AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
interesting...
I don't think temps have anything to do with it.

I agree, its a clear case of a faulty trigger actuating nut, and improper lubrication combined with what sounds like the break in of a new weapon.

10-4 on the faulty trigger actuating nut...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
15 degrees and no winter trigger guard?!?!  there's your problem.

1.5 MOA out of an AK?  

Not in his wildest dream.

yeah, but it works for Liberians
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
First the AK I have is worth about three times the value of the LMT M4A3, it is a stamped Bulgarian 5.56 NATO AKS-74M1A1. Rare as frog hair maybe ten in the country tops. Second it is headspaced very well 1/9 twist but since it uses two lugs over the multiple many in the AR it might have more to do with it's capability to run better. The LMT is also brand new, both guns never run. The LMT has a standard bolt, the dry lube wasn't all that much applied, I never soak a carrier group since that only causes carbon buildup which I learned in the military in field conditions, soaked carrier groups don't as well over time. The lube is only to reduce friction at best and this is a dry lube teflon coated type. The LaBelle mags ran off and on, however I have a set of brand new Orlite mags that seemed to run better in the rifle. I had a couple double feeds, two stovepipes (casings not fully extracted), and several times the casings were stuck, the last time had to use a cleaning rod to knockout then lost the cotter pin. The AK is my go to gun, it runs, I was testing both weapons, more so just breaking them in since neither had been shot.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
rare as a frog's hair?

a brand new LMT that only runs off of Orlite mags...I'd imagine that's pretty rare as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If youe rare as frog-hair Bulgy Kalashnikov is your go-to gun, then by all means train with it as often as possible and buy another back-up in the same caliber for simple logistics and just give up the AR platform all together as it is not dependable enough for you to trust your life on it.  Lost your cotter pin???

Hell, go with what works for you, sell off your ARs, and put all that money into stuff you know works instead of having to dick around trying to diagnose a problem with a weapon that wouldn't be your SHTF or Bug-out weapon anyway.

Go ahead and put it on the EE for sale and some poor sap will get it and tinker with it and get it to run, Orlite mags or no Orlite mags, and will be as happy as pie to have it.

[snicker]he said "pie"[snicker/]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have any idea when the gas piston upgrade will be out for the LMT MRP?  I have heard it is in the works.
Anthony
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
As much as I hate to believe it , Ak's are the more reliable of the 2 weapons. One would think that an M4 made by LMT should run great right out of the box. Most of the time this is the case but not always.
This is why I strive to make my ar's run as smooth and reliable as possible. This has led me to the gas piston type now.
Even so you can make a direct gas impingement AR run pretty damm good these days. All of the answers are right here on AR15.com.
Heavy buffers( a number of newer and better designs that seem to work well), the crane style oring or defender d ring, good recoil springs, the right size port in the barrel ( this varies with barrel length), pigtail gas tubes and fatboy gas tubes for shorter than 14.5 barrels.And most of all good usgi or HK magazines!!!! You have to use some trial and error with your particular combination. But yes you can make your direct gas AR run damm near as reliable as your Ak.
All of my AR's are setup with all of these things in mind, so is my Dads 10'' barrel M16. We cannot get them to fail.
I did find the easier alternative to making the direct gas guns run. The piston operated AR. Much easier and No where near as finicky to keep them shooting.
Just my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
It's funny, but after 250-300 rounds, my ARs settle down nicely. If I take the time to work in some CLP before I shoot, it's usually less.

I put Sandstrom 9A in a few uppers and they ran right off the bat. Nice stuff. Really smoothes things out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My Bushy M4 doesn't malfunction. Ever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]
M-16?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have an Oly Maxxhard M4 upper in stainless steel. The first round failed to feed. I slapped the mag and it has run like a champ ever since. Has a few thousand rounds through it now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
15 degrees and no winter trigger guard?!?!  there's your problem.

1.5 MOA out of an AK?  

minute of automobile

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Double tap, but........

I'll also say that there is NO difference in practical accuracy between a small bore Kalashnikov in 5.45mm or 5.56mm and an AR or M16.

5.45 and 5.56 AKs will shoot 1/2 - 1 1.5 MOA?

Huh.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
A couple of observations:

1.  Temp can and does affect a round.  It can make questionable rounds underpowered.  Something about powder burn rate or some jibberish.  I had a custom barrel run nearly 100% all summer and when it cooled off, it started to hiccup regularly on Wolf.  What was the change?  Yep.....................colder temp.

