BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The leupy 1-4x20 has an eye relief of 4.3in (1x), 3.8in (4x) the TR 21 has an eye relief of 4.8in(1.25x) to 3.4(4x) inches. They are relatily the same. If you find the "sweet spot" the scope will be in the right spot at any power and you won't have to change head position at all. And it will still allow for the quickest target to target acquisition and full speed movment while maintaining retical and target focus. I've used this on many different variable power scopes and it has always worked for me.

Except with with Night Vision.
out.
2011BLDR

Don't have an NVD, if I did I'd experiment with it to see whats up. What type of NVD are we talking here??? where does it mount, in front of the scope? or on the ocular lens? I may be able to get my hands on one to try it out and see whats up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The real advantage a TR21 has over all the other scopes in this category is the  40MM rear objective (32MM of glass) and the long eye relief on 1.25X.  

Uh, my TR21 has a 24mm objective.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The real advantage a TR21 has over all the other scopes in this category is the  40MM rear objective (32MM of glass) and the long eye relief on 1.25X.  

Uh, my TR21 has a 24mm objective.

Rear objective = eyepiece perhaps?
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's some pictures of 2011BLDR's various set ups.  Below are his current 3-gun set up and his work CQBR (10.5" upper on M4A1 lower).

His work M4A1 (new and old set-up) and M727.

Close up of rear objective in relatiton to rear sight on TA11F-A and TR21.  TR21 also works great on the 7.62MM SA Scout in Sage CHOPMOD/CA legal.

Thanks, 2011BLDR!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Big thanks to General_Tso  for hosting the pics, hope someone finds them useful.
Out.
2011BLDR  
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again for all the responses.  Some of the posts in the optics forum lately have me thinking.  How does the S&B and Accupoint stack up against IOR 1.1-4, Nightforce NSX 1-4, and the USO SN-4?

Also, can the Accupoint be used with night vision?  I wouldn't have thought so...
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also, can the Accupoint be used with night vision?  I wouldn't have thought so...

I'm not sure about the NV compatability, the triangle is plainly visible in low light. In fact, it's the perfect intensity for naked eye shooting in low light.

Wow, talk about thread resurrection.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You Accupoint guys might find this interesting. It concerns using the triangle (4 MOA) for holdover at different ranges. www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20724
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wow, talk about thread resurrection.

haha  Honestly, I was a little self-conscious about it.  I almost didn't bring it back, but I'm getting closer to buying a scope and wanted to get some more opinions after reading through this thread again and some others in the Optics forum.  I've pretty much decided on a variable, just figuring out which one now (leaning Accupoint).

I don't have much use for NV, but an earlier mention in the thread made me curious.  Thanks for the link to the "Holdover Experiment Thread."  That's pretty interesting--to me at least.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:58:06 AM EDT
[#10]
The IOR 1.1-4x26 has better optics than the ACOG and Lupy; is NV compatible, has a very bright higher ill. setting for daylight, and has 80MOA (!) of travel. Its $650.

EDT: I guess I should not have been surprised at 80 MOA of adjustment. The Lupy M4 offers the same.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The IOR 1.1-4x26 has better optics than the ACOG and Lupy; is NV compatible, has a very bright higher ill. setting for daylight, and has 80MOA (!) of travel. Its $650.

Don't forget built like a freaking tank.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I am really starting to look at the Accupoint for my Bushy A3.  I can't decide between the 1.25x4 or the 3x9.  

And NO, I can't get both
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I would add the Horus Talon to consideration also.

I think the Leupold reticle is too fine for CQB work and the Nightforce lag any BDC cam or tic mark for longer range target.
Horus has a good strong circle for close work and the grid will be useful for long range.

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
NIGHT FORCE NXS 1-4
www.nightforceoptics.com/full_size/scopes/popup_compact_01.jpg-41768675577d1

Funny you should mention this as I was just playing around with the 2.5-10x24 today. It is a very sweet little rig and was retailing for about $1k even in my area. The illuminated reticle was bright enough to use in daylight (BAC style) and the 10x let you really dial up longer shots.

Still not much of a precision optic; but all those people who were wishing for a variable power ACOG would probably be interested in this optic (particularly since ACOGs are almost in the same price range these days).
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would add the Horus Talon to consideration also.

www.horusvision.com/images/talon_a_lg.jpg

I think the Leupold reticle is too fine for CQB work and the Nightforce lag any BDC cam or tic mark for longer range target.
Horus has a good strong circle for close work and the grid will be useful for long range.

www.horusvision.com/images/reticles/h48_Large.gif

The SPR retical that is in the new 1.5-5 leupy and IIRC this is a first focal plan retical, but I could be mistaken. that means that as you increase power the retical appears to grow. So at 4 power it should do well for more precise shootng. and with the circle dot at 1 power it should be more than ok for CQB.

