Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the chambers were cut long and finished after they were chromed, so there's no chrome running over the edge (wild guess).

Quoted:
I spoke with CMMG about the chamber appearing to not be chrome lined.  They told me that the chamber appeared to not be chrome lined due to the manner in which the barrel was parkerized.  Can anyone verify if this is true?  I have always been under the impression that pretty much no finish would stick to chrome lining.

"Appear" meaning it only seems like it's not there, or "appear" meaning that seems to be the reason it's not there?

Random internet search reveals: www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/park/pagepark.htm

Chrome-lining does not take phosphate coatings and the crud that appears on the inside of chrome lined barrels can be cleaned out with patches.

Hit it with a chamber brush and see what happens?
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I hit mine with a chamber brush and did about 15 complete turns.  The chamber is now a shiny chrome color similar to my new Bushmaster barrel.  I will point out that the ring of chrome is spread nearly over the entire face of the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could say same, unfortunately it is not. Mine is still black after several turns, no matter what I do....
Chrome lining starts right after where case mouth is in the chamber.
MN
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, I am very interested to see what others find.  The "chrome" I see is dull like a new barrel.  I assume mine looks that way due to no rounds having been fired since I used the chamber brush to scrape the "finish" off.  When I get a chance I will fire 90-120 rounds through it and see if the "chrome" starts to shine.  What I am afraid of is that the "chrome" I see is really just bare steel that I managed to wear the finish off.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I will check mine tonight when I get home from work, but I will probably not be able to respond for a couple of weeks as I will be leaving the country (no internet at home). If I have the chance I will try and update what I find on my barrel tomorrow morning before my plane leaves.

I'm really hoping that the chamber is indeed chrome lined. If not, I think this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me on this barrel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Still speculation at this point though right?....
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't tell if mine is chromed or not .But appears to have been polished.
Can't put it together to shoot came with wrong HG cap and no shim
They sure used dull-ass tools to cut the muzzle crown and chamber.
As I look this over I don't think the shim will work properly to keep the HG cap from rotating.
I'm half afraid to invest in a FF tube to complete this thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey!

I just checked mine and it is deffinately chrome lined chamber.  Mine does look different than that last pic though.  Mine is deffinately champfered where the one in the pic looks pretty much flat right where the chamber starts.

Any body know what I mean?

Edited to add that mine looks most goodly.

Smooth as a baby's ass.

I ain't that good with a digi cam but give me a minute or 20 here.

Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Who wants to host my pic.

PS.  I can't fucking believe that for the extra 40 bucks I paid for my fucking membership, that it is so fucking hard to up load fucking pictures here.

As much as some people may think that some others are sooo fucking kuhl, say, like the administraters of this site, others think they may be big fucking DICK HEADS!

Not that that would be me by any chance.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I didn't bother checking the chamber before installing it because when installing the flash hider I could see a chrome bore as clear as day on the end of the muzzle. However, after reading this thread I decide to take a look and my chamber shows no signs of chrome lining. If you shine a flashlight down the chamber, you can even see the bright chrome ring where the chamber ends and the bore begins.

Guess I need to ask CMMG some questions about this chrome parkerizing process they are claiming...
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I just checked mine, it doesn't appear to be chromelined either. The chamber is dull and actually has a yellowish tint to it in some spots.
I'd post some pics, but have to wait to get my camera back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Who wants to host my pic.

www.imageshack.us/ Free, super simple, no account needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I checked mine last night by shning a bright flashlight into the chamber. I didn't have time to take pics and load them up, but it doesn't appear to be chrome lined. That's not to say it isn't. It is just speculation at this point, but I certainly see a difference between the bore and the chamber.  The bore being bright and shiney and the chamber being dull and black.

I ran a bore brush and several patches through the chamber to see if that would take the parkerizing off the chrome lining (if it's there) and that didn't have any effect.

At this point I either don't know what I'm looking for (I would assume a chrome lined chamber would be as bright and shiney as the bore), the parkerizing is still just covering the chrome lining, or there is no chrome lining in the chamber at all.

