BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been eye-balling A1 stocks for awhile now and just recieved my Tapco stock today. I decided to spend the $8 and see if I really liked it prior to paying for a "name brand".

The only thing I found "wrong" was the buttplate fit. There was an excess of stock material that stuck above to top of the buttplate by about a 1/16". I swapped it out with my A2 plate, and the excess is now on either side towards the bottom. I suppose I could sand the stock down a little (I like the A1 plate better), but I bought it to "test drive" it.

I paid $8....I'm not complaining. If I want a better fit, I'll get a CAV.

Having bought a bunch of the Tapco Cavarms stocks and seen several Cavarms stocks from other vendors-save your money. You are as likely to get a bad stock buying the $ 40 ones. You could buy 3 or 4 from Tapco and toss a couple with the bad molding marks etc and still be ahead of the game. Mine all came with the factory screws etc, I have seen $ 40 ones that did not.

The Tapco stocks I bought have "CA" molded into the buttplate, so I am not sure how their name is not on it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Having bought a bunch of the Tapco Cavarms stocks and seen several Cavarms stocks from other vendors-save your money. You are as likely to get a bad stock buying the $ 40 ones. You could buy 3 or 4 from Tapco and toss a couple with the bad molding marks etc and still be ahead of the game. Mine all came with the factory screws etc, I have seen $ 40 ones that did not.

Well, I have bought five CavArms C-1 stocks over the years, and NONE of them were "bad".
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm not complaining. If I want a better fit, I'll get a CAV.

Wrong.  The CAV is the identical thing.  The CAV will have this same "feature".
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Where can I get a short A1 screw to fit the A1 stock from Tapco?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Garryowen, aren't YOU the man?

So you're sticking it to youself?

(funny commercial!)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I have bought five CavArms C-1 stocks over the years, and NONE of them were "bad".

I have seen some with pronounced marks, mostly along the top near the area where the buffer tube goes. They are only cosmetic blemishes, but would not be suitable on a nib rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Can anyone tell me if I buy the Tapco stock if I also need to find a short A1 buttstock screw or if it comes with one?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I will continue to post replies to this thread to make sure it stay "tacked" to the top of the thread list for months or until this thread gets locked.

I will do my damnest to make sure the viewers don't get taken "advantage of" and ripe off like me.

This along with your earlier admission of:

Yes, I have an axe to grind.

Sounds a lot like ing to me.

Let me get this straight. Tapco has a smoking deal on stocks and is probably selling at just above their cost. Most of us would say "great deal" and buy up a bunch of them.

On the other hand, You start running your pie hole at Cav because of some perceived injustice they have committed against you. You keep coming back to being "taken advantage of" and being "ripped off".  I think it really comes down to the fact that you don't understand how OEM manufacturing and pricing work in this industry. Instead, you take the low road and slander a good company.

Garryowen broke it down for you in very simple terms a couple of posts above. If you still can't understand why the Tapco stock is cheaper than the Cav C1, there is no hope for you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if I buy the Tapco stock if I also need to find a short A1 buttstock screw or if it comes with one?

No idea, but it's a standard 1/2-28 x 5/8" (flat head) and can be found at just about any hardware store

Nuggets of wisdom like this are why I keep coming here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea, but it's a standard 1/2-28 x 5/8" (flat head) and can be found at just about any hardware store

uh, that's an incorrect nugget, isn't it?

The screw head is tapered, not flat. and it has a transverse weep hole bored through its length.

Not a standard item to be found at any hardware store I fear. Bushmaster charges $3.50 for one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#13]
... Cavalry Arms
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The screw head is tapered, not flat. and it has a transverse weep hole bored through its length.

Not a standard item to be found at any hardware store I fear. Bushmaster charges $3.50 for one.

It's worth a try.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just checked, and I think Gary made a typo as it is a 1/4-28 x 5/8 (flat head) also often called a countersunk or tapered head screw.

