User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Very good little carbine setup, Pat, I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy my 723/6320 clones and my A1+ rifle!!!!

What exactly is an A1+?

Link Posted: 6/29/2006 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Are these the same type of rifles the Israelis have? Not the M4, I've seen other pictures with Israeli soldiers carrying similar rifles(A1 uppers, no GL step in barrel, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are these the same type of rifles the Israelis have? Not the M4, I've seen other pictures with Israeli soldiers carrying similar rifles(A1 uppers, no GL step in barrel, etc.).

Yes, the 653, 733, and 723 are most popular in Israel, and are put to good use there.  Also keep in mind that quite a few of thier carbines are "mixmasters", along the line of US Air Force stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Could extended feed ramps be correct in a 723?
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Could extended feed ramps be correct in a 723?

It is possible for a 723 to have ramps extending into the upper receiver.  Mine does not.  If you did find one, it would be an earlier version, not the modern M4 feed ramps.  Info on various Colt Carbine feed ramps here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=283545
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:

Very good little carbine setup, Pat, I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy my 723/6320 clones and my A1+ rifle!!!!
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

What exactly is an A1+?

LOL...I am glad you asked!!!!

An A1+ is part of my "Advanced Retro" program that I designed for me.

I personally find the "modern" AR - 15 A2 series a bit of overkill.  The front heavy barrels are nearly useless, the rear sight is much more complex than necessary and the reasr stock on the rifle version is wayyyy too long.  I also prefer the Triangular Hanguard to the round...however the round is superior at least as far as materials goes.

However there are SOME good things about the A2.  There really isn't a need for a beefier lower but the added weight is nil so it's an OK thing.  The brass deflector on the upper is a good idea....especially if you're a lefty.  The newer M4 stock is more condusive to a good cheek well but that is for another discussion and the birdcage flash supressor with the lower ports blocked is also a good idea.

What I have done is combined the "best of both worlds"  and built an AR that sticks to the LIGHT RIFLE concept but has just the right amount of improvements to make it more of a "universal" rifle.

Here's my A1+ rifle.

Mostly Colt with a Fulton ( DPMS...dammit ) C7 upper and a Hogue grip, Turner Saddlery Synthetic sling, AR15A2 lower and a pencil barrel ( 1/12 ) on the upper.  Note the Delta ring instead of a standard Slip ring.  This still has an A1 flash hider at the moment but I'll eventually change that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW

Link Posted: 7/5/2006 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:

<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

What exactly is an A1+?

LOL...I am glad you asked!!!!

An A1+ is part of my "Advanced Retro" program that I designed for me.

I personally find the "modern" AR - 15 A2 series a bit of overkill.  The front heavy barrels are nearly useless, the rear sight is much more complex than necessary and the reasr stock on the rifle version is wayyyy too long.  I also prefer the Triangular Hanguard to the round...however the round is superior at least as far as materials goes.

However there are SOME good things about the A2.  There really isn't a need for a beefier lower but the added weight is nil so it's an OK thing.  The brass deflector on the upper is a good idea....especially if you're a lefty.  The newer M4 stock is more condusive to a good cheek well but that is for another discussion and the birdcage flash supressor with the lower ports blocked is also a good idea.

What I have done is combined the "best of both worlds"  and built an AR that sticks to the LIGHT RIFLE concept but has just the right amount of improvements to make it more of a "universal" rifle.

Here's my A1+ rifle.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=46544

Mostly Colt with a Fulton ( DPMS...dammit ) C7 upper and a Hogue grip, Turner Saddlery Synthetic sling, AR15A2 lower and a pencil barrel ( 1/12 ) on the upper.  Note the Delta ring instead of a standard Slip ring.  This still has an A1 flash hider at the moment but I'll eventually change that.

Hey DM - Cool rifle - To keep the them going you need a Colt "CS" stock as well! The length of the original A1 stocks but the strength and storage of the A2 stocks.

