Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just bought 3 cases (10 boxes in case) at one of the new Wal Marts on the outskirts of town. The lady told me that Winchester had been sold but didn't know anything about a price increase. I hit this store about 2 weeks ago and cleaned them out of about 7 boxes.
It appears it hasn't gone up here since I bought some at another store yesterday.
JRandyH

Unsolicited advice: never take ANY advice from "The lady at walmart".

For what it is worth: Winchester is not making firearms now, they are still going strong with ammo production. I used to live near the plant in Alton, Illinois, and that place will be operating for years and years.

Almost.  The US Repeating Arms Co, is not making Winchester Rifles in the US anymore.  They are still making shotguns overseas.  Olin corp, which makes the ammo and powder is a completely unrelated (in terms of manufacturing) entity.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
guy at counter told me today that low volume stores will no longer carry firearms but still carry ammo. If you live near a high volume store your ok. So everyone spend some money at wal-mart
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Goddamn....never thought I'd see the day but now I'm gonna have to consider Wolf.

Hey, I like to bumpfire alot and my Eagle is particularly good at dumping a 30 in a couple seconds

Friggin' WalMArt putting us in an ammo crisis....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can anybody from MI confirm weather the price has gone up in any of the stores around MI? I was just thinking about going back because I only have a few boxes left :(

9.98 here in central MI.I`m going to check a few more stores in the area  later today.
But they do have 100rd. WWB for .40 for alil over 16.00 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Its just my guess but several weeks ago one store told me it was deleted. The other stores said no. I think WInchester doesn't have a contract with Israel to make it anymore. Walmart has a limited supply onhand in the warehouses and decided to jack the prices up till its gone.
I just started shooting again several weeks ago after buying two bushies. Its been almost 8 years or so since I have shot a rifle regularly. I always hated it when I find something that shoots really well in my guns and they change it or quit making it. It was that way with UMC in the late 80's. Their 223 bullet configuration was such that it shot great in my 1/7 hbar I had at the time. They changed the bullet to more of a spire point and the accuracy suffered greatly in that rifle.
I found right off the Walmart ammo was by far the most accurate I have shot unless its Black Hills HP. I still have to experiment with some of the other black hills since this is probably 15 years old.
I did pick up about 3000 rounds of the Walmart stuff over the past few weeks hitting 4 stores over and over when I realized it may be deleted. I just wish I had gotten I had been shooting and picked up some of the Q3131A. I have never found any Israeli ammo that wasn't extremely accurate.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Just called the Franklin, WI Walmart and they are also now at the $9.98 price for the WWB. I get the same  results with the Remington/UMC (green/white box) 55gr that they sell for $3.97 a box, so that is still an almost as cheap option, when they actually have it in stock. Guess I'll have to spend more time in the basement reloading now (ugh)...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got back from WallyWorld here in Jacksonville,FL.Got 4 boxes at $7.73.Guy didn't know anything about a price increase but he did say that the W.W.'s that were in the bottom 10% as far as firearms sales were going to stop selling firearms.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#8]
$9.98 per box at the Middletown, New York WallyWorld today

Looks like I will be spending more time at the reloading bench.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#9]
As much noise as everybody here makes about the great price of WW .223 ammo it wouldn't surprise me if somebody at walmart didn't see it here and say "hmmm time to jack the price" just to get a bonus.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Its not that the prices is super great or anything since it comes out to around 203.00 for a 1000 round case. Its just that its been readily avaliable without buying large quanties and super accurate for plinking ammo.
Its much less desirable at the new price people are claiming. I stopped by one of the stores I hit earlier in the week today and the tag on the shelf still showed it as 7.73. I asked the clerk and he scanned it and said that was correct price but they haven't gotten anymore in since I hit thim Monday.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Went to two more Walmarts today in Fredericksburg. VA   Both are now $9.98 a box of 40.    Gander mountain wanted $5.49 for a box of 20.    Roll your own or shoot wolf if you want cheap.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
how about an email campaign to wallmart stating our dissatisfaction with the price increase
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
how about an email campaign to wallmart stating our dissatisfaction with the price increase

Wouldn't do much good.