I will be leaving the country for a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping that by the time I get back this is all resolved and that, in fact, the chamber is chrome lined.

Unfortunately, if it's not chrome lined I think I will have to ask for a refund . I certainly wouldn't hold Giff to blame, if this were found to be the case, as these things are out of his control.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
From this Link:

Chrome-lining does not take phosphate coatings (parkerizing) and the crud that appears on the inside of chrome lined barrels can be cleaned out with patches.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I ran a bore brush and several patches through the chamber to see if that would take the parkerizing off the chrome lining (if it's there) and that didn't have any effect.

Did you use a chamber brush or just a bore brush?  It took me quit a number of turns with a chamber brush to get my chamber to "appear" some what shiny.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Well rather than hypothesize about what new process CMMG might have discovered to successfully parkerize chrome, maybe we should just take one of the suspect barrels and have it independently tested and examined to see if the chamber is chrome-lined?

Because at this point we are looking at one of two options - CMMG is blatantly lying about the chambers or they are telling the truth and we have nothing to worry about. It looks like the major problem is that nobody has ever seen a parkerized chrome chamber before - even on other CMMG chrome barrels and I think that has all of us just a little uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well rather than hypothesize about what new process CMMG might have discovered to successfully parkerize chrome, maybe we should just take one of the suspect barrels and have it independently tested and examined to see if the chamber is chrome-lined?

Because at this point we are looking at one of two options - CMMG is blatantly lying about the chambers or they are telling the truth and we have nothing to worry about. It looks like the major problem is that nobody has ever seen a parkerized chrome chamber before - even on other CMMG chrome barrels and I think that has all of us just a little uncomfortable.

I'm with you on this.  Where would one take a barrel to have it looked at?
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm with you on this.  Where would one take a barrel to have it looked at?

Good question. I was hoping someone here might know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I still have several barrels sitting here. I just took a Q-Tip and  applied cold blue to the chambers.  None of them turned black.  Theres your answer.

Just to clarify, are you saying that you took cold blue to several Giffmann groub buy 1/7 mids with black/discolored chambers and the cold blue did not take so you believe the chambers are chrome-lined?
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That is correct. Even the "darker" chambers have some white around the edges, and none discolored.  

Do they look like the chamber M4A2 posted in his page 2 pic? Are they dark enough that you can see a distinct chrome ring where the bore starts when you shine a light into those chambers? I'm just trying to figure out if we are both talking about the same type of chamber because I don't recall any white around the edges on mine. It looked pretty much like the barrel phosphate.

I'll try to get a good picture to post later.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No, bore and rifling are chromelined but chamber isn´t. Couple of pics from 20" and 11.5" Bushmaster chambers vs. 16" midlength. Any differences?

www.sniperworld.com/ar/govtchamber4.jpg
www.sniperworld.com/ar/sbrchamber5.jpg
www.sniperworld.com/ar/reccechamber9.jpg

MN

How do you not see the ring? It is not as light as the bushmasters' but still noticable. Your chamber face also looks dirty on mid-length picture-that is why it is darker.

That ring at the begining of the bore that is clearly evident is also noticable on my RRA M4 barrel. I at first was also worried when i got mine a year ago that something was wrong, but it turned out to be all ok. It does look like something is wrong-like an illusion.

The cold blue test is the final answer, and I'm suprised someone did not do it before ADCO had to do it for everyone-- to "prove" that CMMG did it. Especially when people are saying "Mine definately isnt chrome" and "This is totally unacceptable" when they havent even cleaned up the chamber yet to look, let alone perform a simple test. Deductive reasoning must be an afterthought -- type first and worry about the results later.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#25]

How do you not see the ring? It is not as light as the bushmasters' but still noticable. Your chamber face also looks dirty on mid-length picture-that is why it is darker.

It may look dirty, that shine comes from CLP I used quite liberally when using chamber and bore brush, back and forth, twist and turn- no help, that chamber looks like my soul, black as hell....

Want more pics? That can be arranged...

