User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Guys,
Matt from Ironwood here,
I'm really sorry about not responding earlier. Truth is, I have been in the shop turning out the first run of AR sets. They do take a bit of time to produce, be we are getting there. I think another 2 weeks, and I will have a pretty good supply built up.

Regarding the bayonet grips. I can make them if they are 2 piece grips. Honestly, I don't know the difference between the M9 & M7. Someone enlighten me so we can can get going in the right direction for these parts.

John E, shoot me an e-mail at   [email protected]   so we can arrange getting one to me.

Thanks again for the interest guys, and hang in there, the sets will be available soon.

Matt
IWD
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Email sent
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Any idea how much a complete set for an AR is gonna run?
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump.  Any word on cost yet???
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I stopped by Ironwood Designs today on the way home from work to see how Matt is coming on his wooden AR furniture.  All the pieces look really nice.  He's going to be making triangular handguards in both a carbine length and full length, A1-like pistol grips, and A2 length buttstocks.  The initial sets I saw will be going to a "bigger" class III manufacturer and the first "public" sets may be ready for delivery at the end of the month.  Great workmanship, very nice wood.  Should be a winner.  I can't wait to obtain and finish a set for one of my rifles.  No definite price yet.  Matt's still working on the final numbers.  Lots of machine work to make these!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I stopped by Ironwood Designs today on the way home from work to see how Matt is coming on his wooden AR furniture.  All the pieces look really nice.  He's going to be making triangular handguards in both a carbine length and full length, A1-like pistol grips, and A2 length buttstocks.  The initial sets I saw will be going to a "bigger" class III manufacturer and the first "public" sets may be ready for delivery at the end of the month.  Great workmanship, very nice wood.  Should be a winner.  I can't wait to obtain and finish a set for one of my rifles.  No definite price yet.  Matt's still working on the final numbers.  Lots of machine work to make these!

OOOH OOOH! Carbine length! Oooo oooo!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
did anyone else ever make these?  my local gunshop has triangular handguards that look oldish, and seem to be made of walnut.....

just curious, if I had an AR I woudl buy them, or a set here
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump!!!!  Still anxiously waiting for final price and delivery of a set.  Will certainly make a unique looking yet elegant AR.  

I'm sure getting tired of seeing all those useless M4's with handguards that look like the tread pattern of the rear wheel of my dirt bike that was coated with glue then dragged through the sporting goods department of Walmart collecting a bunch of gadgets along the way.    "To each, his own", I guess.  A "Woody" will be a refreshing change.

LOL
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
definitly interested in both standard and carbine.

I'm assuiming the carbine will still be triangle?

Imagine an AR pistol with wood furniture. heheheh...
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
did anyone else ever make these?  my local gunshop has triangular handguards that look oldish, and seem to be made of walnut.....

just curious, if I had an AR I woudl buy them, or a set here

Ya, Springfield Armory made a few rifles with wood until Colt told them to fuck off. Striker lined me up with a set from Canada a while back. Rare as hens teethe so I havent been able to actually install them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Nam:

Yes, Matt's CAR handguard is the triangle shape.  I have examined both the std and CAR length.  The short one looks nice done in walnut.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump...

How about pricing and availability?
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Look guys. Patience is the key here.
Matt is working hard on this project and when its ready he'll post here with all the info.
This thing has been literally years in the making, a few more days or weeks is nothing.
Matt is a standup guy and he's working hard to make this happen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Soooo tagged!!!!  Turns out I just happen to be building an A1 right now.  Of course thanks a whole hell of a lot, Matt ,for doing the triangular shorty front guard.....NOW I HAVE TO DO ANOTHER!!!!  

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#20]
tagged for wood.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know why but, I am strangely drawn to that furniture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#23]

tag
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump to find....
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Wood on an AR??
If you can make & Origional looking set in brown bakelite I will be interested.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#26]
i think it sounds cool, if the price is right count me in too. once i get my 20incher built
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#27]
anybody know where we are at with this?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wood on an AR??
If you can make & Origional looking set in brown bakelite I will be interested.

You're better off getting someone to make them overseas, anything made out of bakelite in the U.S.
is ridiculously expensive.   Your furniture will weigh more than the rest of the gun.

I do like the wooden furniture.  It makes the AR look classy/distinguished.  Might have to get or
build a SP-1 now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Hang tight guys, almost there. Don't worry, there are no issues regarding structural integrity or fitting. All programming and fixturing have been completed. I did just finish an OEM run for Lakeside Guns in WI. We built 50 sets of AR furniture, with CAR triangular hand guards. The job took longer than anticipated, and I am now getting caught up with my past orders and projects. I will start the AR run by the end of this week or just after the week end.

I know you will like these, and I will do my best to keep the supply constant. I assure you that this project is not a hoax.
I will update shortly.

Thanks,
Matt
Ironwood Designs.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hang tight guys, almost there. Don't worry, there are no issues regarding structural integrity or fitting. All programming and fixturing have been completed. I did just finish an OEM run for Lakeside Guns in WI. We built 50 sets of AR furniture, with CAR triangular hand guards. The job took longer than anticipated, and I am now getting caught up with my past orders and projects. I will start the AR run by the end of this week or just after the week end.

