User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The LEGEND XLis  much brighter then the MAXFIRE XL !!!! ,it's from brinkman also the same price !!! I have the legend xl ,just bought the maxfire , returning the maxfire it's NOT the brighter of the two !!!

Yea, but is it the same size? (For mounting options)

don't have a rail on my AR ,but it Is almost the same size ,the maxfire being a hair bigger "MAYBE" !!!

The LEGEND XL is constructed of machined aircraft grade aluminum !!!
It is the same price get this one !!! trust me  !!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
i just picked mine up and mounted it. i am truly cheap. vertical grip $20 (including rail), brinkman max fire $20, mount and rings free from junk drawer. now to try it out!!

Link Posted: 1/22/2005 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one of the lights to I like it a lot will have to check out the Legend
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
How many lumens?
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen 2 of these maxfire's. One is a 2cell, and the other is a 3 cell with rechargeable batteries. Which one have all of you been buying, and if you've bought both, which is better?
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been using the 2 cell as a weapon light, but the 3 cell makes a great backup light.... and I carry one in my truck also.... it works great if you need 2 hands and still need a light... it is small enough to hold in your teeth... I have found that the legend is also a great light I gave one of them to my wife, its just not evil looking enough for a weapon light...
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I kept reading this posting for awhile and finally made it to Wally World to see if they had any.  First trip about two weeks ago and nothing.  Yesterday, bam, they had a half dozen or so Maxfire XLs.  I picked up one and stopped at the local gun store on my way home.  I bought a weaver 2-piece base and a set of cheap Tasco 1" rings.  Once the light was mounted I stopped at the hardware store and bought some 6-32 screws, fender washers, and some lock nuts and . . . walah, I have a weapon mounted light.  I had to modify the heat shield to fit since the fender washers were in the way, but it all works fine.

My thoughts on the light.  Mounted like mine is I feel that it is a decent 40 to 50 yard light.  I practiced dry firing with it last night in the back yard and I feel pretty sure that I can ID targets out to about 50 yards with it.

I haven't shot with it yet so I have no idea on the durability.  But, for $20 I don't think it will hurt to give it a try.  I have it mounted on the bottom of my handguard at 6 o'clock so activating the switch is a little difficult.  I'll have to give Brightflashlights a buzz and see if I can pick up one of their tape switches.  

I just picked up another today for a spare.  What a deal!    Also, if anyone is interested in a mount, Wal Mart can hook you up.  They have Leupold 1" rings for about $7 and Leupold bases for about $8.  Just make sure you get the two piece base with the double slots in it so that it can accomodate two rings.

As others have said, this is just to get me by until I save up the cash for a 4-rail free float tube and a Surefire Weapon Light.

Link Posted: 1/28/2005 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The Wally worlds 'round here are ALL sold out!
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Here are a few pics of mine on my rifle.
I love those light mounts..

I also like the light.
Pretty nice look to it also...

http://tinypic.com/1h8rx1

http://tinypic.com/1h8ryb

http://tinypic.com/1h8ryq
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here are a few pics of mine on my rifle.
I love those light mounts..

I also like the light.
Pretty nice look to it also...

tinypic.com/1h8rx1

tinypic.com/1h8ryb

tinypic.com/1h8ryq

who did you get the light mount from, what did it cost you
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Viking TACTICS  - Light mount for ar 15..
Just look up :

www.vikingtactics.com

$20  and honestly the best I have ever come across ....

Total of $40 for light at WALLY WORLD and Mount at above..

GREAT..........
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagged
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to have to check one of these out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I read about these tonight on another fourm, and now here.....so I went to Wally World and got me one.

Every bit as bright as my C2, but I (as are others) am wondering about its life-span when mounted on a weapon. Even so, for 20 bucks it's steal.

