Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Mine will be in tomorrow...and I hope that it will be as fun to shoot as the video looked....

My first thought when I saw the video was, "how freakin cool will that be with my sanil mag on it....?"

Based on pix on page #1.....my answer is Schweeeeeet!

Now what front hand grip to put on the lower picatinny on the hand guards.......and what optic to use?????

Hey fizassist.......lighten up life is short...go have some fun!

Quality report, range report incoming I hope.

Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said...range reports and more pics.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.thegunsource.com/shopping_search.aspx?manbp=1&idcategory=2&idmanufacturer=&page=2&pics=True&strsearch=kel-tec

PLR-16  $473.30

For that, I can put together an AR.  Still way too high for me.  It would have to be way below $400 before I  would want to pick one up to play with.  But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I see you still got your head in the cloud chamber
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty neat. I won't buy one though since I'm already set on an AR platform for a pistol. Now, if Kel-Tec came out with an upper for a good price... I'd buy one without hesitation

I think the target audience is a little different than most of us here are.

I will say this though..

I'm sold on the Kel-Tec Bayonet.. PLR when will these be available?! Be nice to have a bayonet that doubles as a folding knife.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Here Is my PLR-16 got it last Sunday but have not shot it yet was going to go this weekend but the flu but got me

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=217595
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.thegunsource.com/shopping_search.aspx?manbp=1&idcategory=2&idmanufacturer=&page=2&pics=True&strsearch=kel-tec

PLR-16  $473.30

For that, I can put together an AR.  Still way too high for me.  It would have to be way below $400 before I  would want to pick one up to play with.  But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I see you still got your head in the cloud chamber

What are you talking about, and what does it have to do with this thread?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey fizassist.......lighten up life is short...go have some fun!

Yep, the usual shit.  Some numbnuts calls you a liar, you defend yourself, and you're the asshole.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked one up today in Ganiesville, GA.  Paid $500 out the door, can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot it right away and get back to us with many pictures and a in-depth range report...

PLEASE! PLEASE!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope to be at the range tomorrow with it and my new M4 I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  I'll let you know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Anxiously awaiting....thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Uhhh, Bumpfire?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is my report for the first time shooting the PLR-16.

I shot it indoors at a nice range, had to use one of the two rifle lanes.  

Very loud, the guy next to me said to his son a couple of times, "That is a loud gun he is shooting".

I let his son, about 16, rattle off ten rounds, no problems and the boy loved the gun and sight.

But back to my shooting, I had two loaded 30rd mags and some loose ammo.  The first mag went in and the bolt did not fully close.  I pushed it foreard and fired the pistol, the next several rounds worked fine.  This happened a couple of times.  Of the 80 rounds I fired maybe three failures to fully close when using GI mags.  This happened at first, during most of the last rounds no problems.  

The real big problem was using the factory mag, it jammed almost every round with a failure to feed/close.  

One thing I really miss on the pistol is a manual, externally operated bolt hold open control.

As for accuracy, this pistol shoot pretty well, was not unhappy with that.

All in all, it did okay for a new gun, needs to be broke in.  The guy next to me was shooting an AR, he was have ejection problems with his rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice report and thanks.

Some questions:
Did you take apart the gun and clean, inspect and lube it properly? I know you probably did but, just asking.
Did you inspect the chamber and the edges,throat, ramp for fins, edges, burrs and remove them?
Were there any extraction, or ejection problems? I did not read of any so there were probably not any.
What kind/type of ammo did you use?
At what distance did you shoot the gun?
What were the groups like? 1" at 20 yards, 2" at 50 yards?
What kind/type of mag were you using?
When it failed to go into battery was that simply when you fed the first round or was it during the process of firing the whole magazine?
Were the factory iron sights set about right?

I have many many more questions if you are up for it.
I am busting a gut to buy one of these but don't want to if the gun is a POS.