Question for you, I read somewhere (maybe from you?) that the DPMS\Fulton Armory A1 uppers have a slightly narrower CH slot and because of that, you need to use a DPMS\Fulton Armory CH with that upper? Has that been your experience?
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad I found this thread!

I've been planning an A1/lightweight build for some time now and was just starting to look for parts.

The CMMG barrels sound excellent but has anyone used the Bushmaster A1 uppers and lightweight pencil barrels?
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Since we're posting pics;

Link Posted: 7/25/2006 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#12]
CMMG states they're hoping for MID AUGUST

m4 feedramps, f marked FSB

14.5, 14.7, 16 all in carbine and then middies (minus the 16" i believe)

they said they will probably start taking orders when shipped for chroming process

prices will be around the same as their other bbls

i'll be on that list for a 14.7"!.....errr...i hope!
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
CMMG Lightweight barrel updates

First F-marked, then standards--all 0.625.

A little bumed by the M4 ramps, but that's not a deal breaker. I had heard a rumor about the A1 uppers with M4 ramps in the future.

I'm aware that M4 barrel extensions are compatible with all uppers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Noveske/CMT lower receiver $135 + $10 shipping if IIRC.

I picked this up i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/noveskelowerreceiver.jpg

damn I wish I could find one fo those... Onlyoption is noveske themselveswho wanna sell for like 500 with a stock, grip, and parts kit
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A little bumed by the M4 ramps, but that's not a deal breaker. I had heard a rumor about the A1 uppers with M4 ramps in the future.

You can also find a Colt upper of this style with M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can also find a Colt upper of this style with M4 ramps.

Are you talking about an A1\C7 type upper with factory M4 ramps? If so, I've been looking for one for a while now and haven't had any luck so if you know of any sources?

I also didn't have any luck finding a factory Colt 14.5 A1 profile barrel with 1/7 twist either.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are you talking about an A1\C7 type upper with factory M4 ramps? If so, I've been looking for one for a while now and haven't had any luck so if you know of any sources?

I also didn't have any luck finding a factory Colt 14.5 A1 profile barrel with 1/7 twist either.

Info on A1 uppers with M4 feed ramps from CMMG.

If Colt made a run of 14.5" A1 barrels, they could name their price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Info on A1 uppers with M4 feed ramps from CMMG.

Thanks for the info. Only 2 problems with that... 1. I don't want to wait that long and 2. CMMG has all of their receiver coated with a Teflon finish. I would prefer the normal Mil-Spec anodizing only.

Quoted:
If Colt made a run of 14.5" A1 barrels, they could name their price.

Very true. I think if BM would make them with a 1/7 twist then they would sell a bunch too. I think the BM's would really sell because they don't use M4 feedramps and with as many people wanting to install these in A1 and A2 uppers which are much easier to find (and much cheaper to buy) without ramps, it would be a good combo. BM would also be able to sell them closer to $200 so price wise they would be pretty attractive too.

I think CMMG is going to do very well with their LW line if for no other reason then they will be the only game in town with that many options.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]
What would be the best modified A1 upper for this build? Would a Shrubmaster give me a nice mil-spec finish in keeping with my Noveske lower?
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What would be the best modified A1 upper for this build? Would a Shrubmaster give me a nice mil-spec finish in keeping with my Noveske lower?

Yes but no factory M4 ramp cuts (if you care?).
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Just wanted to post a photo of the inspiration for this build again. The barrel should be available shortly.

Here's my shopping list for the upper:

CMMG 14.7" Lightweight barrel, with peel washer and A2 FH permanently installed
BM Colt improved A1/C7 upper receiver stripped
BM Dust cover parts kit
BM Forward assist kit
BM A1 rear sight components

XS Sights same plane rear aperture, 0.080 stripe front sight
CMT/Stag MP tested bolt and bolt carrier
Standard charging handle
CAR handguards

Any comments on these choices?

What are your favorite receiver blocks and wrenches to use?
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's as close as I can get

Factory colt A2 sporter with near all the same specs
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/Model723.jpg

Just wanted to post a photo of the inspiration for this build again. The barrel should be available shortly.