I think the 1-4x20 VX-II with the duplex retical is not at all bad for CQB. I use it all the time at ranges from 5ft to 100 yards and it is just fine. Never had a problem putting a round on target with it. You just have to learn how best to use it. And it's pretty easy to do that.

ETA: This is the duplex on the 1-4x20 leupold.

Now if I remember this right I was sighted in with black hills 68gr BTHP when I did this, but it might have been wolf 62gr FMJ as well as I had both with me at the range that day. Where the top goes from thick line to fine line, at 100 yards, thats your aimpoint for POA/POI, at 4 power and oddly at 1 power. Where the bottom line goes from thick to thin is the hold for 300 yards. When I shot it at 300 I was shooting 12in tall steel plates. Rang the thing every time. I want to get out and shoot paper at 300 to see exactly where the rounds are hitting in relation to that thick/thin point though to verify for sure. But so far it works well that way. Of course I'm not talking about precision shooting either I'm talkinga bout shooting com here. But it does work well as hits can be made using those to areas as aiming points. Not really nessesary with a 50 yard zero as the 50yard 220 meter crossover, but the 300 yard one is nice to know, at least for me. As this gun was built with a 300 yard range in mind as the git r' done range. anything past that I'd rather use a 308
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NIGHT FORCE NXS 1-4
www.nightforceoptics.com/full_size/scopes/popup_compact_01.jpg-41768675577d1

Funny you should mention this as I was just playing around with the 2.5-10x24 today. It is a very sweet little rig and was retailing for about $1k even in my area. The illuminated reticle was bright enough to use in daylight (BAC style) and the 10x let you really dial up longer shots.

Still not much of a precision optic; but all those people who were wishing for a variable power ACOG would probably be interested in this optic (particularly since ACOGs are almost in the same price range these days).

What reticle was in the 2.5-10X NF?  Why don't you think it is a precision optic, just curious?
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm, best way I can describe it is that it was like a small circle dot reticle with a horizontal lines to either side and a short vertical line underneath the reticle (kind of like the compact ACOGs)

Pretty clean while still providing lots of different reference points. I should qualify my comments on the precision shooting by saying that I don't do any and I've never had any formal instruction in that area; but it looked to me like it would be difficult to be very specific with it. It just doesn't have as many reference points as a mil-dot style reticle for wind and elevation at longer distances.

Having said that, the guy who owned the scope IS a precision shooter and he likes it quite a bit as an all purpose rifle optic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hmmm, best way I can describe it is that it was like a small circle dot reticle with a horizontal lines to either side and a short vertical line underneath the reticle (kind of like the compact ACOGs)

Pretty clean while still providing lots of different reference points. I should qualify my comments on the precision shooting by saying that I don't do any and I've never had any formal instruction in that area; but it looked to me like it would be difficult to be very specific with it. It just doesn't have as many reference points as a mil-dot style reticle for wind and elevation at longer distances.

Having said that, the guy who owned the scope IS a precision shooter and he likes it quite a bit as an all purpose rifle optic.

Was it this one?
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Neil I think the other one that is like the FC 2 is the NP-2DD it has the horizantal and vertical lines but no circle around the center dot..
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#26]
NF 1-4X and 2.5-10X Reticles Offered

Regarding battery life, does anyone think it would be acceptable to use the illumination only when required, or does everyone assume that it's required anytime you're using the optic?  

I've only looked through an ACOG a couple of times, but my reollection was that in daylight you didn't get the sense the reticle was amber or red, it just appeared dark.  At dusk you picked up the color.  I could see if you were in a situation of a backlit target you would like the illumination, or if you were in a lit area looking into dark shadows.  But those are specific scenarios where you could turn the illumination on just when needed.   Seems you could extend battery life significantly if you were willing to use it in this fashion.  Of course the counter argument is you'll never know when you need it so the best approach is to leave it turned on all the time.  But even in those situations, you may find yourself needing to adjust intensity.  Just curious what everyone's thoughts were.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Jmart on my illum retical scopes thats what I do, I turn it on as needed to save on battery life. I haven't run into a situation yet where I lost my retical(on my 1-4x20 non-ill retical) when the target was back lit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The way I am thinking/wanting to use a optic like this is on a GP rifle (general purpose). In that role I see myself using the scope on low magnification with the reticle turned up as a close quarter optic, like an Aimpoint or EoTech. This is the role I would see the scope being used in most, because that seems to be the type shooting I do, or, would do most frequently. This is why battery life is so important for me. A scope that is as fast and simple to use as an Aimpoint up close that offers me the ability to turn up the magnification and use it for more precise shooting, be the targets close or far, is what intrigues me most about this style optic. Without the illumination, I loose almost all interest, because it looses nearly all of its close range usefulness.

