User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This thread hijack SUCKS! Let's hear more stuff from the sandbox.

YEAH!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Tangochaser, Good luck over there amd when are you gonna have pics of your kit?

Justin
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]

TC I have a couple of questions for ya. How are most units over there dealing with individuals modifying their own weapons? My unit is going back over in January and we will not be issued A4s. I was thinking of bringing enough parts to do my own M4 conversion. Maybe even a 10.5 from Wes. Also are Off the wall batteries like CR 123 and aimpoint batteries available at all or is it strictly bring your own?

The unit here don't seem to care about modifications as long as you qualify with the new setup. If it increases your 1st round hit capability, it seems to be ok. Maybe I get away with it because I'm a MSG, but I've converted 9 M16s to M4s within my own battalion. CR123 batteries are in short supply.I am now using Army issue K123LA-1, Kodak camera batteries. They don't last as long but they are free. Here is the NSN 6135-01-351-1131. Order them by the case. They come 12 to a box and I think 20 boxes to a case.

Tangochaser, Good luck over there amd when are you gonna have pics of your kit?

I'll get off my ass and take some pictures tommorrow. I picked up a shotgun from an IC today. It is a Hayard 12ga. Never heard of one but it has an aluminum receiver with a splattering of black paint on it. I think one of the trigger group pins is a ball point pen, but I can't be sure. I think I'll test fire it with a 50 foot lanyard.

I put some pictures of an Iraqi made AK over on the AK47 site. It has a built in grenade launcher site and built in flip up night sites.

And I'm pretty sure the shit will start before the 30th. I'm gonna start a pool to see if they blow up the power station or the refiner first.
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, here's my kit.

Bushmaster M4 upper on Army issue M16 lower, Cav Arms stock set, Surefire G2 light (painted tan) with GG&G hand guard mount and Fobus Surefire light mount (painted tan), KAC vertical grip with Ranger Joe's cheap rail, tan Spec-Ops "Mamba" sling, Hatch knee and elbow pads, Armor Shield "Ranger" vest, Spec-Ops X2 ammo pouches and small light/mag pouches, tan Nomex gloves, cheap Timex digital watch ($19.95), ESS goggles, SOE drop leg mag pouch, and Army issue birth control glasses.

And the Polaris Ranger with the cooler in the back is my daily ride. I can beat the QRF to anywhere on the base.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice TANGOCHASER, now we just need to get you some optics  
Stay safe and keep makin us all proud!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow...makes me swell up with patriotic pride......

Wait a sec, are you wearing ANY body armor or vests?

Ben
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#7]
If I remember correctly you  built your m4.   What brand of barrel are you using?  Is that a Colt m16a2 lower?   thanks   Never mind,  I didnt read under your picture before I posted.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't see it... hug.gif
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Nevermind, nice setup.hug.gif
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck and stay as safe as you can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can't see it...

But sure sounds cool.

Ditto.  Keep low and Godspeed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No takers from the gamers? How about a easy gimmee. When was the last time you searched a building expecting to have to shoot someone.....

Stick - what can I say....beautiful / on point / perfect / LMAO

The only advantages we had was we were in the house, they were clearing it, we had more guys and the squad didn't know we were in the house (they thought they were doing a walk thru with no one there) so we have the surprise

guardian855 - while I know you know this - for anyone else that doesn't get it - there are NO other advantages to be had.

IDPA will give you a bit more insight into tactics but as much as the IDPA guys will gnash their teeth at this next statement It is a shooting GAME as well .

IPSC-GUY - yeah that loose interpretation of cover, need to stay planted till the mag is fully seated, need to put the mag back in your pocket before you begin to fire (tac reload), ability to stand in the open and reload by first removing a partial mag and then replacing it with a fresh one (retention reload) really does go a long way toward giving the IDPA'ers reason to whine that it is not just a game.

TC - you make us all proud. Take care.

Link Posted: 6/28/2004 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Rats All I get is a red X
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
IPSC IS A FUCKING GAME.

Doc

I used to play a lot of Half-Life, does that count

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, I'm an IPSC shooter and I have no doubt that if I were sent to Iraq today, I'd probably be on my way home the next day in a BB. A BIG salute to those of you who do it for real.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And this one time at the range a "SPECIAL FORCES TEAM" could not out shoot 5 B class IPSC shooters.........These were trained combat expereicned men.......

Now what do you think would happen in the real world if you trained them there 5 B class IPSC shooters in the art of CQB and gave them 1 hour of real combat?????? My money says that would be one bad ass real world team.

Don't knock the civilian shooters to bad, many of the proven techniques used in combat come from civilians.

Negative. While they may wind up being better shooters, the Special Forces guys have experince target shooting against targets that shoot back! A major difference in my opinion.

