks like a bright green string slung out across the night

The dot is 100% visible at 50 yards in full daylight on just about any color background, including green..  black dulls the color significantly (obviously) since it doesn't reflect much light.  

I will be getting an 18-20mW soon..  there is no difference in the actual laser  besides a small percentage of the lasers having extremely good optics..  some places modify the green lasers output source which significantly reduces the life of the diode..  atlasnova's last a long time..  my current laser is flawless..  

http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser2.jpg

http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser1.jpg
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It would appear that like tracers, green lasers work both ways...

Eagles may fly, but weasels don’t get sucked into jet engines!
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought this was about Green Lantern, the Super Hero.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
took some more pictures for you guys...  if yer interested in bling bling, this is it..  i personally haven't mounted one of these on a gun..  i use it for astronomy..  I can  point the laser into the night sky so others can see the star i'm pointing to...  

I have a pressure switch for it, and might mount it just for fun/shtf situations..  i think the green laser pointed at your chest, with a visible beam would be much more frightening to a potential BG than a red dot he may or may not see on his chest..

it'd be fun, regardless..  dunno if its actual application..  

http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser3.jpg

Camera Flash on..  5 feet
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser4.jpg

bright halogen light that lights up my whole living room
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser5.jpg

half bedroom no steam, half hot shower steam
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser6.jpg

dissapated steam..  mostly laser, the spots are water particles
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser7.jpg

dissapated steam..  mostly laser, the spots are water particles
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser8.jpg

Steam in bathroom
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser9.jpg

one second exposure..  steam
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser10.jpg

lit up lamp fixture
http://www.noremorse.org/graphics/laser11.jpg

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
those are awsome pics... now i want one for a gun...
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya.. i must say it sure would be neat on a gun..  i play scenario paintball all over the country and finally got permission to use it as a prop during night ball..  

I'll be using it in february in Louisiana..  I'm hoping for high humidity.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Is anyone here able to retrofit the green lasers above into a firearms suitable housing that is currently a red laser?

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
i WANT one baaaaaad
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I have seen these mounted on AR's....and I've seen them used at night.  I didn't see ANY beam trail, and it worked very well on targets at 75 yards.  It's very bright.  The guy using the green beam I heard, made it himself though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have seen these mounted on AR's....and I've seen them used at night.  I didn't see ANY beam trail, and it worked very well on targets at 75 yards.  It's very bright.  The guy using the green beam I heard, made it himself though.

He likely had a low powered model. Probably sub 5mw power. Or, you witnessed the use in a very clear atmosphere.
At night, I can see a return from the laser for miles.
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is anyone here able to retrofit the green lasers above into a firearms suitable housing that is currently a red laser?

S.O.

You might be able to shoe horn it into some housings, but they are not built the same.  The reds use a single laser diode.  The green uses an IR diode and a crystal splitter (takes more room), they are more fragile, and they generate much more heat cause they use quite a bit more energy.  So if you did this, and if it actually fit in proper alignment, some cases would overheat and your battery life would be significantly reduced.

At anyrate, it's already available. The beamshot uses a weapons housing (as does others), the problem is the guts, not the housing/mount.  If you look at the green weapons laser from LAW, it's beefy, enough to mount on a M2HB .50BMG, but it's quite bulky (too bulky) - built like a tank though I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look a this one. It works...  I have one on my M4 mounted with a ARMS #22L ring

http://www.aimshot.com/vertanGreenLaserSights.php
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Where'd you get yours and what price range?
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
sportsmansguide has Green lasers! big $$$ $450

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=168835

GreenBeam™ 2000 Laser Sight, 20X BRIGHTER than red sights!

SAVE BIG!

Click image to enlarge...  
Visible range is 1 MILE at night, and 100 yards in broad daylight! For the serious shooter, this offers unmatched performance.

Brilliant idea:

532nm green laser diode, with exceptional glass optics
Dot size less than 1 3/4" @ 100 yds.
Operates with removable finger-touch pressure switch, with 10" cable
Durable 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum housing
Just under 4 1/4"l., 3/4" diam., weighs just 3 ozs., including CR123A lithium battery
Black anodized finish
Coin / screwdriver windage and elevation adjustment (to 3' @10 yds., 30' @ 100 yds.)
The first "True Daylight" Green Sight, here with a huge discount! Order ONLINE Now!