As far as a GP rifle, yes I agree with you because thats what my set up is. It a GP rifle for use out to 300 yards, but does well beyond that too.
I find that even without the illumination it works very well for CQB ranges. Part of that is that with the duplex retical up close you don't have to worry about the crosshairs, where it goes from thick to thin you use those keep what your aiming at inside those four posts and yer good. If you want to be more precise than use the crosshairs. It's easier to show than explain. But it does work and it is still rather quick maybe not as quick as a dot but it's there. Now having said all that, I do wish it was an illuminated retical.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm doing some research for work and for the school weapon in regards to putting optics on M-4's and A3 16" ARs. The two M-4's are used on the "entry" team. Some of the guys are wanting to put optics on the weapons. However, if optics are put on a weapon the Iron Sight Course and the Sniper Course must be shot. First, to give you a little information on the course of fire:
IRON SIGHT COURSE- Shots take place at 40, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

SNIPER COURSE- Shots take place at 100 yards. The targets that are used are 100 yard full face, 200 yard simulation, 2" bullseye.

$ is an issue but I'm willing to listen to all possibilities of an optic. One has already purchased his own (Eotech) but has not qualified with the optic (waiting for approval perhaps). Another has put on a LMT BUIS. Some have mentioned Aimpoints, Eotech, Leupold CQ/T, ACOG, AND I.O.R. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I understand this is not the right forum for the next statement but what the heck. LaRue rails 7.0 are being looked at as well as Tango Down VG. Weapon lights have not been research fully and lasers have been brought up. So, feed me with your knowledge!

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, the FC-2 was the reticle I looked at, though I don't recall the horizontal lines in the actual model I examined being that long. The Nightforce scopes were nice little numbers. I don't see me ditching my ACOG to buy one; but I'd give them a serious look if I were buying a new optic right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I know just what you mean about using the thicker stadia lines as your aiming point. I do the same thing with the ACOG reticle. I'll just use the whole thing up close, including the lower stadia lines. I know that up close Im going to be hitting somewhere within that range. For many targets I look at when shooting quickly, thats more than good enough. I've tried to use the NSN ACOG model like that, but I find that it is much more difficult than with the illuminated reticles. I know it is not impossible, because I have done it, and there is another guy who shoots with us who is very quick with a TAO1. Psywar has mentioned here several times he has been trained and with practice can use the NSN reticle for spped work, and he does so for real... So I have no doubts it can be done. I just find the illumination is more helpful. The thing that has me so hyped about all these new scopes as that they are going further and further at bridging the gap between dot optics and magnified optics, offering the advantages of both.

Good cuz a road trip to Fla, while fun, would be a PITA just to show ya what I was talking about. But Hey I got friends down their so who knows, I may just end up down there one day to visit and if I'm lucky I could catch a FDCC shoot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
tag for later...
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Define "intermediate ranges" - using a .223 round the US Army and Marine Corp define ranges.

I've found that I can hit anything worth shooting at ranges that the .223 ought to be used against human sized targets with a red-dot-o-death.

In posing this question, my concern is matching an optic to the strengths of one weapon system--a defensive carbine in this case--rather than a number.  The question of range becomes a factor in finding an optic that is suitable for clearing a house but can also perform well within the effective terminal range of a variety of ammunition (including the best performers such as Mk262 Mod1), the confines of a 16" M4-type carbine (as opposed a hyperaccurate SPR with high power optics that might utilize a bipod, for example), and the limits of my skills and training.

I think the red dot comment is a great point.  If the red-dot-o-death is (maybe arguably so) the best solution for close quarters and there is minimum benefit to using magnified optics at the upper limit of "ranges that the .223 ought to be used against human sized targets" or the use of magnified optics hurts close quarters performance, I'd be happy with an Aimpoint or EOTech.  But if there's something to be gained without hurting close quarters capability, I want to explore that.  I have some experience with Aimpoints and EOTechs, but not so much with optics like the ACOG and others we've mentioned or even using BAC, so I'm trying to draw on you folks' experience as much as I can.  

Speaking of which, I have to digest all the awesome posts that all you've made.  I'm sure I'll have more questions after some more reading and web searching.  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#38]

For reference, here's a picture of the IOR 1.1-4x26 CRT's CQB Reticle.  

Does anyone have a picture of this reticle illuminated?  Is it bright enough to use in a BAC capacity?

[Edit:  image size.]
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

www.valdada.com/vn/ior/cqb.gif

Does anyone have a picture of this reticle illuminated?  Is it bright enough to use in a BAC capacity?

