Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
That's what I thought, so why go through the trouble to make sure the sling swivel can stay and keep it's full range of motion?

Plus if these are ever adopted and put on M4s or whatever in the military, odds are those guns will have the front sling swivel.  And I don't see our boys taking off a sling swivel for purely cosmetic reasons...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
altav- is that a rifle or midlength?

mattld-  I was thinking that the KAC side sling swivels would be appropriate, especially to preserve the FF...  I guess they made it FF because FF is cool, not so they could take strains away from the barrel...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
altav- is that a rifle or midlength?

It's a rifle length URX II wrapped around a 20" Krieger.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than its rarety, can anyone think of a reason to choose the URX2 over an MRP?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Other than its rarity, can anyone think of a reason to choose the URX2 over an MRP?

Yeah- Chicks dig the desert bling color!

just kidding. I have an MRP, but that URX2 gets me all googly eyed
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plus if these are ever adopted and put on M4s or whatever in the military, odds are those guns will have the front sling swivel.  And I don't see our boys taking off a sling swivel for purely cosmetic reasons...

I took my front sling swivel off for two reasons. I don't want the sling yanking on the barrel, and I dont want the swivel rattling around making noise. Neither are purely cosmetic IMO
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So KAC has come back with the white laser engraving numbers on the URX2?  Since RAS, RIS and RAS M5 is this the first one to wear numbers again?

No, not quite.  The laser just burns the brown colored dye out of the way so the base aluminum color shows through the anodized clear-coat.  The base metal then is still protected by the hard-coat anodize palting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there a reason they want FULL travel for the front sling swivel?  I take it this Rail isn't FF then?

I think the front sling swivel is there because its part of a GI FSB.  It does not affect the FF nature of the forend unless extreme sling pressure is applied.  Of course, alternative sling swivel adapters can be attached to the URX forend rails if one was to anticipate position target shooting events.
The FSB Sling Swivel is also easy to remove, and in fact is pretty commonly removed as when the host weapon is assigned an M203.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there a reason they want FULL travel for the front sling swivel?  I take it this Rail isn't FF then?

I think the front sling swivel is there because its part of a GI FSB.  It does not affect the FF nature of the forend unless extreme sling pressure is applied.  Of course, alternative sling swivel adapters can be attached to the URX forend rails if one was to anticipate position target shooting events.
The FSB Sling Swivel is also easy to remove, and in fact is pretty commonly removed as when the host weapon is assigned an M203.

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Aside from the removable lower rail, what advantages does the URX offer over the Larue?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Aside from the removable lower rail, what advantages does the URX offer over the Larue?

The continuous upper rail similar to the MRP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I know how easy it is to remove a sling swivel and how little stress a sling really does place on a barrel.  I also know it's just as easy to add a swivel adapter to the side of the rail.  But I still want to know why go through the troulble and design that freefloat forend and make room for a sling swivel that doesn't need to be there and most likely won't be?  I think it's very stupid to remove the front few teeth of the underside of the FF forend so a swivel can sway to and fro...  I can't wait to see the gucci gear surefire owners decide they don't want it because their flashlights/grip combo thingies have to be installed farther back now.  Also, any bipod or other accessory will have to sit farther back.  

Look at the top picture on this page (page 3)- It looks like it was machined only so that the swivel can lie all the way back tucked underneath.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I know how easy it is to remove a sling swivel and how little stress a sling really does place on a barrel.  I also know it's just as easy to add a swivel adapter to the side of the rail.  But I still want to know why go through the troulble and design that freefloat forend and make room for a sling swivel that doesn't need to be there and most likely won't be?  I think it's very stupid to remove the front few teeth of the underside of the FF forend so a swivel can sway to and fro...  I can't wait to see the gucci gear surefire owners decide they don't want it because their flashlights/grip combo thingies have to be installed farther back now.  Also, any bipod or other accessory will have to sit farther back.  

Look at the top picture on this page (page 3)- It looks like it was machined only so that the swivel can lie all the way back tucked underneath.  

Well, as a matter of fact, the bayonet lug on the GI barrels the URX-2 was designed for, require the cut at the front of the lower rail as well.  it was not done solely for the swivel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Looks can be deceiving, especialy if commercial non military grade rails are compaired to genuine higher military requirerments like the KAC product. Say for instance, the military have equipment not available to the general populas, like special lasers, lights, pistol grips, or a combo of all, that need certain space.
KAC are not going to tell you why they did something that is in competition with others for large contracts, surfice to say they know what they are doing. Maybe they have an alternate hand guard that hasn't got the cut out, maybe it isn't a clearance for the sling swivel. Maybe the sling swivel was put on as subtafuge.
KAC are not amatures like some of the other rail makers we see on here a lot

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm all for the idea of a higher power knowing what they were doing, I just don't like having explained the purpose of a sling swivel or how easily they are removed by a third party to explain why KAC did what they did.  I was hoping to get some speculative discussion going, not have someone explain to me the purpose of a sling swivel, no offense anyone.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm all for the idea of a higher power knowing what they were doing, I just don't like having explained the purpose of a sling swivel or how easily they are removed by a third party to explain why KAC did what they did.  I was hoping to get some speculative discussion going, not have someone explain to me the purpose of a sling swivel, no offense anyone.  

I think the bottom line is it is what it is.  

Odds are 99.99999% of the civilians who want a URX II won't get one.  So no need to worry about something that matters little in the grand scheme of things.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#20]
how about compared to the DD, which as far as I know, is one of the slimmer ones...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#22]
you guys make me sick on page 2
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#24]
So, civvies will never see the URX II?  Why is that?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Kevin...is that your private shizzle or guvmint shizzle?

Simon
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#31]
am i counting 6 or 7 different colors and shades of anodizing?  wow...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I asked KAC the same thing at Shot Show 2005, and was told it will be available eventually. They just dont have the production capability at the moment to supply the commercial market with them.

Can't wait...LOL.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top