It's like writing a letter to your favorite gas station on the price of petrol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]
never know if ya dont try

i am lookin for corp contact info
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
The increase in price will probably ease the supply problems.  They can't keep it in stock because it is so cheap.  I guess now every Wal-mart will have some on their shelf.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
$9.98 in Edmond, OK.

9mm and .45ACP also went up, but not nearly as bad.  Also, they were 100 round value packs so the difference isn't as bad.
9mm $11.34 + $0.64 = New price of $11.98
.45ACP $19.97 + $1.01 = New price of $20.98
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm retired but working part time at my local WallyWorld in the Sporting Goods dept. ht
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I went shooting today and stopped off at the local walley world and picked up a box of 223 40round "Value Pack" the 45gr hp stuff
The thing that was strange was it is now 14.37 +tax total 15.56

there was a topic about a month or 2 ago and was several pages of people stating they were getting it for 11.73 or 11.74 or some thing.

So I guess my question is did it go up all over or just here? Could it have been marked wrong?

If this is the new price can they still call it the "Value Pack" ?

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I hit two Walmart's today. One the price had gone up to 9.98 in the computer, but I made them sell me their last 3 boxes at 7.73 as that is what it said on the shelf. I hit another Walmart and cleaned them out of all their ten boxes at the scanned price of $7.73. One last Wally to check on Monday and then I'll have hit up the whole area. This is upstate NY btw.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
$9.98 here. DAMN! I should have bought a couple cases at $7.73. Shot up all I had at the last Hernando shoot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Bummer ... with Georgia jumping on the make WalMart pay Employee health insurance bandwagon I guess they will be raising all their prices to pay for it ...  Isn't Goverment interventions a wonderful thing!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
i went to walmart today.  223 40 round values  are like you say 9.98 a box.

he said the price increase happened last monday there, not just the 223 all winchester ammo increased   and of course they no longer sell winchester rifles.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#23]
As I said in another thread-my WMart has just stopped getting it at all!!
Taken the price locater right off the shelf..

In it's place is the .45gr Varmint 40 pks for 14$plus..
Compared to that-the 9.98 is a "Bargain"

Looks like the "new" price is 5 bux a box for .223/5.56..

They have LOTS of .223 Remington at 3.73 per 20..

Have not tried this for plinking but will do so shortly!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought 10 boxes of 55FMJ WWB for $7.73 on 3-2-06 from my local wally world. Then I saw this "New Info" link so I made my usual rounds on the 11th. The one I bought on the 2nd of March didn't have any but the shelf still had a $7.73 sticker. The next closest WM had removed their sticker. I went to the wally world on my way to vist my dad and they had 15 boxes @ $7.73 The older gentleman had only worked there one week and had trouble running the register. People were walking by giving me weird looks for buying 600 rounds.hone
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
As I said in another thread-my WMart has just stopped getting it at all!!
Taken the price locater right off the shelf..

In it's place is the .45gr Varmint 40 pks for 14$plus..
Compared to that-the 9.98 is a "Bargain"

Looks like the "new" price is 5 bux a box for .223/5.56..

They have LOTS of .223 Remington at 3.73 per 20..

Have not tried this for plinking but will do so shortly!!

The UMC is good stuff as well.  I have about 500 rds stockpiled.  Functions well and groups better than the Winchester WWB.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yep! Price went up today to $9.98.

Same here in Mesa AZ.

.25 a round now, bad, very bad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Its just my guess but several weeks ago one store told me it was deleted. The other stores said no. I think WInchester doesn't have a contract with Israel to make it anymore. Walmart has a limited supply onhand in the warehouses and decided to jack the prices up till its gone.
I just started shooting again several weeks ago after buying two bushies. Its been almost 8 years or so since I have shot a rifle regularly. I always hated it when I find something that shoots really well in my guns and they change it or quit making it. It was that way with UMC in the late 80's. Their 223 bullet configuration was such that it shot great in my 1/7 hbar I had at the time. They changed the bullet to more of a spire point and the accuracy suffered greatly in that rifle.
I found right off the Walmart ammo was by far the most accurate I have shot unless its Black Hills HP. I still have to experiment with some of the other black hills since this is probably 15 years old.
I did pick up about 3000 rounds of the Walmart stuff over the past few weeks hitting 4 stores over and over when I realized it may be deleted. I just wish I had gotten I had been shooting and picked up some of the Q3131A. I have never found any Israeli ammo that wasn't extremely accurate.
JRandyH

