BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By bigbore:
I was thinking more like a 6" grapefruit, and with the first shot.  Next time a group of friends are together, pin up  6" balloons at 50yds, and see how many can hit it with the first shot.  

The "baloon drill" is one I run for a group of us who get together monthly.  Get your guys in a single file line, 1st takes the shot and if he missed the next guy up takes the shot and so on until all the balloons are broke.  Dont take your time, step up and shoot.

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this fourm would miss with the first shot.

Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
With 54 year old eyes, iron sights are problematic at best.

That's funny, my 63-year-old eyes with bifocals have no problems with irons.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to give this another go soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I was at the "pit" last session and was routinely flipping CDs (just under 5 inches) at about 75 yards with my 10 22 and 15 22 (both with scope –– but the original said "with any sights") unsupported –– no problem.  I'll try it next time with my LAR 15 –– but I didn't try it last time (and do not hold out a lot of hope either) because it has a 24 " bull barrel and weighs about a ton, I have trouble lifting it let alone aiming.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I should've taken the test sooner in the range trip. I was already drenched in sweat by the time I tried the challenge. The first 20ish rounds are with the Vortex SPARC and ended up low from it being sighted at 100 and me forgetting to compensate. The rest are with irons, and I remembered to put the post higher.

I made myself feel better afterwards by destroying a Targetz fly target with the benchrest AR.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mmmmmmatt] [#6]
Originally Posted By james1058:
I'm sooo disappointed, here I was expecting blown up fruit! Someone blow a watermelon up or something

Not an Ar but check out the "Shattermellons" video
other videos there are ok too

I have taken my daughter out to shoot with me, we stopped by the store and bought some coconuts, pineapples, cantaloupes, watermelon and a bag of apples. With several different weapons, including the AR, we preceded to destroy the produce. I will have to say the DE 44 mag done the best work on the watermelon. Range was 25-50 yards. Not all were 1st hit shots but it made for a fun day plus showed my daughter how devastating each caliper was.

I blow up watermelons, coconuts, pineapples etc. with my Arsenal SGL-21 w/ Wolf military classic hollow point loads and it is epic to say the least isn't it?! Hollows really explode fruit from long ranges

As for the OP thats how i learned how to shoot, i first started shooting my 16" ARs offhand (standing) in the deserts of ARizona w/ irons so i could do it fo sho
Results to come shortly
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Went to the range today and thought of this thread.

Not a grape fruit but... 6"x8" steel plate at 100 yards. Unsupported, standing, irons, PMC Bronze.

First shot was dead center, second was high right, third was low left off the plate when I sent it.

Didn't get a picture of me standing but this is my buddy on the same range. (my tool is on the right)

It was a fun challenge. Wasn't sure I was going to get it but it turns out the Marine Corps taught me right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 6:06:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azalin] [#8]
Saw this thread the other night and had to try the challenge myself.  Both groups where shot from the standing, off hand position, squared up on the targets which where 50 yards away.  I used the rifle pictured and shot 55gr PMC ammunition. The five shot group on the left was shot with iron sights while the group on the right was shot with the Aimpoint. All shots hit the grape fruits and these represent the first 10 shots of the day for me.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Konstanty:
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
With 54 year old eyes, iron sights are problematic at best.

That's funny, my 63-year-old eyes with bifocals have no problems with irons.

Well good for you, but MoonDancer's problem is quite common with middle aged shooters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Azalin:
Saw this thread the other night and had to try the challenge myself.  Both groups where shot from the standing, off hand position, squared up on the targets which where 50 yards away.  I used the rifle pictured and shot 55gr PMC ammunition. The five shot group on the left was shot with iron sights while the group on the right was shot with the Aimpoint. All shots hit the grape fruits and these represent the first 10 shots of the day for me.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b435/FWThompson/DSC00853.jpg

Is your iron sight not zeroed the same as the Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The left target is upside down.  Irons and optics have the same zero. I find that standing, squared up on the target, shooting at 50 yards without support makes it hard for me to consistently place the holes in the exact same position when transitioning between targets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Schulze:
I witnessed a man hit a slightly smaller grapefruit sized target (12x18 at 200 yards) off hand 8 times in a row after running a mile up a hill. It was Tim from Tactical Practical.

Only a  mile?  What a wuss!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 4:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twentyfourseven] [#13]
I'm going to try this as soon as I'm done moving.

Does anyone know what size the black is for the USMC 200 yards standing?  I'd imagine if you can go 5/5 on that then you can do the grapefruit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Thread resurrection.  I'm trying this soon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Coke cans at 50 yds, no magnification.  I shoot so often on my property that it's not a problem for me, but a lot of guys struggle with that shot.  

I can't shoot groups for shit, though...too impatient.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Forgot all about this thread . . . . I'll have to get outside and try my baby out at 50yds
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Wheeeeeeerrrrrrre's MOLON?

This thread is so old I can hear bones creaking.

One of several dozen epic Molon threads.  Search the archives for any and all threads he started, and learn.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 8:25:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alloutmx] [#18]
I started building my rifle shortly after i learned i would be having a daughter. She was born 3 days ago. Hopefully my BCG will ship sometime soon and we'll call it a wrap ;) ...as my daughter is crapping her pants on my lap
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Geeez, I can shoot that good with a stock handgun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My god, I just cleaned out my gun bag and there were 2 grapefruit targets....
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried to hit 20 gauge hulls at 40 yards yesterday, standing off-hand. I failed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By leakycow:
Thread resurrection.  I'm trying this soon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#23]
If I remember the targets I'm gonna try this at the range tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Geohans:
Wheeeeeeerrrrrrre's MOLON?

