Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Come on, tell us... who made the upper ?hr

In the interest of giving them a fair shot to make things right, I'm going to withold the dealer's name until this matter has been resolved.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In the interest of giving them a fair shot to make things right, I'm going to withold the dealer's name until this matter has been resolved.

That's fair of you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
My chamber seems to be ok -- (best picture I could get) Somebody mentioned the danger of a gap between the chamber and barrel being introduced by the malfunction.  I can make out a thin dark ring in that picture (see arrow), but I don't know if this is unusual or not.  Please advise.

http://www.pitt.edu/~heh12/chamber.jpg
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks to be OK to me at least from the picture.  

I was the one who brought it up.  The gap I was refering to was NOT inside the barrel.  What I was concerned about was the round going off without it being fully seated in the chamber.  Thus if the round was fired without it being fully chamberd (seated all the way in) the bullet would have jumped a gap  between the chamber and the bore.

After reading Jason_H's post I think my thought of the above situation (the bullet jumping a hypothetical gap during the last shot) was ill advised.  If you looked at it with a flash light and didn't notice any damage it could be OK.

I still feel you should get a whole new complete upper +missing / broken parts from whoever you bought it from.  The manufacturer was grossly negligent and should make extreme efforts to make it right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have spoken with the dealer and he has advised me to send the upper and broken stock back for a total reassembly, examination, test firing, etc. He will replace the broken parts free of charge and cover shipping. I am very pleased  with how he is working to solve the matter.

I am still sorta on the fence about mentioning their name here. Let it be said I have been exteremly happy with their service and support. I am afraid that even associating them with my rifle's debacle (that was due to an anomaly RRA had putting together my bolt carrier) will hurt them more than help them. I'd still reccomend them to anyone building an AR-15. Send me a private message if you would like to know their name, but please don't post it in this thread.

I'm not trying to keep people in the dark about a potential "bad dealer" - because I think this dealer is quite the opposite. I just think that people will draw the wrong assumptions about them skimming this thread and the photos.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
WAIT A SECOND, HOLD THE PHONE!!!

In the quoted post below, Creeper1313's "buddy" MichaelBeverage states that the parts were purchased seperately, and assembled by Creeper1313.

Quoted:
My homie Creeper actually bought all of that stuff from ************ and it's all made of quality RRA components so I highly doubt the rifle is to blame. However he did put it together himself so he might be at fault for improper assembly. Either that or the cheap shit ammo he was using.

Edit: I edited out the name of the company because it appears that most people seem to think that the company Creeper bought it from is responsible. I highly doubt that's the case. I tried to tell him to take the upper and lower to a qualified smith for assembly but he was intent on doing it himself. I spent quite a bit of money with the company he ordered the upper from, they've taken good care of me every time I've ordered something. I have no doubt if it is the company's fault that they will take care of the customer.

But in Creeper1313's later post, he states that he bough a COMPLETE upper:

Quoted:
In response to Daubs: Is there any way to tell if there is a gap between my barrel and chamber without taking the upper completely apart? The reason I got the "complete" upper is because I lack the tools to put one together. I shined a bright flashlight in through the bottom of the upper while looking up the bore and I couldn't see any noticible damage to the bore or the chamber, but it's hard to say if there's a gap between them.

So which is it? Did Creeper1313 buy upper receiver components and assemble them himself, per MichaelBeverage's claims,

OR

did Creeper1313 buy a complete upper from a dealer?

If you bought a complete RRA upper through a dealer, and it came with no gas key installed on the bolt carrier, I'd say you got hosed by RRA (assuming the dealer didn't assemble it from components).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So which is it? Did Creeper1313 buy upper receiver components and assemble them himself, per MichaelBeverage's claims,

OR

did Creeper1313 buy a complete upper from a dealer?

If you bought a complete RRA upper through a dealer, and it came with no gas key installed on the bolt carrier, I'd say you got hosed by RRA (assuming the dealer didn't assemble it from components).

I bought a complete upper and a disassembled lower. That's what MichealBevereage meant by "put it together". I think when he made the comment he didn't know what part failed, the upper parts that RRA put together, or the lower that I put together (that or he just likes to be a pain in the ass). As it turns out, the bolt carrier was the cause. Regardless of it being RRA's fault, the dealer is standing behind their merch. and is replacing anything that got damaged due to this defect.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Jeeeeezzzzzz napalm.... you are really reaching on that one.

Here, let me state it like you can understand:

SOME PEOPLE THINK SNAPPING A COMPLETE UPPER ON A COMPLETE LOWER IS BUIDING YOUR OWN RIFLE, OR "PUTTING IT TOGETHER"

Are we clear now?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, what I meant to say was that Creep purchased the completed upper and attached it to his lower receiver. Creeper bought a barreled upper receiver and attached it to a lower receiver. Just wanted to clear that up :-)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I built both of my AR-15s using complete uppers and assembling the rest.  However, one thing I did before even starting the build was to read every book I could find to tell me how the gun worked.  I read the Marines manual, the build outline here on AR-15.com, a book on how to build an AR and the Army manual.  Then once I had the units assembled I loaded up 6 snap caps and cycled them through multiple times to make sure all was well.  Then as a last measure, I took both guns to my local smith to have him check them over and test fire them.  Call me overly cautious, but I plan to follow this same regime for all guns I build.

My $0.02.

M590man
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have spoken with the dealer and he has advised me to send the upper and broken stock back for a total reassembly, examination, test firing, etc. He will replace the broken parts free of charge and cover shipping. I am very pleased  with how he is working to solve the matter.

I'm glad to see that your dealer is standing behind his merchandise and fixing your mishap properly.  This is a much perfered way fo dealing with a problem than to involve lawyers.  They are the death of the industry anyway's.

Being that you did get RRA parts I'm sure you will enjoy your rifle when you get your new upper.  They are usually a very good company.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Jeeeeezzzzzz napalm.... you are really reaching on that one.

Here, let me state it like you can understand:

SOME PEOPLE THINK SNAPPING A COMPLETE UPPER ON A COMPLETE LOWER IS BUIDING YOUR OWN RIFLE, OR "PUTTING IT TOGETHER"

Are we clear now?

Just clarifying. Seemed like there were 2 or 3 different stories around, and no one could pick which one was the true one.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just clarifying. Seemed like there were 2 or 3 different stories around, and no one could pick which one was the true one.

Its all good.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top