I know you will like these, and I will do my best to keep the supply constant. I assure you that this project is not a hoax.
I will update shortly.

Thanks,
Matt
Ironwood Designs.

[email protected]

Sweet!

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Woo Hoo! Hey Matt, ya'll can send my laminated AK furniture along with my AR wood!

The Pooby household be gettin new fointiture!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Teaser
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Pretty cool stuff, but don't hold your breath!  I've seen and held the prototypes but not sure if Matt will ever deliver production parts.  Think I might just go buy a new scope instead.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Pretty cool stuff, but don't hold your breath!  I've seen and held the prototypes but not sure if Matt will ever deliver production parts.  Think I might just go buy a new scope instead.  Good luck!

Pretty elusive statement, care to share any particular details

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I. D. is a one man show.  Nice work and quality wood but delivery of the AR wood is just too uncertain.  One week slips to the next, then the next, then the next, and so on.  I have been waiting for nearly 4 months now and no wood yet.  Matt may come through one of these days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I. D. is a one man show.  Nice work and quality wood but delivery of the AR wood is just too uncertain.  One week slips to the next, then the next, then the next, and so on.  I have been waiting for nearly 4 months now and no wood yet.  Matt may come through one of these days.

Nobody has in money in this so no big deal. I have more time in this waiting than anyone and I'm still here.
Anyone who goes to the trouble of prototyping the stuff and doing an OEM run for a manufacturer seems to be working on the project to me.
I'm still in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#39]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Matt made me a custom M14 stock back in 98, then invited me over to his house for him to do a requested alteration to the stock while I was in the San Jose area.

Matt is a stand up guy and strives to bring us unusall and desireable products that no other manufacturer will produce.

His work is excellent and well worth any wait.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, here you go all you nay sayers!

Matt, true to his word like I knew he would be, has begun production of the AR wood furniture! I'm first on the list and this is not a group buy so I suggest you get a hold of Matt at Ironwood Designs if you want some.

Matt, I'd like to personally thank you for making this project a reality, especially when others failed and many said it wouldnt happen. You are the man!

Pooby,
Thanks for hanging in there with these sets, as well as your AK set,
which is ready to go.

I finally started the first run of parts. Butt stocks are partially
completed, and I just started
the hand guards today. I have a few programming and fixture upgrades
than need to be
done as I do the run, so it will take a couple of extra days to
complete, max..

I am using some really nice Black Walnut on this first run, as well as
a small quantity of Maple.
They should turn out really slick.

Price will be $225- for the full set, unfinished, rough sanded.
Shipping will be around $8- for
UPS ground. The butt stock will take the current butt plate, I think
it's the A2, the one in the
picture I had sent you. The stock will not have the trap door cleaning
kit hole, structural reasons.

I should have a set for you by late next week. I am running these in
low numbers, as to not tie up the machines
for too long. I will probably have 10-12 sets available on this first
run, and about the same per month,
or depending on demand.

Thanks,
Matt
IWD

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
any word on  what kind heat resistance the forward hand guards have??

On the M1A/M14 over the top of the barrel is a peice of ?fiberglass? this replaced the initial wood because the wood got too hot and would 'bend' or warp.  The M14 was fully auto though, but my AR heats up a LOT due to my long range times.

opinions??
insights??

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#44]
wow thats a lot of money (for a college student like me right now, anyway).  If he is still producing after I graduate this December, I want one too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Captain Barred,
I don't think there will be any heat problems with the hand guards. I have been building FAL hand guards for years, without the metal in the fore-end, and have never heard any feedback regarding heat problems. My wood guards have the same amount of vent holes as the original A1 set. The guards do not make any barrel contact, and they do have the slot for the gas tube to pass through. I know the AR heats up pretty good, but I think the wood will stand up just fine.

I am almost done with the first run. Hand guards will be completed today, pistol grips on Monday. After some trimming and clean up sanding, the sets should be available for shipping by Wednesday next week.

Thaks,
Matt
IWD
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Have you considered offering a set in the member's drawing coming up?  That would be a HUGE way to get the greater part of the ARFCOM commuity to see your work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Beetle,
Good idea. As soon as I get a batch completed, and take care of the guys who have been patiently waiting, I will cut a set loose, and donate it. Can you contact an administrator and let them know I am willing ot do this. I don't have a lot of spare time lately, buit I am willing to contribute.

Thanks,
Matt
Ironwood Designs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Beetle,
Good idea. As soon as I get a batch completed, and take care of the guys who have been patiently waiting, I will cut a set loose, and donate it. Can you contact an administrator and let them know I am willing ot do this. I don't have a lot of spare time lately, buit I am willing to contribute.

Thanks,
Matt
Ironwood Designs.

Matt we appreciate your work on this, carry on!

Aimless does this mean that the administration is now aware?  

(and much thanks, Matt)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Aimless,
No problem, I'm happy to offer this new item. Something new for the masses.
Please e-mail me regarding Beetle's reference to the raffle.

I'll be happy to contribute a set.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Matt
IWD
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top