I believe you are correct on not being made anymore.  the Winchester web site doesent list it.  It does have the 9mm Value Packs tho.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Was in Michigan today, while they were all out of 'em I asked the lady if they were raising prices. She looked them up in inventory and said it was deleted, but would still order it and still sell it for 7.73. She also said at 7.72 they were making a 22% profit on it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Just stopped by wal-mart and the price has gone to 9.98 a box here in Nashville.  30% increase is insane.  I going to try the wal mart by my work tomorrow but don't expect any different.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#30]
So when in Wal Mart going to start selling Chinese surplus ammo?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So when in Wal Mart going to start selling Chinese surplus ammo?

Maybe they will start selling AKs as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn, that sucks.

How disappointing. Seems like everything good turns to crap, just about the time you get used to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#33]
This is a direct result of the popularity of the .223 round in general and the AR15-type platform in specific.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Report from JAX,FL

I went to two local Wal-mart this weekend and the price on the 40 round value packs of .223 did indeed go up to 9.98. This was at the 103rd & Normandy Wal-marts.

Also starting soon there will only be THREE Wal-marts in all of Jax that will sell guns, they will continue to sell ammo but no more guns. A girl at the Normandy store said it was because Wal-mart doesn't make any profit on the guns they sell. I find that hard to believe, but that's what she said.

At that price I won't buy .223 ammo from Wal-mart. .27cents a round? Are you freaking kidding me?!?

I'll just stock up at the gun shows where I can get 1000 rounds of mixed stamped for .16cents per round.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i just called the 3 wally's within my south bend area wwb fmj $9.98/box 9mm value packs 11.98/box

crap

I went to the Wally World on the north side of Goshen Saturday after work and picked up 5 boxes for the usual $7.73.
I left a few for someone else.
I really had to work to finally get an associate to help me though.
She told me that they were having "issues" with that dept and that the other depts in the area were covering for the time being.
I'm guessing that is why they hadn't marked it up yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#36]
After reading this thread Friday afternoon I rushed to the Wal-Mart here in the town where I work, and yes, it was up to $9.98. Damn. Then after I got home I went to the local Wal-Mart and it had gone up to $9.98 there also. I won't be buying it anymore, not at that price.

I think Wal-Mart will have a lot of that in inventory from now on, unless there are a lot of uniformed ammo buyers out there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Lets see if this math works,

I can go to wally world and hope that they have some in stock and pay +/- 250 +7% tax per thous

-or-

Order online from Ammo Man - American Eagle for 219 per thous landed?

Hummmmm let met think?? What Should I do??  I will vote w/ my wallet, What do you think?

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This is a direct result of the popularity of the .223 round in general and the AR15-type platform in specific.

TS

Actually, I think it is a direct result of prodution capacity vs use around the world. About a year ago bullets for us reloaders started going up in price. Now, the ammo is going up. I see dark days ahead for the price of ammo (specifically .223).

However, the price of magazines has done the opposite. Right now is "the good old days" for magazines act accordingly.

Recgonize where there is a glut and buy buy buy.

ETA: I belive we will see cheap .223 in the future, but not until the war on terror is won. Once the military demand is done, we will see a huge glut of ammo on the market. Our suppliers are ramping up production and that capacity will have to go somewhere when the war is over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Who else has this 40 WWB ammo?  Can you buy it online?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#40]
ITS GONE DELETED  This is the second store in town telling me this. I first heard it 3 weeks ago. I was in the store friday they were out. Today the scan stated Deleted. I had just left another store than I bought 2 cases from Thursday and left 10 boxes on the shelf. They had jacked their price to the 9.98 price so I left it there today.
I guess I was right. They are not getting anymore so they are jacking the price up on the stock they have left either in the warehouse or at the stores.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I called 5 Walmarts in NOVA today and none had any in stock.  I drove my the Fairlakes Walmart and they still had it listed for 7.73 with none there.  I picked up 6 boxes of 9mm for my trouble.