This thread is so old I can hear bones creaking.

One of several dozen epic Molon threads.  Search the archives for any and all threads he started, and learn.
View Quote

Come back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ColdBlood:
I use Coke cans at 50 yds, no magnification.  I shoot so often on my property that it's not a problem for me, but a lot of guys struggle with that shot.  

I can't shoot groups for shit, though...too impatient.
View Quote

Same here but me and some buddies use skunked beer in cans and get out to about 75 yards with irons sights. My Sig M400 enhanced is deadly at that game
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand why you're wasting valuable paper by shooting at pictures of grapefruit when you could use a real grapefruit instead:)

Ken
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#29]
yeah, grapefruit grows on trees, paper doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By hotdog250j:

yeah, grapefruit grows on trees, paper doesn't.
View Quote

Fucking awsome shit right there!  
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]
This thing needs to be resurrected.

I printed up a target and put ten round into it yesterday.

Rifle;

ArmaLite AR10BA4 7.62/.308 caliber.  Iron sights.  50 yards, standing, no sling like the rules say, I guess.  Load was Speer 150 grain BTSP + 43 grains H4895.

Missed it clean twice.  Well, you can see that...  LOL.

The Rifle:

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#32]
nice rifle...but a4's have a a2 front sight assembly...not a flip up...they also do not have that fancy slip ring.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
nice rifle...but a4's have a a2 front sight assembly...not a flip up...they also do not have that fancy slip ring.
View Quote

It's an A4.

I think you got it backwards and are referring to the FS base being a bolt-on rail base.

It did have when I got it but ADCO helped me out with the front end and pinned on the A2 FSB.

Here it is pre-A2 FSB.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I never got issued an A4 with a flip up front sight. EVER.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
I never got issued an A4 with a flip up front sight. EVER.
View Quote

I'm missing your point.

What rifle are you referring to?

Neither the factory original rifle nor the rifle as it is set up now have a flip-up front sight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
The rifle in his picture does not have a flip up front sight
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
View Quote

Correct.

Not now, not before, not ever.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By EVR:

Correct.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:

Correct.

I think he was referring to OPs rifle.

I'll have to see if I can do this challenge next time I get out to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Good grief I just went thru the thread.

10 cotton pickin pages and maybe what 4 or 5 actual shot targets?

Wow.

With thousands of members, I wonder what percentage of the folks here ever pop a cap...?

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah I was referring to OP's rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Shoot a paper grapefruit?

Don't you guys have hedge apples? Plus, they 'splode when you hit 'em.

Reactive targets FTW.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#42]
Originally Posted By viator:
Shoot a paper grapefruit?

Don't you guys have hedge apples? Plus, they 'splode when you hit 'em.

Reactive targets FTW.

View Quote

What post number is your entry on?

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#43]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

I'll have to see if I can do this challenge next time I get out to shoot.
View Quote

If you like to shoot, here are a couple more. They are a lot of fun.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1518887___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/619213__OFFICIAL_ARFCOM_AR_NON_MOA__SHTF__CHALLENGE__.html
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I shot this on a 25 m zero target today.  Group was 4.4" with all rounds in a 2.5" radius of center but the group looked embarrassing.   I shot it off the cuff at a pretty fast cadence on the way to 100 yd targets with a 16" hbar configured spr with my atlas bipod out front.  Gun was heavy and not very offhand friendly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Green0:
I shot this on a 25 m zero target today.  Group was 4.4" with all rounds in a 2.5" radius of center but the group looked embarrassing.   I shot it off the cuff at a pretty fast cadence on the way to 100 yd targets with a 16" hbar configured spr with my atlas bipod out front.  Gun was heavy and not very offhand friendly.
View Quote

Isn't the point to post the targets?

The only way these "Challenges" are productive is if guys post their results.

It is especially helpful to beginners to see what the gamut of targets shot by others looks like.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#46]
That's why I'm glad we shoot standing sitting and prone every year.
300 standing is pretty fun but you'd be surprised how many Marines actually suck at shooting...
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Newtothisthing:
300 standing is pretty fun but you'd be surprised how many Marines actually suck at shooting...
View Quote

I think you should rephrase that "shooters" instead of "Marines".

As for Marines, you might be right, but there is a reason The Bench Rest is the Golden Calf Idol of the American Shooter.

Even the insurance companies agree;  we all know how many ranges all over the USA limit shooting to rifles in contact with the bench.

I have a thousand-meter range on the ranch and we rarely use a bench rest.  However, I do not consider myself a very good standing shooter because I do not do it enough.  I shoot mostly from sitting as it is the most practical field position for me and I kill thousands of varmints.  Watch a guy that can really shoot from off his hind legs and it is a marvel to behold.  There are a few that can.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Newtothisthing:

Nope I mean Marines... I see it every year I shoot 339 give or take  every year  out of 350 total points..
I qualify high expert and I still see Marines who can't shoot at all.... Like they barely pass by one or two points which is sad.
The  A4 with a 4xACOG is the most simple thing to shoot with all the way to 500 yards  it's easy for me to put 10 shots in a group just larger then a coconut at 500
I've even seen people qualify with a m4 a high expert

I just guess some people didn't pay attention in boot camp when they got taught the fundamentals lol.

Btw I'm stationed on camp Lejeune
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#49]
orange at about 75yrds  with my g-17 had to walk about 4 in to hit but all within 6 inches or so.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#50]

It is especially helpful to beginners to see what the gamut of targets shot by others looks like.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Green0:

I described the target.  If I posted it, it would look exactly like that.
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top