Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm proud to say that i just ordered everything to finish my AR15... the progress is shown in the first post and photo of this thread.

Stickman - u have some awesome photography skills... what kind of camera do you use?

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I will see what I can do to help.

Any update on the Mega/Battlegrip combo?

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any update on the Mega/Battlegrip combo?

As Teknic commented, there are other companies that have the same issue, which suggests it amy not be the fault of Mega.  They are having a hard enough time putting out enough as it is, so I don't see them making any CNC changes to fit one particular grip.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Some more variations....

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm proud to say that i just ordered everything to finish my AR15... the progress is shown in the first post and photo of this thread.

Stickman - u have some awesome photography skills... what kind of camera do you use?

Thankyou, its a couple year old Olympus C-750.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the allure of MEGA?  Are they a cut above Stag or is it that they Teflon impregnate the anodizing?  Don't flame me I'm just not familiar with all of the "smaller" suppliers.

-yj
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's the allure of MEGA?  Are they a cut above Stag or is it that they Teflon impregnate the anodizing?  Don't flame me I'm just not familiar with all of the "smaller" suppliers.

-yj

I dont think anyone would flame, im curious too - but I want to know where I can buy a stripped lower and upper, I think their logo is BAD
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with mine because of their reputation of producting top notch stuff with few imperfections. Additionally, alot of other manufacturers finish ends up being more grey than black... MEGA uses a very black finish that seems to be holding up very well... I would go out on a limb and say its the best stock finish i've seen on a receiver so far.

I purchased my MEGA Receivers (Matched & marked upper & lower) from Teknic here on ARFcom... you can check him out in the EE and at http://www.nwtactical.net  

Additionally, you can order from other companies here on the EE, such as
Carrico'z Armory
Ameetec Arms
And im sure i'm missing some others.

Good luck with your build and keep the photo's coming.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's the allure of MEGA?  

-yj

They mainly do aerospace work, and are used to making a very high end product.  The beat, dented, scuffed and scratched receivers that I've seen from other companies are allowed because those companies can get away with it.  Mega is used to putting out a product done with very high quality, and it shows in their receivers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#10]
For me it was high quality, low price, matching upper, and nice logo.  Stag would have been ok, but I dont hunt and the deer seemed silly.

Mega Upper & lower (Caricoz matched)
RRA 6 pos stock
Arms 40
ATN holo ultra sight
YHM 2 piece
Colt lightweight barrel
A2 FH
POS verticle handle

The Family:
Armalite 20" HBar w Leupold Vari, Mega (Above) G26 and duty Sig 229,
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

-yj

I have put together 3 Mega builds.  The matched upper and lower's that I have put together are extremely precise fits with no slop.  Yet despite the precise fit, they are not so tight that I've had any trouble with the take-down pins.  The finish is awsome, no blemishes from the factory, and it holds up great. I have spoken to  the staff at Mega via phone directly at the factory, and they were always very helpful and courteous.

I work at a small LE agency and the guys like them so well that between us we have completed no less than six builds over the past year.

I have lowers from several different manufacturers, and I can honestly say that they "big boys" don't necessarily make the best product-I'd build (and prefer) a Mega anyday.  

Another good company to look at is Ameetec.  I like their lowers better than the RRA that I have.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
From a recent shooting excursion

Top: DPMS M4gery
Middle: Beretta 92fs
Bottom: Mega lower Rock River Midlength upper

Sorry for the poor picture quality...considering it was taken with a camera phone.

Sadly all were lost in a tragic fishing accident...

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sadly all were lost in a tragic fishing accident...

I feel your pain.    (See sig line)
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#14]
reviving the thread AND

Letting you know that i finished my build, photo on the first post.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#15]
That ends up as a great loking carbine, congratulations, and make sure you put pics up in the picture thread!
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's where I'm at with mine so far...damn she's SWEEEEET!!!

Please copy / paste into browser.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/129-213-138902.jpg
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]
BTT... Initial post changed to reflect information from MEGA on pause in production of receivers. Post more pics though!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I just sold this one since I didn't shoot it much. It financed my Garand purchase so I have not regrets. Least not yet. I don't have pictures of my mutt gun that is all Mega. Everytime I get ready to take a picture of it something gets changed. BRD really sucks.

ETA:
Mega Upper and Lower
RRA LPK
Bushie BCG, Dust cover, FA
Oly HBAR
M4 HG
Ace AFRX stock

My ancient Nikon has some color balance issues but until I can find the friggin' cable for the Minolta its all I've got.

Link Posted: 11/3/2005 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I started a thread looking for an AR related FlexFit hat when "likemopar" popped in offering to do a run of 6 custom hats for me / us. I asked about doing a Mega run and he said to get written permission. Just got off the phone with "Lane" I believe at Mega and they are VERY interested and in fact want 25 for themselves. I'm sure many of you guys would be intersted as well so check out the thread:

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=252429&page=1
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Mega.  Probably the nicest fit and finish of any upper/lower receivers I have seen.