That ring at the begining of the bore that is clearly evident is also noticable on my RRA M4 barrel. I at first was also worried when i got mine a year ago that something was wrong, but it turned out to be all ok. It does look like something is wrong-like an illusion.

You are right, chrome lining on RRA chambers isn´t as easily seen as for example Bushmaster but it is more easily recognized than in my 16 midlength.
Here is picture of RRA chrome lined barrel. Clean and dry enough?

The cold blue test is the final answer, and I'm suprised someone did not do it before ADCO had to do it for everyone-- to "prove" that CMMG did it. Especially when people are saying "Mine definately isnt chrome" and "This is totally unacceptable" when they havent even cleaned up the chamber yet to look, let alone perform a simple test. Deductive reasoning must be an afterthought -- type first and worry about the results later.

I´ll try cold blue test myself but it would be damn difficult to determine that because that damn chamber is black already....

MN
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep looks just like my RRA barrel.

The cleaning comment was not directed toward you. It was toward Azalin. You giff barrel did look dirty though, maybe it was they yellow-ish color of the chamber face where the chrome ring is that made it look like it hadnt been cleaned. I can see the chrome ring.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The cleaning comment was not directed toward you. It was toward Azalin. You giff barrel did look dirty though, maybe it was they yellow-ish color of the chamber face where the chrome ring is that made it look like it hadnt been cleaned. I can see the chrome ring.

No hard feelings. I can see there is only light ring around the chamfer and that made me originally curious.  

MN
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Why was the cleaning tip directed at me?  I did not even post pictures.  I cleaned the shit out of my chamber with a chamber brush just to get a dull chrome ring to shine through.  

Out of 15 other uppers I have looked at none have a dull chrome ring around the face of the chamber except a new Bushmaster barrel I have which is still a little shinier.  I have never seen a chamber that was black when new and everything I have read indicates that phosphate finishes do not stick to chrome.  

All of the above culminates to form doubt over the chamber being chrome lined.  I will try the cold blue test myself but other wise it seems that the chamber is in fact chrome lined.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm pleased to report that I am a hammerhead. It wasn't phosphate; but just remnants of the process and 150rds or so I guess. I hit it with a chamber brush on a fixed, non-turning rod (instead of the standard GI chamber brush where the rod spins and you can pretty much only go in and out) and the chamber is now obviously bright and shiny chrome.

It required a little soak in CLP and about 5-6 turns by hand with a bare chamber brush and then a chamber brush with a shotgun patch over it; but it cleaned right up. My bad CMMG/Giffmann and thanks for the patience.

The only difference between this and my chromed Bushy barrel in appearance now is that a much larger area is chromed on the CMMG barrel in the breech - that may be why the small ring isn't as apparent as practically the whole breech end of the chamber is chromed (see Yojimbo's pic in the other thread). With the entire end of the chamber one color and covered in gunk, it looks like a uniform phosphate coating instead of a slightly discolored area where the chrome ring is on most barrels.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I just look at my group buy barrel and noticed that the chamber does not appear to be chrome lined.   The chamber is totally black on the face and my upper has had several hundred rounds through it and been cleaned.   This is totally unacceptable. Further I compared my group buy barrel to another CMMG barrel.  The 16", M4 profile CMMG barrel has a very distinct chrome "ring" around the out side of the chamber.

Quoted:
I hit mine with a chamber brush and did about 15 complete turns.   The chamber is now a shiny chrome color similar to my new Bushmaster barrel.  I will point out that the ring of chrome is spread nearly over the entire face of the barrel extension.

That is what I am talking about. It seems like you are too quick to jump to conclusions.

edit for board code
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just look at my group buy barrel and noticed that the chamber does not appear to be chrome lined.   The chamber is totally black on the face and my upper has had several hundred rounds through it and been cleaned.   This is totally unacceptable. Further I compared my group buy barrel to another CMMG barrel.  The 16", M4 profile CMMG barrel has a very distinct chrome "ring" around the out side of the chamber.

Quoted:
I hit mine with a chamber brush and did about 15 complete turns.   The chamber is now a shiny chrome color similar to my new Bushmaster barrel.  I will point out that the ring of chrome is spread nearly over the entire face of the barrel extension.