"ready...ready...BANG!"
vs.
[Private Ryan sounds in the background]"holy shit!, holy shit! shoot him! get some!!!"

oops. I posted directly after I read his post. Apparently everyone responded in a similar manner.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone repost this picture so it stays. I use printroom .com but the pictures don't last.

And stop highjacking my thread with your opinions on IPSC or other gun games. This is dodge the bullet here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can someone repost this picture so it stays.

Done.

I wont show it for bandwidth, but the link is here....

images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3B6%3B%3A%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B8%3B%3D833%3DXROQDF%3E232356%3A7979%3A8ot1lsi

There until you tell me to pull it. You have mail.

Link Posted: 6/28/2004 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Sinistral throws down the OWNAGE AGAIN!
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice picture TC, stay safe, we are all praying for your safe and fast return.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]
TC,

How do your guys manage to see and return fire from those small armored window?  A regular armored window is restrictive enough.  Then again I've never been shot at in a vehicle only dismounted and value my vision.  Finally got our minigun mounted on a gun truck.  We had couple rockets landed within 200m again last night.  Got issued a M9 today which brings my assigned weapons up to 5 (M4A1, M14 National Match, M79, and a M240).  Watch your six brother.

CD
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#23]
"Finally got our minigun mounted on a gun truck"

Pic please.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"Finally got our minigun mounted on a gun truck"

Pic please.

CD, should we post the pics from PS?  

Your call, I have them saved.

Link Posted: 6/29/2004 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Wait a sec, are you wearing ANY body armor or vests?

Ben

My vest is an Armor Shield brand vest with SAPI plates in 3 color desert with 3 color desert Spe-Ops brand X2 pouches. It aint issue but it looks cool.

CD,

I've always said the perfect gunvee should have a minigun. Your guys here have TSX Super Swamper tires on their gunvees. Pretty narly. And we don't fire from those small windows. The chain of command is more worried about surviving the blast than shooting back. We leave the return fire up to the hatch gunner.

Competition Shooting is a valuable training tool for pure shooting skills....

I concur. The only way to get good is shoot more. First you have to learn to shoot, then you learn how to apply those shooting techniques. I competed in NRA small bore competition before I joined the Army and have been in a few different type of competitions since then.

I also believe in "One team, one fight". If you know more than me, I'm all ears. If I know more than you, what do you want to know?

CavVet, Thanks. Resend your email to [email protected]. The other email address expired and I can't get it renewed from here.

SinistralRifleman,
I get a lot of "Where did you get those from" questions from newbies and operators alike. And yeah I plug you guys when I can. My 1SG has the tan M4 set on the M4 I built for him. The buttstock latch screw was out of adjustment and wouldn't go on the buffer tube, but it was an easy fix.

Damn it's good to be at the top of the food chain.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#27]
No offense MSG, but I thought for sure you could "procure" some KAC RAS action for them guns!  Hook or crook baby!
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Can someone repost this picture so it stays. I use printroom .com but the pictures don't last.

Link Posted: 6/29/2004 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#29]
pics stays til you say it goes
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

members.cox.net/middlechildmind/tango.jpg

tangochaser-   what is that "wall" to your right in the picture?    Is that  a perimeter wall, or part of a structure?    It looks like there is a round structure behind you made out of the same stuff.    Is that the local building material?   what is it?

thanks

Link Posted: 6/29/2004 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#31]

No offense MSG, but I thought for sure you could "procure" some KAC RAS action for them guns! Hook or crook baby!

I tried to order the KAC hand guards but the code came back "Command Directed". Basically it means there is a captain sitting at DISCOM that determines if you can order the hand guards. The lower hand guards came in but I doubt I will ever see the upper guards.

The only thing not mounted on my M4 is my PEQ-2. I'll put it on if I think I'll be out after dark. It gets banged around too much for daily wear.

tangochaser- what is that "wall" to your right in the picture? Is that a perimeter wall, or part of a structure? It looks like there is a round structure behind you made out of the same stuff. Is that the local building material? what is it?

That wall is known as a Hesco barrier. It is wire screen with a cloth liner that hold dirt or sand. They are used to stop bomb blast and protect against mortars. I've assembled about 300 of these since I've been here. They worked well against the car bpmb we had on 1 June. Almost no damage.

Here is a better picture of my M4. I change out the Cav Arms grip cause it moved my hand back far enough it changed my trigger finger position and made the trigger feel heavier and it is noticeably more narrow.  I've tried the TangoDown, Fobus and Cav Arms grips but I prefer the original grip. Now if someone will just make it in Coyote Brown.