2.  Frankenguns can run if put together correctly using quality parts.  As good or better than any factory monkey built rifle out there, and usually better.

I'm not getting into the LMT pissing match, but these two topics stuck with me in the wonderful read.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#19]
How about using better mags..double feeds are most always bad mags.Failure to extract how about an X power extractor spring.Use a little more lube at least surface bearing areas or just coat the worn surfacesof the carrier and upper.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
trigger nut +1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#22]
That's the picture of the gun basically except one difference, mine has a 74 style flashider which they added on the first production run. Basically two runs were made, one with the AKM front sight and one run with the 74 front sight which they later removed because I guess the Bulgie's in the field were mistaking them for 5.45 guns and not 5.56NATO which they are. The museum at Arsenal BG doesn't even have one on display because of the limited production run. I wouldn't part with mine for anything less than $5K minimum considering how few are even in circulation but it ran perfectly. Also mine as a matching numbered bayonet.

Creeper
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine is semi only though, stamped sidefolder AKS-74M1A1 5.56NATO complete with double code 10 markings, all matching numbers, everything. Very nice AK. They do get about 1.5" groups easily in the 5.56 caliber.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Mine is semi only though, stamped sidefolder AKS-74M1A1 5.56NATO complete with double code 10 markings, all matching numbers, everything. Very nice AK. They do get about 1.5" groups easily in the 5.56 caliber.

How did you manage to score that Kalashnikov variant, if you don't mind my asking?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok, for anyone who is not satisfied with their ARs, I will take them off your hands. I know, I know, it's alot of work for me, but hey, I'm a nice guy and will fight for your freedom from such a terrible burden.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Well Creeper, you did kind of set this whole post up like "See, an AK IS more reliable"  Fact of it is, you're having a problem with one rifle.  And on top of that, you're breaking it in.  Alot of Semi auto / auto guns need a few rounds through them to loosen them up.  If those were your first rounds through that weapon, things may change.  Nothing wrong with your AK obviously, but you gotta give us AR guys a break, when you set up a post like that, it's bound to be focused on the AK vs AR part of it.  You should've just told everyone what was going on with your AR so they can help diagnose your problem.  Unless your real intent was to just say" See, and AK IS more reliable".  I'm sure with a little help and guidance from these guys you can get that AR running like greased lightning.

I do think it's kind of funny how alot of people are saying we need to go to Gas Piston rifles for reliabililty and people with them post this.

I like what someone said before, "Pistons? We don't need know stinking pistons!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1

Bushmaster uses 'Labelle' mags.  D&H now owns the Labelle tooling and I own 6 of their mags with the Teflon coating.  They are excellent mags.  I've never had a failure with my Bushy M4A3 using the Labelle mags.

Your "cotter pin" just fell out?  Get rid of your AR.  The owner's manual is over your head.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
this is so worthless...

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Crane O-Ring
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Temp was around 15 degrees F outside with a slight chill in the air.

The "cold" weather is not your problem. Your problem is the lubing, the mags and the ammo.

I've ran different kinds of ARs in temperatures below -15 deg F without problems. When ever you are running ANY gun in cold temperatures, AKs included, it is best to run it dry, or use alcohol solvents (40% min). Any gun oil will freeze up in temps like this.

When you go inside from cold weather, wait until the condensation appears on the metal parts and wipe them dry before going back out. Unless you do this, expect to have frozen selectors and charging handles etc. Use full-pressure ammo, cold temperatures will cause pressures to go down so you don't want to go out with Wolf or other low-pressure ammo. Use USGI magazines, the polymer mags are not very reliable and the problems are likely to manifest more in cold weather. Polymers usually have very high thermal expansion coefficients, compared even to aluminum.

All you need to do to make your AR work is to use good mags (this is imperative in any weather) and good ammo (ditto on this) that has enough pressure to cycle your weapon. The AK is not as ammo-sensitive, but you still need good magazines to make it feed right and leave it dry in the cold to keep it running.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#34]

basically it sprays on lightly then leaves a teflon coating, did the Bulgy AK the same. I didn't use to much

Don't run the AR dry; the AK will work dry, but you're adding lots of unneccesary extra wear to the moving parts.   Just because it says something in a marketing claim on the bottle doesn't mean you have to believe them.  

