BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Leupold, S&B, NightForce, etc.  Damn there are a lot of choices.

The great thing about it is that they are all very good choices, and thanks to ARMS and LaRue Tactical, carrying an additional "useful" optic for a weapon is no harder than carrying a spare magazine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Leupold, S&B, NightForce, etc.  Damn there are a lot of choices.

The great thing about it is that they are all very good choices, and thanks to ARMS and LaRue Tactical, carrying an additional "useful" optic for a weapon is no harder than carrying a spare magazine.

yep....Aimpoint M2 fits in the case to back up my Leupy..............
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody run a suppressor with their Recce?

I got my PRI Gas Buster charging handle in today in hopes that down the line I will find a Troy suppressor in my hands.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2005 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I got my PRI Gas Buster charging handle in today in hopes that down the line I will find a Troy suppressor in my hands.  

I don't have a Recce, but I do run a supressor.  I prefer my ghetto gas buster mod ($3) over my $90 PRI Gas Buster charging handle.

Read my reply about it here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=253054

Link Posted: 10/18/2005 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a Recce, but I do run a supressor.  I prefer my ghetto gas buster mod ($3) over my $90 PRI Gas Buster charging handle.

Read my reply about it here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=253054

Seems I should have read that first.    

Good info there aside from my smart-ass answer on the first page.

Quoted:
I must admit not noticing much with the GasBuster in terms of crap reduction (maybe I just don't pay attention to that) with a can on.

I do like the fact it is big and robust.

I was under the assumption that the Gas Buster only redirected the gas that exits out the rear of the gun when a suppressor is used.

Is it suppossed to also reduce the amount of crap in the reciever too?  I hear that guns with suppressors get dirtier than guns that don't have them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry I meant a reduction in crap blown at me.
But I shoot NTCH and in glasses

Ok gotcha.

You think a bipod would be useful or unnecessary weight?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By mattld

All in all it has taken a while but the more it nears completion the more I like it.  There is nothing like having a vision then slowly watching it develope over time...

Good for you. Its awsome.
I like the contour of that barrel in particular.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By mattld

All in all it has taken a while but the more it nears completion the more I like it.  There is nothing like having a vision then slowly watching it develope over time...

Good for you. Its awsome.
I like the contour of that barrel in particular.

Thanks.

I went with Denny's RECON barrel because I liked the profile, it was in 1:7, and it was SS.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking recce.  I have been playing with the idea of leaving the FSB on my next recce. going that route after I saw yours.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice looking recce.  I have been playing with the idea of leaving the FSB on my next recce. going that route after I saw yours.

Yeah I am a sucker for irons.  

Updates on the gun so far.  It now has its charging handle (PRI Gasbuster for future addition of Troy Suppressor), H2 buffer and spring, various parts for the M93B (strike plate, sling plate), and some TD panels and MagPul ladder panels for the rail.

Next stop will be the bolt carrier and Troy BUIS so that I can actually go shoot this thing.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't help but respect and echo the comments by USMC03 and KevinB...

I had a chance to play with the Aimpoint 3X Magnifier a little bit at a recent carbine class, and it was cool and it gave the guy running it a big advantage on the steels at 200 yards... But, it also had a lot of distortion around the edges of the FOV. I think it's a cool concept, but I think it needs work and is too expensive for what it is.

The Aimpoint/Magnifier combo is great if you only have one gun that must do it all, but if you want a better "eyeball" for use at longer than indoor distances I think the ACOG (TA-31F) or Leupold MR/T series are better alternatives and are more value-added.

Hope this helps,
Clint

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The real advantage of the 3X magnifier doesn't come in till you put it on the flip mount (so you can get it out of the way). No FOV problem then.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm definately interested in hearing some more opinions as far as optics go.  I'm having a tough time deciding between a NSX 2.5x10 or simply adding an Aimpoint 3X magnifier to my 2 MOA M3.  Obviously each setup has advantages and disadvantages, depending on the intended purpose.  I'm leaning toward the NSX with the aimpoint as an optional optic...

As with all such posts at arfcom, you've already gotten a TON of varying opinions...  But I have had two different Nightforce NXS 2.5-10's and though they are awsome optics, they have what I consider to be a very limited niche.   Great for a rifle that is is meant mostly for 100+ yard shooting.  Not great for 0-100yds though.