Well I might have a remedy for you guys who want to use the more affordable lights like the Brinkman and others I use a Tacstar T-6 ($34.00 bucks)personally with no ill affects with my set-up! I used a 30mm Red Dot scope ring to mount my light by using some Danco 1" "O" rings I think they were No. 16-17 or 18 size anyway you can get these at Lowes or any hardware store and install 4-5 of these on your body of the light(which most are 1") then smear a little vaseline or grease on the "O" rings to prevent squish and mount the 2 halves of the scope ring together and slowly tighten it down this will also SHOCK mount your light because of the rubber "O" rings Mine has worked flawlessly like that for many rounds so far email me for pics if ya want to see my set-up it works GREAT for us cheapskates!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I kept reading this posting for awhile and finally made it to Wally World to see if they had any.  First trip about two weeks ago and nothing.  Yesterday, bam, they had a half dozen or so Maxfire XLs.  I picked up one and stopped at the local gun store on my way home.  I bought a weaver 2-piece base and a set of cheap Tasco 1" rings.  Once the light was mounted I stopped at the hardware store and bought some 6-32 screws, fender washers, and some lock nuts and . . . walah, I have a weapon mounted light.  I had to modify the heat shield to fit since the fender washers were in the way, but it all works fine.

My thoughts on the light.  Mounted like mine is I feel that it is a decent 40 to 50 yard light.  I practiced dry firing with it last night in the back yard and I feel pretty sure that I can ID targets out to about 50 yards with it.

I haven't shot with it yet so I have no idea on the durability.  But, for $20 I don't think it will hurt to give it a try.  I have it mounted on the bottom of my handguard at 6 o'clock so activating the switch is a little difficult.  I'll have to give Brightflashlights a buzz and see if I can pick up one of their tape switches.  

I just picked up another today for a spare.  What a deal!    Also, if anyone is interested in a mount, Wal Mart can hook you up.  They have Leupold 1" rings for about $7 and Leupold bases for about $8.  Just make sure you get the two piece base with the double slots in it so that it can accomodate two rings.

As others have said, this is just to get me by until I save up the cash for a 4-rail free float tube and a Surefire Weapon Light.

www.hunt101.com/img/245518.JPG

www.hunt101.com/img/245904.JPG

www.hunt101.com/img/245905.JPG

crack me up!   that there is some    riggin'
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok I stopped by Wally World yesterday and they finally have them in stock so I picked one up for evaluation.

1 Word: Disappoinment

After reading the good things about the light I had to try one out.   So last night I played with the light and compared it to a G2.  This is what I learned

Pros: Rubber texured exterios makes for a nice cigar hold, price is $10 (or 33%) cheaper than a G2, and has a built in 'Clickie' tailcap.

Cons: It is longer than a G2 by roughly an inch (yet weighs the same), it requires way too much pressure to activate the light (making it HARD to use the cigar hold), takes way too much travel to 'click on' the light, light pattern (hot spot) is not as round & symetrical as the G2

I also didn't care for the wimpy spring of the tailcap and it's plastic design, but that's a subjective observation.

I think this would make a fine utility light, but as a 'Tactical Light' I find it lacking (particularly in the controls). I would rather have spent the extra $10 and gotten a G2 which I know can be upgraded with a Z32 and other switching options.

I have installed it in a TDI light mount, for testing as a weapon light.  I'll try it with the VFG using it as a thumb activated light and on the forearm at the 6:00 where I activate with the side pressure from my finger.  Further testing will be forthcomming.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
What are you talking about "CIGAR HOLD" ???

No one would go into a cqb situation holding the light like a cigar..

You lost me there..

Maybe not the best light for the middle east, but for the money, the best I have found for blasting rodents at the ranch.

Please fill me in on this new CIGAR HOLD..
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Please fill me in on this new CIGAR HOLD

Not new by any stretch of the imagination.  It's also known as the 'Rogers Technique', the hold resembles a person holding a cigar.

It's often used with handguns as it allows a two handed hold.  It can be used with carbines with VFGs should your weapon mounted light go down.

All my lights (hand held and weapon) can be used in either role.  If you've ever had a light go down you'll understand why.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]

crack me up! that there is some riggin'

I take offense to that!  I don't feel that posts with racial slurs should be tolerated.  Not everyone that owns and AR and visits this board is a white male.  Even though I am, the next guy might not be.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
If you dont like riggin, How 'bout Redneck Engineering. Thats what applies to ME!

Oh, finally got the light and will be putting it on my rifle soon. No complaints so far!
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the flashlight in the hunting section or the flashlight section?
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is the flashlight in the hunting section or the flashlight section?

It will be in the camping / hunting section.