!!! Limited Quantities !!!

Beamshot™ GreenBeam™ 2000 Laser Sig
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Take a look a this one. It works...  I have one on my M4 mounted with a ARMS #22L ring

http://www.aimshot.com/vertanGreenLaserSights.php

that doesn't seem too bad, just too damn big for what I want. I'm looking for something when I finially get my little wannabe MP5 and put it on a side rail.

That looks huge, but I don't know.. it just might work.. Hrm

but wow that seems like alot of cash for an aimshot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's my little aimshot mounted with ARMS 22 throw levers.

This is the 12mw green laser.
The Aimshot is build well. It's been through about a 1000 rounds of 12 gauge, high base rounds since I got it last month. Holds a zero as well as your mount can. The mount it comes with sucks big floppy donkey dick.
I tried a mount from Beamshot, and it sucked as well. The problem is the body of the laser is 7/8" in diameter. Kind of an odd ball size.
So I got the ARMS 22 low mount rings, which are 30mm in diameter. I also got the spacers to take the ID to 1".
Then from a tip from a fellow member, I put 5 #14 plumbers o-rings over the body of the laser for each ring. So a total of 12 0-rings. It cost me about 3 bucks.
The ID of the o-rings were smaller then the housing, so I had to streach them over it. The OD of the rings is slightly larger then the 1" ID of the ARMS spacers. This makes it so you have to compress the rings over the rubber o-rings.  The outer portion of the ARMS mount compresses the inner ring whiles torquing down the screws. Everything was then locktited into place.

In theory, these rubber o-rings should give some shock isolation benefits. The laser is rock solid in the mount.  The mount holds a zero perfectly. I have the laser co-witnessed at about 50 yards with the center dot of the EOTech.

-Steve
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#20]
tag for more info
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
How much did that aimshot cost??????
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The aimshot with the 12mw base is about 600 bucks.
5 year warantee.

They have a 5mw version for about 150 less, but it is ghey.

-Steve
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I handled the Beamshot green laser at the SS this weekend. They tell me that they have fixed their laser diode burn out issues. It is a VERY bright laser for sure, but they need to do some work on the housing for it. They advised me that they were planning on fixing some issues with it soon (like the thumb screw windage/elevation hanging out in the breeze)! Once they come out with a better housing I will be stocking it (but not until then as I think it has issues).

C4

When they meet your standards, let us know, I'll pick one up from 'ya. I'd like not to have to mess with O-Rings, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#25]
The diode  burnout issue with the Greenbeam was corrected some time ago and generally at  shows we install batteries turn the unit on and let it run until we have to replace the batteries.  As far as the adjustment screws go they function properly for the windage, elevation and the lockdown screw but what we want to do is make the Greenbeam more user friendly as well as more streamlined.  We are going to incorporate a new adjustment system along with click type adjustments that will be similar to what is found on a rifle scope.  We will also eliminate the fins around the screws to give it the streamlined look and the GB will have a matte black finish.  These changes will be completed in the next few months.  The Greenbeam 2000 is a true weapon target aqusition tool unlike green laser pointers that are modified to attach to weapons.  The Greenbeam 2000 is currently being used by our troops in Iraq as well as other military and LE entities around the world.  We are also working with Mark Larue of Larue Tactical on different HD mounting systems.  Mark built the mount for the new SLAI-IR infrared spotlight /target designator that we introduced at the show.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Proper application of a Green Laser would not be for aim-pointing, but for blinding.

From a tactical perspective, light in the green wavelength frequency is much easier to see at night.  That's the way humans are wired, and for good reason.  Any light refliected from foliage on an otherwise dark night would have enabled our ancestors to see better as they were romping through the woods.  We've inherited that.

Now, that being said, using this on a tactical rifle would allow the enemy to see your beam and trace it back to...YOU.  

