User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks BBB....looking forward to getting the new airbrush and compressor so i can do some "professional" work.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You could do the selector in OD green, or in Colt gray.  Both would work well with the SOCOM.

Make sure you keep the pics coming!  
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree about the "serious part-time effort".  I just purchased a good Paasche external mix airbrush and a small Craftsman compressor with a water filter.  Seems to work well.  I also purchased a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight to do the sandblasting work, and...I have a locker on the way from Cleveland to make into an oven.  So now I think I am ready to go!  I have to say a big "Thanks" to Stickman for doing the write up to give me the courage to try Norrell's!  Below are a couple of recent refinish jobs.

Link Posted: 2/19/2005 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]
excellent work CAR-15....most excellent....

yes sir stickman...decided to go with the OD green selector so it contrasts well with the SOCOM.  

a rifle reborn.....

will post some more pics later....

Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
a little bit-o-gray on the ol' barrel.....

a little bit-o-socom on the receiver and bolt group....

a little bit-o-custom-whatever-paint here and there....

and you've thus completed the moly two-step......that's life in the "get your old beater looking good again" fast lane.....works for me.....

Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn fine job, Norrell's is the shit isn't it?  I remember those two .22 pistols that you did with the gold paint in the letters, man that blew me away!  I think we need a full blown refinishing/painting forum.  Maybe one of the moderators could set it up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
you betcha CAR-15....i like the way you think....

a separate forum for us moly-heads and other refinishing freaks.......works for me...

FedEx just came by and dropped off my new compressor......once i hook up the new airbrush.....lookout.....

who's gonna stop me?
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
just for old times sake....

Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have any pictures of the tan or brown?  The Norrell websight doesn't show a sample of the colors.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Man Burnsome, I an gonna rip you off bigger than shit with that "Painting of the words and letters" specialty you got there.  People will go nuts for that!  Are you doing this as a business venture, or just hooking yourself & friends up?
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Anyone have any pictures of the tan or brown? The Norrell websight doesn't show a sample of the colors.

I have some tan, but I haven't used it on anything yet.  When I do, I'll post some pics
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used tan, but it has been for other peoples weapons that wouldn't want them posted.  I'll see if I can get up some others.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 2:51:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've used tan, but it has been for other peoples weapons that wouldn't want them posted.  I'll see if I can get up some others.

Now that sounds intriguing.

Great pics guys!
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Great pics guys!

youbetcha...let's keep those pics coming....lots of good info here to share....

Man Burnsome, I an gonna rip you off bigger than shit with that "Painting of the words and letters" specialty you got there. People will go nuts for that! Are you doing this as a business venture, or just hooking yourself & friends up?

go for it CAR-15.....have fun....yes sir, i'm setting myself up a little biness' venture here actualy....have been doing the moly two-step routine on quite a number of my friends and associates guns free to "practice" or for a little trade out for this and that...am getting all the necessary and high-volume "equipment" to do this, so will start charging a bit more for it, but will offer the painting of the engraved lettering and whatnot for free with the rest of the work.  i am also getting an engraving machine, and will offer some light engraving work, including some specialized logo engraving for "specialized" wants....i recently engraved my name and some other words on the side of my optics bases that add that extra bit of "personalization" to some of my rifles.......maybe i should post some pics?.....next step for me here soon is figuring out how to create a website to advertise this type of service, along with a few other offerings for those in the AR-15/M-16/LE community.....

so much to do....so little time......
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Burnsome, Sounds like a plan.  I have been looking at some chemical etching machines, but the price is a little too high right now.  The more services that you can offer the better.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Tagged for further examples of Norrell's colors
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I would like to see the tan also, I just don't have anything to shoot right now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great pics guys!

IM sent, I make no claims of being anything special.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice work guys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Burnsome, I can't remember if I asked or not, but I have a couple of questions:  What are you using to bake the long items like barrels and such.  And are you doing any other surface prep besides degreasing?
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#23]
back at ya car-15.  computers been down for a few days due to lightening strike....yes God...i'm listening now....

to answer your question, no extra prep on the barrels except degreasing sir..
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, I thought I was gonna die if someone didn't respond soon!  I find myself searching for refinishing threads more than anything else!!  I think that I have more fun doing the refinishing than actually shooting!!  But then again, maybe not.  

Have you purchased a sandblaster yet?  I finally got the right media and compressor setup, and the blasting is going awesome.  I also just received my locker from a guy in Cleveland and I hope to get it all setup this weekend.  I need to, as I have 3 jobs waiting.  I will post some pics when I am finished with the projects, in the mean time, you & Stickman need to post on here more!!

I also made a suggestion to Ed Sr. about starting a refinishing forum.  Let's all try to talk him into it!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#25]
How do you paint the Plastic parts and get them to match? I would be concerned Baking them at 300 degrees? The photos are amazing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The build forum is getting enough input where I would think a refinishing forum would do quite well.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
car-15 ~ yupper.....here ya go on my sand blaster unit....this one should work well....!

Mantavision ~ ref. plastics - it's reported many have good results heating to 250 as i recall for 1.5 to 2 hrs.  I personally havent done too much platics, but stickman probably has....

will try to post more pics when i get another shotgun done i'm working on....its going to be try-colored....mixture of socom black, colt gray, and od green.....its an old ithaca model 37...been sitting in a friends closet for 30 or so years and was bought used....its a beater....

recently did my frineds 870 with some plastics in od green.....

i gotta start remembering to take before pics !!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I couldn't have been happier with Mr. Norrel's molyresin.......here are the before and after pics of his Colt Grey/Black finish on my AR....super clean surface+Badger 25.00 airbrush+Norrel's

Before.........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/shorty.jpg
After...........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/ARcarb2.jpg

Link Posted: 2/25/2005 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice! Villafuego

What kind of lower receiver is that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Nice! Villafuego

What kind of lower receiver is that?

Thanks!

It's an SGW / Palmetto Armory........
heres the whole thing......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/ARcarb.jpg
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Burnsome: How did oyu get the colors in the words on your reciever? That and the gold fill on hte 22 pistols? That looks damn sexy
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#32]
snorkel_bob ~  actually, its fairly easy with some practice.  take a little model paint (testors), apply with a toothpick so it flows into the engraving (after a thorough cleaning).  let dry for a couple of hours.  remove excess carefully with a rag with some wd-40 on it.....or was that alcohol...???..i cant remember now, but anyway, it works and holds up pretty well...

adds a nice touch....
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I was thinking that might be the way, but I seem to remember someone doing the same thing with some sort of wax "crayon" or something like that. I was wondering if that was the same thing or not.
I might have ot try that out. Looks really good
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]
bump from the dead
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top