BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both the 14.5" and 15" custom build could very easily be done on an individual basis

That could be said about just about any sort of barrel configuration you could think of.

Correct.  So then why all the crying for all these off the wall and custom barrel profiles from the major manufacturers, which would likely take months to pull off, when you can have it, whatever "it" is, by next week.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both the 14.5" and 15" custom build could very easily be done on an individual basis

That could be said about just about any sort of barrel configuration you could think of.

Correct.  So then why all the crying for all these off the wall and custom barrel profiles from the major manufacturers, which would likely take months to pull off, when you can have it, whatever "it" is, by next week.

Probably a money issue, just like the SBR thing for many people.  If you can get someone to manufacture something the way you want it straight from the factory then you don't have to pay extra to have it reworked into your desired configuration.  ADCO wants $100 for recontouring an entire barrel, and $64 forward of the FSB.  A 14.5" M4 CMMG barrel will run you $226.  Then you have to pay to ship it from them, to ADCO, and back home again.  Probably looking at $300 +/- for that barrel by then.

You also don't have to worry about people coming along and shitting all over your head just because they disagree with your desires.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushy Superlight - $219.95  + $65 from ADCO for shortening and rethreading and +$25 for permanent attachment of the FH.

Or do the same with a Colt 1/7 light weight barrel.  I got mine for $200.

I'm not shitting on this thread.  I even gave him the two realistic options on the very first reply to his request.  Be honest here - which barrel company is going to tool up for a request like this?  The only real way, right now, is to work through a custom shop.  If you really want it, why ask for and wait for something that has very little chance of happening in the near future.  The solution is a few mouse clicks away, and maybe some credit card action.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Since we're talking about having barrels machined to lightweight profiles, does anybody know for sure what the dimensions are of both the Colt 653 and Diemaco C8 (not C8A2) respectively?  

I always assumed that the Diemaco used the .625 FSB as on the old A1s and 653, but in looking at the picture provided on this thread of the LMT upper w/ the Diemaco bbl, it would certainly appear that they use the .750 FSB.

If somebody in the know could at least confirm these dimensions, then it would give those of us jones'in for a legit-looking lightweight some numbers to provide to a shop for a custom turn-down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the thinnest that a 5.56 barrel can safetly be brought down to?
Or is the bushy superlite about the limit in thin?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is the thinnest that a 5.56 barrel can safetly be brought down to?
Or is the bushy superlite about the limit in thin?

The Bushy is .575" in front of the gas block...I don't think you'd want to go thinner than that...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The troops can't even take down the enemy with the m-4's(14.5"). The 5.56 round needs all the help it can get thats why i'm sticking with the 20". I'll just use my .45 for close combat. I thought it would be good to have a short barrel AR untill I heard about the lack of stopping power from my friends in iraq. I hope the 6.8 works out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The troops can't even take down the enemy with the m-4's(14.5"). The 5.56 round needs all the help it can get thats why i'm sticking with the 20". I'll just use my .45 for close combat. I thought it would be good to have a short barrel AR untill I heard about the lack of stopping power from my friends in iraq. I hope the 6.8 works out.

Fighting alot of insurgents at your local Piggly Wiggly are you?
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
This thread just took a decided turn for the stupid.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:59:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This thread just took a decided turn for the stupid.

lol
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone here (Luckystiff?) has a factory 14.5" factory Colt in A1 profile.   Its a photo with the carbine laying on a snow-camo smock or similar backdrop.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually Diemaco makes a light weight 14.5 inch 1:7 twist barrel with M4 ramp cut, it is called the C8A2.  too bad you just can't have it in the states or as a civilian in general.

photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/IMG_0070_1.jpg

I build this C8a2 barrel with a LMT upper.

That looks like a 0.750" FSB profile.  Is it?  If so, it would be rather easy to duplicate from any old HBAR barrel.  It would not be an exact quality match, but would be pretty close.

In fact, I just made something similiar out of a Colt 1/9 HBAR barrel, except I kept it at 16".

To quote myself, here's the 16" Colt 1/9 HBAR I reprofiled down to a lighter weight.  It looks similiar to SMGLee's barrel, as it has the 0.750" FSB profile, like I think SMGLee does.

img160.imageshack.us/img160/8724/dsc021589id.jpg</a>

Still need to build it into something, though.

wow, that is nice.  I have been thinking about doing a LMT 16.1 inch M4 upper and make it a light weight.  

