Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Vacation? what the hell is that??

3500 miles of road travel, through 13 (different) states, for 7 overnight "visits" of family/friends, with the wife and two dogs, in 10 days.

Sounds like fun, huh?

ETA: Thanks for understanding, G.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for the small update in the first post- The beating begins today
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
bump- it survived what we gave it today!!! and it still held zero.

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump- it sirvived what we gave it today!!! and it still held zero.

C4

Wait till you see the pics Grant. We pretty much killed PX's lower, well at least the grip and the buffer tube. The lower is actually still in really good shape. When The RO from MPD came down to let us know they were getting ready to start up he saw the parts on the table and just said "holy shit you guys are animals".
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump- it sirvived what we gave it today!!! and it still held zero.

C4

Wait till you see the pics Grant. We pretty much killed PX's lower, well at least the grip and the buffer tube. The lower is actually still in really good shape. When The RO from MPD came down to let us know they were getting ready to start up he saw the parts on the table and just said "holy shit you guys are animals".

Cool! I am glad to see that the SPOT held up to your abuse.

Little bit of intel, the SPOT is about to become available in a 2MOA dot.

C4

Oh that sounds nice. I'm not a big fan of the 4MOA, at short ranges (25 and 50 yards they cover up completly the dots I shoot at for sighting in.

Another intersting thing, and i added it to the review post, The SPOT has a better defined dot then the Aimpoiont M68 that I just got today. The Aimpoint dot looks like a * where as the SPOT dot is a lot mnore of a circle with just a little bit of distortion(thats not the word i'm looking for) here and there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
AND someone gave ya an Aimpoint?  Geez, some guys have all the luck...

Question, PM.  Which is brighter on the highest setting, the SPOT or the Aimpoint?  I know the SPOT is brighter than the TP.

I noticed on Saturday that the TacPoint was getting washed out on the white targets in sunlight.  I'm pretty sure it's not a battery issue, and if the SPOT will be available at 2MOA....
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
AND someone gave ya an Aimpoint?  Geez, some guys have all the luck...

Question, PM.  Which is brighter on the highest setting, the SPOT or the Aimpoint?  I know the SPOT is brighter than the TP.

I noticed on Saturday that the TacPoint was getting washed out on the white targets in sunlight.  I'm pretty sure it's not a battery issue, and if the SPOT will be available at 2MOA....

After A brief side by side comparison

I'd haveve to say they are about the same, the SPOT looks a bit brighter, but I think that some of that has to do with the kill flash on the aimpoint not leeting ambiant light show through. I'll have them both out this weekend at deer sight if you'd like to take a look at them yourself.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
hey grant how much will the 2 moa cost and will it be available before Christmas?  I am going to ask for one!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
ya illl get a 2moa dot and not paint it maybe that way it will work not like the one i have now that has a habit of cutting out every now and then. only thing besides that that bugs me is how damn bright they are , need a lower setting for shooting at night.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to see how you broke the MIAD, (pictures please)

I'll bet Richard at MagPul would like to know more about that too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm just waiting on the pics to be sent to me, don't worry there are pics.

Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just waiting on the pics to be sent to me, don't worry there are pics.

I believe you, I'm not questioning that it happened, I'd just like to see it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#16]
tagged
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#17]
TAG cause I can't read it all right now
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hey grant how much will the 2 moa cost and will it be available before Christmas?  I am going to ask for one!!!!

No price increase and I should have some by next week.

C4

are the dot shape nice and round or are they somewhat fuzzy. Also I take a 2MOA dot, I need one for my feather AT9
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#19]
bump with new pics.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Man thats crazy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
OH MY!!! hock.gif Kind of like watching a car wreck, you dont want to look but you just can't help it.  Great work photman.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Grip was a pre-prod., stock was one of the ones Tic00 is selling.  Took at least 8 whips before the grip gave way, the buffer tube bent far enough after 4-5 that the bolt wouldn't cycle, then went kaput.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread is worthless without a head to head comparison with the Burris eXtreme tactical uber sight!
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#24]
When are the new SPOT sites coming out?  The ones witht the 2moa dot.  SOLD on site if they come out soon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This thread is worthless without a head to head comparison with the Burris eXtreme tactical uber sight!

Send the sight, a pistol grip, and a stock assy., and we'll do it!
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Send the sight, a pistol grip, and a stock assy., and we'll do it!