This one shows the fit between the Mega upper/lowers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#22]
No interest in the hats? I figured they would be huge...
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Great builds guys (and maybe gals)!

I am looking to build an M4gery and am wondering what to do about an upper (I have a Mega lower).  I would love to get a Mega upper to match, but they are not cut for M4 feed ramps (and most M4 barrels are).  Do any other companies have a finish that matches up pretty well with Mega stuff?  It is not super important to me, but if I can get one that matches, I'd like to.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The CMT upper was a nice match except for the somewhat loose fit between them, and they come with M4 cuts. If it were me, I'd get a Mega upper to match, and go with a 4150 MP checked Bushmaster M4 barrel...inexpensive and top quality. Bushmaster doesn't use M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
heres a link to mine.  Pretty basic build, nothin special.  16" dpms heavy barrel with car length gaurds (gonna go with a 4rail ff gaurd in the future).  A3 upper receiver of the mega persuasion, 6 pos m4 stock.  got the whole kit from Eric @ Bang Arms.  He's like 10 miles from me so gots to keep it local.  Erics gonna hook me up with a matching pink a3 upper and lower for my wife( I absolutely cant wait to get this one built up gonna be the coolest AR ever), and some time in the near future I want to build one in 9mm for giggles.  If i could find/build one in 45 that would be even better.  i guess once you build one you can stop.  dam black rifles.

My AR
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I just bought my first ar15 lower and its a mega. I love the finish on it! it reminds me of my beloved glock. after reading the past couple posts what barrels would be best to match an mega upper? I am thinking something around 16" with threaded barrel. anyone have any opinions on such?
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a hell of a time deciding on a barrel. I knew I wanted a 16" threaded one rather than  a 14.5" pinned FH due to ability of changing FH's and increased velocity. I also knew I wanted a full auto rated 4150 mil-spec barrel with full chrome lining, as well as an MP checked bolt since bolt & barrel are the heart of the gun. I then had to decide between 1/7 & 1/9 twist. I chose 1/9. Read The Oracle to help you decide. I wanted an M4 profile so I chose the Bushmaster patrolman's barrel because it met all of my requirements, is one of the best on the market, and CHEAP. I decided however that a 7" handguard just wasn't enough though, so I went with a mid-length barrel because of the "softer" gas system, longer site radius, 9" handguards, and ability to mount up an M9 bayonet. You'll find that your mid-length options are really limited when it comes to finding one that meets these criteria. I think Sabre Defence was about my only option because Denny's custom barrels are done in 1/7 twist and have M4 feedramps. (Sabre barrels are inexpensive as well, especially w/o chrome lining.) Mega uppers are only avail. with standard rifle uppers. This is another reason I had originally chose the Bushmaster barrel...they don't do M4 barrel extensions either. My next build will be a 14.5" Bushy M4 for the ol' lady w/ Vortex FH. Really wish'd I could have talked myself into the 7" handguards. Hope this helps.

BTW, I too am  Glock guy. I will definately use Mega on all my builds. Third build after the ol lady's will be for my first born.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Greetings all-

MEGA GATOR looks awesome, I'm considering a GATOR  lower with  parts installed.
hows the quality of the lower parts?

Are MEGA recievers as good as LMT @ half the price??

Do they match up well with Bushy uppers?

Tnx for the help!

J.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Greetings all-

MEGA GATOR looks awesome, I'm considering a GATOR  lower with  parts installed.
hows the quality of the lower parts?

Are MEGA recievers as good as LMT @ half the price??

Do they match up well with Bushy uppers?

Tnx for the help!

J.

The Mega lowers may have any number of different actual parts inside them.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#30]
It's worth your time to put your own lower together.  You know you get the good parts if you buy a RRA/CMT LPK.  It doesn't really even take that long either - I just put my first lower together in about an hour (that was with taking my time and being very careful not to scratch anything).
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Something else, what upper reveivers have finishes similar to Mega (I'm crossing my fingers for CMT...)?  There aren't many Mega uppers available online.  I have no problem mixing part brands, but I would like it if the finish was somewhat close between my upper and lower.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I too wanted a CMT upper, but the fit was just too sloppy for my taste. I traded for an "MMS" marked Mega upper and it's a perfect match. Finish wise, I was happy with the Mega / CMT combo. They are both balck as hell, but the CMT finish is more dull / chalky feeling compared to the sexy satin finish of the Mega.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I too wanted a CMT upper, but the fit was just too sloppy for my taste. I traded for an "MMS" marked Mega upper and it's a perfect match. Finish wise, I was happy with the Mega / CMT combo. They are both balck as hell, but the CMT finish is more dull / chalky feeling compared to the sexy satin finish of the Mega. hr

Where did you find the Mega upper?  EE?
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#34]
A small dealer in I think NY offered to trade. Ameetec had 7 in stock when I ordered my lower about 6 - 8 weeks ago I think. I had a post under wanted to buy for one and there may be some leads there. I forget. Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Thought I would show off my latest build up. Just finished this yesterday after shopping the local gunshow.