That is what I am talking about. It seems like you are too quick to jump to conclusions.

edit for board code

.I can see were you are coming from.  Look at this from my perspective. When you have access to two barrels from a particular manufacturer and 13 barrels from other manufacturers and none of them exhibited the "black chrome" that the GB barrel did it makes one wary of potential defects.  Consider that I shot over 500 rounds through the upper and cleaned it once and still the chamber was black with no visible chrome.  It took 15 complete revolutions of a chamber brush to get an appearance of chrome to shine through.  Also consider the other problems with the barrels gas system being out of spec.  All of the above coming together creates an environment that breeds doubt about a product.

You should also read my post where I presented CMMG explanation of the barrels being black.  I am sorry that I do not have blind faith in what a manufacturer tells me.  I feel obligated to check explanations when they deviate from what previous experience has taught me.

I am pleased that the barrel and chamber is chrome lined.  I will also note that I have no problem with the gas system as it appears to work just fine on my rifle and I have no intention of using standard handguards on this particular upper.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been gone for two weeks out of the country and just got back. It looks like the chambers are indeed chrome lined, so no worries from me. Just for clarification, I did use a chamber brush, not a bore brush on my chamber before I left and could not get the chamber to be bright and shiny, but I didn't soak it in CLP. I'll clean it more thoroughly sometime this week, but it sounds like I don't have anything to worry about.

Glad it's not a problem!
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Put another quick 100 or so rounds through my gun.  Swapped out the H2 for an H buffer, cleaned the chamber and bore with a snake and chambermaid. Ammo was M193 Winchester, Federal.  I had 2 jams; the second round failed to extract 2nd casing fired, and another that ErnieB experienced.  Shot the gun at a 200 hard plate and 400 yard gong, and using Kentucky windage, was hitting within 3-5 shots. I've never shot an AR past 200.

Looks like this gun just needed to be broken in.  I've got just shy of 500 rounds through the pipe, so that's acceptable to me so far.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Taking the middy to a 2 day 'Fighting with Firearms at Night' Class tomorrow (www.pfctraining.com). Last weekend, i put a quick 4 mags through this gun, using M193 with NO failures. Also sighted in the EOTech 552, with the Larue BUIS.  Cleaned it, and plan on showcasing this thing at the class.  Estimated 800 or so rounds needed.

ETA: Got back from the course early this morning. Two day course; the first day went from 3pm - 3 am (!); day 2 from 5pm - 130am.  I probably shot about 300 rounds with the rifle during the class, and it worked without any malfs. the only one i experienced was my EOTech falling off the rifle during transition drills. I was hoping for a higher round count, but this was more of a tactics class, rather shooting.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The GI rod will spin easily.  Put the chamber brush on the 'T'-handle with the T folded in against the rod and put a plain cleaning rod section thru the hole in the other end.

Spin away.

The GI rod may spin easily; but I didn't have a GI rod. I had your standard commercial cleaning rod (pistol) with a GI chamber brush - and that doesn't work so well because the rod spins.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#37]
FWIW, mine is definitely CL and shoots great.  My "semi-rapid" fire (about 1 shot/second per mag) groups at 100yrds using my 2MOA Aimpoint M3 create "one ragged 2.0 - 2.5 inch hole" (as long as I fire 100+ rounds ;) )....not bad when you consider the 2MOA dot.  I haven't tried shooting my rifle past 150yrds yet, so I have no info on 200yd groups.  Also, I haven't had any FTFs yet (total rd count = (only) 740 - mostly XM193, some X855 and AE 55gr.).

I'm happy with my barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#38]
[ETA: oops wrong thread.  I didn't mean to resurrect a month-old thread.

Bottom line: I like the barrel]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
FWIW, mine was a standard buffer.  My cases were sticking so badly, the case rims were being ripped off the cases.

+1

I also have a LMT "enhanced" () bolt. I thought that may have been the culprit but apparently not

ETA: I had it happen twice, once with old WOLF and once with Swiss 62 gr.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top