Link Posted: 6/29/2004 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#34]
When I get back to the states, I'm going to go to Gunsite, Blackwater, Thunder Ranch, or another quality shooting school. I am going to expand my shooting skill in rifle, pistol and shotgun. I want to get back into competition and am lookin g at IDPA and 3 gun matches.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Tangochaser do you mind if I add your pictures to the military and law enforcement gallery on our site?

Go ahead, by all means. I'd be honored. I like your products. Very durable and high in the cool factor. I wish you could make or get someone else to do a run of the standard A2 grip in coyote brown though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#36]
TC - any perceptable change in the mood of the people in the last day or two now that the hand over is complete?
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]
TC - Thank you for posting your pictures.  More importantly, thank you for your service.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Besides the IPSC stuff, this is probably one of the best threads i have honestly seen on the site.

Thank you TC.

Link Posted: 6/29/2004 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Give them hell. I wrote Jackson. Give them more hell.

rk
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#40]

TC - any perceptable change in the mood of the people in the last day or two now that the hand over is complete?

Without violating OPSEC (Operational Security), It varies from place to place. Some FOBs are still receiving regular attacks while others are quiet. I think the early hand over screwed up the insurgents attack plans.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Can I presume that those guys who bought M16s and M4s with State Department-issued end user certificates will NOT be (legally) bringing those rifles (or at least the receivers) back with them? I presume they'll be "hand me downs" to be sold to the next bunch to come in on rotation, or something like that?

I am under the impression that all end user certificate weapons belong to the companies the ICs work for and are not personally owned. Don't know for sure.

How often have YOU gotten into firefights? And how much ammo do you consider to be a practical average daily ration given your circumstances?

I have not been in a direct firefight yet. I have fired shots at rock chuckers. ROE didn't allow me to waste a guy for throwing rocks. Most guys over here do not see direct action as most fights are indirect artillery or IEDs or RPGs from a distance. The insurgents don't stand and fight. Last time they did was in Sammarra and the SF guys killed 141. Basic load of 210 is good for most. I carry around 270 when I leave the FOB just in case.

How many people are you sure that you've sent to the great pig farm in the sky?

I have not done so this trip but I did whack 15 in desert storm with an artillery rocket.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Can I presume that those guys who bought M16s and M4s with State Department-issued end user certificates will NOT be (legally) bringing those rifles (or at least the receivers) back with them? I presume they'll be "hand me downs" to be sold to the next bunch to come in on rotation, or something like that?

I am under the impression that all end user certificate weapons belong to the companies the ICs work for and are not personally owned. Don't know for sure.

How often have YOU gotten into firefights? And how much ammo do you consider to be a practical average daily ration given your circumstances?

I have not been in a direct firefight yet. I have fired shots at rock chuckers. ROE didn't allow me to waste a guy for throwing rocks. Most guys over here do not see direct action as most fights are indirect artillery or IEDs or RPGs from a distance. The insurgents don't stand and fight. Last time they did was in Sammarra and the SF guys killed 141. Basic load of 210 is good for most. I carry around 270 when I leave the FOB just in case.

Awwww, shucks!

How many people are you sure that you've sent to the great pig farm in the sky?

I have not done so this trip but I did whack 15 in desert storm with an artillery rocket.

Well that makes it all better!
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry, No pics of the miniguns yet.  Photos I had were left in the States and I need to get another digital camera.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Competition Shooting is a valuable training tool for pure shooting skills....

That's why all the matches I attend at least 33-50% of the shooters are active duty, reserve, or retired military, or active duty/reserve law enforcement.  I've personally met Special Forces, Air force Para-rescue, Marines, regular soldiers, Department of Energy guys, assorted SWAT Team members, and average beat cops.

Civilian competition shooters were using reflex sights, dual optics, and a number of other things before the military or law enforcement even thought of doing so.  Civilian competition shooting drives innovation in products and techniques that are later applied to real world applications.

Quoted:

Quoted:
And this one time at the range a "SPECIAL FORCES TEAM" could not out shoot 5 B class IPSC shooters.........These were trained combat expereicned men.......

You're joking, right?

Evidently you haven't been around many SF in your time, or you wouldn't have made a comment like this.

It's actually very likely.  I've seen it happen before.  To win in IPSC you do have to game it some, but there is also the pure shooting skills aspect involved.  The people who do it all the time for fun and do not have to learn any other skills, will always be better than people who have to learn a multitude of skills, one of which happens to be shooting.

I recently shot a full-auto match with a friend that just got back from a year in Iraq.  I beat him badly by about 50%…this isn’t to say he is a bad soldier, just that I am a better shooter.  Would I be as good as him at doing patrols in a hostile enemy city?  Definitely not, I have no experience doing anything like that….I would listen to what he had to say and do what he told me.  Likewise when it came to shooting instruction, I gave him advice and worked him through some drills and his proficiency increased.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to see those same B class shooters go against that same SF team using simmunitions. It would be interesting to soo who "out shoots" who on that day.

