BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks you very much for the pics and info.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IAt the Colt booth, the new gas piston M4 was on display.  I had a long conversion with Ken Elmore on this new system and it seem to be a very viable alternative to what HK or LW is doing... Colt is looking to release this system by the late 2006.  I think after the rush to be the first on the block, the price will stabilize and it could be a very good product for anyone looking for a monolithic platform gas piston AR.

]

SMGLee, does Colt have any plans for a 6.8SPC release?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As always, thanks for the excellent pictures Mr. Lee.

Am I a freak for noticing the beautiful barrel dimpling that's peaking through the SR25 carbine's handguards?

Just for you.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice photos Chen. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Chen, thanks for sharing those pics with us. I especially enjoyed the Colt gas rifle!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lee,

Thanks, & I agree that ~1.5 yr is not an issue of concern on the FN ARM.  2-3 years might be "politically challenging", as it were.

Curious that the new SIG556 uses the tube to house its recoil spring.  Didn't the original 551 have a buffer rod+spring above the boreline & directly opposite the piston (Like the AK, from which it borrowed op-system design cues) that enabled the folding stock?

Thanks again for info. & pics.

From my old memory, it is the saem system as my 551 I sold long ago....  I am replacing it with the SG556SWAT... shorten the barrel, Vortex hider, Vltor stock and figure out a way to change that grip from hell.  maybe Tangodown can cut me a grip...got to wait...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Do i spy a chrome carrier in one of the colt piston carbines? (first pic, bottom gun)

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice Pics Lee
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was at the FN booth and took lots of pics of the SCAR.. but it is for personal use only, I was told not to post them...  The 64000 dollar question is about a year and half... that is pretty much in line with the time that took them to release the P90.  since you have to get your sub contractors in line and get approval from the gov't.. a year and half is not too long to wait.

That's weird... others have posted pics, wonder whats up with that.

Thanks for the pics and looking forward to the rest.

I have connection with industry people where I can get FN pissed off at me and not able to get more insight in the future as for some that don't worry about getting their hands on the SCAR to shoot... as for me.. got to obey the promise since a promise is a promise... hope you understand...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what was that THING with an 870 attached to it?

Just a host for the masterkey shotgun nothing more...

Quoted:
Do i spy a chrome carrier in one of the colt piston carbines? (first pic, bottom gun)

You are absolutely right, it is not a chrome carrier but more like the NP3 finish, it is very smooth and very nice... the process is called UCT.  seem very promising.

I will have my second part tomorrow and third to follow later.

I am glad all of you enjoy the pictures, it makes all the work that much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As always, thanks for the excellent pictures Mr. Lee.

Am I a freak for noticing the beautiful barrel dimpling that's peaking through the SR25 carbine's handguards?

Just for you.

photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/large/SS-016.jpg

Right click, save.

I was putting off digging all through the SASS thread to find this picture, thanks a bunch Chen.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what was that THING with an 870 attached to it?

Just a host for the masterkey shotgun nothing more...

Quoted:

You are absolutely right, it is not a chrome carrier but more like the NP3 finish, it is very smooth and very nice... the process is called UCT.  seem very promising.

I will have my second part tomorrow and third to follow later.

I am glad all of you enjoy the pictures, it makes all the work that much more enjoyable.

My hats off to you.  Great pics, the captions really make them tops.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
for the SIG enthusiasts........

what is the info behind the trigger set up? Particularly the 'stop' or set to the rear of the trigger.

It is evident on both SIG models pictured.

TIA
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice work Chen. Best '06 SHOT review I have seen yet. Thanks for taking the time to add your comments to the pictures. Nice to get feedback to match the eye candy.

Looking forward to more.

T
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Mr. Lee,

I want to thank you especially not simply for the pics, but also for the writeups.  Many of the sites (gunblast, custom-glock) are missing the INFORMATION behind the photos.

We very much appreciate your recon.  Please do not be short on details!

I also want to say that I am very disappointed with AR15.com's coverage of the event this year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Good pics and info thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

what is the info behind the trigger set up? Particularly the 'stop' or set to the rear of the trigger.

TIA

Prevents overtravel for faster reset, and more accurate shooting
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

TIA

Great eyes on that... that SIG trigger is smokingly crisp and light.. Both Wes Grant and I were very impressed with the pull and the feel.. it is definitely match grade quality plus one.

I might not be too thrilled about a super light combat gun trigger.. but i am shure I can live with it... lol

Since we are talking about the SIG... here is another point... the gun is heavy... quit heavy...

the bolt release can't be released by a slap, it has to be pushed upwards.

the mag release is where it should be, and the addition of the AR magazine means I don't have to buy new mags nor any additional gear to carry the bulky SIG mags.

the grip horrible... change it ASAP...

