Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Well well well.  This certainly adds an iron to fire here.  I am on the verge of their 1:7 govt m4ramped barrel as we speak.  However, I for sure am looking at a FF setup, and possibly a new gas block (railed for flip ups).  

I mean it looks like ultimately, I have some options to get someone to take it off, but that still doesn't sound like a picnic to me, shipping my brand new barrel around and paying extra $$.

hmmm  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My friend ordered a complete midlength upper from SD.

It looks like SD is using CMT upper receivers. They have the typical CMT ding in the left side and are painted instead of hard annodized. the paint started flaking off the case deflector after five rounds.

Sabre Defence Has Never painted or powder coated uppers or lowers if the finish is coming off it should be sent back to SDI for replacement.

There was a change in annodizers some time back one might have sliped thru QA, as for a ding if it is under the hard coat it is most likley a forging mark as we do no machining to the outside surfaces just tumble and bead blast before the hard coating. (except the picatenny rail)

I have 20 or so of them on my desk and no unusal marking on the left side.

oem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with Mack at MGI.  My barrel is shipping back to me today.

The verdict?  I did nothing wrong.  hat
So, in my case the pins were not removable using standard means.

Mack wasn't able to confirm for me whether my pins were straight or taper as he didn't do the work, but I am very confident that they were straight.  The one thing that I will say (in a premptive defense if they turn out to be taperedhat
MGI was able to get the deformed pins out of there.  The barrel and front sight assembly are not damaged.  They are including new pins that Mack assured me I should be able to install and remove with the standard hammer and punch.

Whew!  [wipes brow]

Now that there has been a successful conclusion to this, I almost wish that I had taken close up pics of pins before I sent it off to MGI.  It was brutal, man!  he
I'll keep everyone posted....

Corey

Corey,
Sorry to see you had trouble with your barrel the pins are tapered and are put in from the right hand side as you look thru the sights and should be removed from the left,
I have no picture to show of Chase the young man who installs the sight bases but he is 6'3" and weighs in at about 450 lb's I will ask him to lighten up a bit.

However I have had a sight base come lose in the past while shooting a match and it is not much fun, so we try keep them as tight as we can and still be able to remove them later for repair and such.

If any one has a problem with this or any other Sabre product please feel free to give me a call and we will make it right ASAP!

Grant Morgan
Commercial Products Manager
Sabre Defence Industries LLC,
450 Allied Drive
Nashville Tn. 37211
Phone (615) 333-0077 Fax (615) 333-6229
(www.sabredefence.com)
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with Mack at MGI.  My barrel is shipping back to me today.

The verdict?  I did nothing wrong.  

Mack said that Sabre must have used a hydralic press to install the pins.  If they get some that are slightly oversized, he suspects that they just use the proverbial "bigger hammer."

So, in my case the pins were not removable using standard means.

Mack wasn't able to confirm for me whether my pins were straight or taper as he didn't do the work, but I am very confident that they were straight.  The one thing that I will say (in a premptive defense if they turn out to be tapered) is that they were virtually flush with the front sight assembly, which made it very difficult to measure them.  They looked very different from standard taper pins.

MGI was able to get the deformed pins out of there.  The barrel and front sight assembly are not damaged.  They are including new pins that Mack assured me I should be able to install and remove with the standard hammer and punch.

Whew!  [wipes brow]

Now that there has been a successful conclusion to this, I almost wish that I had taken close up pics of pins before I sent it off to MGI.  It was brutal, man!  

I'll try to post the other pics that I have tonight.   Hopefully this project will finally be completed early next week.

I'll keep everyone posted....

Corey

Corey,
Sorry to see you had trouble with your barrel the pins are tapered and are put in from the right hand side as you look thru the sights and should be removed from the left,
I have no picture to show of Chase the young man who installs the sight bases but he is 6'3" and weighs in at about 450 lb's I will ask him to lighten up a bit.

However I have had a sight base come lose in the past while shooting a match and it is not much fun, so we try keep them as tight as we can and still be able to remove them later for repair and such.

If any one has a problem with this or any other Sabre product please feel free to give me a call and we will make it right ASAP!

Grant Morgan
450 Allied Drive
Nashville Tn. 37211
(www.sabredefence.com)

Thanks Grant!

I guess I need to update this thread -- it was my fault!  

To be honest, I tried to measure the pins before driving them out, but they were virtually flush with the front sight assembly and I couldn't get any good readings off of them.  I started to try and punch them out the correct direction to hedge my bets, but when that didn't work (and the heads mushroomed) I thought I'd presume they were straight pins and give the other direction a try.

Hopefully I'll be getting the barrel back from MGI today.  I can't wait to assemble this thing!  As much as I love my Recce-ish carbine, I think this is going to be my favorite.