However I must say I always buy my CavArms products from authorized dealers as I respect Cavarms (love the MKII lowers), and don't want to screw them.  I would rather spend a few bucks more and support a dealer that has earned my respect

Edited to add my local hardware store has this bolt, even the local Lowes has it  Bolt depot is also a good vendor (and Gary's link has the correct size), I have dealt with them in the past for other projects.  

Hopefully this makes sense as Gary and I are posting/editing at the same time.  
Gary, thanks for all of the fine products (I have a few of your lowers, and lots of your furniture) and have been very happy with everything.  My two favorite 223s were built on MKII lowers
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The ones I bought had the screw.

edit- They had the same screw, buttplate, sling attachment etc as the cavarms stocks from other sources.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... Cavalry Arms Tapco

Fixed it for ya

And to bmick325 - Thanks for the Bump Back To The Top while I was away.  I appreciate the bump guy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Mr. Garryowen,

Thank you for your candor.  Even though I have a burr in my butt, I do respect Cavarms for all that they have contributed to our AR15 community.  Thanks again Mr. Garryowen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well thanks for setting me straight. You know, I actually do this stuff for a living and I do buy thousands of these screws every year.

We get ours from Copper State Nut & Bolt, but the this link will work as well. www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=73&cm=6&cd=1301 While it does not have the 5/64th's hole through the bore, I'm pretty sure it will hold the stock onto the gun and cost you about $3.00 each less.

I'm sorry I pissed you off. I guess you won't be making that special exclusive run of Foliage Green stocks now
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Foliage green would look great. Will that just be furniture or the lowers also? I had one of the brown lowers for awhile, that was a very nice looking lower.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You guys can cyber-beat me all you like, just don't try to do it for real please

We've only been back int he office since Monday, but I have a call into RTP for the Foliage Green material and I spoke with the mold shop today about getting the C1 stock re-worked (it's due for some man-love).

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I spoke with the mold shop today about getting the C1 stock re-worked (it's due for some love).

Mr. Garryowen,

Can you elaborate what the changes will entail ?  Any chance that the dimensions where the stock mates against the receiver will be improved to eliminate the slight overhang ?

Also, please remember that our little forum community here has many teenagers that have not learn how to "talk" yet ?  So, please don't let the bad [er, rude] apples bug you.  And, thanks for taking the time to converse with us directly on the forum.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Whoa, has my thread inadvertantly sparked an actual re-design in a product line from a manufacturer?

Perhaps, more importantly, did I spell "inadvertantly" correctly????

LOL.

But seriously, the Colt CS stock I wound up with is one serious piece of machinery.  I couldnt be happier with my purchase and if the cav-arms could produce something similar for the price of an A2 stock, they would be making $$$$$.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The best A1 length stock is the Colt "CS" stock. Your best bet to find one will be on the EE.

+1, I found one on the EE for under $50.  It had a small scratch, but it was for a shooter, not a safe queen.  If it's for a retro project, you'll want something more authentic, though.  Moore militaria is one good choice.  Others are discussed in the various retro threads.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got my A1 stock from Tapco in the mail. Had a few minor scratches and blemishes but otherwise its a servicable stock. If you looking for something to use and not worry about the Tapco is a good deal. I am putting it on my Carbine so  I had to buy a rifle buffer tube/buffer and spring. I found them used on the EE but if I had to buy them new, I probably would have opted for a complete "kit" from one of Cavs licensed dealers as it probably would have come out close to the same amount. If you already have an A2 (with all the inards) its hard to beat 8 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the Cav Arms buttplate -- it doesn't slide off my shoulder.  It's definitely better than the cheap crappy versions of the A2 buttplate you often see out there.  The only thing I would like to see is a little more tension in the springy part of the latch -- I had problems with my door opening, even if I made sure it was latched.  The latch tab would get moved by stuff touching it (like my shoulder).

I plan to get another MK II lower, and I'll be leaving the stock buttplate on it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey ian187,

This one is for you bud... Back to the top !!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey ian187,

Here is one for Cav Arms!
Link Posted: 5/1/2006 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By ian187:

Quoted:
Hey ian187,

Here is one for Cav Arms!

Here is one for the power of 87!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top