Mega Gator Lower
Armalite LPK (Which left some to be desired)
Olympic Bull Barrel 1-in-9 SS
FIRSH Handguard
6-Position CAR stock

http://home.cfl.rr.com/mudfoot/jpgs/Mega556scoped.jpg

The fit between the upper and lower is awesome. No rattles, no daylight, but also no fitment issues. If I could do it over, which I just might end up doing, I would not get the Armalite LPK, I would go with an RRA or something else.

J.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Why wouldnt you get the armalite?
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why wouldnt you get the armalite?

It sounds like their LPK is crap.  Not a big deal as RRA or CMT make kits for around $60.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Thought I would show off my latest build up. Just finished this yesterday after shopping the local gunshow.

Mega Gator Lower
Armalite LPK (Which left some to be desired)
Olympic Bull Barrel 1-in-9 SS
FIRSH Handguard
6-Position CAR stock

home.cfl.rr.com/mudfoot/jpgs/Mega556scoped.jpg

The fit between the upper and lower is awesome. No rattles, no daylight, but also no fitment issues. If I could do it over, which I just might end up doing, I would not get the Armalite LPK, I would go with an RRA or something else.

J.

I'm also curious about what you didn't like about the Armalite LPK?

I did a couple of builds over the holiday weekend with some parts I've been gathering. Both used stripped LAR/Grizzly lowers.

First was a 20 inch A3, plain jane AR for my oldest son (USAF). Used a LPK of unkown origin I bought off the EE, went together smooth as silk.

Next up was a lower with a 6 position M4 stock for my 14.5 inch Bushmaster upper. For this one I had bought an Armalite LPK. Things were going together great until I got to the safety, it wouldn't install completely. I could tap it in, but then couldn't turn it. I tried the safety out of the other build, it worked fine. So using sandpaper and scotch brite in a drill I turned down the bearing surfaces until the safety was functional.

Then I discovered the trigger pull was about 10-12 pounds and rough as hell. Looking at the hammer with the upper removed I could see that the hammer was being cammed back by the trigger before it released.  The Armalite hammer and trigger springs seemed to be twice as strong as the other springs too.

I've got an email into Armalite, we'll see what they do about this.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Armalite usually has a good reputation with LPK.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's mine. I also posted these pics in the "Show off your builds" thread.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:33:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Armalite usually has a good reputation with LPK.

Well, maybe I just got a bum set then. The bolt catch spring was slightly out of wound, it was funnel shaped, and the hammer spring was bent. The trigger guard pin was a little wide, but was easily corrected.

I dunno, I just thought that a company that was as reputable as Armalite, would have a better kit. But maybe I caught a kit made on a Friday afternoon. No biggie. Their reputation is safe, its not a deal breaker for me.

Other than that, the build turned out awesome. I have one more Mega lower that I am planning on doing an alternative caliber build with. We'll see what happens.

j.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I got a reply from Armalite first thing this morning. They are offering to replace the trigger, hammer, and safety switch ... if I send them my parts along with an explanation.

I will probably buy a RRA 2 stage trigger for it, and just buy a new safety. Then I'll send the parts to Armalite and see what they say.

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't mean to take away from the thread, but have any of you with Mega uppers had a problem with Troy rear BUIS's canting to the left?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I got a reply from Armalite first thing this morning. They are offering to replace the trigger, hammer, and safety switch ... if I send them my parts along with an explanation.

I will probably buy a RRA 2 stage trigger for it, and just buy a new safety. Then I'll send the parts to Armalite and see what they say.

I would send them the parts, and let them know that the explanation is evidently poor quality control, and shody customer service.  I would let them know that you had to buy new parts so you could complete your project on time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Looking at the hammer with the upper removed I could see that the hammer was being cammed back by the trigger before it released.

That's normal, as long as it is not excessive.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
About Mega uppers not having m4 ramps, I recall reading somewhere on arfcom (so take it with a grain of salt), that if your barrel had the ramps, and your upper did not, it wouldn't be a big deal because there would be nothing to get hung up on (the ramps on the barrel would be lower than those on the upper, so therefore the round could never contact them.  But if you did the converse, and had an upper with m4 ramps, but not a barrel with m4 ramps, then the round could hit the lower ramp on the upper, and then get hung up on the lip that existed because the barrel had a ledge that was present that the round could contact.  I may be wrong, but it makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
www.vaq34.com/snsmega.jpg

www.vaq34.com/mega.jpg

Must be a photoshop....

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Must be a photoshop....

Get back to work....
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
www.vaq34.com/snsmega.jpg

www.vaq34.com/mega.jpg

If I didnt know better I would think both of those came off the same assembly line.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top