Props to twl and MGI for their outstanding customer service.  Also thanks to oem (Sabre) for taking the time to post on this thread (and for taking it easy on me for screwing up the disassembly).

Corey (who is dropping not only the dremel tool but also the punches and sledgehammer and slowly stepping away from the AR15 on the workbench...)
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Props to twl and MGI for their outstanding customer service.  Also thanks to oem (Sabre) for taking the time to post on this thread (and for taking it easy on me for screwing up the disassembly).

It's always nice to see product reps comment on their product, rather than letting the ARFCOM rumor mill run rampant on what could be a quality product.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll try to get some pics up tonight of the Sabre upper.

I wasn't able to shoot any groups with it because the ARMS M68 wouldn't clamp tight to the upper.

That same ARMS M68 grabs tight to my Bushmaster upper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll try to get some pics up tonight of the Sabre upper.

I wasn't able to shoot any groups with it because the ARMS M68 wouldn't clamp tight to the upper.

That same ARMS M68 grabs tight to my Bushmaster upper.

?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are the pics of my friend's Sabre midlength upper showing the dent in the left side of the receiver, the peeling anodizing and the barrel markings. This upper has about 20 rounds through it. I gave up because the ARMS M68 wouldn't clamp tight so it wouldn't group. It did run fine.

The only reason I suspected it was a CMT upper is that the three CMT T-marked uppers that came from GTS have the same problems.

I just think for the prices they charge they should use a higher quality receiver.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298660.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298661.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298663.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298665.jpg

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just a member now?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

These receivers don't look like the CMT's I sell and don't have any of the standard marking that you generally find on them.

C4

What marks do you generally find?
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's always nice to see product reps comment on their product, rather than letting the ARFCOM rumor mill run rampant on what could be a quality product.

I hope no one took my posts as starting rumors.  I tried to keep it very clear that I could have been at fault for not getting the pins out (and, low and behold, I was!).

I have always tried in my posts and product opinions to be fair, accurate, and truthful.

Corey

PS  These darn pins had my going NUTZ, though!    Instead of being perfectly flat on the ends, they appeared to have been almost turned down to a rounded off point (maybe to fit inside of a cupped punch?).  I tried to measure them six ways from Sunday but couldn't get a conclusive measurement.  After trying to get them out the "normal" way, I figured (after a member comment here that they looked like straight pins) to give them a try the other way.  It doesn't sound like ANYONE else had this problem, though.  So maybe this was just a really bad intersection of pins and apprentice DiY'er syndrome.  At any rate, both Sabre and MGI stood ready, willing and able to bail me out of my screw up.  (MGI didn't even let me pay them when I offered!)  Argh!  Let this thread die please ... it's getting freaking embarassing!  

EDITED for typo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
It is hard to tell much from your pictures.

On the brass deflector, inspect it closely.  Are you sure it is not just a brass mark?

Also, inside the upper it is normal for an upper to wear in that area, but there should be no "chipping" of the anodizing.  Can we take this to another thread please?

Corey, don't be embarrassed, we've ALL been there!  The only difference is some are afraid to own up/admit to it, and that's the only thing to be embarrassed  about.  Also, I'm not so sure you weren't doing things right anyway..
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here are the pics of my friend's Sabre midlength upper showing the dent in the left side of the receiver, the peeling anodizing and the barrel markings. This upper has about 20 rounds through it. I gave up because the ARMS M68 wouldn't clamp tight so it wouldn't group. It did run fine.

The only reason I suspected it was a CMT upper is that the three CMT T-marked uppers that came from GTS have the same problems.

I just think for the prices they charge they should use a higher quality receiver.

www.hunt101.com/img/298660.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/298661.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/298663.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/298665.jpg

That aint no CMT upper. There should be a big 'ol "C" on the inside ceiling of the upper, right at the end of the gastube like such:

I have two CMT upper receivers from Denny, and one from Grant. All are identical. All have the pictured "C". None are purple like that mess you posted. None have the "typical CMT ding" that you speak of

I smell a
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow, lots of good stuff in this thread!

Thanks for the direct feedback Sabre!

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmm.... Sounds like this could be trouble for the guys wanting to free float Sabre barrels. I see a lot of interest in the 1-7 middie that they are coming out with, looks like Mongo's gonna be busy milling FSB's

I would not take this (nor am I intending it) as an indictment of Sabre barrels.  From what I know and see in mine, they are the best thing going for midlengths (and maybe even carbine and rifle barrels).

One thing has become apparent for me while messing with front sight assemblies over the past 6-9 months.  Every front sight assembly and barrel are unique.  Add the pins into the mix, and you can see differences depending on the size of the pins.

I have not heard of this being any issue with any other Sabre barrels.  I am at this point taking my experience as the exception rather than the rule.