I tried the FC-2 reticle first - dot was too big for any kind of precision.  Tried the NP-R2 next - better for precision, but too fine for CQB (especially with the lowest power setting being 2.5x).  I sold it and my TA11F and have a Short Dot on the way... but for a lower budget alternative, I'd say the Horus Talon might be a good deal.  Kind of an unknown as far as ruggedness goes, but looks like a good combination of speed and precision that is appropriate for a 16" carbine.

Just another opinion.

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm definately interested in hearing some more opinions as far as optics go.  I'm having a tough time deciding between a NSX 2.5x10 or simply adding an Aimpoint 3X magnifier to my 2 MOA M3.  Obviously each setup has advantages and disadvantages, depending on the intended purpose.  I'm leaning toward the NSX with the aimpoint as an optional optic...

As with all such posts at arfcom, you've already gotten a TON of varying opinions...  But I have had two different Nightforce NXS 2.5-10's and though they are awsome optics, they have what I consider to be a very limited niche.   Great for a rifle that is is meant mostly for 100+ yard shooting.  Not great for 0-100yds though.

I tried the FC-2 reticle first - dot was too big for any kind of precision.  Tried the NP-R2 next - better for precision, but too fine for CQB (especially with the lowest power setting being 2.5x).  I sold it and my TA11F and have a Short Dot on the way... but for a lower budget alternative, I'd say the Horus Talon might be a good deal.  Kind of an unknown as far as ruggedness goes, but looks like a good combination of speed and precision that is appropriate for a 16" carbine.

Just another opinion.

I would like to go the Short Dot route but that is a bit beyond my means.  I am currently leaning toward either the NightForce you mentioned above or the Leupold MR/T Mark 4 1.5-5x20 scope seen here
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would like to go the Short Dot route but that is a bit beyond my means.  I am currently leaning toward either the NightForce you mentioned above or the Leupold MR/T Mark 4 1.5-5x20 scope seen here

Forgive me if I'm covering ground that's already been covered here, but it really depends on what role you see your recce filling.  The Nighforce is a SUPER nice optic, I just feel it's better suited to an SPR or SAM type rifle.  The Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 is pretty decent for the money, and gives you the BDC turret.  Assuming it's not excessively fragile, the Horus Talon is better than either one of those if you plan to use your carbine for a lot of CQB type shooting.  The first focal plane reticle gives you a usefully sized circle at 1x and the "Christmas tree" looks like it would be pretty handy for ranging and holdover.  Also, if I remember right, battery life is a LOT longer with the Horus.

BTW, C4iGrant (G&R Tactical) is selling the Horus and the MR/T for roughly the same price, which is about $300-$350 less than the best price I've seen on the NXS.

FWIW, I tried looking at this "problem" every way I could think of trying to talk myself out of buying a Short Dot, and I came to the same conclusion Grant did in his recent post on 1-4x optics comparisons - Best option is the Short Dot, and for $1000 less the 2nd best would be the Horus.  Check it out - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=254584

Of course, if you don't plan to do the CQB type thing very much, a Nightforce NXS would be pretty hard to beat!

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive me if I'm covering ground that's already been covered here, but it really depends on what role you see your recce filling.  The Nighforce is a SUPER nice optic, I just feel it's better suited to an SPR or SAM type rifle.  The Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 is pretty decent for the money, and gives you the BDC turret.  Assuming it's not excessively fragile, the Horus Talon is better than either one of those if you plan to use your carbine for a lot of CQB type shooting.  The first focal plane reticle gives you a usefully sized circle at 1x and the "Christmas tree" looks like it would be pretty handy for ranging and holdover.  Also, if I remember right, battery life is a LOT longer with the Horus.

BTW, C4iGrant (G&R Tactical) is selling the Horus and the MR/T for roughly the same price, which is about $300-$350 less than the best price I've seen on the NXS.

FWIW, I tried looking at this "problem" every way I could think of trying to talk myself out of buying a Short Dot, and I came to the same conclusion Grant did in his recent post on 1-4x optics comparisons - Best option is the Short Dot, and for $1000 less the 2nd best would be the Horus.  Check it out - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=254584

Of course, if you don't plan to do the CQB type thing very much, a Nightforce NXS would be pretty hard to beat!

