BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know someone who has a DPMS upper and I'm planning on ordering a V22 today or tomorrow.  I can check it out when I get it.

It sure is good to see you're willing to help out -- and it just might work out good for you too if it looks like the DPMS mag will work!
One thing I need to ask you to try though -- since it looks like the DPMS magazine has an extra little tab on the left feed ear you might want to try the V-22 mag in the DPMS upper and see if it will fit and feed -- it may not eject the cartridges from the DPMS because the V-22 magazine doesn't have that little extra tab on the left side. I don't think the DPMS mag will fit all the way into the V-22 due to that tab but compare them side-by-side.

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of the two types of mags when you get your V-22?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It sure is good to see you're willing to help out -- and it just might work out good for you too if it looks like the DPMS mag will work!
One thing I need to ask you to try though -- since it looks like the DPMS magazine has an extra little tab on the left feed ear you might want to try the V-22 mag in the DPMS upper and see if it will fit and feed -- it may not eject the cartridges from the DPMS because the V-22 magazine doesn't have that little extra tab on the left side. I don't think the DPMS mag will fit all the way into the V-22 due to that tab but compare them side-by-side.

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of the two types of mags when you get your V-22?

Will do.  I should have pictures next week sometime.  I wish those DPMS 25 rounders were in stock...  I imagine they will be in high demand for a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Will do.  I should have pictures next week sometime.  I wish those DPMS 25 rounders were in stock...  I imagine they will be in high demand for a while.

They will really be in high demand if it turns out the DPMS mag, with a minor modification, will work in the V-22!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am in the process of contacting a couple of manufacturers to see what can be done. I'm sure if there is enough interest, one of them may be talked into a small (1-2k) production run.

metoo,
    Did you have any luck trying to find somebody that would make the hi-cap mags for the V-22? Do you know if anybody had any luck contacting the Southern Gun company over in England about shipping to the States or maybe a group buy?

No luck yet. As mentioned previously, ProMag is supposed to release some 25-round molded plastic mags similar to the V22 10-round mags after the SHOT Show. No one seems to be interested in a run of stamped metal....all claim insufficient market.
I haven't had any reports from SGC.
Will have to piece something together myself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No luck yet. As mentioned previously, ProMag is supposed to release some 25-round molded plastic mags similar to the V22 10-round mags after the SHOT Show. No one seems to be interested in a run of stamped metal....all claim insufficient market.

metoo,
    I'm sorry I sidetracked your topic with the "make your own" magazine stuff. If you are lucky maybe yfs200 can verify that the DPMS mag will fit/work in the V-22. The DPMS mags cost like $50 for the 25 round mag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am in the process of contacting a couple of manufacturers to see what can be done. I'm sure if there is enough interest, one of them may be talked into a small (1-2k) production run.

metoo,
    Did you have any luck trying to find somebody that would make the hi-cap mags for the V-22? Do you know if anybody had any luck contacting the Southern Gun company over in England about shipping to the States or maybe a group buy?

Yeah I would agree with the market.
It will cost at least $5000-$7500 for tooling on plastic style mags for a 22lr AR...Just to recoup your tooling investment  you would have to sell at least 1000 mags.  I don't have any experience in stamp metal tooling, but I would expect it is pretty high too.

CNC Machined aluminum is the best for short runs, but the cost are much higher....at $50 to $75 a mag your going to lose half of your market, which only shrinks the small sales base.  Look at tacticalinc. com's 10/22 mag.  People always complain about the cost of those mags....they feed and fucntion perfectly (from what I hear) but the price is the only bad point (I hear).

Now if someone developed a mag that would work in 2-3 different conversion systems, then you have a potential for larger sales and maybe enough to purchase tooling.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

metoo,
    I'm sorry I sidetracked your topic with the "make your own" magazine stuff. If you are lucky maybe yfs200 can verify that the DPMS mag will fit/work in the V-22. The DPMS mags cost like $50 for the 25 round mag.