Corey

Agreed. Yet if they are not using taper pins and are using interference fit straight pins that are pressed in, it's something to be concerned about if you plan on going freefloat or plan on a gas block or flip up FSB. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm in no hurry since I'm broke finishing my house, so I can wait and see what happens. I'm also curious to see what Paul @ Bravo Company comes out with when Bravo Manufacturing starts up.

Paul is going to come out with 16" mid-length gas system, 4150, 1/7 twist, 5.56 NATO and M4 barrel ext. for a VERY reasonable price! I would wait for these (about 6 weeks) and look for a group buy on them!

C4

Sweet.

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Here are a couple of pics of one of the "CMT" uppers I received from GTS. They have no "C" mark inside. The discoloring at the ding is exactly how I received it. The white spec below is just lint or something. You can also see the similar peeling on the case deflector.

This is where my three receivers were ordered from.

globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=153

Hmmm?

NickDrak,

I don't know why you would think I'm a troll. I have nothing to gain here. Just trying to point out my observations. Could that "C" mark be for Colt? Maybe a CMT upper made for Colt?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298793.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298795.jpg

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Is this "C" stamping inside the receiver a 100% thing on CMT upper receivers????  It's the first I've ever heard of seen about it.

Or is this going to be one of those consistently inconsistent AR-15 markings, just like everything else out there.

On a side note, I'd bet the receiver pictured above isn't a CMT, but I don't understand why GTS would sell them to you as CMT.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW my RRA is missing a small amount of anodizing from the same area of the case deflector... but then again, I do shoot my carbine a bit...
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
2 more CMT receivers purchased from Denny with "chipping" problems. Both have around 300rds. through them.

Also notice the appearance of machine marks inside this one. I can feel the section where the anno has worn off with my fingernail.

Another receiver:
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#30]
sovereign,

At least we have good taste in mounts. hink
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this "C" stamping inside the receiver a 100% thing on CMT upper receivers????  It's the first I've ever heard of seen about it.

Or is this going to be one of those consistently inconsistent AR-15 markings, just like everything else out there.

For CMT
the "A" on the right side of the receiver will only be there sometimes (depends where the raw forging was purchased from)
the "A" will or won't be on both standard flat tops and M4 flat tops

Some of the CMT M4 flat tops will have a small "M-4" stamped in the front of the receiver over the hole for the gas tube, but many will not.
If it does have the "M-4" stamped above the gas tube hole, most/all (can't recall exactly) will have a letter "C" stamped on the inside where the charging handle rides.
So in that sence, as you stated above - it is consistantly inconsistant

hope this helps . . .

So, let's get this straight. I have 4 "CMT" uppers. 3 are M4 and 1 is standard.  NONE of them have any markings that are being described here. 2 of them have anno problems. 1 is currently not being used in a build and the other has less than 200rds. through it so I don't know if it will develop any problems. So, what is the deal?

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Pics of the currently unused upper. The anodization looks the thickest on this one, if it even is anodized and not painted. Does anyone have some good pics of their CMT uppers?

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#33]

NickDrak,

I don't know why you would think I'm a troll. I have nothing to gain here. Just trying to point out my observations. Could that "C" mark be for Colt? Maybe a CMT upper made for Colt?

I doubt you have contacted Denny in regards to your CMT upper issues. I you had contacted him, they would have been resolved by now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#34]
New thread to end the hijack:
CMT uppers
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I doubt you have contacted Denny in regards to your CMT upper issues. I you had contacted him, they would have been resolved by now.

My beef isn't with GTS. I fugured I bought cheap receivers and got what I paid for.

My beef is with Sabre. They charge big bucks but use cheap receivers with crappy looking barrel markings. That's not how you win customers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Here are a couple of pics of one of the "CMT" uppers I received from GTS. They have no "C" mark inside. The discoloring at the ding is exactly how I received it. The white spec below is just lint or something. You can also see the similar peeling on the case deflector.
www.hunt101.com/img/298793.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/298795.jpg

I have that same "peeling" on the brass-deflector of every upper that I have ever owned (1-Armalite, 3-LMT, 1-BM, 3-CMT) and have seen it on every other upper that I have seen that has been shot. Its normal!

Here is my LMT/MRP upper with the same "peeling".  Definately not "cheap"

I dont see how anyone can call CMT uppers "cheap" when they manufacture them for others like Colt. Is it because they dont charge the extra $50-$100 premium for the Colt markings?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My beef isn't with GTS. I fugured I bought cheap receivers and got what I paid for.

My beef is with Sabre. They charge big bucks but use cheap receivers with crappy looking barrel markings. That's not how you win customers.

You  have not contacted Sabre About it as well,  as I posted in the 1st thread we will replace any product that has a problem or that the customer is not happy with.

If you don't let us know you have a problem then we can not fix it!