Thanks for the opinion.  I appreciate it.

After much consideration the past few weeks I have come to the conclusion that I do not need to have to justify getting an optic that melds the quickness  (in CQB terms) of the Aimpoint with the precision I'd like at slightly longer ranges that a full blown 3-9 optic would afford me.

I am going to follow the ARFCOM motto and eventually get one of each.  I am planning on getting an Aimpoint ML3 in a LaRue mount and a medium range optic (of the Leupold, Nightforce, Horus, and S&B brands) in a LaRue mount.  

For my needs I don't need to find a happy medium as I can switch out the optics with the repeatable mounts and be fine.  I figure, this way, I don't have to decide on one optic and be stuck with that decision.  I can now just choose the magnified optic that is best at just that, being magnified.  

And in that respect, I don't feel like I need a high power optic for my carbine as I want to be able to reach out and touch something but I don't plan on this gun being anything like a SPR or SAM.  I will let yall know what I decide on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're going to switch 'em back and forth anyway, the ML3/NXS combo would be pretty hard to beat.  That's basically what I've been doing for the past couple of years (ML2/NXS).  My problem is that some of the stuff I shoot goes from 0-400 yds and everything in between.  Hard find one piece of glass that will do all that and do it well.  Hence my decision to finally bite the bullet and get the Short Dot.  It's not perfect for either job, but I'll have one optic that can handle everything I plan to use it for.

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Great thread

Just as soon as I tell myself "I'm going to build X and then no more AR's" I always stumble on a thread like this.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Great thread

Just as soon as I tell myself "I'm going to build X and then no more AR's" I always stumble on a thread like this.

I got bit by the Recce bug mid last week.  Credit card is about to be maxed out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I am going to follow the ARFCOM motto and eventually get one of each.

Excellent decision!

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am going to follow the ARFCOM motto and eventually get one of each.

Excellent decision!

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/50171437/original.jpg

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/51693714/original.jpg

I'm going to start with the Aimpoint ML3 in a LaRue mount cause I likes me my Aimpoints.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread got me going on another one.  Just ordered a Noveske barreled upper with the same DD rail and FSB as yours from Denny.  Going the two optic route also.  Mounting my Eotech on a Larue mount.  Not sure about the mid range optic, going to take my time and do my homework.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This thread got me going on another one.  Just ordered a Noveske barreled upper with the same DD rail and FSB as yours from Denny.  Going the two optic route also.  Mounting my Eotech on a Larue mount.  Not sure about the mid range optic, going to take my time and do my homework.

Any reason you went with a fixed FSB?  I would think that it would get in the way of whatever scope you mount.  I'm working on a mid-range rifle as well, so I'm just currious.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I went with the fixed FSP for three reasons.

First, I love iron sights.  I am a sucker for good ole' irons.

Second, I knew that I would be using an Aimpoint (or Short Dot) on this gun and I like the FSP in the sight picture of the Aimpoint when I shoot.  I like how if the Aimpoint goes down I can use the Aimpoint tube as a sort of ghost ring and place shots pretty well out to 25 meters using just that.  Also, with only a folding BUIS behind it, I can cowitness easier in case I need to (flipping one thing beats flipping two).

And lastly, the FSP is not a big issue with a magnified optic.  Even if I was to get a 3-9x Leupold, all I would see of the FSP, if at all, would be a slight blur of the post.  And, when I get the lower power optic (like the Short Dot or Leupold Mark4), I would assume the blur would be no more distracting than the FSP as viewed through an ACOG.

In all I thought this thing out thoroughly before I decided on putting the FSP on there.  And yes, it is stamped "F".

The advantages (for me) outweighed the negative of the blur for magnified optics (if you even want to call that a negative).

Hope  this helps.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Rail covers? Gonna try the two shades of TD and see what works best,

M93B with dark earth TDI pistol grip:

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Rail covers? Gonna try the two shades of TD and see what works best,

M93B with dark earth TDI pistol grip:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/boltcatch/goodshot.jpg

I have it i how I like it now.

Magpul M93B in coyote brown, Magpul MIAD in coyote brown, Magpul ladder panels in coyote brown, and TangoDown rail panels in dark earth.  

