Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm so going Crayola...

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this fact or fiction about the Crayons? Truth please.
I have wanted to highlight the logos on my weapons. I was thinking about using a fine brush and painting them.

If this is not BS can you tell me the proper steps on how to prep the surface?
Or do you just melt it in?    
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is this fact or fiction about the Crayons? Truth please.
I have wanted to highlight the logos on my weapons. I was thinking about using a fine brush and painting them.

If this is not BS can you tell me the proper steps on how to prep the surface?
Or do you just melt it in?    

If you go back about six posts, you can see where I told NewARGirl exactly how I applied crayon to my lower, and exactly how it turned out.  RIF.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut the bayo lug and add some M4 ramp cuts......that'll bring the weight down!
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]

I was thinking about using a fine brush and painting them.

As learned from WECSOG on l1a1.com, I used Testors model paint and just slapped paint all around and in the lettering.  Then I used a little bit of the Testors paint thinner on a cotton cleaning pad to wipe the excess off.  It leaves the paint in the lettering behind.  It should be more durable than a crayon.

On a rifle I'm building for my boss, I painted the letters in with a tan that matches his stock and grip.  I think it looks good, and I'll see if he likes it next week when he sees it for the first time.  For another rifle I'm building, at the request of the owner I colored the letters on the lower and the T numbers on the flattop and handguards in with neon orange.  I think it looks tacky, but really he likes it.z
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Whats up with that... first people get into the Krylon thing. Now its the Crayola thing?

Krylon , It's just Crayola for big kids.

Neil, dont you have an SPR type build thats painted ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You all laugh now, but just wait until you see who converted to Crayola today...
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It is just a thought, maybe you should of used a 11.5 inch barrel to save a few more ounces on your lightweight build.
Looks good, like the work  can´t  wait to see the crayons.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Crayola pictures are on the way.  We had a lot of fun with it this afternoon.  JohnnyEgo is a creative genius!!  Everyone at Gun Gallery who saw the process or finished product thought it looked great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
New-arguy wiping the rifle down after putting it together.

Very nice Kerri!   But next time- instead of having Neil do it, build it yourself.   Even if you don't know how, have him supervise and walk you through it.   Its so simple, and you will have the satisfaction and enjoyment of being able to say, "I built it myself ."   You can do it!

What days at GGJax do the in-crowd hang out?   I might be able to drop by (dump the fam at Regency Square...)

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Coolness, I'm sure that you'll have a blast with it
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Since you guys are shaving ounces anywhere you can, may I suggest shortening the barrel to 14.5" to knock off another 2oz?  As yet another proud owner of a superlight, that's what I'll be doing next.  

I'm so fond of the superlight I built, that I moved the barrel onto my ORIGINAL AR15 that I purchased in 1993!  It started life as a Bushy 11.5/5.5 with the original 2-position stock which, BTW, I replaced with the 1.5oz heavier M4 stock, and can't go back to the original because the angle of the M4 is SO much more comfortable!  The corner of the original CAR stock dug into my shoulder every time I fired
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
6 pounds huh?  I think the HK21E stock on my HK21 weighs about that much by itself
I use my '21  to do CQB drills (about 20 pounds), that way my heavy ass AR15 would feel like but a stick in my hands
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
6 pounds huh?  I think the HK21E stock on my HK21 weighs about that much by itself
I use my '21  to do CQB drills (about 20 pounds), that way my heavy ass AR15 would feel like but a stick in my hands

[cough]Geer Queer[/cough]

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, A few years back, I did some of the white Crayon "Highlighting" on a
Glock 17 Slide. It came out nice.

That was a far as I was willing to go on my pistols.

A few monthes back, i decided to "highlight" a couple knight's panels, They came out nice and they remain
on the bottom 6 O' Clock of my RAS/RISs.

Again, that was as far as i was willing to go with my rifles.

The cool thing, is if you don't like the outcome, a little hot water and a tooth brush
will return your lettering to normal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

[cough]takes one to know one[/cough]

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[cough]takes one to know one[/cough]

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
New-arguy wiping the rifle down after putting it together.

Very nice Kerri!   But next time- instead of having Neil do it, build it yourself.   Even if you don't know how, have him supervise and walk you through it.   Its so simple, and you will have the satisfaction and enjoyment of being able to say, "I built it myself ."   You can do it!

What days at GGJax do the in-crowd hang out?   I might be able to drop by (dump the fam at Regency Square...)

Do you realize that your words of inspiration and encouragement give me no choice other than to build ANOTHER rifle (this time hands on - myself) even sooner than I had planned to?  Thank you!  All I needed was a tiny little nudge!

Neil works Tuesdays 10am-8pm, and Wednesday thru Saturday 10am-5pm, and I will make sure to be hanging out at Gun Gallery whenever you make plans to be there!  Please let us know!  I have more fun there than just about anywhere else.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I might be able to drop by

Your coming to Jax??? There goes the neighborhood.....

NO shit, make sure to bring the pretty lady that poses with your guns HEHE. Hey John, when are you going to shoot with us at the FDCC shoots man?
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Kisara will bring hugs and kisses from me
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Congratulation on a nice build. I like lightweights. I have a couple of them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm there every Friday afternoon.  Sometimes, Kerri even lets me hold her rifles.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Here are some of the Crayola pix.  Unfortunately, most of the close-ups didn't turn out too well.  

Here's JohnnyEgo in the back corner of Gun Gallery Jax working his magic with a heat gun and the olive crayon I chose.

This one's a little blurry...he's melting the crayon on pretty thickly before wiping the excess away.

The finished product, front and back....

Now New-arguy wants in on the action....hmmmm...he has 95 colors to choose from!

This is New-arguy "Crayola-izing" one of two rifles that day.

Which one's next?

I'm very happy with the Crayola effect on my lightweight, even though the detail doesn't show here.  Did anyone notice that Tactical Matt got a new hat?

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Whats up with that... first people get into the Krylon thing. Now its the Crayola thing?

Everyone knows that its for the children! And Crayola is environmentally safe with no aftertaste.

Besides you need to be over 18 to buy Krylon at Wally World, with crayola, no ID required.

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
The final step on the new lightweight...
New-arguy and I went shooting at Bradford yesterday, and with his help I got the rifle's sights zeroed.  It didn't take too much adjusting.  Now, all that's left is the compact ACOG.

I guess I got a little carried away with the crayola thing....but now my priorities are back in order. The rifle shoots pretty darn good, and that's what really counts.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top