Many thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]
What I did was remove the gun from the box, operate the bolt a couple of times, dry fired it and put a couple of drops of oil onto the bolt through the ejection port.  I ran a patch down the barrel to check for debris.  I mounted the EOTech, grap some ammo and went to the range.  My time was very limited today and I just had to shoot the gun.  I was using Georgia Arms Ammo, a very good reloading company.  The mags were just some olt GI mags I had laying around.  I was shooting on a 25 yard range, target out about 20, final grouping was about1.5-2 inches.  The first failure to go into battery was when released the bolt the first time.   Afew were during firing, but the factory mag was horrible, almost all of the rounds from it.  I removed the rear factory when I mounted the EOTech, did not like the way it looked.

The range I shoot at is closed on Mondays, so tomorrow I plan on breaking the gun down and going over the whole thing.  If I need to, I will break out my Dremel and polish anything that might need it.

I will say that it needs the optional front handguard, you don't want to touch the hot parts up front.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Many thanks Peacekeeper!
You have helped me to decide to go forward with this pistol. Like you, I know that Keltec products often need some 'fluff and buff' to help them along.
Please keep us posted with your follow-up range results.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Field stripped it and cleaned her up.  It will be a bear if you want to polish the chamber, but I guess possible.  I don't like that you can only run a cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle.  A good gun for a Bore Snake.  Not too hard to field strip, just read the manual.

I'll let you know how the next time I shoot it goes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Got it yesterday [Dec.19] for $530 out the door including an extra 30 round mag.
Shot 140 rounds of Win White Box 55 grn. with no failures whatsoever. A real hoot with a huge flash and loud sound. People at the range were gasping when it went off.
At my range, we don't have 25 yds. target so I did 50 and 100.
Nowdays, with my poor eyesight, I don't hardly use irons but shot 3" groups at 50 and 6" at 100. Not too bad with a loosely supported pistol, shaking hands and bad eyesight. Had to adjust the elevation as it was shooting 6" high initially.
As for the quality, the bolt, cam, pin etc. are very AR15 like and of good machined quality. Trigger was OK but getting a little better by the end of the session.
The fun factor is really high with this gun.
So far, I believe that Keltec has hit a grand-slam with this one! It is not an AR folks, OK?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrads on your "it's not an AR pistol" pistol.  I told you it is loud, I was shooting mine on an indoors range.  Did your 10 round mag work okay for you?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
No, I started with a proven reliable 20 rounder. That way, the mag thing is taken out of the equation when testing a new weapon. I did load the 10 rounder tonite and it seemed, uh, kind of iffy. We shall see. Next range session, I plan to try the 10 round mag along with a 30 and try the gun in different positions to test ejection. I am also going to shoot 200 yds. just to see if I can hit paper. Dear God, I can not even focus on a target hardly at 200 yds.!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Our local store has them for $440 + tax. I came close to picking one up.

Quoted:
Kel-Tec has a new "AR" Pistol - the PLR-16 (and, yes, it is available)

The PLR-16 is a gas operated, semi-automatic pistol chambered in 5.56 mm NATO caliber and it accepts standard AR magazines. It has a 9.2" barrel that is threaded 1/2"-28 to accept standard attachments such as a muzzle brake.

www.kel-tec.com/images/plr_stock_right.jpg

www.kel-tec.com/images/plr_forend_sling_scope_wt.jpg

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Soooooo when does the pistol caliber version come out?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Soooooo when does the pistol caliber version come out?

I hear it's coming out in 2007.  Secret photos I obtained:

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Prompt, stop trolling
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
First off, I like it....and this isn't being negative, but I have a question.

To me, it looks like the the front part of the bolt carrier (I'm using AR terms here, they may not be correct for this pistol) The part that extends and kind of becomes the gas piston, is left out in the open with no exterior shroud. If you tried to shoot it without the additional forearm part (say you tried to make your own) wouldn't it burn the hell out of your off hand when it is cycling all the hot pressurized gas?

Will the handguard (optional add on) be enough to keep these hot gasses away from the off hand.

I am maybe not seeing this correctly...please shed some light.

Short-stroke piston design, presumably...

The piston should stay within the gas-block for the entire firing cycle...

Gas should vent from the gas block only...

But I still preferr the AR system, anyhow...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top