Here's my shopping list for the upper:

CMMG 14.7" Lightweight barrel, with peel washer and A2 FH permanently installed
BM improved A1/C7 upper receiver stripped
BM Dust cover parts kit
BM Forward assist kit
BM A1 rear sight components
XS Sights same plane rear aperture, 0.080 stripe front sight
CMT/Stag MP tested bolt and bolt carrier
Standard charging handle
CAR handguards

Any comments on these choices?

What are your favorite receiver blocks and wrenches to use?

I would stick with the 16'' barrel, every thing else looks good .
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would stick with the 16'' barrel, every thing else looks good .

The 16" barrel is a deal breaker--this is Project 723, not Project Early 6520. That would be much easier, however.

I want to get as close to a 723S (semi) as possible without registering my Noveske lower. That leaves me with a 14.5" with an extended A2, or a 14.7" with a standard A2--both permanently attached. 0.2" is swallowed up over several inches on a barrel, but it is quite obvious when you add 0.2" to a 1.3" FH, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#25]
you guys have convinced me.  i'm going to switch to the 723 format.  this is my light weight build that has been great, but i have always felt it needed more.  i have an C7 upper and A2 grip lying around, and am going to order the Stag CAR stock and a set of CAR HGs.  the barrel is a colt 1/7"LW cut to 14.7 w/perm A2.  this the before, and i should have afters in a couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 8/5/2006 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
you guys have convinced me.  i'm going to switch to the 723 format.  this is my light weight build that has been great, but i have always felt it needed more.  i have an C7 upper and A2 grip lying around, and am going to order the Stag CAR stock and a set of CAR HGs.  the barrel is a colt 1/7"LW cut to 14.7 w/perm A2.  this the before, and i should have afters in a couple of weeks.

www.hunt101.com/img/327697.jpg

Looks good.  If you've got the money, why don't you use that upper for a GUU-5/P & start fresh for your 723?  Can never have enough lightweight CAR's.

GUU-5/P

Here's what my 723 currently looks like.  I'm working on the GUU.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
i would, but it is already earmarked for a Colt 605 clone.  the rest of the small parts are in the mail for the 605 from SARCO  as i type this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]
waiting is the hardest part!  i ordered the CAR stock from Stag, but they are backordered.  another week or so til they get them in, the shipping time.  waiting sucks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
waiting is the hardest part!  i ordered the CAR stock from Stag, but they are backordered.  another week or so til they get them in, the shipping time.  waiting sucks!

Ordered mine here: Rainier Arms

In-stock & quick shipping.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#30]
i got the barrel swapped to the C7 upper today and my 723 clone is almost done.  i'm just waiting for the backordered Stag CAR stock.  here's the 95% done pic.

Link Posted: 9/10/2006 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#31]
ADCO still does cut and perm jobs, right?

Why wait for CMMG? Pay ADCO to cut and perm a Bushmaster Superlight barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]
mine's a Colt 1/7 twist that Lauer did the cut/pin job on.   Lauer did a nice clean job, but were quite abit more $ than ADCO or AR15barrel.com, and took 2 months.  Bushies are only 1/9 twist - that could be why everyone is waiting for CMMG.  

i got my stock from STAG last week , and put it on this weekend.  i'll get some pics up soon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2006 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#33]
here's my finished 723 clone.  the Stag stock really completes it.

Link Posted: 11/13/2006 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice.

Can't wait for the 14.7" barrels....
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Who makes the C7/A1 upper for the 723 with the extended feedramps?  Are there any off the shelf versions?  I could live without, but CMMG's barrels are sure to have them, but their A1 uppers don't.  

Also, what's the weight difference between the M4 profile barrel and the "pencil" barrel?  And how much weight savings are we looking at exactly between a 723 and an M4?

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is mine.

Link Posted: 1/23/2007 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's an update on my progress--I just found a Colt/Alcoa A1 upper with factory M4 feed ramps, case deflector, and round assist. Must be mid to late 80s production. This will be the perfect compliment to a 14.7" CMMG barrel when they are available.