The illumination of IOR scope, at least the one's I've played around with and the one I own, is rather subtle. If fact on a bright day at the first setting you can't tell it's on. sometimes even on the highest setting you can't tell, but the second you go accross something dark you will see the retical stand out a bit. And if yer looking into a shadow you can tell the retical is lit up.

I don't know what color they are using on the CQB reticle but mine is green, and I've yet to have a problem losing it on something green either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
How long of range do you want, whats wrong with eotech/aimpiont setup, or aimpiont with removable 2x magnifier
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.valdada.com/vn/ior/cqb.gif

The illumination of IOR scope, at least the one's I've played around with and the one I own, is rather subtle. If fact on a bright day at the first setting you can't tell it's on. sometimes even on the highest setting you can't tell, but the second you go accross something dark you will see the retical stand out a bit. And if yer looking into a shadow you can tell the retical is lit up.

I don't know what color they are using on the CQB reticle but mine is green, and I've yet to have a problem losing it on something green either.

They switched to red last year and made the upper 3 settings brighter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#42]
photoman and BB,

I'm really curious to see those.  If you two have access to a digital camera, I'd be more than happy to host a picture of those reticles for you.  Just send me an instant message if it's not too much trouble.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
photoman and BB,

I'm really curious to see those.  If you two have access to a digital camera, I'd be more than happy to host a picture of those reticles for you.  Just send me an instant message if it's not too much trouble.

Courtesy of NUCdt04

Courtesy of Chapperjoe
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool, BB.  Thanks!  I envisioned the "horseshoe" being illuminated too.  That's interesting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#45]
My camera fu is not as good as BB and I've just received my Horus 1-4x so sorry for the poor quality photos.

This is the Horus at 1x

and at 4x

I think the first focal plane reticle helps in giving a strong circle at 1x for speed. And the 4x grids (when one get more familiar with) is fast for longer range also. The x'mas tree grids are 1 mil major and 1/2 mil minor. The horizontal tics are for speed at 4mph increment. The circles are more thicker and visible than Leupold and the grids are much more useful than the NsX FC-2 at 4x.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
photoman and BB,

I'll try to get one or two tonight. I've got the 4-14x50 with the MP8 retical.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
My camera fu is not as good as BB and I've just received my Horus 1-4x so sorry for the poor quality photos.

This is the Horus at 1x

home.graffiti.net/3par/horus1x.JPG

and at 4x

home.graffiti.net/3par/horus4x.JPG

I think the first focal plane reticle helps in giving a strong circle at 1x for speed. And the 4x grids (when one get more familiar with) is fast for longer range also. The x'mas tree grids are 1 mil major and 1/2 mil minor. The horizontal tics are for speed at 4mph increment. The circles are more thicker and visible than Leupold and the grids are much more useful than the NsX FC-2 at 4x.

haha  Don't underestimate your camera fu!  It is strong.  That first focal plane reticle is really striking when you see it in action.  Thanks, Photoman.  That's very cool.  Again, feel free to e-mail me or IM for hosting.  I have a ton space.

Would any one object to me using some of their pictures for a page comparing some of these optics?  I started taking notes so I could compare size, weight, etc. and I thought other people might find it useful on a website.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I think it's a great idea. FYI, I pulled those reticle pics off the board. Look at this thread:

Reticle Images
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the Horus at 1x

home.graffiti.net/3par/horus1x.JPG

and at 4x

home.graffiti.net/3par/horus4x.JPG

haha  Don't underestimate your camera fu!  It is strong.  That first focal plane reticle is really striking when you see it in action.  Thanks, Photoman.  That's very cool.  Again, feel free to e-mail me or IM for hosting.  I have a ton space.

Would any one object to me using some of their pictures for a page comparing some of these optics?  I started taking notes so I could compare size, weight, etc. and I thought other people might find it useful on a website.

I don't mind if ya use it, just credit the pic is all I ask.
Of course my IOR might not fit into it if yer doing it on the low variable scopes as mine in a 4-14
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Folks,

I started putting some information together on my site, summarizing some of the specs of the scopes we've discussed so far.  Here it is:  CQT/Intermediate-Range Variables Comparison.  I haven't found much info on the Horus, so if you can help me out I'd appreciate it.  I couldn't get ahold of anyone at Horus today.  The pictures look great!  Thanks everybody.  It's plain so far.  If there's anything that you think would be helpful to add for everyone, let me know.

I think it'd be cool to pool some people's first hand experience with each optic in addition to the spec.  If any of you feel like writing some of your thoughts, it'd be cool to have them writen down.  Send me an IM if you're interested.
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top