The stock are okay, but if you going to change to a SOPMOD or Vltor, you might have to change the buffer tube...

the new Vltor stock might be a nice looking addition to this gun...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ken condones this PISTON NONSENSE?

Ken still thinks the direct gas would be better... he did mention a direct gas upper would also be available.

Ken knows the pics will be here...

That's cool.  Some of the LOUDEST idiots here pissed Ken off before.  I was worried he thought ALL of the members here were a waste of Oxygen.

Why does he believe direct gas is better? Just curious.

+1 I would like to know why too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
What really makes the gas piston better then the direct gas??  

first of all I think gas piston is a fad in the AR industry right now.. it is just the cool thing to have...

now my answer.. it might vary from Mr, Elmore...

Gas piston's only and I mean only advantage is ease of cleaning and longer frequency between cleaning.  

My MRP currently has over 1500 rds out of it... dirtier then heck... 1200 rds of it was shot in the rain and mud at a training class.. the sand that got into the gun is now like a fine sand paper, a light coat all over my bolt carrier.. the gun still shoots and it is still reliable..just a few spray of the now necessary SLIP 2000.

for military, the Gas piston is a God send... now the rear support troops won't have to wrooy as much about keeping their rifles cleaned... and the hard fighting soldier don't have to spend as long cleaning the rifle after a hard day's work... for spec Ops operator the gas piston solve the age long problem of short barrel rifles and shooting suppressed..other then that... what do you think the gas piston has over the direct gas?
especially for us civilian..

that being said.. if I have a chance to pick up a gas piston gun.... I take it... :), until then I won't spend 2400 on a HK M416 conversion package...just to say I have a gas piston upper.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Chen:  You Da Man!

Your insight and field intel is outstanding.

You make this forum invaluable to us civies.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
OutSTANDING info!  Thanks for posting it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Great pics!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

new?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Do we get to see the LaRue booth tomorrow?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, is there a new Vltor stock?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Good Sheeeeeat...thanks.  Keep 'em coming...  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow! Great pics and write ups thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Chen,
Thanks for sharing your pics.  Though I have a question.  How are you going to get your hands on a SCAR or SIG?  Are you finally moving out of CA?!!

-Forest
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

new?

Yes, Chen what is this about?  

Thanks for all the pictures champ!

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#35]
 Great to see the SHOT show so strong in this anti-gun climate.  I almost went to go help my mother (she manufactures extremely waterproof bags which she sells to the military and outdoor outfitters), but I needed to be home for work.  Seems like I missed alot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#36]
You are always "where the action is". Thanks Chen, for this and everything you do here!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I like the new Colts.  What is the chance civilans can have one in a few years?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#39]
marking this for later
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#40]
TAG for more pics!

Any word on the Leitner Wise MRS?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#41]
You know guys...

It is not a new Vltor.... but the new Magpul....sorry..

I am so confused. lol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You know guys...

It is not a new Vltor.... but the new Magpul....sorry..

I am so confused. lol.

dang..lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the pics and write ups so far Chen!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for producing an informative thread on SHOT. I had complained to some friends over the weekend that you were absent from posting regarding the event as you have in the past. I easily understand why you didn't get it all  posted sooner.

It's nice to have someone put this much work into a thread.  It's really appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Chen,
Thanks for taking the time to bring a little bit of the SHOT SHOW to all of us who couldn't make it... Your pics are incredible, and your insight into whats going on in the industry are a tremendous asset here on the site! I hope you had a great time in LV!!!

Thanks again for everything!
Dave
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#46]
EOTech booth came fully equipped with the 553, this is some of the pictures.

The new unit as everyone already know uses the CR123 batteries, and the battery compartment is also dummy cord to the body.  even the next gen PEQ will use one CR123 instead of the two AA.

The throw lever is well integrated into the body, making it as snag free as possible.

Don't ask me, they are still working on it... they are not even sure which model will they use as a base.. 552 or the 553.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Do my eyes deceive me or is that a LaRue style throwlever design with ARMS style handles? Or is that little tab that pisses me off so much in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the photos.  I hope to be at the Orlando, Florida show.  

Maybe you can buy me dinner.    

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey SMGlee, am i crazy or is that KAC SR-25 battle rifle pictured the old model? I could've sworn they had one that took an Mk11 style reflex suppressor at Shot '05.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#50]
so they will be making the new magnifier compatable with the older 512,552 series!
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top