I picked one up on a whim to try out too. My observations are exactly the same as forest's. It is a great little light to throw in my truck, but it is not very "tactical" at all. Maybe I will mount it on my 9mm AR with the Tacpoint on it....
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#27]
tag

Just saw these today at wally world.  They also have a larger one that runs off LED's that is called the "rebel" and even comes with colored filters for only $15.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#28]
What is a G2, Where can I get one, and how much, anyone one have a photo of a G2.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What is a G2, Where can I get one, and how much, anyone one have a photo of a G2.

It's an entry level Surefire light.  Talk with Brightflashlights about getting one (he is in the Industry section of this website) - IIRC he has some pictures as does Surefire's website.
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you dont like riggin, How 'bout Redneck Engineering. Thats what applies to ME!

Oh, finally got the light and will be putting it on my rifle soon. No complaints so far!

My above post also applies to you as well. Don't pull this chit again!!

IM Sent
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I finally found a Maxfire XL at my local Wally World !

For those in the Memphis area, I found it at the Hwy 64 Wal-Mart near Wolfchase.  I got the last one but they have two pegs and Im sure they will order more.

The Wally World in Millington doesnt have a peg for them...

LB
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#35]
any of these have a pressure pad switch that can work with it
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked one up and put in an ARMS 35 QD mount. Go figure $20 light in a $175 mount with the 1in conversion rings. It does function pretty well until I save my pennies for a real light.

Link Posted: 2/27/2005 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Go figure $20 light in a $175 mount with the 1in conversion rings.

Now THAT is some funky engineering.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Picked one up and put in an ARMS 35 QD mount. Go figure $20 light in a $175 mount with the 1in conversion rings. It does function pretty well until I save my pennies for a real light.
pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL348/904471/1652865/87133979.jpg
pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL348/904471/1652865/87133959.jpg

Well....Its not going anywhere..
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#40]
FYI, at least the Wallyorld I go to also has $6 1" scope rings in the same aisle, so for $26 plus a short piece of weaver rail (from your local Gander Mountain for less than $9) and some screws from Ace Hardware (figure $2) you can have a cheapo weapons light setup for under $40
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I played with it last night. None of the G2 parts would fit the Brinkman.

Did you compare the tailcaps? Any possibility that a G2 tape switch would work on a Maxfire?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
it will not fit the viking flashlight holder unless you force it and then it rips the rubber housing
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#43]
picked one up a few days ago.

if the beam on my surefire is say 95% perfect, the brinkman is about 93%

i'm pretty happy with it.  i'm gonna pick up a couple more to scatter around the house/truck
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#44]
well I took the plunge, not a big plunge but this is the first light I've put on a gun so I figured this would be a concept test if the light doesn't stand up to the shooting.

So far I love the light and will replace most of my maglights with it as long as it holds up.

This is my budget Carbine...don't make fun of the optic it's on there so I can get used to a red dot while I decide and save for a better one.

Close up...It's a weaver 1inch double band mount...I'm out $28 on this deal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#45]
dawg180

how do you attach the weaver rail with the screws to the standard m4 handguard?  do you use some kind of backer piece? what type of screws? Sorry it must be late I am tech changed right now..thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Well I put 200 rounds through the gun with the brinkman mounted...I need to locktight the mount but other than that no problems.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I just got done mounting the Viking mount and Brinkman flashlight comb. For $40.00 you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I played with it last night. None of the G2 parts would fit the Brinkman.

Did you compare the tailcaps? Any possibility that a G2 tape switch would work on a Maxfire?

I don't remember if I tried that or not. I'll try it tonight.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#49]
I tried the aftermarket tailcap tape switch that Bright Flashlights has...it did not work..I have a G2 on my carbine and the Wally World light is doing duty as a car light...

I used the $6 set of 1" rings at Wal-Mart for mounting the G2 on my Surefire M73 handguards...

All-in-all..not a bad deal for a light..
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
dawg180

how do you attach the weaver rail with the screws to the standard m4 handguard?  do you use some kind of backer piece? what type of screws? Sorry it must be late I am tech changed right now..thanks

I haven't actaully done it, but I figure you can go down to the local hardware store and find some screws/nuts that would work with a scope mount base, and use the vent hols in a standard handguard to thread them through.  Being "hillybilly tech" it will take a little looking to find a scope base and the right hardware, but i know others have done it and it works.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top