Link Posted: 1/23/2007 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here's an update on my progress--I just found a Colt/Alcoa A1 upper with factory M4 feed ramps, case deflector, and round assist. Must be mid to late 80s production. This will be the perfect compliment to a 14.7" CMMG barrel when they are available.

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/000_0140.jpg

That is modern, like post 1997.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Great thread!

A 723 clone is one of the projects I'm slowly collecting parts and information for.  One of these days I'll actually stay home long enough to take action and build one!
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/d8006/000_0140.jpg

That is modern, like post 1997.

That's probably a good thing then because then maybe the feedramps will actually match up?

I found a Colt C7 upper like that one with the M4 feedramps. I was told it came from a "commando" upper? Anyway, mine was the older Colt gray and the feedramps did not match up with a newer Colt M4 barrel. Ekie or some other Colt historian could probably give you more accurate details about this then I but apparently the original Colt M4 ramp profile does not match the newer profile that Colt and everybody else uses now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I found a Colt C7 upper like that one with the M4 feedramps. I was told it came from a "commando" upper? Anyway, mine was the older Colt gray and the feedramps did not match up with a newer Colt M4 barrel. Ekie or some other Colt historian could probably give you more accurate details about this then I but apparently the original Colt M4 ramp profile does not match the newer profile that Colt and everybody else uses now.

Yes, there was a different ramp used on some carbines and commandos in the 1987-1992 time frame.  Details in the tacked carbine thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I am so stoked to get an A1 upper with M4 feed ramps. There is a "4" over the gas tube hole. I know that it doesn't matter, but that will create a seamless fit with the CMMG barrel when available.

The receiver is en route to me, so I don't have a really good idea on the finish. Aside from sending it out to US Anodizing to have it balsted and anodized black, what spray on finish would give me the best match to my Noveske lower?
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The receiver is en route to me, so I don't have a really good idea on the finish. Aside from sending it out to US Anodizing to have it balsted and anodized black, what spray on finish would give me the best match to my Noveske lower?

That upper appears to be modern black.  Am not familiar with Noveske lowers, so have no idea what finish is used or what color they are.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#44]
The item description states that it may have been refinished in black. I'll try a little acetone in a hidden area to see what happens when it arrives.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That upper appears to be modern black.  Am not familiar with Noveske lowers, so have no idea what finish is used or what color they are.

Noveske lowers are/were made by CMT...that may give you some idea about what to expect for the color.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
    This is an early Colt M16A2 model 723. Almost all of the early model 723s I have seen had C H marked A1 uppers with no M4 feed ramps, a 2 position metal stock, & a 14.5" NATO 1/7 marked pencil barrel. The later model 723s were delivered with the 4 position FiberLite stock.
                                                                  HTH,
                                                                  Carey
Edit: The FOIA revealed this Colt M16A2 Carbine model 723 left the factory in June, 1985.
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/ColtM16A2_1.jpg

What finish did these stocks have? The rubber coating like the early ones, or a textured finish?

Also, did any of these weapons ever have A2 rear sights?
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    This is an early Colt M16A2 model 723. Almost all of the early model 723s I have seen had C H marked A1 uppers with no M4 feed ramps, a 2 position metal stock, & a 14.5" NATO 1/7 marked pencil barrel. The later model 723s were delivered with the 4 position FiberLite stock.
                                                                  HTH,
                                                                  Carey
Edit: The FOIA revealed this Colt M16A2 Carbine model 723 left the factory in June, 1985.
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/ColtM16A2_1.jpg

What finish did these stocks have? The rubber coating like the early ones, or a textured finish?

Also, did any of these weapons ever have A2 rear sights?

Early ones have the vynil stock like on a SP1 carbine.  They did not come with A2 sights.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks, Scott
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Thanks, Scott

If you wanted to do an easy 723, I would built it like most were done and use a 2 position tube with plastic car stock.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top