BUT.  You have to send two.  My units are always the "control".
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#27]

for those who wanted to see what the red dot and what not looked like threw one.
hahah and ya thats the navy topgun base in the background.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When are the new SPOT sites coming out?  The ones witht the 2moa dot.  SOLD on site if they come out soon.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to be placed on my back order list. [email protected]

C4

I did, please let me know when they arrive, Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Photoman - thanks for taking the time to do this test, taking photos and posting the results.  It is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#31]
anyone have a view through an aimpoint like the spot up there...curious as to the tinting of the glass...
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#32]
How the hell did I miss this?  Tag
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How the hell did I miss this?  Tag

That's exactly what I was thinking

TAG
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#34]
try this torture test cause this might have caused mine to fail, PAINT IT.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
try this torture test cause this might have caused mine to fail, PAINT IT.

Eventualy it will get a paint job, as soon as I've uglied it up a bit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the efforts. Good review.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Thanks for the efforts. Good review.

Thank you sir.

Plently more to come, if we could only get some damn snow on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#38]
great review!! i'll be staying tuned for the rest of your updates. i've been wanting a eotech but this has made me think about maybe a diff set up??????????????

thx
usmc5593
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Ive been thinking of getting one of these as a cheapo optic.  Did I mention you guys are sadistic?  Next test......bayonet combat with this optic.  Land a good buttstroke on it and see how it fares.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Whats the battery life????
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Whats the battery life????

I'll let ya know when this thing dies out. I never run a battery life test with the battery that comes with the optic. I prefer to use one I know is "fresh" out the package.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#43]
HOLY SHIT!

I don't think I could ever throw an M4 like that....  Nice to know their durable... kinda.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
HOLY SHIT!

I don't think I could ever throw an M4 like that....  Nice to know their durable... kinda.

Mister PX's repeated throws seem to be the culprit.  He's tossed my M4gery like that twice to see if we could get the TacPoint to break.  No issues with mine, it didn't break.  The PX/PM tests that are indicated in the photos were bound to break something.

The interesting part is that it wasn't the optic.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HOLY SHIT!

Mister PX's repeated throws seem to be the culprit.  He's tossed my M4gery like that twice to see if we could get the TacPoint to break.  No issues with mine, it didn't break.  The PX/PM tests that are indicated in the photos were bound to break something.

The interesting part is that it wasn't the optic.  

Yah it says something when you break everything but what you were trying to break

The SPOT by the way is comming along for deer hunting on the TTU and my EA lower. I got to find some 60gr SP ammo though, all I have is 55gr SP.  If someone was loading the 70gr barnes triple shock as a factory load I'd grab some of that, but we'll see what I can find. Were going up top this year so 200 yard shots are a real possibility, so I may just end up using the 308 or 06. But the scouting report is really good so It will come with just incase we bag out on opening day, then I'm going to try and go get me a hog and I'll use the AR for that.

ETA: The tube wasn't a mil-spec tube IIRC
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Sense im the only one that has a fucked up SPOT i will ask for some help here. Mine cuts out every now and then and by that i mean maybe 4 times in a month shooting everyday about. What the hell would cause this? Ive painted every optic i own and i mean cheap tasco red dots from walmart and my bushnell holosight, so could have painting it really have caused this shit? Only other thing that bugs me is at its lowest setting its still way to bright for my taste at night.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#47]
bigbore has set the standard. This thing must be thrown from an airplane. 500ft at 110mph.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#48]
At least we know that it's durable.  I feel sorry for any item that has been sent to him (and any attached to it) for a "test." By far the most sadistic equipment abuse ever seen.  I think I have found my inexpensive replacement for an aimpoint.  Thanks for the test!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Beckett, are those pics of the 4 MOA dot or the 2 MOA? Does anyone have a comparison pic (in any brand) to help me choose one? I have ZERO optic experience and this just might be the next part of my Mega build. Thanks for the tests guys!!!

I assume this is most likely the best <$200 red dot option there is...??? How will this CW with an "F marked" FSB? Don't have my BUIS picked out yet.

What about UltraDot? Is there anything between the SPOT and an Aimpoint / EOtech?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#50]

What about UltraDot? Is there anything between the SPOT and an Aimpoint / EOtech?
Ultradots are hugely popular with rimfire shooters, and are used on pistols as well as rifles. Their reputation as a good sight is well earned, IMHO. IIRC from another thread, Lumpy196 has a brother that has an Ultradot on a .308 (FAL, I think?), and it performs well. Lumpy196 would be the one to ask, though.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top