If you have a Green Laser, the best tactical application would be for it to be used as a blinding light against a combatant.  Period.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Think Smart, Live Longer.

Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#28]
That is the reason to employ a pressure pad switch.  Press the switch for momentary activation release to turn off
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Owning a green laser pointer myself, just for fun - I can tell you,  it is useful in many instances where a red laser is simply not visible. It is plain to see in bright daylight. If you wanted to use a laser on your weapon in daylight, a 12mw green would be perfect.

As soon as they get the size standardized, I'll pick one up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I want one of these badly...but with the "lasers shined at airliners" thing going on, I wouldn't be surprized to see these banned soon...that seems to be the way these things work.  

Grant, as soon as you get a line on a reliable 5MW/+ green laser, please let me/us know.
- C
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#31]
  I saw a special on TV the other night, something regarding Police/SWAT technologies, etc, as I was flipping through the channels. They were talking mainly about Tasers and showing videos of a nifty looking Taser target crackling with electricity, but they also showed a large green laser. It looked like a large 4-cell Maglight and projected a beam spot probably about 2 or 3 feet in diameter. They were practicing using it in pairs, with one officer using the beam to blind a target while the other covered with the Taser.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#32]
www.bemeyers.com/products.asp?catid=2&subcat=9&itemid=58

DAY TIME TARGETING ON .50 CAL HBMG AT A RANGE OF 1000 METERS

GBD-III, EARLY EVENING POINTING ACROSS LAKE, DISTANCE IS 7 MILES.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the red better!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I like the red better!

Did you even read all the postings on this thread? Red laser is not visible in daylight or over long distance.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
www.bemeyers.com/big/big_gbd3.jpg

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_GBD%20Day.jpg

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_gbd1.jpg

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_GBDWMT.JPG

I didn't see a price on that bad boy. Anyone know?

Bob
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Bob

be afraid...be very afraid...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#37]
it looks expensive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
it looks expensive.

Agreed.

I would like to know which wing of the Ky_Bob mansion I should mortgage off.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Bob

No clue.  BE Meyers usually does supply for military, long range target designation and night time IR illumination, stuff like that.  I'm sure the price is well above what I can afford.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.bemeyers.com/big/big_gbd3.jpg

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_GBD%20Day.jpg

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_gbd1.jpg

www.bemeyers.com/big/big_GBDWMT.JPG

Bob

What the hell are they using in that thing a doubled YAG gas laser?  

To make 532nm light they generally take an 808nm diode and excite a material to make 1064nm light.  They then send the 1064nm light into a doubling crystal (KTP) to make 532nm light.  This is why 532nm sources are hard to make because of the power needed and the internal optics need to be rock solid.  With a single diode either VIS (633 - 650nm) or NIR for NV (850 - 900nm) there are few problems because the diode is a single piece or single emitter and you don't have alignment and power problems.

Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#41]
just tagging it for interest!  Any new news on this?
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been told that green laser do not stand up well against recoil as compared to red laser.  Is that true?  If so, does anyone know why?

First time poster...
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Just read the rest of the thread.  As stated the requirements for a greenie are more complicated and thus delicate, as well as requiring more power meaning more heat which is bad juju for electronics.

I haven't heard of anything new.  It's a matter of if and when they can come up with a laser diode of the appropriate frequency just like a red one, then it will be on par as too durability.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Green lasers sure would look cool mounted on weapons...Altough I have read about green lasers before and from what I read, it seems that the actual beam of a green laser can be seen aside from just the dot it makes when it is put on something.  If you shine a red laser through smoke/mist, or something like that, you can see the actual laser beam which might be something like what a green laser looks like without smoke.

If this is true, granted it is just what I have read, Then a green laser might not be a good choice for a tactical tool seeing as how people could follow the laser beam back to its source.  ANyone else heard about this?
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#47]
If I were to purchase the Atlas Nova one, what mount should I use to mount it to an AR? (Just for "fun", not for "tactical" work. )
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#48]
This is my M4 with a green laser made in Hong Kong

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#49]
What kind of laser is it? (brand?)
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What kind of laser is it? (brand?)

They called it L85.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7162197901
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top