One of the training schools in Phoenix does just that.  Another local instructor frequently sends out his LE students to shoot matches for two reasons 1) to humble them so they know there are people that can shoot better than them, 2) so they can understand if they can’t hit static targets in a timely manner that aren’t shooting back how can they do it in real life.

Quoted:
Man, how did this go from "Run and Gun" observations and IC equipment to IPSC bashing?

It seems really ridiculous to me….we’re all Americans and we’re all on the same team.  The types of serious shooting we do differ, but we can all learn things from each other.  Getting all worked up about the way we do things different is energy directed in the wrong direction IMHO.  Take what knowledge and skills you can from each discipline and apply it to what you do.

As someone involved in the shooting sports, there are a lot of things that go on that I don't agree with, believe to be impractical, unfair, or against the spirit of particular matches....but I just have to deal with it.  I still enjoy shooting the matches and believe them to be valuable training tools.  We are also trying to get some competitions going that are more practical/real world oriented with less potential for gaming.  It's going to take people coming to them and participating to get them off the ground and going though.

Competing in action shooting sports has drastically helped me improve my shooting skills over the past 3 years.  It also helped me and others at the company I work for come up with ideas for new products or product improvements that are now being used by professionals around the world in the global war on terror.  Likewise, I have learned things from military and law enforcement personnel that have helped me become a better competition shooter, and improved my skill at arms so that I feel better prepared should I ever be called to defend myself, my family, my state or my country.

BTW Tangochaser I like the Coyote Brown furniture on your carbine.  Stay safe.

Sinistral, I will be moving up to Phoenix in November for school and I would love to get involved in the shooting sports.  It is something that I have always wanted to do, but I do not know anyone that competes so it was never practical for me to get involved on my own as I would not know the format or techniques.  If you would be interested in "taking me under your wing" once I move to Phoenix I would be ever so appreciative.  I already have my own guns and gear, sans a shotgun for 3-gun comps, but I plan to remedy that soon.  If you are interested please let me know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
When I get back to the states, I'm going to go to Gunsite, Blackwater, Thunder Ranch, or another quality shooting school. I am going to expand my shooting skill in rifle, pistol and shotgun. I want to get back into competition and am lookin g at IDPA and 3 gun matches.

If you get to Blackwater I will hook you up with the IPSC match there and I can point you to a couple of IDPA match too.  Just IM me

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#47]
TC - I am given the impression that alot of the contracted security work is in mass, on foot or vehicle. Without spilling the beans on anything, are there individuals dedicated to the task of sniping and or observation / recon - esp on heavily traveled routes / route for the next day - watching for the placement of IEDs or cars that are not from the area that "just get parked"?

If so, and if you can say - what is SOP for these guys?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#48]

TC - I am given the impression that alot of the contracted security work is in mass, on foot or vehicle. Without spilling the beans on anything, are there individuals dedicated to the task of sniping and or observation / recon - esp on heavily traveled routes / route for the next day - watching for the placement of IEDs or cars that are not from the area that "just get parked"?

If so, and if you can say - what is SOP for these guys?

I can only speak to what I have seen. The contracted security guys here provide security to the DOD contracted construction companies. They travel in small groups to and from the work sites in suburbans, Tahoes, and F350s. There are some here doing VIP security. Had some stop by here to visit a sheik from the area. Most of those are in the Bagdad area. Can't talk SOPs as they are working and don't want to jepordize their safety.

I have not seen or heard of any contracted security guys doing any other sneak and peek stuff. A few have told me they are about to do some stay behind missions on their own as they are getting tired of the IEDs. Probably just talk.

Link Posted: 6/30/2004 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#50]

BTW Tangochaser, you're famous www.cavalryarms.com/MLE.html

Dang, there goes that secret assignment with CAG. Thanks much, I appreciate it. I'll try and get my 1SGs picture. He has the tan set on his M4.

The way guns get over there and who actually owns them, is a big grey area having talked to contractors and people deploying over there. Many bring their own or at least their own components. When you're making $500-$1000 or more a day, having to leave the gun there if necessary when you come home isn't a big deal.

The parent company to the guys here all have end user certificates through the state department. Some of these guys have been here since last year and just got their M4s this month. Most were using captured enemy weapons when they got here. A lot still use RPKs and PKMs as they run when everything else quits. I'd tell you how they got their pistols here but I might have to use the technique myself. Most are using whatever they can find. I saw a guy yesterday using a Beretta model 51. It still has the heel release for the magazine. Another showed me his Sten a few days ago.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top