Ran 500 rounds total for the day through both guns. However the LMT had several jams, failure to extract, double feeds, for about 18 jams ( one or two per mag) for the 200 rounds fired. Used LaBelle mags which it didn't like (anti-cant followers), but the LMT liked the new Orlites better

This is not in any way normal AR operation.  If it's favoring some mags over the others, then you have problems.  In this case, I'd expect the feed lips on the Orlites to create less friction on the round and feed better, which would be important since you didn't lube the damn rifle.  

Took the Bulgy out, 5.56 AK, ran three hundred rounds, not one jam, not one malf, used ten different mags, not one problem to report.       ........

The AK is designed to function, tolerances are not as tight, accuracy within 1.5 MOA instead of under 1MOA or whatever but the AK just runs.

It has nothing to do with "tolerances" (the word you're looking for is "clearances" anyways).  It's because the AK system puts far, far more OOMPH into the cycling of the action then it actually needs. (the most noticable effect of which is the working parts slamming into the back of the receiver every time you fire.  If your will function with a buffer, use one)  This mitigates the effects of ninnies who don't properly clean or lube their weapons.  

The AK is generally considered a 3 or 4 MOA rifle, not 1.5, unless you're buying one from AK-USA or Kreb's Custom, and paying more than you would for a basic AR.

The amo used was some S&B 62gr steel core, course I should have spent 50 cents a round for the Lake City stuff to cure all woes.       ......

Plus while examing all the issues, field stripped the LMT and used a cleaning rod to knock one of the casings out of the chamber,

Don't use shit ammo.  You can get surplus 55gr military ammo for as low as $116 per 1k, shipped.  Good for range shooting -- it's not new, but it's not factory seconds for  $.22 per round, either.  IMI black and while box is also about $170 per 1k.  Hell, you'd probably even be better off with Wolf.

Moral of the story, if you can't properly operate an AR and can't afford to shoot decent ammo, buy an AK instead.    Not a knock on the AK, I love them, but AR's aren't for everyone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It was the only thing I could think of, if the bolt and carrier group is mil-spec MP tested and the chamber is mil spec, the extractor mil spec, the mags, ammo everything just about mil spec then I can't figure it out except I have had other ARs jam in extreme cold conditions before.

I have been shooting my AR in Michigan lately when it's so cold I shouldn't even be outside and I have never had a jam.  Sometimes the rifle has been in the trunk of my car all day and is about the same temperature as the air outside.  Other times it is still warm from being in the house when I bring it outside.  In neither case has it ever jammed.

Same thing with the ammo, I have shot it with the ammo at room temp and with the ammo stored in the car trunk all day and really cold.

My AR is a Double Star lower on a J&T Upper with a GI aluminum mag with green follower.  Ammo I have used in these conditions is several hundred rounds of Wolf and several hundred rounds of M193.

I have been out about 5 times for around 100 rounds each time over the last month and never cleaned the gun between each outing because I am too busy lately.  Still no jams.

I don't think the temperature has anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.5 MOA out of an AK?  

Not in his wildest dream.

Just for the record, my 5.56x45 Arsenal SA M-5S shoots a 1 5/8 group with iron sights, it could probably do better but I'm old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. 5.56 AK's are extremely accurate rifles ...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you are running the LMT enhanced bolt and you're not using mil-spec 62gr. ammo out of a 14.5" barrel you can expect problems right off the bat.

Are you running the enhanced bolt?

I'm running a LMT 14.5" M4 upper, with the enhanced bolt and to the best of my recollection I have not fired a M855/SS109 round thru it as yet (most of what I have stocked is older IMI M855 which I prefer to hang on to).

It has fired winchester 45gr. HPs, Q3131A, S&B 55grn. steel cased, 77grn, 69grn, 68grn. & 75 grn. BH bluebox and quite few Winchester Power Point and Power Point Plus loads (both factory and my own reloads). In all the rifle has more than 3K thru it and it has yet to have a FTF, FTE or any malfuntion of any kind, not one!

Where does this statement of yours come from?

Is there any basis in fact for making it?

Why am I not having these difficulties?

Mike

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are running the LMT enhanced bolt and you're not using mil-spec 62gr. ammo out of a 14.5" barrel you can expect problems right off the bat.

Are you running the enhanced bolt?