I won't pay 9.xx for 223, I'll buy from Georgia Arms.

GA Arms has raised the price of the 500 rd cans to $90 + local tax at the funshow yesterday.

GAA:  $90.00 x 1.07 = $96.30 / 500 = $0.193 per rd

WWB:   $7.73 x 1.07 =  $8.27 / 40 = $0.207 per rd
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#42]
My local WM told me that it had been discontinued.  The spot on the shelf was filled with the 45 grain value pack.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#43]
$9.98 today
$7.73 2 weeks ago

If it's really discontinued, then why isn't it marked DOWN $2.25, instead of UP $2.25? (Rhetorical Question)

I have bought a lot of WWB 40's from Walmart. I have read about many other questionable practices WalMart participates in, but as a customer and defender of WalMart's right to exist as a legitimate success in capitalism, I have turned a blind eye. But no more. This blatant move by WalMart to gouge/screw it's customers, such as myself, has pushed me over the edge --they just lost me as a customer. I will not buy anything from WalMart again. Ever.

AE
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#44]
there was a list that came out a week or 2 ago, with like 1000 stores that would no longer carry guns, plus stores that relocate and new stores.   as for the wwb it is deleted/discontinued  for now and the new price for wwb is like $9.93, unless they are price matching a local store around you that has it.  i think all off the winchester ammo has gome up in the last week(not sure on pistol ammo).  this has all come from the crazy people at our home office in bonaville.

leao
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought the last 3 boxes the wal-mart here had and it was still $7.73 a box. Everytime I go in and buy them out I ask if they will be getting more and I am told no, Yet everyother time I check and see they do in fact have some....so we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#46]
You can alwaays go to Sports Authority and buy the exact same ammo in 20 round boxes for 5.99.
Funny thing is they had Q3131 up until last week for 4.99. Somebody relieved them of that since I was there about a week ago. The guy in the sporting goods dept stated they had just marked up all their ammo also. It didn't appear to be much as they were already high.
As for Wal mart the store that said it was deleted today after he scanned the 7.73 price usually sell alot of ammo.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You can alwaays go to Sports Authority and buy the exact same ammo in 20 round boxes for 5.99.
Funny thing is they had Q3131 up until last week for 4.99. Somebody relieved them of that since I was there about a week ago. The guy in the sporting goods dept stated they had just marked up all their ammo also. It didn't appear to be much as they were already high.
As for Wal mart the store that said it was deleted today after he scanned the 7.73 price usually sell alot of ammo.
JRandyH

Wouldn't this lead you to believe that perhaps WINCHESTER/OLIN went up on their price?  Everyone here is bitching about WM but ammo has gone up EVERYWHERE lately.  Anyone bitching about any other vendors raising their prices on ammo?  I never bought ammo at WM anyway so it doesn't affect me, but everybody on here is slamming WM when it's pretty obivous to me that they just got a price increase from their supplier so they in turn upped their price.  That's the way businesses work...........
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I called 5 Walmarts in NOVA today and none had any in stock.  I drove my the Fairlakes Walmart and they still had it listed for 7.73 with none there.  I picked up 6 boxes of 9mm for my trouble.

GA Arms has raised the price of the 500 rd cans to $90 + local tax at the funshow yesterday.

GAA:  $90.00 x 1.07 = $93.30 / 500 = $0.192 per rd

Crap.  Didn't GA just raise their price a few months ago?  Another increase?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GAA:  $90.00 x 1.07 = $93.30 / 500 = $0.192 per rd

Crap.  Didn't GA just raise their price a few months ago?  Another increase?

Canned heat has been 90/500 and 170/1000 for at least 3 months.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Price went up today at the Wal-Mart where I work. Now 9.98 for the 223 value pack. But it wasn't just 223 ammo - ALL Winchester ammo, from 22 to 45 caliber and including shotgun shells, went up. It looks like Winchester is trying to price itself out of the ammunition business.hinking.gif
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top