Good work bro.

Thanks.  I was thinking of building a super beater, Wolf digesting upper with it and shooting the P!SS out of it, saving a little wear and tear on my primary(s), but for now, there are more pressing matters to throw my money at.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Why would you buy a weapon that is uneffective in combat. I didn't buy a gun to shoot targets. Ask the troops in iraq if the short barrel m-4's(shooting the 5.56) have good take down power. So go home and paint your magazines and get your blue handguards. My friends that are marines have the full size rifles. I just figured you would need all the barrel length you can get. So its kind of dumb to lose even more velocity.why do you think the 6.8 was created. So you can shoot targets. They need more stopping power at longer ranges. Even with a 12" barrel the 6.8 has more power than a m-4 shooting the 62 and 77 gr bullets. Oh! I forgot you guys are the navy seals that still live in your parents basement.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for sharing....I look forward to learning more from your expertise.

Im not a SEAL, but are you?  Or is just the mere fact that you have lots of "friends in the Marines" mean Im suppossed to fall down and bow to you and your all knowing fucking internet wisdom?  

Close up shop boys, we got us real fucking in-the-flesh expert here to set us internet-commandos straight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no clue why this barrel profile even deserves any heated exchanges over. But after reading this mess of a thread here is my 2 cents:

1. 99% of what you guys are arguing about is preference, not much of it makes a difference in shooting.

2. While the military does use the 14.5 inh M4 profile, I think it is a compromise at best for performance.

So if you want a easy to manuver around rifle and relatively good ballistics, my choice is very similar to Mongoo's. Just a Colt light weight 16inch, no need for a bs FH(Maybe a comp laterfor better muzzle control), rugged A2 upper, Collapsible stock. Barrel is a light 1/7 with no Bayo lugs.

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why would you buy a weapon that is uneffective in combat. I didn't buy a gun to shoot targets. Ask the troops in iraq if the short barrel m-4's(shooting the 5.56) have good take down power. So go home and paint your magazines and get your blue handguards. My friends that are marines have the full size rifles. I just figured you would need all the barrel length you can get. So its kind of dumb to lose even more velocity.why do you think the 6.8 was created. So you can shoot targets. They need more stopping power at longer ranges. Even with a 12" barrel the 6.8 has more power than a m-4 shooting the 62 and 77 gr bullets. Oh! I forgot you guys are the navy seals that still live in your parents basement.

Not shit the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics than 5.56?  Wow with twice the recoil energy who would have suspected?  Why not run an M1A then for even more stopping power?  Its shorter in amny versions than your 20" AR15 is.  The M4 has adequate fragmentation of 75 grain ammo to 100 yards.  Who exactly are you going to be shooting at over 100 yards in self defense?  Or are you certified actual poweleece sniper with l33t skillz?
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 Or are you certified actual poweleece sniper with l33t skillz?

Speaking of the Pink Power ranger, you have been missing in action young Pedame.

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

[ralphwiggum]Me fail English? That's unpossible.[/ralphwiggum]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#22]
ATTENTION ALL AR15 SHOOTERS:

All future gun purchases must be cleared with valblade to verify the combat effectiveness of said weapons.

And absolutely no shooting at targets.

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know if anyone has said this, but you should really go to ABS (through MGI) and get your barrel turned and carbon wrapped.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 3:44:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I always shoot at targets - some of them just don't speak English very well

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding those Canuks as well, eh?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#26]
AS this thread has turned funny as $#!T, let me add one serious opinion first...

Correct. So then why all the crying for all these off the wall and custom barrel profiles from the major manufacturers, which would likely take months to pull off, when you can have it, whatever "it" is, by next week.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you that sometimes, some folks get CARRIED AWAY with "why can't you make it with this at the chamber, tapered three times to this behind the gas block, which I want a custom .700, then .659 out to the end..."  I don't consider this particular one to be "off the wall" or "custom" since there are/were factory barrels made to these specs by at least two seperate companies...  I also think that, with the increasing popularity and interest in the superlight barrels, somebody like CMMG or Sabre Defense could do them up and sell them well.

One more thing since this thread is already on it's way to Cuba... Thanks again for that sling adapter... I installed it last night (instead of cleaning the bathroom like the wife demanded) and it fits nice and snug.  I mean, who else would go out of their way to MAKE pins for ya?

NOW back to the fun and games...  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top