Hey, I don't mind...especially if it leads to more info on creating mags for these things!!
Must have more ammo!!!  Wish it could be full-auto too !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

metoo,

I live only about 30 miles from SGC. I use the 30rd mags in my V22.
I'll take a drive at the weekend and see if he will ship to you guys.

Roger
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks rbecks !

Boy, oh boy...30 rounders!!
Must.....have......more.............

Hey, I wonder........two of these end-to-end.........  

Sorry, kind of carried away.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
rbecks,

I was wondering if you made that drive this weekend?  A lot of us are hanging on the ends of our seats waiting to hear if we are going to be able to get our "fix" from/through/by you!!!

Love to hear that the connection is established!!!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
rbecks,

I was wondering if you made that drive this weekend?  A lot of us are hanging on the ends of our seats waiting to hear if we are going to be able to get our "fix" from/through/by you!!!

Thanks.

Yep, i did make the drive.
Bob is over your neck of the woods at the moment for a couple of weeks.
I will see him when he comes back.

Roger
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Bob is probably over here for the Shot Show in Vegas, I have a buddy headed that way and have given him the name "Southern Gun Company" and guidance as to what I am looking for, if I am right, maybe the international connection can be established...my fingers are crossed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#14]
any news yet ? is bob back yet?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Subsciption to this thread...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone heard anything from Promag? It is after the Shot show.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
rbecks,

Thanks.

Yep, i did make the drive.
Bob is over your neck of the woods at the moment for a couple of weeks.
I will see him when he comes back.

Roger

Hey rbecks, you still around?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yfs200,

Any luck on experimenting with DPMS mags and the V-22 Upper...this thread has gone quiet with lots of us looking to satisfy our large capacity appetite!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I am also interested in some mags. I ordered two DPMS mags but I dont know when they will be in??????  I will post pics and results when they arrive and I CAN TEST THEM.. If anyone hears about SG mags please let us know.......

3-8-08 2200  I spoke to DPMS this am. The mage will be shipping in summer 06 they had issues with production of the mags and they did not want to ship out mags that had problems with them...

Has anyone spoke to SG about there mags or promag yet??????????????
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Guys

This is the Southern Gun Company 30 Round CNC mag

I offered to box a pile of them up and post them over a while back but no-one was interested

Richard
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#23]
  I've been followign this thread to see what happens and figured i'd throw in .02.  About a month or so ago i bought a Butler creek 25 shot hot lip 10/22 magazine to try and fit it to my v-22. I basically shaved plastic off of the sides and fitted wooden blocks so as to fit my ar. It was pretty tedious and considering the time and cost of the mag i would'nt try again, at least not with the tools i used.

How did it work?...So so i guess. It was only reliable with the last 15 shots in the mag. The problem was the feed lips catching the bullets. Or the bullets getting wedged in the feed lips. Apparently some of the plastic i had to remove reduced the feed lips support. I bet it would have worked fine if the feed lips were steel! But for now I am waiting for any viable alternative.  I dont have a digital camera so i can't post a pic.

To anyone considering a dedicated upper, i would say get a 10/22 for now, the suck factor with 10 shots pegs the needle! Especially if you have kids that shoot with you!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Richard, would you consider parting with one of those mags ? I could really use it !!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I also would LOVE to have one! But the import duties on top of $250 just takes takes them out of my range.

I wish ProMag would get some of the plastic ones on the market and/or I could find a DPMS...

Let's keep this thread alive to keep the news coming!

Bill
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]

I offered to box a pile of them up and post them over a while back but no-one was interested

Richard

Hell, I'm interested.  I'd take at least 3.......

D
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
If you can still get them I would like 4
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Guys

This is the Southern Gun Company 30 Round CNC mag

photos.fotango.com/p/eba00217181f00000136.jpg

photos.fotango.com/p/eba00217181f00000137.jpg

photos.fotango.com/p/eba00217181f00000135.jpg

I offered to box a pile of them up and post them over a while back but no-one was interestedhard

Richard,

It sounds like there has been a drastic increase in demand since your last offer...I would dearly love to get my hands on 2-4 depending on the cost...do you know the current price per mag?