I'm running a LMT 14.5" M4 upper, with the enhanced bolt and to the best of my recollection I have not fired a M855/SS109 round thru it as yet (most of what I have stocked is older IMI M855 which I prefer to hang on to).

It has fired winchester 45gr. HPs, Q3131A, S&B 55grn. steel cased, 77grn, 69grn, 68grn. & 75 grn. BH bluebox and quite few Winchester Power Point and Power Point Plus loads (both factory and my own reloads). In all the rifle has more than 3K thru it and it has yet to have a FTF, FTE or any malfuntion of any kind, not one!

Mike

Mike,

IIRC, this comes  from LMT's response when some folks here were having issues with the LMT Enhanced Bolt.  LMT basically said that the dual spring Enhanced Bolt was designed to be used with M855 and they would not guarantee it's reliability with other ammo.

I asked them how a bolt is designed to to work with only a certain type of ammunition and I never got a reply.

IMHO, as long as the ammo meet's SAAMI or NATO spec any quality bolt should work.  I just don't see how a bolt can be tuned for a certain type of ammo.

As you can see some folks have no problems with using other ammo while others do, so I'm not really convinced about the answer LMT gave...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Mike

Mike, I'm glad you're having no difficulties with your 14.5" LMT.  

If you had read my response on page 2 you would see this statement was made to me by LMT regarding why their enhanced bolt would not run in my 10.5" upper.

Try LMT themselves. They are the ones who told me the enhanced bolt would not run in my 10.5" upper (it would not) and that anything other than a 14.5" with 62gr. ammo was a crap shoot. So if you need proof, call them. They'll be straight up with you.

While you are at it call Grant or Roxanne at G&R Tactical and ask them how their customers with LMT enhanced bolts are running. And while you are still looking for proof puhhhleeeezzeee....if LMT and G&R Tactical aren't sufficient ask WES at MSTN the same question.

So the proof is out there, if you take the time to ask.....

My problems went away went they sent me a standard non-enhanced LMT bolt.

So it looks like you lucked out on the 14.5" barrel - enhanced bolt - different ammo combinations.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
1.5 MOA out of an AK?  

Heck ya! I get .224 inch 1 shot groups with my WASR-3 every time I try.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Try using some decent ammo in your AK and see what type of groups you can get.  While your running expensive high grade .223 ammo through your AR15 most people are running trashy low grade 7.62 ammo through there AKs...and then they say "Boy..my AR15 sure is more accurate".  And it is more accurate, but the difference in ammo widens the gap even more.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Try using some decent ammo in your AK and see what type of groups you can get.  While your running expensive high grade .223 ammo through your AR15 most people are running trashy low grade 7.62 ammo through there AKs...and then they say "Boy..my AR15 sure is more accurate".  And it is more accurate, but the difference in ammo widens the gap even more.

There are more than enough people that run trash ammo thru their ARs even from the same supplier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are more than enough people that run trash ammo thru their ARs even from the same supplier.

I can shoot the cheapest .223 I can find and still shoot at least 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can shoot the cheapest .223 I can find and still shoot at least 2 MOA.

Without getting tooooo far off topic, the simple fact is that the 5.56mm cartridge, based on a civillian ground hog cartridge, is more accurate with it's straight walled case than the 7.62x39mm.  The 5.45mm and 5.56mm AK's have, generally, every bit of PRACTICAL accuracy that a typical AR does.

By "Practical" accuracy I assume your refering to a man sized target like a torso?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha..I would know..considering I use Wolf ammo for my AR15...but its beside the point...the level of quality you can get in .223 ammo is much higher than any 7.62 or 5.45 ammo that you can buy.

EDIT: And to everyone else I said the AR15 is more accurate...God..I'm not saying the AK offers comparable accuracy...I'm saying if you could buy decent 5.45 or 7.62 ammo like you can for the AR15 then you wouldn't see such a difference in accuracy between your AR15 that you shoot mil-spec ammo with and cheap Russian garbage that you shoot out of you 7.62 AK...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By "Practical" accuracy I assume your refering to a man sized target like a torso?

I'm talking head shots on IDPA targets at distance and under the clock.

done it, first time i shot the rifle in competition and no muzzle brake.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I did not read the thread, just the first post...

It's that dry lube powder suger shit you used. I ran that in my Ruger MKII because the dude next to me said it was cool and what not.

It ended up stacking on the bolt face, and and inside the guides. It jammed like the PBJ Bananna.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top