I feel the difference between the two in minimal.  

But I will say the difference bewteen the TD Tan and the Magpul CB was quite significant.

I will get some updated pic up on Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]
tag for ideas
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Going the OD route on mine.  I have a OD 93B with an Ergo grip.  Deciding on the rail pannels.  Matt, are you going to add a bipod, I was looking at the GG&G?
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Going the OD route on mine.  I have a OD 93B with an Ergo grip.  Deciding on the rail pannels.  Matt, are you going to add a bipod, I was looking at the GG&G?

I thought about it.  As of right now, no, but maybe in the future.  If I do it will be a Harris since I have another on a bolt gun and I really like it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Done any updates on yours yet?  I am waiting for my upper to come in and still trying to decide on the optic.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#34]
No, no significant updates yet.  I have been spending the money I have to spend on it on a case, magazines, ammo, etc right now.  Also I have all the internals now and am using another AR's BUIS to do function tests.

I have however decided that I am going to put a Leupold MRT 1.5-5x on it.  Probably in a LaRue mount.  

I should have everything I need for it after Christmas.  That's when I will do a more significant update to this thread.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#35]
"How can anyone really make a recommendation on optics or a BUIS without first knowing what type of shooting you plan on doing with the gun (ie. distances, estimated target sizes, rate of fire, type of movement involved, level of accuracy needed / expected, etc)."

Easilly.  Get a tritium equipped backup and a 1.1-4power Ior.

You can't really go wrong.  CQB -- no problem-- 600meters no problem.  Anything further than 100yds  on a target that is not shooting at you specifically you really need a magnified optic to identify targets in the High liability world of todays battlefield.  

I understand that covers 90% of work.  It won't cover SPR/sniper type roles while could probably use a 3-9 3.5-10 or 2-12power sight when mounted on a 5.56 rifle and utilized to the full extent of the 700-800meter range of the Mk262 ammo.  But these rifles trade close-in speed and efficiency for that extra range which is why I would stay away from those optics unless the rifle is going to be primarily intended for that role.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
"How can anyone really make a recommendation on optics or a BUIS without first knowing what type of shooting you plan on doing with the gun (ie. distances, estimated target sizes, rate of fire, type of movement involved, level of accuracy needed / expected, etc)."

They can't. It's just like posts on BUIS with elevation adjustments. On a CQB only weapon, it makes no sense, but on a MR/LR weapon it does.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I really like my TR-20 Accupoint on my recce rifle. The extra magnification really helps, and at 3x it acts like an ACOG. Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I really like my TR-20 Accupoint on my recce rifle. The extra magnification really helps, and at 3x it acts like an ACOG. Just my .02

What type of mount are you using with that scope?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What type of mount are you using with that scope?

A set of high rings right now. I am saving pennies for a LaRue...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey Matt, make any headway with yours?  I recieved my upper from Denny a couple weeks ago, he does great work.  I do have to admit that I chickened out at the last minute and went with the Larue 13.2 with no FSB.  I'm still without optics for this one.  Have the Larue SPR mount on order.  Been looking at the 2.5-10 Nikon Tactical.  Some good prices and reviews on them.  Only drawback is their weight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Nah, no updates as of yet.  

Only new addition was a CMT carrying handle and then a TROY BUIS.  I have been practicing my competency with these before I get the Leupold 1.5-5x scope.

I also got it an iShot case, and other little do dads, like cleaning supplies, mags, ammo, etc.  

What also set me back a bit was the TA01NSN ACog for my M4.

Here's a recent pic.  Like I said, nothing new, just a pic with the CMT carrying handle.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm going with a 300M KAC rear (it's on it's 2nd Iraq tour with me) and my ACOG RCO (1st tour) for my Recce build. I suppose what I'm building is a Recce. 16" SS match barrel, FF front end, and a good trigger. In the sort of country in which I generally hang out, a 300 meter iron-sighted combat shot would be the ragged edge of what I'd have to do, anything past that will either be a Kentucky-windage holdover until I get a backup optic on the rifle.

Guess I need to shop for a Larue base (to replace the RCO issue) and a folding front sight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#44]

details (for team members) are on the archive server:
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=231558

ar-jedi

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top