I dont know if PayPal is international or not, but I am sure that we could work out some form of secure payment that would ensure you didnt get hosed for your trouble.

Paul
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Count me in on 3-4 also.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#30]
That's 12+ on just page 4...this could be this could be the start of a wonderful relationship!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried calling SG and got a recording that number no longer in service?????????????
please let me know if there is another phone number
thanks
Rob
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The phone numbers shown on their advert in GunMart (UK shooting mag) are:

+44 (0)1208 851074
or
+44 (0)1208 850823

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I would take 4.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for info
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#36]
bump
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I tried calling SG and got a recording that number no longer in service?????????????
please let me know if there is another phone number
thanks
Rob

Quoted:
The phone numbers shown on their advert in GunMart (UK shooting mag) are:

+44 (0)1208 851074
or
+44 (0)1208 850823

Rob, any luck with these numbers or were you hoping like me h.gifsomeone else was going to give it a go?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got back from vacation I will call this week
Rob
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Any news on this?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Hi from the UK. Here's my V22 - gonna stick a hogue od forend on it this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/tuftyclub/v22.jpg

The SGC V22  30 round mag's are UKP 46. I've one of these and one ten round.

If anyone has an OD green stock to replace my 6 position black one and will ship to the uk drop me a line.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I would like to purchase a few of these magazines.

Does anyone know what we have to do in order to get a handful of them?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm visiting one of the SGC dealers this saturday - I'll ask the question. In the meantime here's a taster!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/tuftyclub/v22mag.jpg
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm visiting one of the SGC dealers this saturday - I'll ask the question. In the meantime here's a taster!
href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/tuftyclub/v22mag.jpg

Please, enough of the teasing!!!  I want more capacity!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#45]
IIIIIII.......WWAAANNTTT.......IITTT!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Hi guys, just found this thread by accident (damn SC you need to tell me about these threaads).

I'm the original designer of the V22. I was screwed by CZ and do not get any royalities on it so I refused to support the design. The damn CZ made some minor changes to my design that made it less reliable. The friggin original mags had a solid delrin follower that worked 100% better than the POS follower that they designed. It cost them 5 cents more per mag but they did not want to use them.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread the V22 upper will work with Cenier mags if the bottom of the bolt is slightly modified (another thing CZ changed on me so you couldn't use Cenier mags, yes they planned it that way so you had to buy their mags).

I have the original high cap 30 rnd mag that I designed for the upper (I designed during the mag ban but had designed one anyway) but I have refused to release it since that would support those POS CZ people. (to say I'm a bit bitter about the whole thing is an understatement).

As for spare parts or any thing else you guys need, I have all the original drawings and will freely give them away to those that want them, screw you CZ (please don't ask for them if you do not have a machine shop or access to one since I'll most likely be flooded from this offer)

BTW it only cost CZ $70 to make and ship those uppers so if you pay more than $150 for one your being screwed. Sorry if I sound a bit bitter but I am

If you don't believe me on the above just ask SC, he'll tell you and has seen my original and the original castings for the upper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn Mongo that sucks......sorry to hear that.

Is there any chance of you manufacturing the 30 rd mags and selling them for a profit.
Those of us with  CZ uppers are desperate for high capacity mags for the things.

What kind of machine shop capabilities are we talking about?  Would a standard mini mill
be enough?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Mongo, if you can pen something like the V22 why not go for it and do something beter than it or the Rhineland Arms - that's generating a lot of interest.
I'd love to see a semi-auto along the lines of the old WWII Sten machine gun or a belt fed semi auto M1919 (to comply with POS UK Firearm reg's) - imagine turning up at the range with one of those!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry Mongo,

I thought I mentioned it to you.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#50]
P.S Mongo V22 upper £460 ukp ($800!!!!!) Here in Rip Off Britain.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top