User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well, good news. I took it out and shot it this morning, and there doesn't seem to be any loss of accuracy whatsoever. I didn't have an extra hider laying around. Makes a nice FIREBALL now ;)

Steve at ADCO said he could cut it down slightly if I wanted, and fit a Phantom for less than 60 bucks.
That would include a recrown. I may go that route because I was in the process of trying to sell this upper on the EE. Its only got like 30 rounds ran thru it so far.

So, there we are.........

If you're going to go to the trouble of having it recrowned, you might as well stop by your local Harley/custom cycle shop and have them fill that nick with a dollop of welding rod... Anyone with skill and a TIG welder should be able to help you out for next to nothing. Then you can have it re-crowned and the threads chased, with no loss in thread engagement length (especially good if this barrel were to ever see a suppressor) or muzzle integrity.

Just my unwanted advice,
Clint
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Clint, your advice is MOST welcome.

I wonder if Steve @ADCO could do that for me. I'll have to ask him.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry i lost track of this thread but good job getting that sucker off
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I finally got mine off.  I tried the method of grinding the weld and locating the pins.  iIfound the pins but they would not budge.  I then cut the brake nearly in half and with a cold chisel started splitting the brake until I had enough leverage to brake one of the tabs off.  I the quartered the brake with a Dremel cut off wheel beeing careful not to get into the threads a little at a time and hitting with a large hammer and chisel between grinding breaks  finally it all came off.  I had about 10 pieces of the brake when I was done.  It took about two hours total.  I do not reccomend this for those that are not that mechanically inclined or impatient like me.  Would I do it again?   Yes now that I know exactly how to do it.  BTW the reason the pins would not budge was due the fact that moisture had gotten into the break / pin area and started to rust.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
What Dremel attachment is everyone using to grind down the weld to get to the pins?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
RRA 16" with Wilson Compensator removed.

Link Posted: 12/1/2004 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a new Colt M4 6400c. The Barrel is 17.1 with factory comp, 16.1 without. It has 2 push pins through it. If I remove this will I have a threaded barrel? There is no crush washer behind the comp. I would like to install a fs in place of the comp.

Thanks  Grassyjoe
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top