Grant Morgan
450 Allied Drive
Nashville Tn. 37211
(www.sabredefence.com)

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#38]
oem,

I'll pass this info on to my friend and let him decide what he wants to do about it.

It's obvious that you don't test fire your complete uppers or you would have noticed the chipping problem before you shipped it out. All of my bushmaster uppers have arrived directly from them with brass marks on the case deflector.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
oem,

I'll pass this info on to my friend and let him decide what he wants to do about it.

It's obvious that you don't test fire your complete uppers or you would have noticed the chipping problem before you shipped it out. All of my bushmaster uppers have arrived directly from them with brass marks on the case deflector.

0123456789:

Keep this crap out of this thread.  It's becoming increasingly clear to everyone here that this is turning into an effort to discredit the vendors involved (here, directly Sabre).

That is last comment of your was unfair, unwarranted, and made completely without any factual basis.

All of the vendors discussed in this and the CMT thread are good people who would square you away in a heartbeat if given the chance.  If you have been following the thread, you'll see that I had problems with the pins on a Sabre barrel.  Could've been tight pins.  Could've been my fault.  At any rate my less than graceful attempts at removing them were certainly a huge contributing factor (i.e., my fault).

Grant (oem) offered to help me out and get me where I needed to go.  Fortunately for me, I had immediately contacted the vendor that sold me the barrel (Tom/twl at MGI) who helped me out free of charge (despite my offers to pay for their services).  That's outstanding customer service from both of those gentlemen and speaks highly of their companies.

I don't care who you are or what you're buying.  Nothing is ever going to be 100% -- occassionally you'll get something with a problem.  I personally worry less about stuff like this happening and look more toward what the vendor does to help me get back on track with things.  I generally would expect no charges if it's a factory defect, and the flip side of that coin is I expect to pay for my mistakes if I screwed things up (like the taper pins).

The point was made in this thread and I believe the other -- these complaints wouldn't exist if the company had been contacted in the first place.

Corey
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
oem,

0123456789:

Keep this crap out of this thread......
Corey

+1
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Well said Corey.  Can this subject die now?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hey guys,
I just stumbled onto this thread, so excuse me for coming in so late.
Corey, I must say I am very happy that you got your problem fixed. When in doubt, always use a bench block and only punch the pins from the left!

I tried from the left (correct) side, but someone here said it looked like it could be straight pins.  When it didn't move and the pin mushroomed from the left, I gave the right a try in case they were straight.  I couldn't get an accurate measurement on them as they didn't really stick out from the side of the front sight assembly.

Oh well....

I am also happy to hear that you are pleased with the quality of your Sabre barrel. I was also very impressed with their products which is why we selected them to bring our mid-length 1/7 twist barrels with M4 feed ramps to market.  Their quality and commitment to customer service are outstanding.

You know, I'm trying not to beat myself up too badly for not waiting for the 1/7....

These barrels will be availble in July, so let me know when you are ready for another build. Maybe I can talk you into mounting a Samson MRFS on it as well.

Oooooowww.  Now that was a low blow!  

Lemme fix it for you.

These barrels will be availble in July, so let me know when you are ready for another build. Maybe I can talk you into mounting a LaRue 9.0 on it as well.

Now that's probably something that we can both agree on!

Corey

PS  Good job bringing those 1/7 Sabre's to the market.  It is IMHO the barrel to have for a chrome lined carbine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Any updates on how your new upper shoots yet?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Any updates on how your new upper shoots yet?

Me?

I'll probably be getting the barrel back in the next couple of days.  The build will probably take place that first night.  I should be able to get pics up then ASAP.  (Incidentally, I found a few more of the gas tube, markings, etc. on my camera that I still need to post.)

I probably won't be able to actually shoot the thing mid-July.  

Corey
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Corey

So what was the rush?  You should have waited for the 1-7's...
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Corey

So what was the rush?  You should have waited for the 1-7's...

Nothing like rubbing salt in the wounds, eh Jimbo?

Corey

EDITED to add that by the time I actually get around to shooting this thing, there will be new midweight ammo on the market and 1/9 will again be all the rage....
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Nothing like rubbing salt in the wounds, eh Jimbo?

Corey

EDITED to add that by the time I actually get around to shooting this thing, there will be new midweight ammo on the market and 1/9 will again be all the rage....

LOL!  Just giving you a hard time...
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I had the same problem...

The first taper pin came out in 3 or 4 good whacks.  The second is still in there!

Emailed Grant at Sabre and he offered to fix it and send it back.  Great service!  He said they were shocked how many people wanted to remove their front sights...  I guess you can't fault them for that.

I will be looking at Sabre for future projects for sure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

He said they were shocked how many people wanted to remove their front sights...  

This is the first lightweight, high quality midlength barrel available in 1/7. He shouldn't be surprised that many see this as the best barrel to build into a railed upper for one's "go to" rifle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top