Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Where do you find forging marks?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Where do you find forging marks?

Just in front of the rear sight assy, on the carry handle of the receiver.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
What about for an A4 upper (Flat top with picatinny rail)?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Mongo: Thank you.

My RRA A4 Upper purchased from Adco has zero forging marks. Is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Status: No word from RRA yet. I'll give it another week, maybe two?
Maybe my Upper is in the Black Hole of returns?

I have contacted Rock River and the upper receiver has been replaced, the coating did not adhere correctly on the receiver, while I did not get into specifics they said a contaminant (read: oil/dirt) can cause this and they feel it is an isolated incident. I would imagine this will ship soon.

Robert
RB Precision

I gave RRA a call this morning, and they had no Status on my Upper, so the person I spoke with indicated they would look into the status. No word from them yet....
It's not that I'm in a rush, just wondering when I should expect it, because it will probably mean a roadtrip to the UPS center.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I am kinda worried about the quality now with all the demand for AR's
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
RRA in general is supposed to be good Quality.
In my initial conversation with RRA, they indicated that they were not aware of any finish issues being reported. I know of at least one other occurrence that was posted with pictures here in the forum.
Since I have not heard back from them, I guess they are very busy trying to take care of the order backlog, vs. work on Warranty issues.
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Before purchasing my Bushmaster XM about 2 weeks ago, the salesperson tried to talk me into a RRA.  Price was less because it didn't have the collapsible stock, flash hider, bayo lug, but when I looked at it, compared to the BM, the finish looked cheaper, almost like it was painted on.  It was a brand new rifle and was a RRA.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I was very satisfied with the RRA Varmint Upper "outer finish".
I was also more than satisfied with the accuracy of this model.
I've had a BM M4gery for a while now, and have observed no defects, just normal wear from shooting it a lot!
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My RRA A4 forged upper finish did NOT look like it was painted. It was matte black and wasn't as shiny as the Ameetec lower.

I know for a fact its not painted because I had accidentally slipped a few times with tools during assembly and they did not cause any scratch marks to appear. The finish appeared to be "baked" into the metal.

my Vepr, OTOH, does use a painted finish and I can clearly see the difference.
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
What forge markings should a RRA upper have?

I had asked RockRiver this myself awhile back and they told me there were no markings present on their uppers.  So, I bought an upper through a dealer only mentioned on the RRA website.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What forge markings should a RRA upper have?

Somebody tack this info already.  There are forging companies that provide raw forgings to all the manufacturers.  Cerro Forge, Cardinal Forge, Anchor Harvey - the list is quite long.

With few exceptions, any manufacturer can have just about any forging mark.  The manufacturers buy from whomever has the forgings either available or cheapest or both.  They finish them, assemble the rifles and ship them off.

As an example, I have seen Bushmasters with the Cerro Forge keyhole mark, the Anchor Harvey "A" mark and no mark at all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/216162.JPG

I recently received a "RRA" A4 upper with the same forge mark Mongo is showing here.  The next one sent by the same vendor had no forge marking?!  Hmmm.

Paladin

Link Posted: 11/4/2004 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
My RRA A4 upper came from Steve @ Adco and I know he's running a reputable shop. No markings whatsoever, but it appears to be a quality upper.
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Both Bushy and Rock River are finished in the same facility. Light Metals Coloring in Southington CT.

www.lightmetalscoloring.com

Link Posted: 11/4/2004 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 4 Rock River Uppers.  

1 from Adco purchased December of 2003 and 3 from Eagle Arms all purchased in September.  

All 4 have the mark like the one the Mongo posted.  

Interestingly, 2 of them have a 'normal' counter bored muzzle, and 2 have kind of a convex muzzle crown.    

I know that when I ordered 3 from Eagle that he said he had 1 in stock and he had to order 2 more.  My guess is that the convex bbl change is new

However I am off topic, sorry, the marks on all 4 are like Mongos, and thus far, not flaking of any sort.   Does anyone have a manufacture time frame for the flaky ones, or what mark was on them?
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a rock river that I have for 3yr and I just purchased a bushmaster upper for my son lower and they both have the same ( key hole with 3 dot inside the key hole ). I have not any problem with any peeling and the upper are not painted. But if it a defective part rra will fix it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe RRA has a lifetime warranty on their upper receivers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Update:
I received the Upper back from RRA Warranty repair, yesterday.
The No charge invoice states, Upper Half Repair, Replaced R4 Upper Receiver Assy.
Two repair tags attached, one with the peeling finish problem & RMA, the 2nd tag with RMA and "New A4 & Tube, Reshoot". Also, they certainly lubed it up..
The new receiver is unmarked.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top